Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 10 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-20-17 11:58PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!! USA pulls it out against 0-5 Denmark with the last shot. These ladies were playing like they wanted to give away the game.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-21-17 03:14AM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Three

In Canada TSN has the rights and is on all the channels all day. You can watch four different games on four different TSN channels. Only particularly popular with the male 15 to 29 crowd, hockey still crushes it.

http://www.sportscastermagazine.ca/...tsn/1003406965/

I happen to be a 45 year old Canadian that grew up on the ACC, Big East, Big Ten and March Madness. Most people I grew up with watch the tournament. True Canadian sports fans watch most sports and are as well rounded as any North Eastern or Mid-Western American fan who grew up with hockey. I'm an outlier in that hockey is actually 6th or 7th on my list of sports (but there are others like me).

The average non-sports-fan Canadian watches hockey and is unaware other sports exist. Whereas the average non-sports-fan American watches football, and possibly Big Bang Theory and NCIS.

03-21-17 04:27AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Top 5 teams no doubt are Canada, Switzerland, Scotland, Sweden and Russia in that order, which team will miss the playoffs, we shall see.

03-21-17 07:28AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

This event is fast becoming about Canada and Sweden and then there is everyone else

And yeah, that loss for Denmark against the united States was shameful

03-21-17 07:42AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

yep I am setting the alarm for 2 A.M. tonight

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
This event is fast becoming about Canada and Sweden and then there is everyone else

this should be a game not to be missed , perhaps Homan's toughest yet , we shall wait and see, Scotland playing China and Muirhead has to win and not fall to 4 loses did anyone notice in the Korea Vs Canada game that for a brief moment TSN commentators were NOT TO BE HEARD and some lady with a Scottish accent was doing the play by play ...

03-21-17 07:51AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Won't be this week - but I wonder when Eve makes the move to install Lauren Gray as her full-time 3rd?

The Happy Gang (Vic, Russ, Cheryl) sure putting a stomp on Vicki & Anna - done in a nice way but really criminalizing those two Scottish ladies!

vicki not at her best this week but i maintain she's one of the best seconds in the game today. one bad week doesnt make that untrue

03-21-17 07:53AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

For 1st place, for sure!

But remember, someone amongst Russia, SUI, Scotland is gonna make it to the semi-final. One game battle - could go any way!

But right now Sweden has full control of their game - after suffering an early loss. I still think Anna Hasselborg needs to find that killer instinct that champions like Homan, Jones, Norberg & Coco possessed. Even Ladyhawke Paetz!

the way this is going south korea, czech republic and even the US could throw their names in.

but im calling it now. scotland is missing playoffs

wouldnt be surprised if we saw a major shakeup with this team at the end of the year. perhaps eve can convince hannah flemming to link up with her.

03-21-17 08:00AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

for me by far the biggest shocker of this event has been china. some called it a slow start v.s canada but their level here has just been bad all week and not getting any better. im just shocked. they've had a good year on tour. still not ruling out the possiblity that they can get it together and make a run to the end but the signs arent good

03-21-17 08:17AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

goodbye scotland

03-21-17 08:17AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

yep I am setting the alarm for 2 A.M. tonight

quote:

this should be a game not to be missed , perhaps Homan's toughest yet , we shall wait and see, Scotland playing China and Muirhead has to win and not fall to 4 loses did anyone notice in the Korea Vs Canada game that for a brief moment TSN commentators were NOT TO BE HEARD and some lady with a Scottish accent was doing the play by play ...

03-21-17 09:02AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: Comparing Officer to Courtney

quote:
Sometimes I think Jill is a mute compared to Courtney.

Joanne basically can't stop talking during games - almost over-communicative if you will!

But right now - Jo Courtney is the best 2nd in the world! NO QUESTION!

PS. I joke about Courtney's constant patter - but it help keeps her team sharp and focussed - and she backs it up with shots, to boot!
Officer & Dawn basically only communicated when Jones asked "What do you guys like?" but learned quickly that the only correct response was "We Like what you like, Jen!"

Haha the Republic of JJ! At least Rachel makes her mind up and throws.

