Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 16 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-06-15 02:09PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Provincial Playdowns

Since its close to the end of the year and close to provincial playdowns time I just thought I would start this thread.

we can post here not only to discuss who we think will win now but during the provincial playdowns we can use this thread to discuss whats going on around the country.

My preliminary predictions for womens playdowns:

British Columbia - Kelly Scott.
Back up pick - Corynn Brown

B.C is pretty open with Kelly no longer as dominant as she was in the province. Sarah Wark, Patti Knezevic, Kesa Van Osch and Corynn Brown will all challenge.

Alberta - Val Sweeting.
Back up pick - Chelsea Carey

Its hard to see someone stopping val from getting out a 3rd time in a row. Carey and Rocque and maybe Kleibrink are the biggest threats but if she plays well she gets out.

Saskatchewan - Stefanie Lawton.
Back up pick - Michele Englot

Stef has it pretty much her way in saskatchewan but they have struggled this year at times and there are challengers that could get out if she struggles in provincials. Englot is probably the best bet to get out if she doesnt but it could also be chantelle eberle.

Manitoba - Kerri Einarson
Back up pick - Kristy Mcdonald

there are probably only 3 or 4 teams here that have a legit shot of winning. Einarson and Mcdonald lead the way and Thurston and Spencer are the other 2. Einarson has been on the door for a couple years. Think she breaks through this year

Ontario - Rachel Homan
Back up pick - Sherry Middaugh

Rachel is the hot favorite, not to many would pick against her. There arent many teams that can stand up to her here. Sherry is her biggest threat . Flaxey and hastings would be dark horse picks here

Northern Ontario - Tracy Fleury
Back up pick - Krista Mcarville

There are really only 2 teams in contention here. anyone but Krista or Tracy winning would be a massive surprise. While I did pick Tracy to win Krista and her team have won 2 events this season and it wouldnt surprise me at all if she won.

Quebec - Marie-France Larouche
Back up pick - Lauren Mann

should come down to those 2. Marie-France Larouche should get through if she's playing well. she has the best team there by far and is probably quebec's only real shot at playoffs at the scotties. Roxanne Perron is the darkhorse

New Brunswick - Sylvie Robichaud
Back up pick - Melissa Adams

I dont know many teams from New Brunswick so I cant say much here. would be surprising if it wasnt Sylvie since Andrea doesnt appear to be active

NewFoundland - Heather Strong
Back up Pick -

well..i had Guzzwell as my main pick before I saw that she has joined forces with Heather this year.

Nova Scotia - Mary Anne Arsenault
Back up pick - Theresa Breen

Theresa Breen seems like the main rival to Mary Anne. things might get interesting if Mary Fay competes this year. might have her as a darkhorse

Prince Edward Island - Suzanne Birt
Back up pick - Kim Dolan?

I dont even know who to pick as back up, would be a massive surprise if Suzanne didnt win here

Im Not sure of any other teams from the Noryh aside from the teams were familiar with so im going with Kerry Galusha and Sarak Koltun to win Northwest Territiories and Yukon respectively

Last edited by misty1 on 12-06-15 at 08:33PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-06-15 02:35PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Picks for mens playdowns:

British Columbia - Jim Cotter
Back up pick - Dean Joanisse

Jim has really become the dominant force in British Columbia. he has strong challengers like Brent peirce, Dean Joanisse and Sean Geall but I think he'll get through

Alberta - Kevin Koe
Back up Pick - Brendan Bottcher

well kevin is the huge favorite but challengers like Brendan Bottcher, Charley Thomas and Mick Lizmore will make him work for it.Kind of sucks that I cant list Virtue as a contender or even darkhorse but at this rate he probably wont even be there.

Saskatchewan - Steve Laycock
Back up pick - Shaun Meachem

Laycock is the heavy favorite but this new Meachem rink is quietly having a solid season and Bruce Korte and Jeff Hartung always seem to be in the mix here

Manitoba - Mike Mcewen
Back up pick - Matt Dunstone

I really think Mike will get it this time. its hard to see how he can keep putting himself in that position and not win eventually and if he keeps doing it he will. I mean no disrespect to Reid and in all honesty I can see him winning but its tight between him and Dunstone for who I think could challenge Mike the most for the title.Im going with the youngster

Ontario - John Epping
Back up pick - Mark Kean

Like with Mike in Manitoba I think this will be the year John finally wins a provincial title. he has played a ton though so I just hope he doesnt suffer burnout when it comes time to get there. Kean will be tough and wo will guys like Balsdon.Glenn , i have a feeling will be hungry and motivated after missing it all last year and i wouldnt count on that happening again. I t wouldnt surprise me at all if he won again but i dont think he will.

