W: Stroud Sleeman Cash Spiel
M: Stroud Sleeman Cash Spiel
M: Coldwater Rocktoberfest U18 Mens Spiel
W: Coldwater Rocktoberfest U18 Womens Spiel
W: Regina Callie Rockoberfest
W: Wetzikon Wheelchair Curling Tournament
W: Wheelchair Curling Baltic League: Stage 2
Default (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Next Olympic Cycle Team Changes

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 8 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-07-18 05:09PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Very nice, thorough article about the future team Walker (aka Laura Crocker). Her third will be from Team Birchard - Nicole Sigvaldson - their out of province player. The front end, based in Calgary, second,
Brittany Tran and lead Heather Rogers will migrate from teams Scotland and Ramsay respectively, we would hope. CrockerWalker will be based in Edmonton. It sounds like a lot of travel and communication, but the article has a very positive tone. I wish them good curling.

Last edited by nelski on 03-07-18 at 05:55PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-07-18 05:22PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

that sounds like a solid team.

03-07-18 05:54PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Laura Crocker has one of the best demeanours in the womens game - very engaging, professional and knowledgable. May have been playing out of position (3rd) where she's not a model 3rd in terms of folks like Miskew or Lawes. Skip might be her natural position - main concern is Nicole Sigvaldson may not be a solid enough 3rd - Birchard was the big strength for her own team, not Nicole.
Best available might be her biggest selling point but not enough to be a Top 5 Canadian team - I'd place them somewhere between 10 and 20.

03-09-18 06:14AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Very nice, thorough article about the future team Walker (aka Laura Crocker). Her third will be from Team Birchard - Nicole Sigvaldson - their out of province player. The front end, based in Calgary, second,
Brittany Tran and lead Heather Rogers will migrate from teams Scotland and Ramsay respectively, we would hope. CrockerWalker will be based in Edmonton. It sounds like a lot of travel and communication, but the article has a very positive tone. I wish them good curling.

Why mention a particular article without including a link to it, or even pointing out where it can be found?
I see you did the same thing in another thread. Very bizarre.

I did find an article on the subject (though I don't know if it's the one you referenced)... it just doesn't make much sense to describe an article without pointing to it in some way.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/la...w-alberta-team/

"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-09-18 at 06:38AM

03-09-18 07:58AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I know he's been with the same team for a long time now and he might be one of the last you would expect to make changes but i have to wonder if mcewen might shake things up. we've already seen a fair number of women's teams no one saw changes coming from happen so we can't rule it out.

same thing for carruthers. as good as they've been on the cash tour they had a disappointing brier a few years ago and this year, should they once again fail to even make playoffs i could see changes coming. perhaps braeden heads back to saskatchewan. maybe reid lures dunstone back to manitoba to curl with him.

matt and john are both recently married on team epping which is part of the reason why i think changes will come from this team. might see one or both want to take a step back and not play as much.

03-09-18 10:12AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

One free agent both McEwen and Carruthers might chase is the poster boy for Curlers without boarders - John Morris.

Morris has a ton of eccentricities (to put it lightly) but he'd sure shake both Manitoba teams out of their apparent lethargy.

McEwen used to be a power curler who was mediocre at nuance - now he's not even a power curler. Carruthers was a nuance-curler who wasn't particularly strong in the power game.

McEwen is easily destroyed by a rock-position master like Gushue - or a power gang like Jacobs.

Reid has a powerful team but he lacks in certain areas.

03-09-18 03:52PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

someone else i'm wondering about is casey. on one hand i'd like to see him stick with one team for more than a season or 2 on the other hand he can't be happy with how this season went and he is an ambitious guy.

Last edited by misty1 on 03-09-18 at 03:57PM

03-09-18 06:33PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
One free agent both McEwen and Carruthers might chase is the poster boy for Curlers without boarders - John Morris.

Morris has a ton of eccentricities (to put it lightly) but he'd sure shake both Manitoba teams out of their apparent lethargy.

McEwen used to be a power curler who was mediocre at nuance - now he's not even a power curler. Carruthers was a nuance-curler who wasn't particularly strong in the power game.

McEwen is easily destroyed by a rock-position master like Gushue - or a power gang like Jacobs.

Reid has a powerful team but he lacks in certain areas.

McEwen the power curler - you do realize that at this event he still has the effects of chicken pox and has infection and liver problems as he is playing. That may be making him tired, and maybe not the player we know he can be.

03-09-18 10:36PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

McEwen was well enough to put up a 97% vs. Meek Reid tonite in a do or die game for Mikey.
Guess his liver recovered - - -

Might have to switch my opinion that Team McEwen will disband shortly after this thing ends - no matter how valiant the effort, Mikey screwed up something fierce earlier - and now Bradley Jacobs is screwing up vs. Bottcher as the young Alberta bucks are showing Jacobs what a Calgary Stampede really looks (and feels) like.

