Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Anything official out on broom rules for 2016-17?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-11-16 09:07AM
tapfreeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tapfreeze Find more posts by tapfreeze Add tapfreeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tapfreeze
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
Because, after all, there's no sense having one set of rules for everyone when two will do

The WCF doesn't have any jurisdiction over league play or events outside of its own. It's irrational to think they could rule on every level.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-11-16 12:00PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
As expected the WCF has gone with the wonder fabric and now we await rubber stamping by the CCA.

http://www.worldcurling.org/aga-2016

Ladies and gentlemen, start your snowplows. Lol.

Oh, one final thing to all you club and recreational curlers: No getting pissy when you're playing league games or Bonspiel event finals and you run up against guys with Blackheads chewing up your pebble and making their stones do barrel rolls just to win a toaster and take the fun out of the game.

Because, after all, there's no sense having one set of rules for everyone when two will do

Snowplough all you want, you're just wasting your energy.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

09-11-16 12:36PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Snowplowing is a waste of energy but sweeping is an efficient use of it? How is that so?

09-11-16 03:11PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Oh puhleaze Gerry. I was being funny.

Btw if you have read the summary of the new rules-as I'm sure you have-then you know that the sweeping motion can now be made in any direction with new wonder fabric brooms and it clearly states that the motion does not have to be across the entire running surface of the stone.

Maybe I'm just, as my skip lovingly pointed out, a lazy old fuddy-duddy, but that rings pretty clear as a rule which completely allows plowing.

And btw, just for everyone, I will totally be prepared to enjoy a slice of humble pie next season if this new setup closes the file on directional sweeping. Until then, I'm very content to adopt the same techniques and watch the show at both the competitive and recreational levels of the game.

Last edited by jamcan on 09-11-16 at 03:16PM

09-11-16 03:15PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by tapfreeze

The WCF doesn't have any jurisdiction over league play or events outside of its own. It's irrational to think they could rule on every level.

Fair enough tapfreeze. I guess it depends upon what you consider as leadership. IMO the WCF is the mothership and should be calling on a worldwide acceptance of wonderfabric at all levels of play.

09-11-16 05:29PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

It will be interesting to see how it is enforced by the WCF since the rules state it cant deposit debris and now the new definition of debris includes frost, ice, snow etc.

09-11-16 06:27PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Last year, the elite players and WCF said it was just too darn tough to police sweeping angle and corner sweeping so snowplowing and directional sweeping was dandy. Now, the elites with Wonder Fabric can be trusted to self-police their debris clearing "final" strokes which will leave random debris piles all over the sheets.

I wonder how soon it will take WCF to stop the skips' snowplow (cleaning) sweeping before they shoot. I don't, offhand, recall them regularly doing a "final" debris clearing stroke.

09-11-16 07:18PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Well first how WCF became big brother I will never know as there are more Clubs/teams in Ontario than the WCF represents around the world (does this mean all the Europe and Asian teams will leave Canada,Oh Please!) CCA should be speaking up, but I guess that doesn't do anything to increase their grant money and wages, but I digress!

Maybe CCA could have said what Canada is using for sweeping rules and let the world do what they please, which, by the way, would be to fall in line. After all, where is all the curling equipment made?

The big issue is what the clubs now have to do for all their leagues as using OCA rules will clearly cause a riot! This will iron itself out in time but not the short term.

All you club curlers, burn your hair brooms and illegal pads!!!

09-11-16 07:37PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
Well first how WCF became big brother I will never know as there are more Clubs/teams in Ontario than the WCF represents around the world (does this mean all the Europe and Asian teams will leave Canada,Oh Please!) CCA should be speaking up, but I guess that doesn't do anything to increase their grant money and wages, but I digress!

Maybe CCA could have said what Canada is using for sweeping rules and let the world do what they please, which, by the way, would be to fall in line. After all, where is all the curling equipment made?

Unfortunately the WCF is pretty much organized along the one country, one vote democratic model. It can be argued (thanks a bunch FIFA) that this is susceptible to corruption, but if we were to have a representation-by-partipation system is it any better that Canada calls all the shots for the rest of the world? Because I'm not convinced we would do any better as dictators based solely on numbers.

Regardless of my disagreement with the decision, the WCF has made their choice and done so democratically. The rules, at least, are fairly well defined and written so we'll just have to see how this now plays out. While my own opinion isn't positive, I will, as mentioned, gladly feast on crow if proven otherwise.

Last edited by jamcan on 09-12-16 at 12:53AM

09-11-16 10:41PM
tapfreeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tapfreeze Find more posts by tapfreeze Add tapfreeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tapfreeze
Harvey Hacksmasher

From Curling Canada's website (see link):
Sweeping Moratorium on Brush Head Technology

This goes into effect tomorrow (September 12th). I noticed it covers ALL CTRS events and mentions using only WCF approved brush heads. Does anyone know where the new up to date list is posted? I couldn't find anything on the WCF site, so how does one really know?