03-21-17 09:08AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

wheels coming off for switzerland. im abandoning my picks. the only thing that i can say for sure is canada and sweden will be there in the end. i have no idea who in the hell the other 2 teams will be now.

03-21-17 09:24AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

Now that we are more then halfway through the competition you can start looking at the statistics on the world Curling website and make some conclusions. Forget about current wins and losses for a second. Looking at shooting percentages for individuals and teams, scoring ends, blanks for and against, steals the best teams do bubble to the top.

I would say Canada, Sweden, Russia, and Switzerland (barely) would make the playoffs.

Looking at actual wins and losses of course Canada and Sweden are separating themselves from the rest. The statistics bare this out as well.

Both of Canada's shakey games were 9am draws on sheet C. I wonder if sheet C or B will be used for the playoffs.?

03-21-17 09:39AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
for me by far the biggest shocker of this event has been china. some called it a slow start v.s canada but their level here has just been bad all week and not getting any better. im just shocked. they've had a good year on tour. still not ruling out the possiblity that they can get it together and make a run to the end but the signs arent good

China hasn't been particularly good in quite a few years. The 2009 title was their peak, and they've been a downward trend since then. I'm not really sure what happened to their program - maybe someone else knows.

03-21-17 10:07AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

RE : EVE MUIRHEAD

Ever since Muirhead graduated from the Juniors, which she

dominated for many years, and began to compete in the Euros,

the Worlds and the Olympics, commentators have never failed

to point out she was a teenage scratch handicap golfer who

had received numerous huge golf scholarship offers from

major universities in the U.S.A. They never indicated the

value of these offers but something in the $350,000 -$400,000

range would not be unusual. Additionally, this normally

provides a stepping stone to qualify for the LPGA which

has, of course, unlimited potential.

Take Canada's own Brooke Henderson for example. After

slightly more than 1 year on the tour, this 19 year old has

tournament winnings alone approaching $2,000,000.

Why Muirhead decided not to pursue a golf career, or even

give it a shot for a short period of time, has never been

explained. But now, of course, it's too late. The offers

have long stopped coming. At 26 years of age she's still

young by curling standards but probably too old to suddenly

consider how to qualify for the LPGA.

As a curler and an avid golfer ( I have a 9 handicap ) I'd

much prefer to see her compete in say the RICOH Women's

British Open next August instead of skipping in some curling

event.

But that's just not going to happen. Too bad.

03-21-17 11:18AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
RE : EVE MUIRHEAD

Ever since Muirhead graduated from the Juniors, which she

dominated for many years, and began to compete in the Euros,

the Worlds and the Olympics, commentators have never failed

to point out she was a teenage scratch handicap golfer who

had received numerous huge golf scholarship offers from

major universities in the U.S.A. They never indicated the

value of these offers but something in the $350,000 -$400,000

range would not be unusual. Additionally, this normally

provides a stepping stone to qualify for the LPGA which

has, of course, unlimited potential.

Take Canada's own Brooke Henderson for example. After

slightly more than 1 year on the tour, this 19 year old has

tournament winnings alone approaching $2,000,000.

Why Muirhead decided not to pursue a golf career, or even

give it a shot for a short period of time, has never been

explained. But now, of course, it's too late. The offers

have long stopped coming. At 26 years of age she's still

young by curling standards but probably too old to suddenly

consider how to qualify for the LPGA.

As a curler and an avid golfer ( I have a 9 handicap ) I'd

much prefer to see her compete in say the RICOH Women's

British Open next August instead of skipping in some curling

event.

But that's just not going to happen. Too bad.

To say that she turned down a golf scholarship to a major USA golf factory is true but everything after that is conjecture. Not every member of Stanford or Florida's golf teams go on to great success as a pro. Some struggle and some never make big (or at all) although some do graduate and do very very well. It is a bit of a crap shoot. Check the link to a news article below, she explains it very well. Sounds like she chose curling over golf for all the right reasons. Looking at her decision with seven years of hindsight I'd say she choose correctly. Also, even though she can't make millions as a curler I don't stay up at night worrying if she can pay her electricity bill or not, lol.

As for Brooke Henderson, that is apples and oranges. Brooke was destined to be a fantastic pro by the age of 15. Eve never had that kind of can't miss talent. She might have gotten there over time but the comparison is unfair to Eve for sure.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...kip-eve-1061698

03-21-17 11:32AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: LPGA EVE MUIRHEAD

quote:
Stuff happens!

