Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Anything official out on broom rules for 2016-17?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-13-16 05:10PM
Keon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Keon Click here to Send Keon a Private Message Find more posts by Keon Add Keon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keon
Hitting Paint

It looks like these approved heads are available for online order from the manufacturer's already:

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-13-16 07:45PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by MB Tucker

If anyone needs this fabric please message me. I can get you Approved heads/pads for Hardline, Performance, Balance Plus and Olson.

Performance and Olson websites don't even mention they have regulatory pads and you say you have them?

Not only do your pads need to be made from the Magic Fabric, I believe there is a special code on the inside of the fabric to testify that the material is indeed the correct one and has been obtained by the curling manufacturer from a recognized supplier.

09-13-16 09:15PM
MB Tucker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MB Tucker Click here to Send MB Tucker a Private Message Visit MB Tucker's homepage! Find more posts by MB Tucker Add MB Tucker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MB Tucker
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Itsjustagame

Performance and Olson websites don't even mention they have regulatory pads and you say you have them?

Not only do your pads need to be made from the Magic Fabric, I believe there is a special code on the inside of the fabric to testify that the material is indeed the correct one and has been obtained by the curling manufacturer from a recognized supplier.

It may not have hit there websites yet but they do have a product. Fell free to contact me directly with any questions.

09-13-16 11:30PM
Bugman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bugman Click here to Send Bugman a Private Message Find more posts by Bugman Add Bugman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bugman
Harvey Hacksmasher

Not that you see much of this stuff anymore, but ...

What happens if a player deliberately does an overhead two-handed demo job on their designated broom?

Can they ask for a replacement, or are they SOL for the rest of the game?

If the latter is the case, it might further reduce the incidence of 'animal acts' in curling.

Just a thought ...

Jim Corrigan

09-14-16 03:35AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Bugman
Not that you see much of this stuff anymore, but ...

What happens if a player deliberately does an overhead two-handed demo job on their designated broom?

Can they ask for a replacement, or are they SOL for the rest of the game?

If the latter is the case, it might further reduce the incidence of 'animal acts' in curling.

Just a thought ...

Jim Corrigan

Well, if they are serious about being strict with these new sweeping rules, I would hope that if the brush pad remains intact on a broken broom, the brush pad would have to be transferred to the replacement broom.

The brush pad would seem to be one of the most difficult parts of the broom to break...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

09-14-16 10:59AM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

personally I'd like to see a rule in place where if you break your broom in anger or through a deliberate act ( i.e. slamming it) that you are not allowed to replace it, nor are you allowed to swap remaining brooms among the players.

09-14-16 12:28PM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

Not sure if this was asked already but can a skip still call a game and sweep behind the t line with hair like the end of last season?
I know they have said no hair for sweepers but does that include the skip?

09-14-16 03:37PM
dixarone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dixarone Click here to Send dixarone a Private Message Find more posts by dixarone Add dixarone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dixarone
Knee-Slider

Both skip and third must also designate their sweeping device before the game, and are not allowed to swap it out, or swap it with other players. So, no hair anywhere on the ice.

Everyone is allowed to use the throwing aid of their choice, so if that's hair/corn/crutch, whatever, it's okay there, but there only.

09-15-16 03:00PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
personally I'd like to see a rule in place where if you break your broom in anger or through a deliberate act ( i.e. slamming it) that you are not allowed to replace it, nor are you allowed to swap remaining brooms among the players.

I am easily agree to this.

09-16-16 02:46AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:

That might be fine for children's leagues, but not with adults.
I know that expressing frustration is not 'politically correct' today - but I've no respect for 'political correctness', because it's complete phoniness.

No other sport that I can think of disallows the replacement of equipment broken within the expression of frustration/anger (except golf, I suppose - but that's simply because each club is unique, and it's impractical to carry replacement clubs). But sports in general understand that frustration is part of every sport, and that the frustration needs to be expressed periodically.
In tennis, when racquets are broken in anger, they are simply and easily replaced (and the player usually gets a warning - and if they do it again, a point is taken away, then a game, etc.). In baseball, if a bat is broken in anger, it's simply chalked up to the frustrations of the game. Same in hockey when a stick is broken in anger. And a helmet in football - same thing...
So why should curling be different than all other sports in not understanding that frustrations exist, and not allowing these frustrations to be expressed periodically?

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 09-16-16 at 02:58AM

09-16-16 08:08AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

According to the WCF website the product is called Nylon Oxford 420D.

The only source information I could find was a Chinese textile manufacturer.