Last edited by tapfreeze on 09-11-16 at 10:46PM

09-12-16 01:29AM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

I've seen the Hardline ones, as well as the Balance Plus (for both the LiteSpeed and normal broom heads) out in a few curling shops. I know Goldline has one out there (Oval Pro), and I'm sure a few others will be on the way. Hopefully there will be enough out there in time for some of the lesser spiels... and I hope there will be a contingency plan in place in case there are not.

It's easy enough to tell what are the approved ones... they're all a nice ugly yellow (the Hardline ones are only yellow on the portion that contacts the ice).

Tried out one on a LiteSpeed broom... I think it'll actually hold up for a few games, if you rotate and clean them properly. I'll hold my judgement for now though until I can get a team (or myself) use them over a weekend or two and then see.

09-12-16 03:15PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

My question(s) to Gerry, because he may have easier access to the information than others on this forum is; What company or companies are supplying the new legal material for head covers and does the WCF or any executive of the WCF or CCA have a stake in that company?

09-12-16 03:47PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Just so no one is confused by the statement posted on the CCA website, they have made a typo. The new rules are in full effect right now and not, as written, for the 2017-18 season.

If you need further clarification on any questions surrounding the new rules, contact Danny Lamoreaux at the CCA.

09-12-16 04:12PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
My question(s) to Gerry, because he may have easier access to the information than others on this forum is; What company or companies are supplying the new legal material for head covers and does the WCF or any executive of the WCF or CCA have a stake in that company?

Not that I know of. I don't believe the fabric is specific to a company but a specific name which describes what the weave/pattern is. I would have to check to be sure though.

What I heard was the original fabric they tested came from Performance and was sitting in their shop for years as it ended up not being something they wanted to make heads from because it didn't perform very well. It's not their fabric but something they sourced from another company, just to make that clear.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

09-12-16 05:11PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:

According to the WCF website the product is called Nylon Oxford 420D.

The only source information I could find was a Chinese textile manufacturer.

09-12-16 05:14PM
hogginsheets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogginsheets Click here to Send hogginsheets a Private Message Find more posts by hogginsheets Add hogginsheets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogginsheets
Harvey Hacksmasher

The only approved fabric heads I can track down so far available in the lower mainland is Hardline, and Goldline you can't even order on their website.

So until the equipment is widely available there will obviously need to be some time allowance, otherwise everyone has to buy all new brooms for the season.......notta.

09-12-16 05:17PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

I think you should all buy Hardline brooms, then see what excuse the governing bodies come up with this time to ban them.

09-12-16 07:50PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Don't the new broom rules say whatever WCF requires must be widely available for sale to be enforceable?

Is corn still allowed? Those at least are widely available being in every hardware store.

09-12-16 11:36PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I think you should all buy Hardline brooms, then see what excuse the governing bodies come up with this time to ban them.

I just did today.

09-12-16 11:39PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogginsheets
The only approved fabric heads I can track down so far available in the lower mainland is Hardline, and Goldline you can't even order on their website.

So until the equipment is widely available there will obviously need to be some time allowance, otherwise everyone has to buy all new brooms for the season.......notta.

LOL. How's that crow tastin' skipper?

09-13-16 11:39AM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

Smile

quote:

Dugless: I just LOVE your comment.

09-13-16 12:56PM
Bugman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bugman Click here to Send Bugman a Private Message Find more posts by Bugman Add Bugman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bugman
Harvey Hacksmasher

Alice asked an interesting question ...

ARE corn brooms still allowed for use in WCF-sanctioned competitions?

In 2016, I sincerely doubt that any team would consider corn to be a viable competitive option. That said, is there a prohibition against four brawny folks going out and pounding corn into the ice?

Jim Corrigan

09-13-16 01:55PM
dixarone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dixarone Click here to Send dixarone a Private Message Find more posts by dixarone Add dixarone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dixarone
Knee-Slider

No corn

Part One, section 3:
"Hair brooms and corn brooms are banned for use as sweeping devices".

Other interesting bit, I thought, was that if a player is injured or has to leave, and another player takes that person's place, the incoming player has to use the outgoing player's broom. (i.e. 4 "declared" sweeping devices are allowed per game, period, notwithstanding extraordinary circumstances like breakage for example).

09-13-16 02:23PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:

I've been told that Richmond CC (in BC, not the Richmond CC in the OVCA) had the approved broom heads from Balance Plus (for both the regular oval pads and for the LiteSpeed pads). Plus the Hardline ones.

09-13-16 04:02PM
MB Tucker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MB Tucker Click here to Send MB Tucker a Private Message Visit MB Tucker's homepage! Find more posts by MB Tucker Add MB Tucker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MB Tucker
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

If anyone needs this fabric please message me. I can get you Approved heads/pads for Hardline, Performance, Balance Plus and Olson.