Our most promising junior skip, Mary Fay - walked away from a most promising curling career to go into medicine, training to be a doctor!

Ali Kreviazuk left one of the most dominant curling outfits on the planet - for love!

Stuff happens!

Would I love for Mary Fay to be representing a maritime province and strengthening a currently morbid curling program? Sure, but Ms. Fay had to do what was best for Ms. Fay - she had the intelligence and concentration to be a physician. So be it!

Even my top girl - Jennifer Jones took a temporary leave from hard-core competitive curling to obtain her law degree - and articling for a year or more. When she returned - she didn't win her first STOH until she was on the north side of 30. We sometimes look at Homan vs. Jones - where Homan has 3 Canadian titles and she's not yet 28. . . . but Rachel did not have the rigors of legal studies - she's been a full time or near full-time professional curler since she was 16.

IMO JJ & Mary Fay made the right decisions. Mary Fay only has to look at JJ - flexible yet lucrative career and an Olympic gold medal. And a few titles to go along with it. We may not see Mary Fay either until she is 30 given the rigours of a medical career. However, there are many options with the path she is following. I have a relative who started down that path but is now making six figures in the biotech industry with flexible hours.

Best to have a solid career if you wish to purse elite level curling. Where will Eve be in 10 years?

03-21-17 03:30PM
BumperUp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BumperUp Find more posts by BumperUp Add BumperUp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BumperUp
Harvey Hacksmasher

Missing Japan

Unsurprisingly, European teams are bringing rear. It's disappointing that the 2016 silver medalist Japanese team isn't at this event to stir things up. They were a delight to watch last year. I am unclear as to why we still limit Asia Pacific to 2 berths.

At some point, the WCF needs to consider the strength of the Asian teams. The depth of field in Europe does not justify the number of berths coming out of that region in the women's field.

Last place at the women's world championship has been held by at least one European team every year since 2000 except one, where it was held by an Asian team. Two times there was an Asian team tied with a European team for last. It's a shame to see strong teams sitting on the bench because the WCF is unwilling to change the way we have always done it.

03-21-17 04:18PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: LPGA EVE MUIRHEAD

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

IMO JJ & Mary Fay made the right decisions. Mary Fay only has to look at JJ - flexible yet lucrative career and an Olympic gold medal. And a few titles to go along with it. We may not see Mary Fay either until she is 30 given the rigours of a medical career. However, there are many options with the path she is following. I have a relative who started down that path but is now making six figures in the biotech industry with flexible hours.

Best to have a solid career if you wish to purse elite level curling. Where will Eve be in 10 years?

Playing the bagpipes as they introduce the teams at the 2027 world women's championship in Edinburgh Scotland,

03-21-17 04:27PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Missing Japan

quote:
Originally posted by BumperUp
Unsurprisingly, European teams are bringing rear. It's disappointing that the 2016 silver medalist Japanese team isn't at this event to stir things up. They were a delight to watch last year. I am unclear as to why we still limit Asia Pacific to 2 berths.

At some point, the WCF needs to consider the strength of the Asian teams. The depth of field in Europe does not justify the number of berths coming out of that region in the women's field.

Last place at the women's world championship has been held by at least one European team every year since 2000 except one, where it was held by an Asian team. Two times there was an Asian team tied with a European team for last. It's a shame to see strong teams sitting on the bench because the WCF is unwilling to change the way we have always done it.

denmark may be bringing up the rear but china is 2-5 with italy and south korea is 3-4, they arent exactly lighting it up.

i had a long argument against this but i erased it to just say this:

europe is never, ever going to agree to give up a slot, its not gonna happen. so just get used to this

i would propose that you could expand the field from 12-14 teams. give asia a third spot and either give a 9th to europe or a 3rd to the americas, which would likely be brazil.

then you could move from the current round robin format to what the brier and scotties are doing and split the field into 2 groups of 7. the top 4 teams from each group move on to a championship pool.

this way europe stays happy and asia gets the 3rd team everyone thinks they should have.

