Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Hi Tech Curling Brooms Banned for Season

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-19-15 11:38AM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by My three sons

If in the current game shooting skill is 80-90% of the game and sweeping is 10 - 20% then the best players rise to the top. If utilizing these brooms makes shooting 50 - 60% skill and 40 - 50% sweeping, then this radically changes the dynamics of our game.

That's a pretty big "if". Those percentages have already been shifting. For years we've been witness to the huge value of a killer front end. Kevin Martin is a legendary shot maker but I can't tell you how many times I watched Heebs and Kennedy turn misses (a little light, a little tight) into makes. What we're seeing is further evolution of sweeping skill and technique. It's unfortunate that an excellent product has been prejudiced and jeopardized because people haven't taken the time to figure this out.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-19-15 11:51AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by draway8

That's a pretty big "if". Those percentages have already been shifting. For years we've been witness to the huge value of a killer front end. Kevin Martin is a legendary shot maker but I can't tell you how many times I watched Heebs and Kennedy turn misses (a little light, a little tight) into makes. What we're seeing is further evolution of sweeping skill and technique. It's unfortunate that an excellent product has been prejudiced and jeopardized because people haven't taken the time to figure this out.

Well said. Curling needs to take a leaf out Golf's book. There are rules on what kind of equipment can be used in competition, but for the recreational curler - there isn't really any restrictions. Golf like curling needs to keep attracting people to the game. So they've established what equipment can and can't be used on the course. If the HL brooms make it easy for the knee sliders to sweep and stay in the game then so be it.

I am not sure what Curling Canada does? When new products come out on the market, should Curling Canada not take a look? Or are they too busy with other issues?

What is the regulation of the GSOC? Are they just a cowboy outfit that doesn't follow the rules of curling (see substituting for Brad in Truro, the incident between Fleury & Homan in Oshawa). Surely the GSOC saw the impact of the new brooms a bit earlier than this season.

I think some folks fell asleep are the wheel and are grumpy now that they have been woken up.

11-19-15 12:08PM
livem1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for livem1 Click here to Send livem1 a Private Message Find more posts by livem1 Add livem1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
livem1
Harvey Hacksmasher

ok....for anyone that says it was 'fine' for the last 2 years. again, listen to the 10/7 Curling Show podcast. Marc and Ben said there has been animosity building over abrasive/directional fabric for a long time and couldn't get anything done about it.

people saw that EQ+ seems to be 'out' now right?
(i haven't seen it in use in the GSOC since the player agreement anyway)
...i'm guessing that some of the other manuf's may have 'pressed' and/or waterproofed 'non-compliant' fabrics in their lines that will likely be deemed ineligible as well at events.

i get that most people here heard of the BP 'blackhead' fiasco. well, yes, i don't like how that went down either....but, players were complaining with no response. i think it's safe to assume the BH was more abrasive than the IP, yes? let's just say it was 50% more abrasive, for example. you don't think BP could've made one that was 10% more? so, where does it end? THAT is the point. the cca seemed to know people were complaining and turned a relative blind eye (when they could've been proactive in the off-season). this IS a huge mess....no question.

again, this year starts a new cycle for olympic qualifying....there is a lot on the line starting now. it sucks for sure. but, i don't see the option....b/c if they didn't do anything...it wasn't going to be the 'blackhead' vs the 'icepad'...it was going to be smaller escalations between manufacturers and would've gotten to the same place much later.

i don't think there's one person on these boards that doesn't want testing and for it to be figured out. so, why all the bad feelings here and on twitter and the like? i don't want to see rifts within our clubs over equipment. Anyone who bought the hardline package or the EQ+ or whatever has been banned at the elite level now...clearly thought they were gaining an 'advantage' over their last piece of equipment. the 'spirit of curling' says we don't try to gain an unfair advantage. definitely a shame that the cca and the wcf left it to the manufacturers and all of us to figure out what that line is.

Last edited by livem1 on 11-19-15 at 01:13PM

11-19-15 12:29PM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

So exactly which broom heads are banned from the WCT events?

