Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 10 of 21 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-03-13 09:16PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Could be worse than losing your spot to a jr- a one way ticket to Siberia.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-03-13 09:53PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Was anyone else pissed off today with both of the games getting shifted to TSN2 just so they could air that stupid trade center thing where a bunch of so called experts got to sit and run their mouths for hours at a time?

Yes

04-03-13 10:03PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Was anyone else pissed off today with both of the games getting shifted to TSN2 just so they could air that stupid trade center thing where a bunch of so called experts got to sit and run their mouths for hours at a time?

Nope, I watched both games in HD. Awesome. And, I live in the elite part of Canada.

04-03-13 10:15PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:

Yes, so annoyed!! At least they could have either streamed it on their site (live) or allowed us to watch on the world curling youtube channel. When I tried it, I was told my area was blocked from viewing. And yes I know I could use a proxy server but if they want to make it that difficult for me to watch, I just won't watch. Or they could have made TSN2 free for the event.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.212.233.174

04-04-13 03:26AM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: US team

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I think it's hilarious now to look back a couple pages. Oh yeah all these other teams suck. No one can touch Canada.

Yet, Japan and the Czechs, probably in the bottom half in this field beat the Canadian champs. I'm gonna go ahead and say every team here is top 100 in the world and probably six non-Canadian teams here are top 20.

Let's give these teams a little respect. Canada is great and still has a great chance to win the event, but the other teams can compete with them.

Have you ever heard of the concept of sample size?

When I say that a team is much worse than Canada it doesn't mean that the team could never beat the Canadian team.

Let's take Japan as an example.

Could they beat Canada in a one shot game? Of course.
Could they beat Canada in a one end game? Of course.
Could they beat Canada in a ten end game? Obviously yes.

Could they beat Canada in a best of 3? Maybe.
Could they beat Canada in a best of 7? Very unlikely.
Could they beat Canada over 100 games? I'd bet my life on Canada and I would always win.

So to say that a team can't be outside of the top 100 or even 300 in the world because they won a single game against Canada makes no sense.

I'm quite sure there are 100 teams in Canada that could beat the Jacobs team in a single 8 or 10 end game, but would have virtually no chance of beating them at a Brier if they were both to qualify.

In the two games that the Canadians lost they were slightly off and the skip in both cases played at the 99th percentile of his abilities. Sometimes stuff just happens. The worst NHL team over 80 games will probably beat the best team 20-30% of the time when they play each other.

04-04-13 03:26AM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: US team

Sorry, posted twice so i edited one.

Last edited by GregJP on 04-04-13 at 03:30AM

04-04-13 04:42AM
Unregistered

Lol. Curlingzone world. Fact - playing at this level is never easy. These teams despite popular belief are not easy to beat. Yes, Stoughton, Martin, Howard are amazing, they acomplised things that most won't. Take this to heart...we are giving everything we have...I hope it's enough! We apparently suck in the morning lol. Bare with us, cause we will be dying to win this event. 7-2 still in the hunt!! FRY.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.91.107.213

04-04-13 04:56AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: Re: US team

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP

Have you ever heard of the concept of sample size?

When I say that a team is much worse than Canada it doesn't mean that the team could never beat the Canadian team.

Let's take Japan as an example.

Could they beat Canada in a one shot game? Of course.
Could they beat Canada in a one end game? Of course.
Could they beat Canada in a ten end game? Obviously yes.

Could they beat Canada in a best of 3? Maybe.
Could they beat Canada in a best of 7? Very unlikely.
Could they beat Canada over 100 games? I'd bet my life on Canada and I would always win.

So to say that a team can't be outside of the top 100 or even 300 in the world because they won a single game against Canada makes no sense.

I'm quite sure there are 100 teams in Canada that could beat the Jacobs team in a single 8 or 10 end game, but would have virtually no chance of beating them at a Brier if they were both to qualify.

In the two games that the Canadians lost they were slightly off and the skip in both cases played at the 99th percentile of his abilities. Sometimes stuff just happens. The worst NHL team over 80 games will probably beat the best team 20-30% of the time when they play each other.

You don't have to explain sample size to me. I make this argument all the time when people say whichever team that wins the Brier is the best in Canada. Not necessarily. It's one event, albeit a pretty big event. To my mind, that does not diminish the accomplishment of winning a Brier.

