Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-01-15 04:39PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
what i think is important here is that, from what i got from the interview ethan gave he was okay with korey coming on board. now , i have no reason to believe he's only being pc.

Sorry but I don't care what Ethan says nor how the USCA wraps this decision but you just do not replace a skip who won the USA Junior title after one game at Worlds. If Ethan says he is ok with the move, then he is just parroting the USCA line. This is just plain wrong.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-01-15 04:47PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Because they have the rights to the Olympics through...umm...at least 2020 (and I think longer, actually), so if we want to keep our little niche over on MSNBC...we gotta dance to their tune.

03-01-15 07:25PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Deez
Korey Dropkin is the USCA's chosen horse. He is our equivalent of David Murdoch. What they didn't show was the sniper bead on Ethan just off camera. I don't begrudge the direction the USCA is moving with High Performance, but they have proven time and time again that they themselves are incapable of executing any plan they theorize. Also, the ESPN3/TSN coverage has been excellent. I wonder how much money we could extract from ABC/Disney? If its greater/equal to the amount the USOC/NBC is giving us than I say we cut bait. NBC has been a media laughingstock for a decade now. Why hitch ourselves to a sinking ship?

Agreed, Regardless of what was said, if the HPP is holding all the keys, you'll say whatever they want you to say. So they do it with the adults, ok. But it's quite a shame and travesty to do it to the juniors who rightfully win. Absolutely disgusting move by USCA/HPP.

03-01-15 07:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

Sorry but I don't care what Ethan says nor how the USCA wraps this decision but you just do not replace a skip who won the USA Junior title after one game at Worlds. If Ethan says he is ok with the move, then he is just parroting the USCA line. This is just plain wrong.

oh i agree, its not right ever. the US team seems to have adopted the russian old system that the coach had of having the team be a revolving door.

wonder if the girls line up gets changed next game

03-01-15 08:27PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Next season why not forego potential upset at Jr Nationals and just send HPP team to Jr Worlds?

03-01-15 11:02PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I'll put $5 on the table that says they do exactly that.

03-02-15 10:55AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright
Is there some confusion regarding Cory (girl) and Korey (male)? It seems that Meyers is skipping against Canada. Has there been lineup changes already with the girls (or boys)?

There have not been lineup changes with the girls (so far) but Korey Dropkin was inserted at skip after the first game loss to SCO, moving Steven Szenple to the bench. Since then the boys beat NOR and lost to CAN and SWE.

I don't know if it would be better if Ethan Meyers is or isn't okay with the change. On the one hand, I hope he is for the team's sake at this year's Worlds. On the other hand, I hope he's just toeing the party line because this isn't good going forward.

03-02-15 11:22AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Next season why not forego potential upset at Jr Nationals and just send HPP team to Jr Worlds?

I can practically picture the rule change now... Just take the ambiguous team selection rules for The Continental Cup and replace "Continental Cup" with "Junior Worlds".

03-02-15 12:19PM
My three sons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for My three sons Find more posts by My three sons Add My three sons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My three sons
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yes, this is an absolute shame for USA Curling when the HPP Directors and Coaches feel that they have to intervene. This is after all Ethan Meyers' and his teams World Championships not the HPP's. Leave them alone and let them play.
I recognize with Cory Christensen's team that they had a 5 person team all year.
My wish is that both teams can be focused on being a team rather than having to look over their shoulders to see if the HPP director is going to pull rank and change the line-up.
Given the financial constraints of the USCA, why do they have such a huge entourage in Estonia? Someone help me on this.

03-02-15 02:46PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by My three sons

Given the financial constraints of the USCA, why do they have such a huge entourage in Estonia? Someone help me on this.

It seems that all sports have way too many administrative people at events. The past few years have demonstrated that USA Curling is clearly following their example. Unfortunately, it is those same admin people who think they are too important to be left at home. On the other hand, without all the admin folks at Jr Worlds team USA Jr Men may not have seen the wisdom of changing skips and benching their second man. Why should it matter that these guys worked hard all season to reach their goal of getting to Jr Worlds?

Last edited by dbsdbs on 03-02-15 at 05:10PM

03-02-15 08:24PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well both US teams are in tough now. obvious to say it but its make or break day for both teams tomorrow.

Men play switzerland and korea. switzerland looks amazing here so far and korea has given everyone they have played a tough match is cant be overlooked. I dont see them going 2-0 but dont see them going 0-2 either. predict they will be 1-1 and 2-4 at the end of the day.

women play just czech republic so will be 2-3

03-02-15 09:28PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Both USA Junior teams would have to be stuck in relegation for more than one Olympic cycle before any powers that be notice the Team USA ship is steaming towards a big iceberg named "Relegation". Next year, all of the lower ranked juniors from Asia, Europe and the lowest ranked from this "A" pool will have to face a relegation round and no amount of entourage or HP coaching staff can help on-ice when it matters except during the 5th end break and briefly for one coach intervention.

I'm rooting for any teams with guts and smarts on the ice.

03-02-15 09:31PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

The Korean young men and women had tough battles to get out of the Asian -Pacific qualifier. They are teams to watch closely.

03-03-15 09:16AM
ethan.b.meyers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ethan.b.meyers Click here to Send ethan.b.meyers a Private Message Find more posts by ethan.b.meyers Add ethan.b.meyers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ethan.b.meyers
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by My three sons
Yes, this is an absolute shame for USA Curling when the HPP Directors and Coaches feel that they have to intervene. This is after all Ethan Meyers' and his teams World Championships not the HPP's. Leave them alone and let them play.

This is not "my" World Championship, it's Team USA's.