I have seen several posts that say different things from hardline, eq+, GR8, ECT all banned from use. Seen others say that the WCT events dont have any ban in place yet.

Just wanting to know whats what.

11-19-15 12:32PM
shaqdaddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shaqdaddy Click here to Send shaqdaddy a Private Message Find more posts by shaqdaddy Add shaqdaddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

This is simple.

1. Unreasonable mid season actions by WCF, 2.no science based evidence, 3. logic not applied fairly to all manufacturers 4. Extraordinary SELF serving behaviour by BP. Anger here should be directed at WCF/CCA for idiotic bumbling and NOT HL

Resolution has to be more compromising than this joke.

11-19-15 12:48PM
Rock On ft is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock On ft Click here to Send Rock On ft a Private Message Find more posts by Rock On ft Add Rock On ft to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock On ft
Harvey Hacksmasher

So reading all the post and the press releases i still cant figure out with certinty which heads are permitted and which ones are not. If any one knows for sure can they just name brushes or heads( they all have a name of some sort) that are allowed and ones that are not, regardless of who manufacturer is. I am sure the CCA will follow suit soon and it may help the average curler know which head to purchase going forward. Any help would be great.

11-19-15 12:49PM
dixarone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dixarone Click here to Send dixarone a Private Message Find more posts by dixarone Add dixarone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dixarone
Knee-Slider

quote:
...the spirit of curling says we don't try to gain an unfair advantage...

The key word there is "unfair". Up until a few weeks ago, the people using Hardline brooms, or indeed any manufacturers brooms, were only trying to gain a "fair" advantage. Using commercially available products, applying some skill in using them, and playing within what was then the rules of the game.

The rules have suddenly shifted, and it's putting a lot of people in uncomfortable situations. The manufacturers certainly, but the people using the impacted brooms suddenly are left wondering if they've bought a $150 - $200 pig in a poke.

I definitely feel that the further "clarification" by the curling bodies banning plastic inserts (quite specifically) seems to unfairly target Hardline, when it's pretty clear that the effects of all of the top-end brooms are similar when used in a manner that at first glance seems counter-intuitive (one sweeper particularly, but extend it to big-time corner sweeping, etc.). The much more equitable solution, it seems to me, would have been to go back to the "sweep across the entire face of the rock" rule, rather than attempt to sort through which broom faces have "negative" effects.

The negative effects are clearly caused by actions, not *necessarily* the brooms. Do the brooms increase these effects, some more than others...seems that is the case. I don't think that's in dispute any longer. Which ones cross the "line"? Define the line first, then figure that out, then figure out if there are perhaps other aspects of sweeping that need closer inspection as well, and then maybe the line itself would need to be redrawn before going back and redoing some of the processes. For as much as it's brooms that are being talked about here, it's really techniques that are being used (abused?) to get the rocks moving contrary to the accepted physics of the game.

After all that, then I'll be onboard with decisions being made.

11-19-15 12:49PM
livem1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for livem1 Click here to Send livem1 a Private Message Find more posts by livem1 Add livem1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
livem1
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yesterday on twitter...Hardline responded to curler, Mark Kean's comment about taking out the insert and flipping....should be no big deal was the implication. HL said "Basically change the entire broom!"

On the hardline website...it says this about the icePad
"....if you just want a softer feel, no problem! The versatile icePad can be easily transformed into a regular pad. Check out our instructional videos!"
(meaning take out the insert)

So is this 'entire broom' a waste?
Or, is this very light broom with an "icePad head that can be placed on most competitors shafts" 'versatile'?

well....p.s. HL also told Mark "For 2 years you asked us for sponsorship. Now you speak out against it." (when he mentioned they "don't have to get rid of (their) broom"...I didn't get the feeling that he was piling on.)

Last edited by livem1 on 11-19-15 at 01:05PM

11-19-15 01:13PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Will be interesting to see what Curl Canada does. HL says they were asked before HL starting selling and marketing and seemed to feel brooms were ok. Hard now to say not legal. With no executive director whose decision is it? Maybe Peckham will be wishing he retired?