Should be Goo vs. Epping in the 1-2 game

Bottcher vs. Jacobs in the 3-4

Re-dos of tonite's draw! Will anyone learn?

Matt Dunstone has quietly slipped into the back-story of this year's event - the big story is John Epping doing so well in his Brier debut - Bottcher is a notcher below in terms of great stories.

Still think Gushue wins the deal. Too strong - and his rock positioning gives everyone fits - not just mopes like McEwen & Carruthers.

Team Carruthers will disband! No question now! 5-6 in a field of mostly mopes - UNBELIEVABLE!

03-12-18 08:35AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Let the announcements begin

03-12-18 10:55AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Who is coming in for Mark Kennedy?

Lots of speculation that Team Koe will go their separate ways. That itself would be interesting as each member could add something special to a number of ultra-competitive teams. However, assuming they remain together who are the primary candidates to replace Mark Kennedy at 3rd?

1. The Obvious - John Morris

2. The Longshot - Ryan Fry; if he's tired of Jacobs Gang

3. The Unexpected - Wayne Middaugh, in the comeback of his life. If Wayne gets thru rehab with a clean bill - what talent and experience he could add.

My money is on Morris - only problem is he'd be taking over the team 3 shots in.

03-12-18 11:56AM
c_anabranch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for c_anabranch Find more posts by c_anabranch Add c_anabranch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c_anabranch
Knee-Slider

Things might have changed since the end of the Olympics but John Morris stated that he is going to focus on mixed doubles going forward as he wants to lessen his time commitment to focus on work and family.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spo...rticle37974516/

03-13-18 09:14AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Alina Paetz and her team are splitting up.

03-13-18 09:56AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Alina Paetz and her team are splitting up.

Stunning News!

Ladyhawke looked virtually unbeatable when she was knocking Jennifer Jones from pillar to post just a few short years back.

However, looking back - it was more Jones beating herself than Paetz handling Jones. Jones was out of sorts - and whilst so made Ladyhawke look like the next coming of Sandra Schmirler.

Wonder if Alina has her sights set on anyone from Team Silvana or the other Top 5 Swiss teams!

03-13-18 12:28PM
c_anabranch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for c_anabranch Find more posts by c_anabranch Add c_anabranch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c_anabranch
Knee-Slider

And the first big men's team breakup is announced as Mike McEwen's team is splitting.
https://www.facebook.com/McEwenCurl...167466569947552

03-13-18 12:41PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by c_anabranch
And the first big men's team breakup is announced as Mike McEwen's team is splitting.

Now as I told ML a few days ago wait for the announcement that Carruthers and McEwen will join up. Told by someone in the know - hope it is true.

03-13-18 01:08PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

Now as I told ML a few days ago wait for the announcement that Carruthers and McEwen will join up. Told by someone in the know - hope it is true.

Who skips? Who are the other 2?

03-13-18 01:11PM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

don't know - all I was told was McEwen and Carruthers will be teaming up, by someone I think is very reliable.

03-13-18 01:32PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
don't know - all I was told was McEwen and Carruthers will be teaming up, by someone I think is very reliable.

Maybe Brett Laing "relocates" to Winnipeg and Hebert is the import.

03-13-18 01:33PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by c_anabranch

not entirely unexpected. so many women's teams that you didn't see coming have broken up. it's shocking in a way but also not.

03-13-18 01:34PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

would be an interesting combination. could be a powerhouse team.

if braeden stays in manitoba i wonder if he curls with them.

if reid and mike are joining up i could see braeden going back to saskatchewan and skipping a team there

maybe each brings a team member with them. mike brings matt and reid brings colin?

03-13-18 01:48PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

I hope your reliable news is not true. Mike and Reid don’t seem like a good pairing. Dunstone and Mike, now that would be interesting.

03-13-18 03:14PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by guido
I hope your reliable news is not true. Mike and Reid don’t seem like a good pairing. Dunstone and Mike, now that would be interesting.

One of the very few times I have to agree with Gumshoe Guido - - - - not only that Mike & Reid would be an AWFUL PAIRING!

Reid is a nuance curler - a bantam sized version of the master, Brad Gushue. He knows the nuances of skipping, having learned from the best - but his execution and personal shot-making are nowhere near the level of Goo, Koe, Jacobs, even Bottcher, Dunstone & McEwen.

McEwen is a power curler who can't exist in a Bobby Fisher infused chess-meets-curling environment. Doesn't have the patience - even if he's a great shot-smith (when he's 100% healthy)

03-13-18 04:35PM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido

Well they are very good friends, but of course, curling together could be different than just a friendship.

My source curled in the provincials and even went and saw Mike while he was in the hospital.

03-13-18 06:57PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

The mystery gets closer to being solved Braeden Moskowy is leaving Reid & taking the rest of the season off...