Certainly, I believe Canada is better than Japan, but when two of the bottom teams in this field can beat Canada, to me that says that all of these teams are pretty competitive with them. To your point, I don't share your opinion that 100 teams in Canada can beat Jacobs in a single game (unless the ice is terrible), so it makes perfect sense to say they can't be outside of the top 100.

What I object to is the basic disrespect for these teams. I think it is being proven that they are better than you were giving them credit for.

04-04-13 05:02AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Lol. Curlingzone world. Fact - playing at this level is never easy. These teams despite popular belief are not easy to beat. Yes, Stoughton, Martin, Howard are amazing, they acomplised things that most won't. Take this to heart...we are giving everything we have...I hope it's enough! We apparently suck in the morning lol. Bare with us, cause we will be dying to win this event. 7-2 still in the hunt!! FRY.

Best of luck the rest of the way. It's obvious you guys are giving it your all. At least you guys are done with those morning games.

04-04-13 07:07AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

But Ryan don't you know the armchair curlers of CZ know best best of luck...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

04-04-13 10:14AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

Canada 13 Suisse 0.

No, not curling, women's hockey.

Personally, I'd rather see Canada lose (once in a while) to a couple of also-rans than sit through an embarrassment like that. But 6,277 people in Ottawa did, which seems to be about ten times the number of people watching the curling in Victoria.

04-04-13 10:22AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

thanks for the update on woman's hockey....

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad
Canada 13 Suisse 0.

Personally, I'd rather see Canada lose (once in a while) to a couple of also-rans than sit through an embarrassment like that. But 6,277 people in Ottawa did, which seems to be about ten times the number of people watching the curling in Victoria.

ARE YOU SUGGESTING THE ATTENDANCE AT THIS YEAR'S MEN'S WORLDS IS EMBARRASSINGLY low to Canadian standards? Pity only in Canada you say?

04-04-13 11:05AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad
Canada 13 Suisse 0.

Curling is a dieing sport..and I am not sure what can be done to save it

when you cant even get decent numbers in canada and you have lower ratings then the pathetic joke that is womens hockey than you know your in trouble.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.163.53.10

04-04-13 11:08AM
Unregistered

Open field

Still very much to play for for every team today. It might seem like Canada v.s Scotland is a lock for the 1 v.s 2 game however if Canada loses to Denmark this afternoon and Denmark wins out then Canada, assuming Scotland wins its last 2 games would finish having to play in the 3 v.s 4 game.

This worlds is actually very reminiscent of the 2007 worlds. A generally average level of play and a ton of teams still alive at the end. Question is will any of those teams pull what Andy kapp and germany did?

04-04-13 11:18AM
Unregistered

Olympic qualification

so if the worlds ended today olympic qualification would stand like this:

Canada - 28
scotland -24
norway - 17
sweden - 16
denmark - 16
china - 15
switzerland/United states -9

So as it stands right now Switzerland and the US are tied for that last direct spot. However I think that because Switzerland defeated the US in the round robin they would get the spot into socchi..someone correct me if im wrong please

04-04-13 11:26AM
Shawzy

quote:

when you cant even get decent numbers in canada and you have lower ratings then the pathetic joke that is womens hockey than you know your in trouble.

In my opinion, if curling is to survive as a mainstream sport (I'm not saying that it is completely mainstream as is though), then it has to find a way to become more internet-friendly.

If you look at trends in the television industry, it is that more people are watching their television, sports or otherwise, via the internet. Businesses like Netflix, Hulu, and others are already taking advantage of this by setting up systems whereby people can get high-quality content at minimal price. Sports hasn't quite made it that far yet (probably due to the sheer importance of the live experience), but you can still find live streams for almost any game in any conceivable sport. If someone is broadcasting it, there's probably a stream.

Curling is light-years behind in this regard. I tried to watch the Sweden vs Scotland game last night and couldn't find a single stream (let alone one that had high-quality video). TSN was doing very well in my opinion when it was streaming curling games from the STOH and the Brier (not this year's though).

