Japan (EE)
Denmark 10  Final
Spain (8)
Estonia Final
Italy (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2012 World Women's Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 27 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-30-12 03:32AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

2012 World Women's Curling Championship

The 2012 World Women's Curling Championship takes place in Lethbridge, March 17-25.

Here are the teams that have qualified:

Canada
Sweden
United States
Scotland
Russia
Denmark
Germany
Italy
Switzerland
Czech Republic
China
South Korea

There will be no defending champion team as Margaretha Sigfridsson has been selected to represent Sweden (as per Peja Lindholm's twitter account).

Any news on qualifying teams from Germany or Switzerland? When do they run their national championship or selection process?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-30-12 08:04AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i'll say again i dont think the selection of a team is a good idea, i think its a step backwards actually and only going to kill interest in the sport. I dont even get the point of having a national championship if it might not get you anything

however it does appear peja is going with the winner of the national championship this time and margaretha did win so i have to conhradulate them

got to suck though for hasselborg that he won the nationals and still doesnt have a hope in hell of going to worlds

i kind of wonder what this means for anette and her team..i wonder if they will remain next season

Last edited by misty1 on 01-30-12 at 08:06AM

01-30-12 08:09AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

to answer your question about playdowns for those other countres(which is the right way to determine a representative at worlds) the swiss have played their first round of 3 games.

currently mirjam ott, michele jaggi and manuela siegrist sit in the top 3 positions.

the german, danish and scottish playdowns havent begun yet but i believe they both start sometime soon

01-30-12 09:13AM
China Supporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for China Supporter Click here to Send China Supporter a Private Message Find more posts by China Supporter Add China Supporter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
China Supporter
Drawmaster

The Flowers are back...

Before the Continential Cup, China hosted the 12th National Winter Games in Jilin, China with the curling events in Changchung.

The Chief Icemaker from the Brockville Curling Club was brought over to the Motherland to provide the ice for the Team and Mixed Doubles Event.

Surprisingly, Bingyu's alternate players gave her Harbin team a good scare in the round robin and in the gold medal matchup. They ultimately won the gold and the spot to represent the Motherland in Lethbridge.

The question now is will they continue with Yue as Vice or revert back to Sun in that position. At the Kaurizawa tourney Sun was Vice and Yue was back to her "natural" position with Liu Jinli back to cheerleading/5th duties. The Chinese Curling Association has ruled Liu Yin, out of this curling season.

I am curious to see if Yu Xinna gets to be the 5th player again like in the 2011 WWCCs as she was the skip of the losing team at the 2012 National Games to Bingyu and in the 2011 playdowns where Bingyu had to steal to earn her spot to represent China.

01-30-12 09:22AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

Thanks China Supporter, I'm counting on you to keep us updated with the final lineup for the Golden Flowers at this year's worlds

01-30-12 09:22AM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

hard call

The thing is about Yue is that she is so good and so used to playing second. Havent seen Sun play yet but seems like she's the choice for third.

Sounds good for Xinna to be brought in as alternate but what happens to Jinli after all these years of warming the bench.

Dunno.. does the Deciding group actually ask Betty who seems to fit with her better?

01-30-12 09:28AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

Re: hard call

quote:
Originally posted by UpYerKilt
.. does the Deciding group actually ask Betty who seems to fit with her better?

They are Communists.

01-30-12 11:21AM
China Supporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for China Supporter Click here to Send China Supporter a Private Message Find more posts by China Supporter Add China Supporter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
China Supporter
Drawmaster

Re: hard call

quote:
Dunno.. does the Deciding group actually ask Betty who seems to fit with her better?

IMO, Sun should be Vice... She has had back end expereince with shot making through her Mixed Doubles play and at the Winter Universaide.

Yue, Zhou and Bingyu have been piegon holed into their positions and don't seem able to adjust to playing a different spot.

Many curling fans back home feel Zhou Yan only remains at lead as she is best suited to Bingyu's style of play. Maybe it's a friendship from training together...

Bingyu's Jr. Team when she played at the JR WWCCs consisted of her, Yue at Vice, Sun at 2nd & Yu... Liu Yin and Zhou were over-agers ineligible to play.

01-30-12 11:23AM
China Supporter
Drawmaster

Re: Re: hard call

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan

They are Communists.

True, but they (Chinese Curling Association) have given the team some flexibility... More so than the Mens Team. They were not present at the 2012 Continential Cup which really surprised me.

01-30-12 01:36PM
kyoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyoh Click here to Send kyoh a Private Message Find more posts by kyoh Add kyoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyoh
Hitting Paint

http://resultat.curling.ch/Archiv/2...frauen-a/TD.HTM

I think these are the Swiss championships? It seems to be broken up into separate weekends. Not entirely sure though, since I don't know how their playdowns work. It's all I could find on the site as well.

