Warning: include(fileinc/eventheader.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/httpdocs/showthread.php on line 1008

Warning: include(fileinc/eventheader.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/httpdocs/showthread.php on line 1008

Warning: include(): Failed opening 'fileinc/eventheader.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/plesk/php/5.6/share/pear') in /var/www/vhosts/curlingzone.com/httpdocs/showthread.php on line 1008
CurlingZone – Everything Curling

Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

Curling Scores

M: Princess Auto Players' Championship
Toronto, ON
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 14 -- 2:30pm ET
Retornaz Final
Gushue (8) Watch Live Curling!
W: Princess Auto Players' Championship
Toronto, ON
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 14 -- 10:00am ET
Tirinzoni Final
Wrana (8) Watch Live Curling!
: USA Curling Mixed National Championship
Denver, CO
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 14 -- 10:00am MT
Leichter Final
Falco 10  (6) Watch Live Curling!
Sobering Final
McMullin (EE)
M: World Mixed Doubles Curling Championship
Ostersund, SWE
Draw: 1 -- Sat, Apr 20 -- 10:00am CET
Denmark  
Germany  
Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Games > Manitoba Scotties: Jill Thurston vs. Janet Harvey

CurlingZone Scoreboard
Team HMR 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Score 
Thurston, J
Winnipeg, MB
   1  0  0  2  1  X          4  
Harvey, J
Winnipeg, MB
     0  1  2  0  0  X          3  
View Current Draw
  Admin   REFRESH 
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-24-15 09:56AM
C_Hodgy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C_Hodgy Click here to Send C_Hodgy a Private Message Find more posts by C_Hodgy Add C_Hodgy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Hodgy
Drawmaster

Manitoba Scotties: Jill Thurston vs. Janet Harvey

Well executed end by Thurston forces Harvey to 1 in the second end. tied up 1-1. Karwacki playing well lobbing draws & freezes under the Harvey centre guards.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-24-15 10:12AM
C_Hodgy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C_Hodgy Click here to Send C_Hodgy a Private Message Find more posts by C_Hodgy Add C_Hodgy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Hodgy
Drawmaster

Thurston with a disaster in the 3rd end. Playing a shot for two, stuffs it on her own stone and gives up a STEAL of 2. Huge momentum swing on an end that looked like it would be a multiple score for Jill.

01-24-15 10:53AM
C_Hodgy
Drawmaster

I have no idea what just happened. Teams shook after the minimum amount of ends played in a close game...

01-24-15 11:17AM
C_Hodgy
Drawmaster

Word is there was a somewhat verbal agreement between the skips pre game about not playing the entire 10 ends because neither team was in playoff contention. Harvey extended the handshake after the minimum amount of ends required to play while being down one. Thurston takes the win. Fans in Winkler upset that the teams didn't provide the entertainment expected in a close game at the Manitoba Scotties.

01-24-15 11:19AM
C_Hodgy
Drawmaster

Some players choosing to stick around and support the rest of the games and the Winkler event. Really strange thing to happen.

01-24-15 11:58AM
Borough Boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Borough Boy Click here to Send Borough Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Borough Boy Add Borough Boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

This is sickening. Only good thing is that very few folks came to see Manitoba Roadkill like Thurston and especially Harvey. But both were former Manitoba champions and Jones wasn't on the draw (95% of the fans want to see her) so the fans deserved to see a nice game between 70-75% curlers.

You have clearly never been in that position before, this is the shortcomings of the round robin system.

You come in with expectations to win, you just took four or five days off work, missed family time etc and now you have to go out and playa meaningless game, not a lot of fun.

Read burned by the rock, this has been going on for years so don't beat these girls up, Werenich dumped a game in the ontario provincials to earn a bye to the finals in the 80's. Don't hate the players hate the system.

01-24-15 12:08PM
C_Hodgy
Drawmaster

There comes to a point that collectively everyone involved needs to be on the same page about building the game. Players are not bigger than the sport and the entertainment it needs to provide to keep the game going. I have been in many "meaningless" competitive games in my life and the thought to not play has never happened. Fans pay money to support the event which brings business to the community. Winkler has been an incredible event as far as volunteerism and collective support. If the sacrifice to turn off the rest of your life for 5 days at this event is too much I question if the motive to be at the event itself is too much. If that's the case then reevaluation might be necessary.

01-24-15 01:40PM
Borough Boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Borough Boy Click here to Send Borough Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Borough Boy Add Borough Boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by C_Hodgy
There comes to a point that collectively everyone involved needs to be on the same page about building the game. Players are not bigger than the sport and the entertainment it needs to provide to keep the game going. I have been in many "meaningless" competitive games in my life and the thought to not play has never happened. Fans pay money to support the event which brings business to the community. Winkler has been an incredible event as far as volunteerism and collective support. If the sacrifice to turn off the rest of your life for 5 days at this event is too much I question if the motive to be at the event itself is too much. If that's the case then reevaluation might be necessary.

Did they break a rule?