Northern Ontario - Brad Jacobs
Back up pick - Dylan Johnston

Johnston did well to get to the semis last year. Going with him as my back up

Quebec - Jean Michel Menard
Back up pick - Guy Hemmings

Jean-Michel is so strong here its hard to go against him and picking Hemmings is definitely a long shot but..I had to go with something outside the box here

NewFoundland - Brad Gushue
Back up pick - Colin Thomas

I mean..I cant even remember the last time Brad lost in provincials..its ridiculous really. There probably isnt even a need for a back up pick but if he's not going to get out Colin Thomas seems like the team with the next best chance to do it

New Brunswick - Rene Comeau
Back up pick - James Grattan

Well i should probably pick Grattan but I need to make a pick thats not just going with the favorites here and Comeau has a lot of talent. Mallais should be there too

Nova Scotia - Shawn Adams
Back up pick - Jamie Danbrook

Tough to pick because most teams dont even get out so its hard to judge them accurately. Shawn Adams is a strong team. Jamie Murphy and Ian Fitzner lablanc will be contending too.

Prince Edward Island - Adam Casey
Back up pick - Robert Campbell

back up pick is a wild guess. apart from Casey everyone here is really close . Casey not having the best season but he should have his way here.

Taking Jamie Koe for Northwest Territories and Bob Smallwood for the Ykon

Last edited by misty1 on 12-06-15 at 03:24PM

12-06-15 03:04PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

Interesting not a word or mention of the Howard team in Ontario

12-06-15 03:12PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World
Interesting not a word or mention of the Howard team in Ontario

Yeah, that makes me feel stupid. cant believe I forgot to mention Glenn

12-06-15 08:06PM
NitDuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NitDuck Click here to Send NitDuck a Private Message Find more posts by NitDuck Add NitDuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NitDuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Interesting trivia question you raise on the last time Brad Gushue even suffered a loss at the provincial championships. It was way back in 2010. The guy who beat him...well I have an interview coming up with him for my #TwineTime blog. Should be published in the next few weeks

12-06-15 08:11PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Re: Provincial Playdowns

[QUOTE]Originally posted by misty1

Back up Pick - Marie Christianson

Marie is now playing in PEI with Suzanne Bert

12-06-15 08:11PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

more teams

Charley Thomas is having a good year in Alberta

Glenn Howard just might be tough enough to get ON one more time since he wants to take his lead and son thru some wins..
Rich Hart and Wayne Middaugh are still super good curlers as well
Dont think Epping has enough consistency to take it all.. saw that fragility in this Canada Cup

12-06-15 08:29PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: more teams

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
Charley Thomas is having a good year in Alberta

Glenn Howard just might be tough enough to get ON one more time since he wants to take his lead and son thru some wins..
Rich Hart and Wayne Middaugh are still super good curlers as well
Dont think Epping has enough consistency to take it all.. saw that fragility in this Canada Cup

John always has been, and i have a feeling always will be someone who is pretty up and down. but when he is on he is amazing, he's the kind of guy that can win games on his own. He got really close last year . late in the game it was more his team not giving him support than him fading away. I also saw that final and he came within an inch of making a really difficult shot to win on his last rock.

and lets give them some slack. they played 5 games in 24 hours so if they looked a little fragile toward the end its very understandable..and they still almost beat koe.

12-06-15 08:31PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Provincial Playdowns

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie
[QUOTE]Originally posted by misty1

Back up Pick - Marie Christianson

Marie is now playing in PEI with Suzanne Bert

thanks for the information. now i really dont know who to pick as my second choice for new foundland

12-06-15 08:33PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by NitDuck
Interesting trivia question you raise on the last time Brad Gushue even suffered a loss at the provincial championships. It was way back in 2010. The guy who beat him...well I have an interview coming up with him for my #TwineTime blog. Should be published in the next few weeks

can we get a hint?

12-06-15 08:34PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

McCarville has won two events this year on tour. Wouldn't surprise me if she beats Fleury. Sherry Middaugh will not go gently either.

I still like Glenn over Epping.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

12-06-15 08:42PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Re: Re: more teams

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

John always has been, and i have a feeling always will be someone who is pretty up and down. but when he is on he is amazing, he's the kind of guy that can win games on his own. He got really close last year . late in the game it was more his team not giving him support than him fading away. I also saw that final and he came within an inch of making a really difficult shot to win on his last rock.

and lets give them some slack. they played 5 games in 24 hours so if they looked a little fragile toward the end its very understandable..and they still almost beat koe.

John played great.

Saw him when he was younger and thought he'd be then next superstar from this province. Amazing talent with all the shots but like you said, tooooo streaky. Probably walks the tightrope more then anyone with strategy but you need the horses to pull it of consistently. Still have hope he can take it to the next level.