The reason why I think this is important is because it keeps the audience engaged in the sport. It's hard to keep a sport in the public eye, let alone grow it, if the fans don't have a way to keep in touch with what's going on when they can't physically be at the arena where the games are being played. This is even more important when we insist on shuffling our major tournaments around the country and across the world.

If we look at the times when the game seems to get an additional boost, it always seems to fall just after the Olympics. Aside from the additional exposure that is granted by simply using the word "Olympic," the main factor is that curling is on TV in an accessible format.

Anyway, that's my two cents, and it might be totally and completely influenced by my lack of cable television to watch even one of the Brier or Worlds games at my home (have caught many of them at the rink or in bars).

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 129.100.254.158

04-04-13 11:33AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Re: Open field

quote:
Still very much to play for for every team today. It might seem like Canada v.s Scotland is a lock for the 1 v.s 2 game however if Canada loses to Denmark this afternoon and Denmark wins out then Canada, assuming Scotland wins its last 2 games would finish having to play in the 3 v.s 4 game.

It's also very plausible that Canada will have the chance to eliminate Sweden by beating them tonight.

04-04-13 11:36AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Open field

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

It's also very plausible that Canada will have the chance to eliminate Sweden by beating them tonight.

That is true but that doesnt change the fact that literally everything is still up for grabs. I think that makes things really intersting and it makes me happy because its really got my interest in the event back.

This may be my favorite worlds since 2007

Sweden is lucky to even be alive anyway. By their own admission they should have been 0-2 after the first 2 games against Finland and Russia. Sweden may be 5-4 but they could..and maybe should be 3-6.

04-04-13 11:41AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Shawzy

In my opinion, if curling is to survive as a mainstream sport (I'm not saying that it is completely mainstream as is though), then it has to find a way to become more internet-friendly.

If you look at trends in the television industry, it is that more people are watching their television, sports or otherwise, via the internet. Businesses like Netflix, Hulu, and others are already taking advantage of this by setting up systems whereby people can get high-quality content at minimal price. Sports hasn't quite made it that far yet (probably due to the sheer importance of the live experience), but you can still find live streams for almost any game in any conceivable sport. If someone is broadcasting it, there's probably a stream.

Curling is light-years behind in this regard. I tried to watch the Sweden vs Scotland game last night and couldn't find a single stream (let alone one that had high-quality video). TSN was doing very well in my opinion when it was streaming curling games from the STOH and the Brier (not this year's though).

The reason why I think this is important is because it keeps the audience engaged in the sport. It's hard to keep a sport in the public eye, let alone grow it, if the fans don't have a way to keep in touch with what's going on when they can't physically be at the arena where the games are being played. This is even more important when we insist on shuffling our major tournaments around the country and across the world.

If we look at the times when the game seems to get an additional boost, it always seems to fall just after the Olympics. Aside from the additional exposure that is granted by simply using the word "Olympic," the main factor is that curling is on TV in an accessible format.

Anyway, that's my two cents, and it might be totally and completely influenced by my lack of cable television to watch even one of the Brier or Worlds games at my home (have caught many of them at the rink or in bars).

I think whats also hurting curling right now is that there arent a ton of curling personalities or superstars anymore. The biggest names in the game are all leaving the game and the teams that are replacing them might be as good skill wise but from a personality stand point and even a game stand point they arent as interesting to watch.

04-04-13 11:46AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Re: Olympic qualification

quote:
so if the worlds ended today olympic qualification would stand like this:

Canada - 28
scotland -24
norway - 17
sweden - 16
denmark - 16
china - 15
switzerland/United states -9

So as it stands right now Switzerland and the US are tied for that last direct spot. However I think that because Switzerland defeated the US in the round robin they would get the spot into socchi..someone correct me if im wrong please

Yes, Switzerland would get ranked ahead of US in the RR and get the extra point needed to tie. Then the Olympic tie is broken by who did better this year at Worlds, again Switzerland gets that tiebreaker.

The US needs to win the last two and get some help. Two losses by Denmark or a loss by Switzerland.

JH
USA!!

04-04-13 11:59AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

I hate it when unregistered pions blog something without...

quote:

knowing the words is "spelled dying' and I don't completely agree with you on this "assumption' as long as "there are granite rocks with handles on them" they'll be curling ..

