Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > World Men's Curling Chmpshp 2016

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-03-16 10:51PM
felfie13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for felfie13 Click here to Send felfie13 a Private Message Find more posts by felfie13 Add felfie13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
felfie13
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Whats the story with the Russians going home???

Apparently, according to some quotes from the coach, Stukalsky's team performance wasn't good enough lately, so they decided to send their 2nd national team.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-04-16 02:24AM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

....snipped portion from original post:

i am not happy at all for koe. he got off a number of times in the semi against northern ontario. they were out curled in that match but brad jacobs let them off the hook multiple times when he had opportunities for 2. not only that but to win in the way they did..off a measure of a biter was just really lucky. Im not a fan of that team in general anyway. they seem like good guys off the ice but the way that kennedy and hebert in particular act on the ice just disgusts me. the way hebert pouts every time things arent going well . you will see him literally launch rocks out of the house when an end doesnt go his way. will not be cheering for them this year and nor will i ever.

..well said, could not agree more.

..they were practically giddy today when talking about the opposition's brooms being worn down with play yet to come.

..i haven't seen Brewster in action, happy to see him back, and will definitely be cheering for Scotland to take down Team Obnoxious.

04-04-16 08:00AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Shooting skills aren't as important as brush management. It's all about knowing when to use the fresh brushes to curve rocks into impossible positions. It's also crucial to not use up your sharp brushes before your opponents.
Curling has become a very different game. It's a shame.

yeah, i am not a fan of this new brushing development in any way. it used to be that you had to actually throw a rock well to make a shot. now even if you dont some brushing can correct that throw for you and make the shot or at least get it a lot closer than it should be. thats not a development that i think is a good thing, it takes skill out of the equation.

curling isnt headed in a direction im to happy about following in a number of ways to be honest

04-04-16 08:02AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Scotland is questionable. In past years, their curling federation put together a team to go to worlds.

no but scotland does send their national team. whoever wins does usually go

as far as not sending the national championship winner i dont believe russia does either

04-04-16 08:45AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

they will have to change percentage from the thrower to the sweepers, not the percentages mean a thing. You could be 95%,miss the wrong shot and loose the game. So know who cares if you got 95%.

Careful, I am bitchy today!

04-04-16 08:48AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I will NEVER understand countries that don't send their champion.

And why bother to run a national championship then? Save the $$ and just send who you want.

Shuster had that game yesterday but choked and handed Koe yet another lucky win.

04-04-16 08:54AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

And why bother to run a national championship then? Save the $$ and just send who you want.

Shuster had that game yesterday but choked and handed Koe yet another lucky win.

Not a lucky win, a win is a win. Shuster had his shot to win, missed and Koe won, that is how it works. The last half of the game Canada had it together. Sure you can say it was handed to Koe, but it wasn't. Koe made a good shot, Shuster had a shot to win and missed - Koe wins.

04-04-16 09:56AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

another blankfest going on between canada and scotland. they have blanked 3 end already, im betting koe will try and blank 9. that would be 50% of the game blanked. thats just stupid.

04-04-16 09:57AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Nobody is accusing Koe of slow play today. Of course when you're playing Scotland that tends to be what happens

04-04-16 10:12AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
another blankfest going on between canada and scotland. they have blanked 3 end already, im betting koe will try and blank 9. that would be 50% of the game blanked. thats just stupid.

Why is it stupid? Stupid for the fans? Stupid for team? The rules allow it.

04-04-16 10:45AM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Let them blank as long as they want....lots of great shots in between for the blanks....as long as Canada wins, and they do. Nice close game with good percentages for both teams.

04-04-16 11:00AM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:

It always takes 2 to tangle and with Canada having hammer there is no urgency to mix it up. Scotland has for decades played an open style of gane plan.

Very well played game and the result in 9 is exactly why Brewster was hesitant to get aggressive.

04-04-16 11:17AM
Par89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par89 Find more posts by Par89 Add Par89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par89
Swing Artist

Could have had a nap during 9th end.

04-04-16 11:30AM
chinabar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chinabar Find more posts by chinabar Add chinabar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chinabar
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think Canada creates the greatest depth in curling talent in the world when it comes to the finesse and touch game. I also believe they are the greatest hypocrites, being the first and loudest complainers in the media about ice conditions after purposely deep tilling the sheet to joy stick rocks. Canadian elite curlers are only going to bring the less talented teams up and themselves down by trashing the ice, and isn't scratching ice illegal in the first place?