11-19-15 01:51PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Rock On ft
So reading all the post and the press releases i still cant figure out with certinty which heads are permitted and which ones are not. If any one knows for sure can they just name brushes or heads( they all have a name of some sort) that are allowed and ones that are not, regardless of who manufacturer is. I am sure the CCA will follow suit soon and it may help the average curler know which head to purchase going forward. Any help would be great.

Unfortunately Fred, CCA and WCF refuse to name the products and models involved. I suspect it's because they have been advised to do so would put them in a precarious legal situation. But it's poor leadership to not name the brooms and the knee Jerk reaction to unfounded and unproven allegations is worse.

It is refreshing to read the level headed comments here. The vast majority of which are demanding proof before reacting.

By the way, for the person suggesting we go back to corn? 👍 But we never dipped corn in 7up. That would be against the rules.

Besides, Coke worked way better...😆

11-19-15 03:30PM
dnero is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dnero Click here to Send dnero a Private Message Find more posts by dnero Add dnero to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dnero
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by livem1
ok....for anyone that says it was 'fine' for the last 2 years. again, listen to the 10/7 Curling Show podcast. Marc and Ben said there has been animosity building over abrasive/directional fabric for a long time and couldn't get anything done about it.

people saw that EQ+ seems to be 'out' now right?
(i haven't seen it in use in the GSOC since the player agreement anyway)
...i'm guessing that some of the other manuf's may have 'pressed' and/or waterproofed 'non-compliant' fabrics in their lines that will likely be deemed ineligible as well at events.

i get that most people here heard of the BP 'blackhead' fiasco. well, yes, i don't like how that went down either....but, players were complaining with no response. i think it's safe to assume the BH was more abrasive than the IP, yes? let's just say it was 50% more abrasive, for example. you don't think BP could've made one that was 10% more? so, where does it end? THAT is the point. the cca seemed to know people were complaining and turned a relative blind eye (when they could've been proactive in the off-season). this IS a huge mess....no question.

again, this year starts a new cycle for olympic qualifying....there is a lot on the line starting now. it sucks for sure. but, i don't see the option....b/c if they didn't do anything...it wasn't going to be the 'blackhead' vs the 'icepad'...it was going to be smaller escalations between manufacturers and would've gotten to the same place much later.

i don't think there's one person on these boards that doesn't want testing and for it to be figured out. so, why all the bad feelings here and on twitter and the like? i don't want to see rifts within our clubs over equipment. Anyone who bought the hardline package or the EQ+ or whatever has been banned at the elite level now...clearly thought they were gaining an 'advantage' over their last piece of equipment. the 'spirit of curling' says we don't try to gain an unfair advantage. definitely a shame that the cca and the wcf left it to the manufacturers and all of us to figure out what that line is.

Can you define "Advantage"? If you mean that I was looking for an unfair advantage over my opponent, I take exception to that.

There were 3 reasons that I purchased an IcePad

1) They travel along the ice more freely than my old broom (Norway Pad)

2) They are light

3) I could easily clean the pad and wouldn't have to replace a worn out pad for 25 bucks every month. I can get an entire season out of a single cover, instead of paying the equivalent of a brand new broom every couple of months. Can you imagine how much revenue the "big" broom companies would lose If I had to replace my brush head only once per season. Of course, If I am sponsored by one of those big companies, who cares right??

My team are essentially club curlers, who play at a high enough level to have made it into a provincial championship (Manitoba) Some of us also play mixed on the weekends with our wives. (About 70 games per season)

With the unavoidable trickle-down effect from WCF to CCA to the provincial jurisdictions...
What I am starting to see here is that I will have to look at my schedule to see what kind of "equipment" I am allowed to bring to my next game.

THIS is because our lovely governing bodies are worried

MORE about closing barn doors that some Elite(tied to their sponsor) teams are screaming have been left open
and
LESS about questionable sweeping techniques that are being employed (which in my mind is a bigger problem)

I can think of no other sport that has handled this type of situation as poorly.