FYI, the new material is a coated 420 denier oxford cloth woven from nylon. The coating is on the reverse side. This is a thin, medium-fine tight weave cloth material. The tight, flat weave means fewer flatter "bumps" to scratch the ice. When I get a copy I'll image it and do a preliminary analysis of the coating.

09-16-16 09:20AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

That might be fine for children's leagues, but not with adults.
I know that expressing frustration is not 'politically correct' today - but I've no respect for 'political correctness', because it's complete phoniness.

No other sport that I can think of disallows the replacement of equipment broken within the expression of frustration/anger (except golf, I suppose - but that's simply because each club is unique, and it's impractical to carry replacement clubs). But sports in general understand that frustration is part of every sport, and that the frustration needs to be expressed periodically.
In tennis, when racquets are broken in anger, they are simply and easily replaced (and the player usually gets a warning - and if they do it again, a point is taken away, then a game, etc.). In baseball, if a bat is broken in anger, it's simply chalked up to the frustrations of the game. Same in hockey when a stick is broken in anger. And a helmet in football - same thing...
So why should curling be different than all other sports in not understanding that frustrations exist, and not allowing these frustrations to be expressed periodically?

In golf if your club breaks you can send a person to get a replacement. If you break it you have to play down a club for rest of round.

Tennis does have a penalty system

In baseball throw your equipment and you are tossed out of the game

In football in many levels remove yoru helmet and sit out a play. In the NFL take of your helmet and get a 15 yard penalty.

No idea about hockey.

The point is that in most sports there is a consequence to acting like a child and abusing yoru equipment, even if it comes with a warning first. Curling needs to have some sort of system as well. Not to mention that most often any abuse of your broom is as a result of contact with the ice, which as we all know people insist on protecting the ice.

09-16-16 09:38AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

In golf if your club breaks you can send a person to get a replacement. If you break it you have to play down a club for rest of round.

Tennis does have a penalty system

In baseball throw your equipment and you are tossed out of the game

In football in many levels remove yoru helmet and sit out a play. In the NFL take of your helmet and get a 15 yard penalty.

No idea about hockey.

The point is that in most sports there is a consequence to acting like a child and abusing yoru equipment, even if it comes with a warning first. Curling needs to have some sort of system as well. Not to mention that most often any abuse of your broom is as a result of contact with the ice, which as we all know people insist on protecting the ice.

Well, in SASK if you do not comport yourself like a gentlemen (i.e. swear like a sailor during the game) you can get tossed. I think it happened during the SASK provincials a couple of years ago?

If you break your broom, maybe you should force the offender to sweep the rest of the game with a stabilizer. That'll teach you to break your broom!

Cheers.

09-16-16 11:57AM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

The rules now state that you declare four sweeping brooms at the beginning of the game and have to use those four brooms, can not exchange them etc. If the player knows that a broom broken through abuse or in anger will not be replaced yet still is stupid enough to detonate it, then he or she does not deserve another broom. If you are so childish that breaking something is they only way to make yourself feel better then maybe you need to seek professional help.

09-16-16 04:03PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

quote:
The rules now state that you declare four sweeping brooms at the beginning of the game and have to use those four brooms, can not exchange them etc. If the player knows that a broom broken through abuse or in anger will not be replaced yet still is stupid enough to detonate it, then he or she does not deserve another broom. If you are so childish that breaking something is they only way to make yourself feel better then maybe you need to seek professional help.

AGREED 100%

09-16-16 04:16PM
curlky
Drawmaster

dugless_zone 13 you are right, and before on the nose chimes back in, I would like to state the baseball used to have a bunch arguing balls and strikes with the umpires. However, as soon as they passed a rule that states that these arguments are automatic ejections, amazingly most of them stopped. Sure a few still happen, but the players and/or managers know they will be kicked out for doing do.

09-16-16 11:25PM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Well, you guys can have your tidy, clean 'politically correct' sports where no-one gets angry or frustrated or swears, and they pause twice per game to ensure that everyone is wearing clean underwear...

I don't at all mind honest expressions of frustration - it's simply part of life. To create an atmosphere where it's not allowed because - God forbid! - it might OFFEND some overly sensitive person is just fake and artificial. To disallow passion and honest expression of emotion (whether in joy or anger) is completely unnatural, and creates an antiseptic, homogenized, artificial environment.