04-04-13 12:12PM
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

WHO HAS THE EASIEST FINISH?, SCOTLAND OR CANADA?

I reckon it doesn't really matter I like to think Jacobs rink has a slight advantage ONLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO PLAY THE FINNS, and finish with Sweden...while Scotland has to play those Chinese and I think Japan... either way you have to keep pace with other....they'll be looking over their shoulder you bet?

04-04-13 12:15PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: WHO HAS THE EASIEST FINISH?, SCOTLAND OR CANADA?

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
I reckon it doesn't really matter I like to think Jacobs rink has a slight advantage ONLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO PLAY THE FINNS, and finish with Sweden...while Scotland has to play those Chinese and I think Japan... either way you have to keep pace with other....they'll be looking over their shoulder you bet?

Canada easily has the toughest finish with Denmark (who have a chance to finish in the 1 v.s 2 game) and sweden (fightling like hell to stay alive) .

04-04-13 12:31PM
Unregistered

Thanks Beermaker.

for the link to YouTube's live coverage in Victoria. I am beginning to love it more than TSN. No commercials & video of what is going on in the entire arena.

This is "Fan"tastic.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.209.61.22

04-04-13 12:32PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Time for another "LEGENDARY" list of the most compelling character in curling (OK, I'll defer to listing them for the last 20 years or so)

1. Kevin Martin - love him or hate it, he's possibly the most compelling curling character of all-time. Combining amazing precise talent and daring shot-making with some of the most interesting and disturbing mutterances known to man. K-Mart ranks #1.

2. Sandra Schmirler - the attractive and winning lassie from Sask'n; she was a compelling item during her great years on the ice, now a legendary name in death.

3. Colleen Jones - most curling fans disliked Coco, her style of game was defensive and pedantic but her on-ice image is unforgettable despite the in-game drawbacks.

4. Ferbey/Nedohin - they ruled the roost for a few years and Nedohin's precise shot-making made everyone stand up and take notice.

5. Kerry Burtnyk - the Bald Bomber, the youngest skip to win a Brier (1981) plus some other great on-ice moments. DOesn't measure up to Jeff SToughton for Manitoba titles, Briers or World titles but a compelling force on and off the ice.

6. Elisabet Gustafson - beauty and grace, she ruled womens curling for what seemed an eternity.

7. Eddy the Wrench Werenich - body shape plays into this a bit, but The Wrench could make a ton of shots, also sniped with the best of them. Too bad the on-ice microphone didn't make an appearance til Fast Edward was done.

8. Jennifer Jones - not often you see a beautiful, well-educated woman curl with the intensity, ferocity and skill like JJ did. Also introduced us to some of her personality side-bars like Cathy O, Jill Officer, Dawn Serious, now bringing in Kaitlyn Lawes, who herself will be a most compelling curling personality.

9. The Howards - intense competitors, great as a brother act, as effective on the Brier and WOrld circuit as on cash circuit. However, my main memory of the Howards was when Russ imported onto Young Goo's team and ended up with Olympic gold medals.

10. Rick Folk - the great man of the prairies. A winner, a great competitor who delivered great games to fans everywhere and on TV.

11. Alan Hackner - the original iceman. Lots of Brier experiences, couple of pratfalls, too. Brought on Mick Jagger as his third. They will always be The ROLLING STONES to me.

12. Vic Peters - nobody was hungrier for a Brier than Sir Victor, and he finally made it.

13. Schopp/Wagner - and one of them is still going, albeit with not much talent anymore.

14. Brad Gushue - THE GOO has been one of the great warlords of trading curlers left and right. But he's been a great participant at Brier thru his NFLD auto-berth.

15. Connie Laliberte - perhaps the most boring skip with a dull personality yet some of her best matches were ELECTRIC. Too bad the wheels fell off Connie shortly after the FGZ arrived.

Hon. mentions - Koe (all three), Cathy King, Shannon Kleibrink, Jeanna Schraeder, Hec Gervais, Bob Pickering, Garnet Campbell, Ron Northcott, Don Duguid, Rod Hunter, JIm Pettapiece, Bryan Wood, Orest Meleschuk.

what about andy kapp, peja lindholm and pal trulsen?..even ralph stockli