Priority number one is to win as many games as possible. Everybody involved is on board with that and everybody is doing their absolute best to make that happen.

And as far as I'm aware, our "entourage" currently consists of one national coach for each team and the USCA Director of Communications.

03-03-15 09:17AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

us men put up a really good fight before going down on a last rock double to the swiss. unfortunately that probably ends their playoff hopes. sweden, canada, switzerland and scotland..its hard to see switzerland losing its last 4 or any of those other 3 losing 3 of their last 4

03-03-15 10:15AM
Asatru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Asatru Click here to Send Asatru a Private Message Find more posts by Asatru Add Asatru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Asatru
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by ethan.b.meyers

Priority number one is to win as many games as possible. Everybody involved is on board with that and everybody is doing their absolute best to make that happen.

What if the USCA does the same thing to Shuster in the upcoming Men's worlds? Bumps him to third, Takes out Hamilton, and Inserts Heath as the skip? Probably the exact same results as what's going on here, lots of Losses... Will any team ever have the balls to stand up to the USCA or not? It makes me sick to see how brainwashed they have everyone... Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the non-HP teams have their tails between their legs just because they one day hope to be on the HP team (ah hem Ethan)

Ethan... Take pride in the skip position; you have been your teams leader all year and fought for the right to represent the United States of America... It's your position, not Korey's... You earned it!

03-03-15 10:41AM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Well said Asatru.

03-03-15 11:00AM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Asatru

What if the USCA does the same thing to Shuster in the upcoming Men's worlds? Bumps him to third, Takes out Hamilton, and Inserts Heath as the skip? Probably the exact same results as what's going on here, lots of Losses... Will any team ever have the balls to stand up to the USCA or not? It makes me sick to see how brainwashed they have everyone... Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the non-HP teams have their tails between their legs just because they one day hope to be on the HP team (ah hem Ethan)

Ethan... Take pride in the skip position; you have been your teams leader all year and fought for the right to represent the United States of America... It's your position, not Korey's... You earned it!

It'd be interesting if they try to do that at Worlds. If USCA tries that, the team could "boycott" and refuse to play. That'd be some drama.

03-03-15 12:01PM
My three sons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for My three sons Find more posts by My three sons Add My three sons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My three sons
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by ethan.b.meyers

No Ethan it is YOUR TEAMS world championship. The FOUR of you earned the right to wear USA on your back. Win or lose the FOUR of you hold your heads high and play your hearts out.
I am sure the HPP directors are using scare tactics like unless you listen to our intructions you will not have the opportunity to participate in the HPP program in the future.
This part is BS.
I don't care how good Kory Dropkin is. He didn't earn the right, you did, along with your FOUR guys. They are feeding you the juice and I am sure someone will come home and quit curling cause they were not treated fairly. The HPP doesn't care about fair. Fair doesn't matter. This is your life.

03-03-15 12:19PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

If the skip and the rest of the team are cool with the lineup changes made by the coaches, who are we to say they are wrong in the middle of the event? It seems to me that we should be spending our energy supporting these guys and gals right now and put aside the anti-HPP vitriol until after worlds.

If the team was against the change and it was made anyway, then pitchfork away but per Ethan that isn't the case.

Good luck Team USA

Jason

03-03-15 12:28PM
Brushing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brushing Find more posts by Brushing Add Brushing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brushing
Harvey Hacksmasher

I hope that the hypocrisy of telling Ethan how to feel while suggesting a coach's role in brainwashing the team isn't lost on anyone.

Good luck to Ethan and team USA.

03-03-15 12:35PM
kdropkin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kdropkin Click here to Send kdropkin a Private Message Find more posts by kdropkin Add kdropkin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kdropkin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thank you Jason, well said! Good luck, USA! Our Junior Women got back on the winning track today. Let's support the guys in their efforts to do the same. And let's celebrate the fact that we have Team-First Players like Ethan leading the way!

03-03-15 12:46PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright

It'd be interesting if they try to do that at Worlds. If USCA tries that, the team could "boycott" and refuse to play. That'd be some drama.

Like...that's never happened with a Derek Brown team.

03-03-15 12:48PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by VAcurler
If the skip and the rest of the team are cool with the lineup changes made by the coaches, who are we to say they are wrong in the middle of the event? It seems to me that we should be spending our energy supporting these guys and gals right now and put aside the anti-HPP vitriol until after worlds.

If the team was against the change and it was made anyway, then pitchfork away but per Ethan that isn't the case.

Good luck Team USA

Jason

It's probably a safe bet that Szemple is not cool with being benched after helping his team get to Worlds.

03-03-15 01:11PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Does team dynamics mean nothing? (I know Earl Morris' answer.) It is inconceivable to me, even as a low level coach and instructor that you can take a team that has played and practiced together all season, and a had honed a strategy that works for them, and then just before Worlds insert a new player on the team, move the skip to third, and dump the 2nd, leaving 3 players out of position. Teamwork is built on trust. That trust is destroyed when these kind of changes are made and it takes a while to re-develop it.

Maybe Ethan did not have the "best" team in the USCA eyes, but he won the right to go represent the USA fair & square. Instead of helping his team do their best, the USCA meddled and quite possibly made it worse on several levels. By rearranging his team the USCA did not help the confidence of any of the players. Think about the message you sent these young men by so obviously showing your lack of confidence in them.

What the USCA HPP program has quite possibly done is to lay groundwork to blame selected athletes for poor performance so they can "justify" future meddling and alienation of what little talent pool is left.

I join the group here on CZ that finds the HPP actions here somewhere between disappointing and disgusting.