Lets suppose my team enters the Manitoba Open Bonspiel
Are IcePads going to be allowed??

1) YES?? - Can't do that... Its against the "rules" now
2) NO?? - What about the (coveted) recreational curlers who own these brooms. Who is going to tell them that they can't use their brooms that they spent 150 bucks on?
3)Only until you are playing a game for a berth in provincials??

This is a complete crock. These brooms have been around for 2 seasons and there is an issue now?? Pretty sketchy if you ask me.

If the Howards and others had such a problem with these brooms, why not start complaining 2 years ago.. Or better yet, just switch?? Oh Ya...you cant because you are legally/financially tied to what you use now!!

And please don't tell me these (scorned) Elite teams didn't make the switch because they care about the integrity of the game. Its all financial, because if it wasn't financial, the GSOC/WCT or whatever its called these days would have never been started in the first place.

11-19-15 03:51PM
dnero is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dnero Click here to Send dnero a Private Message Find more posts by dnero Add dnero to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dnero
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

Unfortunately Fred, CCA and WCF refuse to name the products and models involved. I suspect it's because they have been advised to do so would put them in a precarious legal situation. But it's poor leadership to not name the brooms and the knee Jerk reaction to unfounded and unproven allegations is worse.

It is refreshing to read the level headed comments here. The vast majority of which are demanding proof before reacting.

By the way, for the person suggesting we go back to corn? 👍 But we never dipped corn in 7up. That would be against the rules.

Besides, Coke worked way better...😆

Agreed... It is poor leadership to get involved at this point at all. If the GSOC wants to ban certain things, let them. Its not the first time they created their own set of rules anyway.

Instead of over reacting now because they failed to act in the first place, the WCF and lower-level governing bodies should show a level of prudence and set standards and testing criteria so that equipment cannot make it to market and be sold for 2 years before its called illegal after the fact.

I would still like to know what current rules the HardLine brooms are breaking.

11-19-15 04:05PM
livem1
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm not saying anyone is trying to gain an unfair advantage.

What I was saying is that whenever one buys equipment it's almost always because one is trying to upgrade the advantage/performance that they had with the older equip. (def: benefit resulting from some course of action).

But, at some point, the 'advantage' from equipment some company is producing may cross the lines of the accepted standards/rules of the game. And some governing body has to be the steward over this....and figure it out. (everyone agrees this is not an ideal situation for the manufacturers that have invested money into a fabric that is non-compliant for the rest of this season)

You or any other recreational curling can take your Hardline broom and icePad head to any tournament you/they want. Neither Curl Canada nor Manitoba seems to have put any restrictions on fabrics yet. Worst case is no plastic insert and inside-out cover. Well, the WCF didn't specifically write out 'compliance' procedures. But, the USCA did and that is one of the compliance methods...and I'm sure they took that from the WCF.

I guess I'm not understanding....Hardline has a video of how versatile their broom is and says you can take out the insert for a softer 'feel' and nobody is stopping them from making a woven compliant head cover. Besides Hogline and Hardline....There doesn't seem to be another brush company that locked themselves in with only one fabric type.

Last edited by livem1 on 11-19-15 at 04:17PM

11-19-15 04:20PM
livem1
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by dnero

I would still like to know what current rules the HardLine brooms are breaking.

The same one that the EQ+ is apparently breaking

11-19-15 04:22PM
dnero
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
pretty sure no curlers are overpaid. ... i think that $26 mil for 2 years was in baseball - wasnt going to buy a blue jay ticket but that sealed the deal...

doubt that the financial aspect plays any part in certain players wanting a level playing field - Glen has said many times he wants to keep playing because he " loves " the game - based on watching him a lot for 25 years i believe him. -

there are probably 20 teams that are the reason we. get to see free curling a dozen times a year ..

howard , martin, ferbey, stoughton , koe, mcewen, jones, homan, jones, moore, bernard, simmons, howard, menard,gushue and five more .. ( no hurt feeling)

Never said they were over paid. I am saying that they are complaining about a perceived disadvantage because they can't switch...because they are financially obligated to their sponsor.