As I stated, in no sport at a high level are players made to lose the use of their equipment if it is broken in frustration or anger. But that is what some of you are calling for in curling, as you try to make your little overly-protective 'politically correct' world.
Hell, in baseball, we've seen players break their bats after striking out. No consequence given. In hockey, sticks are broken regularly in anger - again, without any punishment or consequence.
In tennis, if you smash your racquet into 37 pieces, all you get is a warning. If you do it a second time, you get just one point taken away. And you want to not allow curlers to get a replacement broom if they break theirs in anger? Seriously??

Jeez - let players break their brooms, racquets, bats, etc. You are completely free to view them as 'morons' or whatever for doing so (though that's a very shallow perspective, and actually shows a lack of understanding of human behaviour).

I can understand not allowing swearing at the elite level, because there are children in attendance, and also among the TV audience. But no child will be harmed in any way by a player slamming his broom down (whether it breaks or not).
And, honestly, even hearing a player swear isn't going to scar a kid for life - no matter what the promoters of 'political correctness' self-servingly and ridiculously claim.

Last edited by On The Nose on 09-16-16 at 11:34PM

09-17-16 12:13AM
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Well, you guys can have your tidy, clean 'politically correct' sports where no-one gets angry or frustrated or swears, and they pause twice per game to ensure that everyone is wearing clean underwear...

I don't at all mind honest expressions of frustration - it's simply part of life. To create an atmosphere where it's not allowed because - God forbid! - it might OFFEND some overly sensitive person is just fake and artificial.

You can throw a tantrum, break your broom, roll on the ground, yell, do whatever you want and I am not offended, and as with most things it is yoru right. I think less of you as a person for it. I think that you are an embarassment to the game. I hope you dont turn off any prospective curlers who are watching your moves, and I hope that if you break your equipment it does not fly off and hit someone else. I wonder why you do it and what you think you are accomplishing. But I will walk over and taunt you as you do it, and I wish you break your equipment so you are out money to replace it, and might even hope for slightly worse for being such a douche, but thats my right.

You can get angry, I have no issues with that. Playing sports does not require stoicism. But I dont see the point of allowing behavior that would get you fired on the spot from a white collar job. Of course thats my opinion, I coudl be wrong.

09-17-16 12:48AM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:

You can throw a tantrum, break your broom, roll on the ground, yell, do whatever you want and I am not offended, and as with most things it is yoru right. I think less of you as a person for it. I think that you are an embarassment to the game. I hope you dont turn off any prospective curlers who are watching your moves, and I hope that if you break your equipment it does not fly off and hit someone else. I wonder why you do it and what you think you are accomplishing. But I will walk over and taunt you as you do it, and I wish you break your equipment so you are out money to replace it, and might even hope for slightly worse for being such a douche, but thats my right.

You can get angry, I have no issues with that. Playing sports does not require stoicism. But I dont see the point of allowing behavior that would get you fired on the spot from a white collar job. Of course thats my opinion, I coudl be wrong.

Yes, you most certainly could be wrong...

Obviously, you don't understand that not everyone is just like you. Some people wear their emotions on their sleeves, and express their passion in several different ways. It doesn't make it 'right' or 'wrong'...
I'm simply saying that people should be permitted to express their passion in the manner which is natural to them, instead of trying to fit everyone in a neat little 'politically correct' box where everyone behaves the same way.

Just let players be who they naturally are, rather than trying to control them. Some will be funny... others will be intense... others will have a 'poker face'... it's all fine, as long as it's natural.

09-17-16 01:40AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:

I'm curious why you compare sport to white collar jobs? For the role they play, the battle and intensity of sport, it feels a lot more like blue collar work where cursing, etc is much more acceptable on the job.

The white collar jobs in sport are in the front offices, the press boxes, etc. Where swearing and showing emotion like that isn't acceptable.

Curling, like golf might feel more white collar, but it still pushes players emotions to the edge.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

09-17-16 10:54AM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

In Golf if you break a club in anger that club is gone and can not be replaced. As for breaking brooms, if you break one in a competition run by your curling association then you most likely wont need a replacement for the rest of game as you will be sitting somewhere other than the arena. But just for fun lets review where you end up when you detonate your broom in anger. First off you or your team are out about $100-$150, the cost to replace the carbon fiber shrapnel you now possess. Secondly, just about everyone who witnessed your little fit of pique now thinks your an A$$hat, and finally, the net result of all your actions is that the outcome of the shot that made you act like an idiot is still exactly the same as it was before you behaved like a petulant little child.

No one is stopping you from destroying your broom because you have anger management issues but rules are in place to make sure you get a nice relaxing vacation from the remainder of the game should you choose to do so.