I was responding to Ml who used words like "sickening". This isn't sickening, bill Cosby is sickening, atrocities against society are sickening, quitting after 5 ends is not sickening, especially when it is within the rules.

As for the entertainment argument. Since when is it an obligation of curlers to entertain at a provincial championship? are they paid for these events? If Bryan Adams comes to town and can' t sing demand your money back, he is in the entertainment business. Curlers are there to compete until they are knocked out. I guess lobbing and peeling rocks for 10 ends with a score of 2-1 would be better ? Good lord, the big o did 400 worse things than this and did that have some everlasting effect on curling growth? I mean come on. Let's be a little more mela dramatic. Watching curlers hungover and still possibly drunk during the trials last year should have caused a problem if there was ever going to be one on this topic.

Do you honestly believe that a young 10 year old is not going to start curling because thurston and Harvey shook after 5 or a volunteer is not going to volunteer for the same reason? The volunteer who is on the ice doing the scoring was probably thrilled they didn't have to sit for five more ends of a game that means the same as a Friday night mixed game, actually that game actually means more, my bad.

They did not break a rule so if someone wants their $5 back that they paid for the draw go take it up with the MCA get their refund .

And the people complaining were probably also mentioning how they are on a fixed income and it's uphill both ways,

Last edited by Borough Boy on 01-24-15 at 02:05PM

01-24-15 02:27PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Weighing in.
I respect them for shaking. They have played each other a gazillion times over the years. They practiced and were fit, with the goal to make 1. the playoffs, and 2. the nationals. Both goals were quashed for both teams. It showed respect for each other to not have to endure a meaningless dance. The skips agreed. The rules allow. Let's go for a beer. Cheers one and all.

01-24-15 02:52PM
C_Hodgy
Drawmaster

Players aren't bigger than the sport. It is a players duty when they come into the realm of the highest echelon of curling to attempt to be professional and provide a value for the game. Sponsors pay for the event to run and fans pay for the ability to watch high level curling. 2 games ended early based on lopsided scores. People are not happy in this building.

01-24-15 03:15PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i find it odd that people suggest a triple knock out format. let me ask you this. would you suggest putting one into place at the national or world championship? because the same problem could exist

01-24-15 07:24PM
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Players aren't bigger than the sport. It is a players duty when they come into the realm of the highest echelon of curling to attempt to be professional and provide a value for the game. Sponsors pay for the event to run and fans pay for the ability to watch high level curling. 2 games ended early based on lopsided scores. People are not happy in this building.

So it's not ok to play 5 ends and shake but you can skip a team in manitoba even though you live in ontario?

Just trying to gauge where your line of professionalism gets blurred.

01-24-15 08:15PM
C_Hodgy
Drawmaster

Residency rules have been grey for years. We aren't far from it opening up entirely. The only issues I ever hear of residency are in curling forums online.

01-24-15 08:37PM
CHASE99 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHASE99 Click here to Send CHASE99 a Private Message Find more posts by CHASE99 Add CHASE99 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHASE99
Knee-Slider

I agree if we want to keep sponsors players need to supply a good effort. All these players took the time off let's support winkler and every other host town in the future without them there is no event does it really hurt them to toss 3or 4 more ends.

01-24-15 08:59PM
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Residency rules have been grey for years. We aren't far from it opening up entirely. The only issues I ever hear of residency are in curling forums online.

This is my last post on this topic it's getting tired.

I'm a Jen fan, I just don't appreciate posters talking out of both sides of their mouth. The residency rule, like the amount of ends required to play are both crystal clear,there is no grey. Neither of the teams mentioned have broken a rule.

When I see people talking about professionalism and how it some how tarnished the game, something must be said.

By the way, is treading on the residency rule for over a decade less professional then shaking after 5, my word. Just wondering if Georgina Wheatcroft has moved back to Bc.? Remember she was a Manitoba resident while curling for a Manitoba team a long long time ago.

If you are going to throw stones at glass houses,some glass is going to get broken.

Now go grab a beer and celebrate the one vs one victory.

01-24-15 09:03PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i personally dont care if someone represents a different province then when they were bron. but yeah, it seems to me that a person should have some sort of tie to a province if they are going to represent it. live there, work there..either one

01-24-15 09:11PM
C_Hodgy
Drawmaster

There are requirements that have to be met on two levels to play from a different province. Provincial association Requirements and National requirements. I had to have 4 different proofs I am Manitoban now since I came from Alberta. Curlers make tremendous sacrifices to attempt to play at the top level. We aren't making millions of dollars and riding the gravy train.

01-28-15 12:34PM
Chopper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chopper Click here to Send Chopper a Private Message Find more posts by Chopper Add Chopper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chopper
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Borough Boy

Did they break a rule?

I was responding to Ml who used words like "sickening". This isn't sickening, bill Cosby is sickening, atrocities against society are sickening, quitting after 5 ends is not sickening, especially when it is within the rules.