01-30-12 01:38PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by kyoh
http://resultat.curling.ch/Archiv/2...frauen-a/TD.HTM

I think these are the Swiss championships? It seems to be broken up into separate weekends. Not entirely sure though, since I don't know how their playdowns work. It's all I could find on the site as well.

the suisse do indeed divide their championships up into seperate weekends.

01-30-12 04:29PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Re: Re: hard call

quote:
Originally posted by China Supporter

IMO, Sun should be Vice... She has had back end expereince with shot making through her Mixed Doubles play and at the Winter Universaide.

Well, she lacks experience at the big stage (mixed doubles, well, you know ...), but I like at at third. If she is going to be thrown in for the 2014 Olympics, she needs to play under pressure. Nothing better than a World Championship in Canada ...

quote:

Yue, Zhou and Bingyu have been piegon holed into their positions and don't seem able to adjust to playing a different spot.

Well, Wang skipped from 3rd for a season and that went quite well. Yue is just born to play 2nd I fear, she is too "frantic" to (vice-)skip and she struggles to recover from poor shots.

quote:

Many curling fans back home feel Zhou Yan only remains at lead as she is best suited to Bingyu's style of play. Maybe it's a friendship from training together...

That, and she is a f***ing great lead. She is the most consistent on draws, she ticks as good as anyone and she is the one who gets the speed right. Without her rock solid draws, China would never have reached the World finals in 2008 and 2009.

Oh, and she is usually the one to keep up the spirit when things go wrong.

However, without a top third and vice-skip, I don't think China will do a lot in Lethbridge.

Well, Prytz really collapsed in the European final, despite her long yet not actually intense experience on the international stage. She played great in the RR though and she was okay as third with Stina Viktorsson. Maybe closer to Ott and Stoeckli characterwise, lets see.

Russia showed a nice fight on home turf at the Europeans, but they are Russia, they are reliably inconsistent (and I'm really eager to know who will skip which matches ...). I really wish them all the best, maybe even a playoff spot!

If Muirhead joined the field, that would be awesome. And she'd really have a shot on the final, I think, among the Eurasian teams, they have the strongest back-end and they already had some lessons on the really big stage.

Switzerland, well, they are the strongest country in the World, after Canada and Scotland of course, but they hadn't have a "killer" team in a while. The Sigrist team really rocked the last years, I'd like to see them against some international adults on a "real" event. But I wouldn't expect them to win anything but experience ...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 95.91.52.242

01-30-12 04:42PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i know alot of people would argue that scotland is the 2nd best country in curling after canada but i would say thats sweden.

certainly on the womens side they have achieved alot more

scotland would be 3rd and then switzerland would come 4th for me.

i agree about the russians being inconsistent but i think now if they settle down with this lineup of anna skipping and lucy playing 3rd then they will finally fulfill their potential. I think the consistency was only a rpoblem because of the lineup shuffling. This is probably the strongest lineup they have ever had and i do think playing 3rd suits lucy much better than skipping.That way she can just focus on her shots and not feel pressured in calling the game. I think anna is so much stronger mentally

Last edited by misty1 on 01-30-12 at 04:45PM

01-30-12 05:29PM
Unregistered

Well, strongest in depth, not in top teams. Sweden has a rather small group of curlers, but they have a very professional schedule for their top athletes. You know, Sweden, from a North American point of view, is pretty much a Communist country.

Switzerland has a lot more curling teams than Sweden, real curling club scene, but there is less support for a view top teams as in countries like China, Russia, Korea or Sweden (that is, of course, not really true - Sweden has still a lot more curling clubs/teams than China, but compared to Scotland, they have virtually none).

As you can see, club curling doesn't help much when it comes to the stage of World championships or Olympics (at least on the women's side).

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 95.91.52.242

01-30-12 06:58PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Well, strongest in depth, not in top teams. Sweden has a rather small group of curlers, but they have a very professional schedule for their top athletes. You know, Sweden, from a North American point of view, is pretty much a Communist country.

Switzerland has a lot more curling teams than Sweden, real curling club scene, but there is less support for a view top teams as in countries like China, Russia, Korea or Sweden (that is, of course, not really true - Sweden has still a lot more curling clubs/teams than China, but compared to Scotland, they have virtually none).

As you can see, club curling doesn't help much when it comes to the stage of World championships or Olympics (at least on the women's side).

in terms of depth, yeah i would definately have to agree with you then.