09-17-16 02:42PM
Rock On ft is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock On ft Click here to Send Rock On ft a Private Message Find more posts by Rock On ft Add Rock On ft to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock On ft
Harvey Hacksmasher

A little help here... So now that we know what brooms are legal...If anyone watched or participated in any of the cash spiels this year, can you answer me this? Are two sweepers sweeping at the same time, the whole time the skip calls for such action? Are they sweeping across the face or plowing? Do any teams have two people sweeping on the same side for certain shots? Thanks for the help.

09-18-16 02:44AM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
In Golf if you break a club in anger that club is gone and can not be replaced.

In golf, if you break a club in anger, you have a bag full of other clubs to use for the remainder of the round. What you're calling for in curling is that if a player breaks a broom in anger, he will not be permitted to replace that broom. This is ridiculous and absurd.

quote:
As for breaking brooms, if you break one in a competition run by your curling association then you most likely wont need a replacement for the rest of game as you will be sitting somewhere other than the arena. But just for fun lets review where you end up when you detonate your broom in anger. First off you or your team are out about $100-$150, the cost to replace the carbon fiber shrapnel you now possess. Secondly, just about everyone who witnessed your little fit of pique now thinks your an A$$hat, and finally, the net result of all your actions is that the outcome of the shot that made you act like an idiot is still exactly the same as it was before you behaved like a petulant little child.

No one is stopping you from destroying your broom because you have anger management issues but rules are in place to make sure you get a nice relaxing vacation from the remainder of the game should you choose to do so.

You are wrong in stating that "just about everyone who witnessed your little fit of pique now thinks your an A$$hat". That's your perspective - and you're entitled to it... but don't project that to "just about everyone". You are free to think that people who express anger and frustration by, for example, breaking a broom, are "idiots" (as you so eloquently refer to them) - but that only reveals how limited your understanding of human behaviour is.
Your perspective on this behaviour is an extremely simplistic and superficial one. Human behaviour is clearly far more complex than the mere surface that you see. I suggest you reserve some time to study up on human behaviour, and on the fact that not everyone is just like you.

Many of the best tennis players in the world smash their racquets to pieces almost at least once every tournament. Sometimes several racquets. (I've followed tennis for some 35 years, so please don't try to tell me that this isn't so.) This breaking of racquets is understood and accepted by the tennis rulesmakers, who barely penalize this action. It is also understood and accepted by the majority of tennis fans that I've witnessed.

Frustration happens. It's part of life. And some people are more intense than others. This, too, is a natural part of life. If this bothers and disturbs you to the point where you are not able to tolerate it, then I suggest that YOU are the one with the problem, and that you want to be far too controlling of others.
Hell - they won't be breaking YOUR broom, so let them be who they are. Think of them whatever you wish to think - but don't try to control their behaviour to fit into what YOU think is 'right'...

Last edited by On The Nose on 09-18-16 at 03:11AM

09-18-16 11:01AM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

You keep referring to Tennis and the rules of that sport and relating them to curling when in fact the rules of one sport have no application to the other sport. Rules have been in place for years dealing with the breaking of brooms or other abusive acts during a game. If you break a broom in anger during a game you get to spend as much quality time as you want with it's replacement in the dressing room. I've officiated hundreds of competitive events and thousands of games at these events and have dealt with three instances of brooms broken in anger and in all three the player was removed from the game and therefore not in need of a replacement broom. As a side note, players who were on the ice at the same time as the player that was removed had far less flattering words concerning the ejected player than the term I used, one team was so impressed with his actions that they removed him from the team and finished the day with three players.

As for a rule taking away the players broom, that rule is already there, a team bringing in a new broom automatically forfeits the game ( and since the broom wasn't broken in the normal course of play there is no reason for the head official to allow a substitute, and his/ her ruling is final).

You talk about understanding human nature but the thing you seem to miss is man's biggest ability, the ability to adapt. If they change the rules to something the ones that adapt the quickest thrive while those that don't fall by the wayside. If the put a one racquet rule in tennis then tennis players would not smash racquet's. simple as that.

09-18-16 02:25PM
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

quote:

Obviously, you don't understand that not everyone is just like you. Some people wear their emotions on their sleeves, and express their passion in several different ways.

Please do not confuse competitiveness, desire to win and passion with useless, immature and childish behaviors like swearing and breaking brooms.

It is offensive to the great curlers and all of the recreational ones who play with honor and in true respect of the spirit of the game.