Don't be naive that they don't care financially. If they don't perform, they don't get sponsored (cash). Of the 20 teams you mention,how many of these "boycottted" the CCA to start the tour.

that was for the love of the game??

11-19-15 04:23PM
dnero
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by livem1

The same one that the EQ+ is apparently breaking

which is???

11-19-15 04:31PM
OrangeKing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OrangeKing Click here to Send OrangeKing a Private Message Find more posts by OrangeKing Add OrangeKing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OrangeKing
Knee-Slider

Are we certain that the EQ+ heads (which are very different from the blackhead) are part of the new moratorium? With the USCA adopting the WCF ruling, this matters to anyone going even to club playdowns - my lead bought a LiteSpeed before the season. I don't want to panic him before we have some official guidance on this, which once again points to the need for the WCF to come up with at least a partial in/out list.

11-19-15 04:39PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

This controversy has been going on for a few weeks now.

I've been hoping to see an actual demonstration of the disastrous effects on the path of a stone using an off-the-shelf sweeping product.

For some reason the hundreds of hours of televised curling coverage from the past two years involving thousands of rocks have failed to produce a single example of such an effect.

I've seen the video made using the clown brush they produce to prove some point or another. I'm not so interested in that.

Why do I want to see video? Because it's 2015. We live in a world where lots of us walk around with a movie studio in our pockets.

Video or it didn't happen.

11-19-15 04:40PM
dixarone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dixarone Click here to Send dixarone a Private Message Find more posts by dixarone Add dixarone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dixarone
Knee-Slider

NYT Article

From the NYT:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/20/s...d=tw-share&_r=2

For those thinking it's not about the money...I would note that this article points out exactly who is sponsored by which company when soliciting opinions for the piece. I would also note that it's information that's been conspicuously missing from almost every Canadian article written on this whole matter...without looking, I wonder if BP or Goldline or any of the other manufacturers buy advertising space on CBC, Sportsnet, TSN, etc.

Hmm.

11-19-15 04:57PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: NYT Article

quote:
Originally posted by dixarone
From the NYT:

For those thinking it's not about the money...I would note that this article points out exactly who is sponsored by which company when soliciting opinions for the piece. I would also note that it's information that's been conspicuously missing from almost every Canadian article written on this whole matter...without looking, I wonder if BP or Goldline or any of the other manufacturers buy advertising space on CBC, Sportsnet, TSN, etc.

Hmm.

Well I saw the GL ad repeatedly during the National...as usual the Canadian media is tiptoeing around the issue. GL is pretty ruthless when it come to protecting their market as is BP.

11-19-15 05:09PM
shaqdaddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shaqdaddy Click here to Send shaqdaddy a Private Message Find more posts by shaqdaddy Add shaqdaddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

You mean the GL shoe ad by spokeswoman Jones? O yea she wears Asham.....oops. Let's see what HL teams say about this witch hunt. No coincidence at all this has been led by BP teams.....right.

11-19-15 05:09PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Re: NYT Article

quote:
Originally posted by dixarone
From the NYT:

Hmm.

Who should be surprised at the lack of objective journalism in Canada? Or the fact that BP is a sponsor of the CCA and WCF?

The associations don't want to lose their gravy train so they'll stay tight lipped and our so-called curling media is to busy being buddy buddy with curlers and associations. These guys get tons of freebies so don't expect any real, hard questions about real issues. No one, for example, has raised any questions about the huge money almost every host of an arena slam has lost. So who would write an article that calls them to account for Broomgate?

In a small way this reminds me of the FIFA/Adidas corruption where a manufacturer had control over major decisions in soccer by bribing officials like FIFA President Sepp Blatter. But don't take my word, read some of the excellent books on the subject. See if some of that history doesn't smell a little familiar.

Now that's the kind of journalism curling could use.

