Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
08-13-16 09:58AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Changes to World Team Qualification

Changes to World Team Qualification including a win-and-go option at Nationals:
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...ocess-announced

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

08-13-16 01:23PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

If my 30 second review of this is correct, this should eliminate a big portion of the hate towards the program where Team USA is all but assured before a single rock is throw. Be in the top 25 and win and you go to worlds. I don't know where the magic 25 number comes in (too high, too low, or just right?) but this is a step in the right direction.

The release didn't say anything about the pre-Nationals OOM standings of the team that actually WON on the ice each of the last three years but I'm sure one of the dozens of people that still care will post that information once they turn off the Olympics and turn on their ice compressors.

Jason

08-13-16 01:38PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

On the first page of the PDF document about 2/3rds of the way down is the ranking of the top 3 USA teams on the Order of Merit heading into Nationals over the last 3 seasons.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

08-15-16 08:45AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Definitely some big steps in the right direction.

A couple of fairly minor quibbles/questions, and one major one from the PDF:

1. The 3rd paragraph says "8 competitions", but the 3rd summary bullet point says "6 best OOM"...what's the discrepancy?

2. Why the 1/23 Date? Seems arbitrary. I would rather see it being "in the Top 25 upon the conclusion of nationals"...although I'd be fairly surprised if the National Championship didn't get you enough points to make it into the Top 25 in most situations, at least if you played your limit of events leading in.

3. (and this one isn't *all* that minor)...the season results they showed to prove this was the right number don't really seem to do that, IMO. There's only one year (2015/16 Mens) where there was more than one team that could have benefited from this rule (and then, only 2 teams could have). So, basically, what this is really saying is "If you are our Top OOM team, you get to go if you win Nationals"...which is...kinda redundant, IMO.

Still, it's better...so credit for trying. Still seems unnecessarily complex to me...but then, I'm going to think that for anything other than "Win and In"

08-15-16 09:44AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

alanmacneill, here are what I think are your answers.

1.) As I read it, it is 8 events to be eligible for the top 25 going into nationals. This is consistent with the OOM system. 6 seems to only apply if a non-Top 25 wins the nationals, at least thats how i read it. I think the difference is that without a Top-25 winner it wants to award team USA to a team that has had more success in Top 3 finishes, rather than mediocre in lots of events.

2.) I like the date, as this will make it a clear statement beforehand which teams are in a win and in situation and which ones dont regardless of how anything else goes. I see your point of view, but I think having pre-knowledge is key. It is also consistent with USA Curling's goal of forcing you to play a lot of events to get into a Team USA situation. By to allowing the nationals to count, it forces you to have to play one more good event (a team may have only had 7 events leading up to the nationals and then its eigth event is nationals and I think that is what USA curling was trying to avoid).

3.) no reason to discuss much on this, as our views on Win and In have been in the past clear. But to me this is a great step.

08-15-16 11:59AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I agree with you that it's the 6 for one scenario and 8 for the other...but that's my question...why? I'm betting it's a case where cut and paste happened without proofing...but maybe there is an actual logic behind it...if so I'd love to hear what it is.

08-15-16 01:41PM
ChiefIceMinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefIceMinion Click here to Send ChiefIceMinion a Private Message Find more posts by ChiefIceMinion Add ChiefIceMinion to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefIceMinion
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
I agree with you that it's the 6 for one scenario and 8 for the other...but that's my question...why? I'm betting it's a case where cut and paste happened without proofing...but maybe there is an actual logic behind it...if so I'd love to hear what it is.

The US ranking for Nationals was previously calculated using the current season's events (best 6, up to 4 US events) while the WCT ranking is a two year score. If the stipulation was carried over they've either implied it or forgot to change something.

Chief Ice Minion

08-15-16 01:52PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

I dont think it is cut ant paste error, I actually think I understand and agree. I tried to explain it above, but maybe didn't do a good job. Let me try again.

I think that If a Non-Top 25 person wins nationals USA curling would rather the national team did better at events rather than just accumulate points. So imagine two teams with these 8 OOM events points.

A - 40, 30, 10, 7, 6, 5, 1, 1
B - 20, 20, 20, 15, 10, 10, 10, 10

So who would you rather be Team USA? I'll do the math for those that need it

8 Event Totals
A - 100
B - 115

6 Event Totals
A - 98
B - 95

Who would you rather represent USA (assuming that the system is not Win and In like you want). If you went with 8 events you use Team B, If you went with 6 events you use Team A.

I think the 6v8 message is that USA Curling has decided they want to see success at big events (podiums at elite events) even if a bit inconsistent rather than a team that tends to finish between 5 and 8 at evey event.

08-15-16 01:59PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

To be honest, I'd rather see the team that was consistent over the larger number of events, for Worlds at least.

And this is because there are Qualification points at stake, and 3rd is better than 8th. Yes, 1st is even better, but if you told me "You're guaranteed to get 4th at least, but the best you'll get is 3rd" vs "You've got a 20% chance at first, a 20% chance at 2nd-4th, a 20% chance at 5th or 6th, but a 40% chance at 7th or worse", I'd take the 3rd-4th in a heartbeat in a system where points matter.

But, I admit freely, that is a very arguable question, with very legit arguments on both sides.

I think Chief's point may be more to point though...the OOM is a rolling 2 year system, the US's derivation of it is a 1 year system ("All teams start at zero at the start of the season"), so that may be the reason for 6 events rather than 8....6 over a year vs 8 over 2...I can see that.

08-15-16 03:11PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

No mistake in the 6 vs 8 events. People seemed happy with the 6 event system for qualifying for World Championships via points, but wanted to add in a Top X ranking target to be able to avoid one team running away with the competition and giving teams a hard target to shoot for.

The Order of Merit uses best 8 events so instead of re-inventing the process or adding an arbitrary unknown number as that target, the decision was made to go with the OOM process.

Now teams are more likely to be chasing the ranking rather than chasing another USA team (and cheering against them to not earn more points and run away with them).

It's a good hybrid that gives teams a goal to reach for as the top teams continue to push up the rankings overall.