Last edited by chinabar on 04-04-16 at 01:27PM

04-04-16 02:10PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

This is what continues to be lost in the sending the national champion to worlds thing. Regardless of what comes next, it should be an honor to win the National Championship in anything that you do. Many non-curling sporting events don't have a next step, they just end at their nationals. If you cant be happy just winning nationals, then don't enter nationals at all.

04-04-16 02:33PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

TSN

Didn't Cheryl or Cathy make the trip?

04-04-16 02:36PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

They're predicting lots of rain in Switzerland-has anybody told Vic or Russ what it's like in Toronto?

04-04-16 02:55PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by wsj28

USA
Germany
Norway
Sweden

Any others?

The Swiss also do not send their National Champ to worlds if they don't have enough points (no exception like in the US) and I think that they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.

04-04-16 03:42PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Rumour has it that the Japanese women's team was seen in the departure lounge at Narita International Airport...

04-04-16 03:53PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

If I recall correctly, the US revamped their system a bit this year to put more emphasis on finish at Nationals. Even with Shuster's great season (by US standards...spare me the snippy comparisons, please) they still had to hit the podium to go. It's not like they were anointed in August or something, they earned their berths via the system that ALL the teams were under.

Look, I agree with the sentiment that the national champ should rep their country, no doubt about it. That being said, it isn't always practical when your country lacks serious depth. Even if the "worst" team wins the Scotties or Brier, chances are they'll finish middle of the pack at worst. It's not the same in the US...or Norway, or Sweden for that matter. There are Olympic Qualification points on the line, and frankly the US is under enough scrutiny by the USOC as it is without putting themselves in an even worse position. Miss 2018, so long funding.

It's all a mental exercise anyway. Shuster could win out or lose every remaining game. Koe could too. Who knows? Clark might have brought home gold or they might have gone 0-11. It is all pure speculation. The fact of the matter is that the US sent their consistently best team to Basel...the team who (as I said) earned their berth.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

04-04-16 03:59PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Why is it stupid? Stupid for the fans? Stupid for team? The rules allow it.

stupid was the wrong word to use. annoying instead

04-04-16 04:04PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

seeing switzerland so far i might have to re-think my prediction of having them make final 4. they just dont look that good, definitely not like a team able to make it to the playoffs. 3 losses already with canada, norway and the united states to come. as it is now i cant see them doing any better than 1-2 against them and 0-3 wouldnt surprise me. aside from the 1 euro michel has really not impressed. with this line up now i think the middle 2 players are the problem. the pfister brothers arent strong enough, i dont think to help sven stand up to the top teams

04-04-16 04:05PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Tap Back

It always takes 2 to tangle and with Canada having hammer there is no urgency to mix it up. Scotland has for decades played an open style of gane plan.

Very well played game and the result in 9 is exactly why Brewster was hesitant to get aggressive.

thats true. its just frustrating to watch..for me.i dont enjoy seeing games where end, after end is blanked. and i know im not the only one

04-04-16 04:05PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D
If I recall correctly, the US revamped their system a bit this year to put more emphasis on finish at Nationals.

Not directly (it's been "Highest OOM after nationals that made the podium" for the last couple of years)...but because of the way Shuster...well...bullied...things last year, a lot more US teams, even those without funding, hit more ranked events, so the Strength of Field multipler for Nationals was a lot higher organically.

Counterbalancing that, however, was the fact that Shuster had basically lapped the field during November-January, so Nationals was something of a non-event. Unless he missed the podium altogether (and that wasnt' gonna happen), he was in.

04-04-16 04:21PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I know that TSN has commitments to European soccer (go Barcelona!) and the Masters, but what's the deal with tomorrow's game against Germany (starting at 3:00 AM)? Will it be on the net or should I just leave the alarm clock "as is" and assume the best?

Same for Korea on Wednesday...ironically they are showing the Norwegian game at 3:00 AM on Thursday.

I know that some folks will think that this is just a Canadian trying to be a big-shot, but when the Worlds are held in Europe, is it really a wise idea to have Canada play in the morning draw?

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 04-04-16 at 04:28PM