02-06-12 12:15PM
China Supporter
Drawmaster

Draw Schedule has been released...

http://www.curling.ca/championships.../draw-schedule/

My must watch mstchups, not that I would be not be watching all of their matches are:

Can v. Chn, (the usual draw, where I suspend my Cdn Citizenship)
Ita v. Chn, (Reunion with Coach Raphael... The JJ v. Cathy O match up for the Flowers)
Swe v. Chn, (No Norberg but Sigfreedson has been a Powerhouse)
Chn v. Ger, (Potential must win to make the playoffs...)

and hopefully the 1 v. 2 page matchup with a Gold Medal Final

02-17-12 12:30PM
guycan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guycan Click here to Send guycan a Private Message Find more posts by guycan Add guycan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guycan
Swing Artist

Follow all the results of this weekend's German Championship in Garmisch here: http://curlingdm2.nw.io/

The winner of the 4-team double RR goes to Lethbridge.

02-17-12 12:39PM
Unregistered

team dreindl seems like such a fun team

andrea will more than likely come through here, i dont think team dreindl is yet experienced enough to beat her but in a season or 2 they may be ready

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

02-17-12 12:55PM
Unregistered

The Chinese Curling Association gives some flexibility to them I suppose when it is only the Worlds. Like last year, they didn't put the foursome to train much and allowed them to study or handle personal matters like getting married. But it definitely won't happen when it comes to the Olympics. I heard from an interview of them that they were locked in a flat in Canada with no communication devices and they were not allowed to go out except going for training.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 112.119.196.243

02-17-12 07:13PM
China Supporter
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
The Chinese Curling Association gives some flexibility to them I suppose when it is only the Worlds. Like last year, they didn't put the foursome to train much and allowed them to study or handle personal matters like getting married. But it definitely won't happen when it comes to the Olympics. I heard from an interview of them that they were locked in a flat in Canada with no communication devices and they were not allowed to go out except going for training.

Bingyu reported to a Chinese Sports Paper that her team is set for the Worlds.

It will be Bingyu at Skip; Yue Qingshaung and Zhou Yan at Lead. Liu Jinli and Sun Yue will complete the squad. What's left to be determine is will Qingshuang be the "2nd/Vice" or Yue be the Vice.

Jinli will likely be the 5th player while Yan and Bingyu are at their regular spots...

I posted a thread here last May which gave a darker story about their training before Vancouver which contrasts the CTV one that was played during the winter games.

All of these ladies are "tweeting" on the Communist Social Media sites so I do think the no communication device rule will be in play this time around...

02-17-12 07:57PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

andrea is in the lead in germany after day 1 but she's had 2 tight games so atleast she hasnt railroaded everyone like she used too

team jacoby and dreindl are 1-1 and team bastian is 0-2

02-17-12 08:04PM
UpYerKilt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UpYerKilt Find more posts by UpYerKilt Add UpYerKilt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Germany

I dont think Andrea has "railroaded" the German scene.. she just has been the only German Womens Team with any calibre..
In fact she and Kapp have kept Curling going in a very skiing focused country.

I like Driendl.. don't know if she has quite the Team to knock off Team Schoeep but she tries hard

I hope Schoepp makes it to worlds..she has the best Curlers even with her weak finesse shot-making.

02-17-12 08:09PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Germany

quote:
I dont think Andrea has "railroaded" the German scene.. she just has been the only German Womens Team with any calibre..
In fact she and Kapp have kept Curling going in a very skiing focused country.

I like Driendl.. don't know if she has quite the Team to knock off Team Schoeep but she tries hard

I hope Schoepp makes it to worlds..she has the best Curlers even with her weak finesse shot-making.

you havent followed the german playdowns much have you? in the past its been common for her to win games with scores like 13-4 and 10-3..in fact her closest game last year was still a 6 point game in her favor

i dont know if her closer games so far this week are because she's winding down or the other teams are getting better

but the 2 teams she's played are young so maybe its good that they can challenge her

i definately dont deny how important andy and andrea have been for german curling, who knows where they'd be if not for the 2 of them

the womens scene is starting to show some promise but whats concerning is that any young german mens teams that could have taken over once andy retired like baumann and neuner have disappeared

02-18-12 06:07AM
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Cemantics

Very small point but I took the word "railroaded" to be a bit on the negative, bullying side..whereas Andrea has basically been the only Women's Team in the country so naturally she won easily.
Like this year there are but 4 Teams involved Driendl, Jacoby, Bastian and Dr Schoepp..who has won two matches on the first day.

02-18-12 02:42PM
UpYerKilt
Super Rockchucker

Schoepp 4-0

looks pretty sure that Andrea w9ill be in Lethbridge..

I sure hope so..she has a really strong young Team she is guiding and fans will see some very good shooting.