As for the entertainment argument. Since when is it an obligation of curlers to entertain at a provincial championship? are they paid for these events? If Bryan Adams comes to town and can' t sing demand your money back, he is in the entertainment business. Curlers are there to compete until they are knocked out. I guess lobbing and peeling rocks for 10 ends with a score of 2-1 would be better ? Good lord, the big o did 400 worse things than this and did that have some everlasting effect on curling growth? I mean come on. Let's be a little more mela dramatic. Watching curlers hungover and still possibly drunk during the trials last year should have caused a problem if there was ever going to be one on this topic.

Do you honestly believe that a young 10 year old is not going to start curling because thurston and Harvey shook after 5 or a volunteer is not going to volunteer for the same reason? The volunteer who is on the ice doing the scoring was probably thrilled they didn't have to sit for five more ends of a game that means the same as a Friday night mixed game, actually that game actually means more, my bad.

They did not break a rule so if someone wants their $5 back that they paid for the draw go take it up with the MCA get their refund .

And the people complaining were probably also mentioning how they are on a fixed income and it's uphill both ways,

There was a great post on the curler about this and I agree with it 100%.

Here is the link to it http://www.thecurler.com/story,news...ove-of-the-Game

It's easy to say that they didn't break any rules but curling is a sport that has many items of ediquet that don't make it into the rule books. What happened with this game ending after 5 with score 4-3 was not good for the sport and if you argue differently then you just don't get it. As it was said before the players aren't bigger than the game.

I get it, they were out, disappointed, tired, but would one more hour of playing the sport they love been that hard to do?

01-28-15 03:05PM
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Chopper

There was a great post on the curler about this and I agree with it 100%.

Here is the link to it http://www.thecurler.com/story,news...ove-of-the-Game

It's easy to say that they didn't break any rules but curling is a sport that has many items of ediquet that don't make it into the rule books. What happened with this game ending after 5 with score 4-3 was not good for the sport and if you argue differently then you just don't get it. As it was said before the players aren't bigger than the game.

I get it, they were out, disappointed, tired, but would one more hour of playing the sport they love been that hard to do?

Alright I'm back in...........damn it.

I have seen more than once this reference to " not bigger than the game" What the heck does that even mean?

I'm sure that this was not the greatest decision ever made, and if truth be told, maybe the girls would have thrown rocks into the house and peeled out for another 5 ends to satisfy everyone involved, but as I originally stated, posters were using words such as "sickening" and my post that you quoted, explained why in my opinion, words such as these were misused. The rest of the thread morphed into a whole other area, but this is where it started. Do I get that some were disappointed, of course, but the rule was there. If this is such a big concern, then the MCA can simply change the rule. Teams also have a serious obligation to protect the field, if either team was playing a meaningful game and did something like this, then I would be the first in line admonishing that behaviour, but this was not the case.

FYI- the Ontario Tankard has no such game length requirement until the playoffs, so the MCA is not out of step with current standards.

Last edited by Borough Boy on 01-28-15 at 03:08PM

01-28-15 03:50PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

At the Brier in Hamilton, New Brunswick was forced to play Glen Howard's Ontario team for 6 ends even though they wanted to shake after 4.

Glen played the last end to allow NB to draw for shot. This happened on the final day of round robin play.

01-28-15 05:42PM
Chopper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chopper Click here to Send Chopper a Private Message Find more posts by Chopper Add Chopper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chopper
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Borough Boy

Alright I'm back in...........damn it.

I have seen more than once this reference to " not bigger than the game" What the heck does that even mean?

I'm sure that this was not the greatest decision ever made, and if truth be told, maybe the girls would have thrown rocks into the house and peeled out for another 5 ends to satisfy everyone involved, but as I originally stated, posters were using words such as "sickening" and my post that you quoted, explained why in my opinion, words such as these were misused. The rest of the thread morphed into a whole other area, but this is where it started. Do I get that some were disappointed, of course, but the rule was there. If this is such a big concern, then the MCA can simply change the rule. Teams also have a serious obligation to protect the field, if either team was playing a meaningful game and did something like this, then I would be the first in line admonishing that behaviour, but this was not the case.

FYI- the Ontario Tankard has no such game length requirement until the playoffs, so the MCA is not out of step with current standards.

They could have thrown rocks into the house and peeled them out for 5 ends?????? Why couldn't they have just played the game the way they normally would have? To do their best, and if things go their way they win and if it doesn't, oh well you come back to do it again another day. If it's so freekin horrible to play the game as good as you can for 5 more ends, why are they there? Oh right to win the province and nothing less is a failure. This is the attitude that's killing curling. If I can't win it all I'll quit. This is the attitude most juniors have these days. They have aspirations of going to the Olympics and once they realize they're not good enough or how tough it really is they quit. They don't play for the fun of the game. They don't continue to play with friends or family in the club or mixed leagues. I wonder why clubs are closing. No I'm not blaming these incredibly gifted lady's for the decline in the participation in curling, but all they had to do was play. They didn't, they put themselves before the game. Oh and as far as the term "sickening" you have to realize the source of the comment.