Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Mixed doubles becomes Olympic in 2018

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
06-10-15 04:36PM
Tour Guide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tour Guide Click here to Send Tour Guide a Private Message Find more posts by Tour Guide Add Tour Guide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tour Guide
Harvey Hacksmasher

It's great for curling to have another event at the Olympics, but mixed doubles doesn't seem like real curling to me as it doesn't incorporate sweeping properly. It just looks silly to have someone deliver a rock and then scamper down the ice to sweep it. It takes away the effectiveness of sweeping when someone can't sweep it right as it's been delivered.

Mixed doubles is also a problem for someone, like myself, who uses a "crutch" to deliver a rock. Would I then be allowed to keep a separate broom on the ice, just over the hog line, that I could pick up to go sweep the rock? Now, that would look really silly!

From a purist standpoint, I'd rather see real mixed curling in the Olympics rather than mixed doubles.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-10-15 07:41PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

It's my understanding that one requirement for any sport to be on the Olympic programme is that there must be a world championship for it. Full team mixed JUST got that, so I think if we give it some time you'll eventually see it appear at the Olympics, perhaps even replacing mixed doubles by that time.

Not sure what is meant when people say that it "takes away" from the real game. What is it taking away? It's merely another format and, while certainly a different animal from the regular format, it will no doubt draw audiences just like the regular format.

06-10-15 07:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

again, the big thing for me is that its only 7 years old. it hasnt been around long enough to be established in the sporting/curling world.Think of how long curling had to wait to get in officially

i just dont see how inserting something into the olympics this early in its development is a good thing

people think it will bring more viewing to curling but this is nothing like regular curling and someone who watches this would not get a good idea of what goes on in curling and vice versa. therefor its very hard to say that because someone has an interest in curling it will lead to an interest in this discipline. thats not true. also..the only way this will work to get mixed doubles more popular is if people like what they see at the olympics.

Last edited by misty1 on 06-10-15 at 08:33PM

06-11-15 08:08AM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

Seriously. We are debating this? How can you all not see this is great for the game? It is giving exposure to the game in the much smaller countries (ie. Hungary who won Mixed Doubles this year). It will not take away from the team events. Not a chance. Because it's different and it's supposed to be. That is what the Olympics are about: different sports and a variety of disciplines within those sports.

Anyway, the naysayers will say nay, but if you don't like it, just don't friggen watch it. End. Of. Story.

You know what seems like a silly sport to me? The 100m sprint. 9-12 seconds and that's it. Done. Impressive athleticism, yes, but it's all done and over with so quickly. Doesn't seem Olympic to me. Fighting and battling, come backs, nailbiting for hours, etc etc. But alas, it is the marquee event of the Summer Olympics.

If everyone thought like the naysayers do about mixed doubles, our beloved "normal" game wouldn't be in the Olympics and never would have been. Let's not forget, not too long ago, curling was considered a lazy past time for beer drinkers that people scoffed at and laughed at, if they even knew what you were talking about. For it to be brought into the 1998 Olympics was a major accomplishment, one that I'm sure received a ton of criticism and naysaying like you all are now.

06-11-15 09:31AM
SargentIV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SargentIV Click here to Send SargentIV a Private Message Find more posts by SargentIV Add SargentIV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by SPMFromPCC
It's my understanding that one requirement for any sport to be on the Olympic programme is that there must be a world championship for it. Full team mixed JUST got that, so I think if we give it some time you'll eventually see it appear at the Olympics, perhaps even replacing mixed doubles by that time.

Not sure what is meant when people say that it "takes away" from the real game. What is it taking away? It's merely another format and, while certainly a different animal from the regular format, it will no doubt draw audiences just like the regular format.

That is accurate. The IOC requires there to be at least two world championships held in a given event before it is added to the program.

I do believe that where critics have a good point is that Mixed Doubles is such a new format of the game. A previous poster mentioned that he didn't like watching Doubles in Tennis, but Doubles goes back before the 1896 Olympics.

Still no word from anyone regarding the quota for the WCF in 2018.

06-19-15 02:27AM
Kiwi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kiwi Click here to Send Kiwi a Private Message Find more posts by Kiwi Add Kiwi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kiwi
Harvey Hacksmasher

Pleased to report that MD are *additional* athletes.. no impact on the existing field size for Mens and Womens.

06-19-15 05:13AM
curlo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlo Click here to Send curlo a Private Message Find more posts by curlo Add curlo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlo
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi
Pleased to report that MD are *additional* athletes.. no impact on the existing field size for Mens and Womens.

DO you have a source and do you know how many teams?

06-19-15 09:28AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

They certainly won't get alternate players, as mixed doubles does not allow substitutions.

I could see a coach, but trainers would likely be from the existing national delegations.

06-19-15 09:49AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

My understanding is that the contingency is "Suck it up or forfeit"...similarly to how an individual FIgure skating pair must behave in similar cases.

At least once the competition has begun. Before the competition, NOC's are generally allowed to nominate athletes to replace those injured in pre-event practice where feasible. the replacements are either replacement athletes from the same nation (in events where national teams enter, which I am *assuming* mixed doubles will be) or the next highest ranked athlete in the event (in events where qualification is individual, not nationally based).

Last edited by AlanMacNeill on 06-19-15 at 10:12AM

06-20-15 01:54PM
prairiedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairiedog Find more posts by prairiedog Add prairiedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairiedog
Knee-Slider

Hopefully there are plans in place to immediately activate this new medal opportunity for Canada.
We have some catching up to do here and there is not a lot of time during this Olympic cycle to get it right.

Another gold medal in Korea woudl be a lot of fun to see.