Last edited by Radio-Man on 12-06-15 at 09:05PM

12-06-15 08:44PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Question Newfoundland

Where is Stacie Devereaux ?
she was touted to be the next big female curler in NL..

12-06-15 08:50PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: more teams

quote:
Originally posted by Radio-Man

John played great.

Saw him when he was younger and thought he'd be then next superstar from this province. Amazing talent with all the shots but like you said, tooooo streaky. Probably walks the tightrope more then anyone with strategy but you need the horses to pull it off consistently. Still have hope he can take it to the next level.

well he's still pretty young, got lots of time. I do believe he has a brier in him. Like mcewen he keeps getting close but loses when he's near the finish line. no he hasnt made as many finals but the point is you cant be as good as both of those teams are and get to the final or final 3 or 4 as many times as they have and not have it work in your favor eventually. and then , i think once john and mike get that monkey off their backs the provincial titles will start coming.

I do think that the team he has now is the strongest he's ever had as a skip and will give him the best chance of winning ontario.

I love watching john play, not only because of the fact that he can be a human highlight reel but also just because of his passion. i love seeing that.

by the way, dont zones or regionals(cant remember which one) start soon? i know one of them takes place close to theend of the year

12-06-15 10:05PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

quote:
Picks for mens playdowns:

Manitoba - Mike Mcewen
Back up pick - Matt Dunstone

I really think Mike will get it this time. its hard to see how he can keep putting himself in that position and not win eventually and if he keeps doing it he will. I mean no disrespect to Reid and in all honesty I can see him winning but its tight between him and Dunstone for who I think could challenge Mike the most for the title.Im going with the youngster

I wouldn't rule out Reidarama for atleast a back up pick. Having said that, there's something seems to be missing with Reid whether its just needing a 5th player eg. Fowler or Stoughton (with Jeff calling the game but playing 2nd) or moving Derek Samagalski to playing 3rd. A great team but respectfully just not quite there over to the next level.

Mike McEwen shall get out of Manitoba within the next two years or He will be known as the Chicago Cubs of curling!

12-06-15 10:14PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by 5thstone

Mike McEwen shall get out of Manitoba within the next two years or He will be known as the Chicago Cubs of curling!

Nope. He'll just be the modern day Gary Ross.

12-07-15 12:56AM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Nicole Baldwin will come out of The Yukon. Koltun has taken the year off to concentrate on school.

12-07-15 01:37AM
NitDuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NitDuck Click here to Send NitDuck a Private Message Find more posts by NitDuck Add NitDuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NitDuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

can we get a hint?

He has curled out of Alberta the past few seasons and has found success at the BP Cup as well. If you follow my blog and read my #BetweenTheSheets interview in November with Kirk Muyres, you would know who he is

12-07-15 08:16AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by NitDuck

He has curled out of Alberta the past few seasons and has found success at the BP Cup as well. If you follow my blog and read my #BetweenTheSheets interview in November with Kirk Muyres, you would know who he is

i want to say matt blandford but im like 35% on that. its the only name that comes to mind. I know he has curled out east but i thought i was thinking nova scotia

12-07-15 09:22AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

BC Relegation

based on the BC women's team winning 1 game at the 2015 Scotties..

will they be playing in the Relegation round this STOH?

12-07-15 09:35AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: BC Relegation

quote:
based on the BC women's team winning 1 game at the 2015 Scotties..

will they be playing in the Relegation round this STOH?

yes they will.

12-07-15 11:09AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Unhappy Team Scott

with Jenna Schraeder gone and a new pull-together Team..
I hope Kelly can even win her way out of BC...

12-07-15 06:49PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

My predictions:

BC:
Winner: Scott
Runner-up: Van Osch

Alberta:
Winner: Sweeting
Runner-up: Carey

Saskatchewan:
Winner: Anderson
Runner-up: Lawton

Manitoba:
Winner: Einarson
Runner-up: McDonald

Ontario:
Winner: Homan
Runner-up: Flaxey

N. Ontario:
Winner: McCarville
Runner-up: Fleury

Quebec:
Winner: Mann
Runner-up: Larouche

Newfoundland:
Winner: Strong
Runner-up: Curtis

New Brunswick:
Winner: Robichaud
Runner-up: ?

Nova Scotia:
Winner: Arsenault
Runner-up: Fay

PEI:
Winner: Birt

NWT:
Winner: Galusha

Yukon:
Winner: ?

12-07-15 07:22PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Pretty much in line with my predictions other then SK.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

12-07-15 08:01PM
blid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blid Click here to Send blid a Private Message Find more posts by blid Add blid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blid
Knee-Slider

Re: Newfoundland

quote:
Where is Stacie Devereaux ?
she was touted to be the next big female curler in NL..

Stacie Devereaux is now Stacie Curtis, she does have a talented team but nothing close to what Heather has this year