03-21-17 04:30PM
BumperUp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BumperUp Find more posts by BumperUp Add BumperUp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BumperUp
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Missing Japan

quote:

denmark may be bringing up the rear but china is 2-5 with italy and south korea is 3-4, they arent exactly lighting it up.

i had a long argument against this but i erased it to just say this:

Agreed, Asia definitely isn't crushing the field, but again, the numbers over the past 16 years aren't in Europe's favor. I know it's unlikely to happen, but I would be interested in hearing the argument you deleted.

03-21-17 05:03PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Missing Japan

quote:
Originally posted by BumperUp

Agreed, Asia definitely isn't crushing the field, but again, the numbers over the past 16 years aren't in Europe's favor. I know it's unlikely to happen, but I would be interested in hearing the argument you deleted.

i just wanted to point out that most of asia's success has only come from one country. asian teams over the last decade have won 4 medals. all of them have come from the women. and in that 3 of the 4 have been won by china. not multiple chinese teams either, just one. bingyu wang. chinese teams have done nothing since bingyu had stepped away, they havent even made the playoffs once. now, japan made the final last year and south korea threw away a bronze in 2012. however aside from that the majority of asia's success has come from one chinese team

analyzing it more all of asia's success has all come from the women. morozumi has had 2 good appearances but he's still yet to win a medal. china has had 1 appearance in the playoffs since they came onto the scene in 2008 and most of the time they are a middle of the road team at best. there's not much support to the idea that the asian men should get a 3rd spot because they havent done much of anything. and again most of their notable results come from one country and one team, in this case morozumi.

you cant award the asian women a 3rd spot and not give it to the men but do the men really deserve that 3rd spot?. i really dont think so

this argument that asia deserves a 3rd spot wont gain any traction until the mens teams can start doing better than they do. and south korea needs to show they they can have a decent result..they've yet to do that. i think what also needs to happen is the other asian womens teams need to actually win medals. again, japan is the 1 other team to win a medal for asia. south korea never has

so yes, most of europe's success has come from 5 countries (sweden, switzerland, scotland, russia and denmark) but almost all of asia's comes from just the 1 team and one gender

id be curious to know what you think of my proposal to do what the brier and scotties are doing and expanding to 14 and playing in groups

Last edited by misty1 on 03-21-17 at 05:15PM

03-21-17 05:41PM
BumperUp
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: Re: Missing Japan

quote:

id be curious to know what you think of my proposal to do what the brier and scotties are doing and expanding to 14 and playing in groups

You make some good points, and I do like your proposal. I don't really see the Americas needing another berth at this point because the Brazilians aren't quite knocking at the door just yet and, as I understand it, don't even have ice in their country (I thought their teams were based out of Canada and US). I would probably start at 1 extra berth to Asia and continue with the straight RR rather than require pools.

I have been a bit disappointed by Team Kim on the women's side. They have looked strong the past couple years and I thought they would have fared better. They do seem to be a streaky but EunJung Kim is on, she makes everything.

As for the men, I think things are definitely changing. Not sure if you caught any of the Asia-Pacific Championships men's games, but the 1-4 semi (Japan/S. Korea) was incredible, and Japan just barely edged out S. Korea. If Team Kim (men) brought a even half of the intensity from that game, they would be a force at worlds.

03-21-17 06:18PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Missing Japan

quote:

The Brier & Scotties play over a lengthy near 10 day run - but before well over 100,000 people, sometimes as many as 200,000 combined. All draws are televised and there's usually a buzz in the crowd. Subjecting competitors, fans and broadcasters to 9 or 10 days of this - where some teams are barely curling over 50% is plum out irresponsible.

Gee ML, get your stats right. Attendance at this years scotties
around 56000. The scotties have not drawn anywhere near 100000
for at least 10 years, Likely the London event,

03-21-17 10:47PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Missing Japan

quote:

My mistake. Didn't make it clear I was talking about Scotties & Brier combined attendance. Don't think there's ever been a Scotties that drew 100,000+, perhaps Regina or Saskatoon.

Record for Brier attendance is well over 200,000. No?

( aft
Regina after SS olympic win 158 k
Red deer 2004 112K
London 2005 105 k

Believe Brier is 280 K - Edmonton