11-19-15 06:00PM
bcpatrick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bcpatrick Click here to Send bcpatrick a Private Message Visit bcpatrick's homepage! Find more posts by bcpatrick Add bcpatrick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bcpatrick
Harvey Hacksmasher

Well, since it seemingly impossible to determine exactly which equipment is banned, and we can't get that precise guidance from any of the governing bodies, I think we should just extend the moratorium to sweeping in general. Just imagine the joy of playing lead with no sweeping responsibilities.

I guess it's pretty much a given that the HL is now illegal, but where does it say (aside from this forum) that the EQ+ is banned? Does it also have the plastic insert?

I know curlers who don't want to buy new brush pads every month, so they re-cover their own - I guess I have to also check them at the door and not allow their brooms?

11-19-15 06:13PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Amen, Dynomite. I also have a sneaking suspicion that while we've been told 2 "good sweepers" can bring a rock "10+" feet farther I now doubt that since I've never seen a published scientific study proving that much less a single published study on the actual "damage" or "mar" to ice of any corn, hair or pad broom. Wouldn't it be a hoot if corner sweeping did the most to affect stone trajectory rather than the broom type and if corn brooms damage the ice more than any sealed or directional fabric, or insert!

I fondly recall the "word" we got from the unpublished Canadian "Own the Podium" studies that sweeping didn't melt ice but just warmed it after decades of our telling all and sundry that effective sweeping melts the ice. I bought one of the new foil insert brooms after the Vancouver Olympics thanks to other "Own" discoveries. I will buy a Hardline broom even if it is forever illegal just to support a company trying to push new technolgy.

But, this corner and snowplow sweeping has to stop or yes, we kill off 4-person teams at world level. That would not be good for the clubs or the sport.

quote:
Originally posted by Dynomite2910

Sorry to disagree My three sons but this has smelled like a witch hunt all along...

I still think we are going see Hardline take WCF and CCA to court for damages which is only going to hurt our game even more. There is not enough money in our sport for them to be wasting it on lawyers.

I also think from what I have seen that the real problem is this new one man one side brushing technique that is the real issue and no one is talking about addressing that properly. Gushue was making rocks move on Sunday with a hairbroom in play.

Last edited by Alice on 11-19-15 at 06:34PM

11-19-15 09:00PM
aluchko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aluchko Click here to Send aluchko a Private Message Find more posts by aluchko Add aluchko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aluchko
Harvey Hacksmasher

First I'm very dubious that any of the BP+ or GL teams are actually trying to be misleading about something, and I think the whole "invert the fabric" trend is proof of that.

The fact is I'm not convinced that elite curlers have the ability to tell if the HL are significantly better. If they did have that ability then within a year of them being on the market they would have bought one to try it out, realized they could drag a rock 50% further, straighter, or whatever they think the effect is, and acted accordingly.

Similarly before proposing the first "flip the fabric" solution one of them would have tried it out and realized it didn't really make a difference (or maybe it does, they don't seem sure).

To me this looks entirely like a bunch of young teams getting HL brooms and having big breakthroughs around the same time. People look at the new teams and think "I didn't expect them to be that good", they look at the brooms and think "those brooms are really different" and they start assuming the brooms are the cause.

Now they could be right. These are highly skilled players and they may be able to legitimately notice things about the brooms that others can't, the HL brooms are unfairly effective, the HL teams dominance is due to the brooms, and the tech needs to go back to some pre-HL state. But they're a long way from proving that.

There's tons of people who have all sorts of unsubstantiated beliefs, homeopathy, gambler's fallacy, heck there's a widespread belief in South Korea that fans kill people. I have no doubt that a bunch of elite curlers could convince each other that a certain broom is far more effective than it actually is. I've yet to see a single piece of actual evidence that HLs are any more effective than other brooms.

I'm really disappointed in the WCF, ever since BP+ ambushed a WCT event with frankenbrooms there's been confusion everywhere and they had an opportunity to provide some leadership by doing some proper tests. Instead they just seem to be listening to the group of elite curlers who have most convinced themselves that there's a problem.

I wouldn't be shocked if these rules about waterproofing and inserts change again. They don't present any evidence, they just seem to be centreing on the latest theories for why the elite HL teams are doing better than people expect.