M: Dumfries Challenger Series
M: GNCC Mens Club Playdowns
W: Wisconsin Womens Club Playdowns
M: Dakota Challenger Spiel
W: Dakota Challenger Spiel
M: King Spud Classic
W: GNCC Womens Club Playdowns
Eastern Time (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > The Brier 2017 -

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 18 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-04-17 08:08AM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

What time is the first draw. One area on the site says 1:30 ET and another 3:30 NT. The time difference is 1:30, I believe.

Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-04-17 08:16AM
Clappy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clappy Click here to Send Clappy a Private Message Find more posts by Clappy Add Clappy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

I believe it's 1:30 ET 3:00 NT

03-04-17 09:45AM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Clappy
I believe it's 1:30 ET 3:00 NT

Thanks, I just saw another thread and the game times ET are 8:30, 1:30 and 6:30.

03-04-17 01:54PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

one obvious advantage of the pre-qualifying games is the icemaker can tune up the ice ..

not sure why anyone objects to pre -qualifier games - gives some teams an experience and is likely good for encoraging new curlers to try the game ..

not sure i agree with a points leader adding another slam participant next year thou - about 7 top ten now, creates a 2 tier round robin - probably 99% chance the playoff teams are slammers

those darn ads on the ice.

botcher trips on a rock that blended into the tim's cup

Last edited by fresca on 03-04-17 at 02:15PM

03-04-17 02:41PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

So far Curling Canada has not defined how the 16 th team is going to be selected. They should let the Travellers Club winners go. They will probably be better than Nunavut and it would be a great story. What better way to promote club curling?

03-04-17 03:15PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Three
So far Curling Canada has not defined how the 16 th team is going to be selected. They should let the Travellers Club winners go. They will probably be better than Nunavut and it would be a great story. What better way to promote club curling?

In a vacuum, it might feel like a good idea, but doing this will destroy that competition. You will see teams choosing between the paths and it will push out the true club teams that are playing this event, especially in provinces that are difficult to get to the Brier/Scotties otherwise.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-04-17 03:19PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Netz
What time is the first draw. One area on the site says 1:30 ET and another 3:30 NT. The time difference is 1:30, I believe.

Thanks

For whatever reason (we haven't figured it out), the timezone script doesn't like the half-hour Newfoundland time difference. It's a little bug in the time but as someone else pointed out here, it's 8:30AM, 1:30PM and 6:30PM EASTERN TIME pretty much every day.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-04-17 03:49PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

nice clutch draw to the pot for 2 by brendan - didnt even need a brush

03-04-17 04:03PM
Clappy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clappy Click here to Send Clappy a Private Message Find more posts by Clappy Add Clappy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Bottcher is pulling off some nice shots...but Gushue is perfect so far.

03-04-17 04:29PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

methinks bb left the raise combo too long ..

funny that walker backed into non noncasual kevin martin walking out to the timeout ... lol

03-04-17 06:33PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

eastern

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

For whatever reason (we haven't figured it out), the timezone script doesn't like the half-hour Newfoundland time difference. It's a little bug in the time but as someone else pointed out here, it's 8:30AM, 1:30PM and 6:30PM pretty much every day.

those are eastern times. The TV schedule is on TSN, see more, then curling on /tsn. It is in Eastern Time.

03-04-17 07:12PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: eastern

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

those are eastern times. The TV schedule is on TSN, see more, then curling on /tsn. It is in Eastern Time.

Yes, I have added that now too.

03-04-17 07:17PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Click here to Send maybo a Private Message Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

I get and can accept the ads on the ice but those giant coffee cups are very distracting.

03-04-17 08:40PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

stands half empty on Saturday night - arena sold out = Hog Line Bar Fuuulll

jets winning 5-0

03-05-17 02:02AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Hitting Paint

Not one post after evening draw? Nothing startling today except Howard loss. A game they needed to win. Also BC not at their best.

03-05-17 08:33AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Menard always plays a good game .. Koe plays to win by one , but the team curls 90%

Howard played well but the curling gods deemed that he would lose by 1/2 an inch ...

seems like every slam and national event has rock and ice issues - thou i didnt notice any pics yesterday - knock on wood !!

my scoring perdictions were prety accurate , except that some of the numbers were next to the wrong teams ...

mcewen 8. v. gushue 5
cotter 5. v. howard. 7
koe 6. v. jacobs 5. ee
botcher 5. v. casey 6

always fun to spread a rumor. .... casey plays for laycock next year .. if it gets denied we have one less name to guess

Last edited by fresca on 03-05-17 at 08:53AM

03-05-17 11:24AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

ice is breaking down

bam bam draw pics in his hand
bj grinds to a halt and has to push
brendan draw looks good til it bends like beckam - game over

03-05-17 02:05PM
trellaine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trellaine Click here to Send trellaine a Private Message Find more posts by trellaine Add trellaine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trellaine
Knee-Slider

Any other site online to watch the brier? I'm not interested in this matchup Saskatchewan and N Ontario. Bottom feeders by weeks end.

Better games on right now.

Thank u

03-05-17 03:20PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Man, I have watched boring curling games. But the Sask-NWT game is taking it to a new level. No disrespect to either team, but this is like watching paint dry. Hopefully it gets more interesting in the final 4 ends.

03-05-17 04:01PM
Curl401 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curl401 Find more posts by Curl401 Add Curl401 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curl401
Swing Artist

Nunavut Team

What is the Nunavut Brier plan?

This year they pick a 61-year-old Club curler from Nova Scotia to skip. Jim Nix has never been to a Brier, a Seniors or even a Mixed National. He has not curled a competitive game for 10 years and when he did it was lead on a Senior Team,
I am struggling with how this a Feel Good story.

The team was embarrassed against the weakest teams at the Brier losing Double Digits each game and only making it 8 ends because 8 ends were mandatory.

So in all respect to the Program....What is the plan?

May as well as send the Nunavut Junior team next year and rebuild from the Ground up.

Enough with awarding Over the Hill Club curlers with Purple Hearts and Brier Appearances.
For those that have earned the right to play in the Brier the optics are far from ideal.

03-05-17 05:52PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

hope we see koe 8. v. howard 6 tonight

the brier patch is serving screetch tonight so expect lots of empty seats again !!

03-05-17 06:17PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: Nunavut Team

quote:
Originally posted by Curl401

This year they pick a 61-year-old Club curler from Nova Scotia to skip. Jim Nix has never been to a Brier, a Seniors or even a Mixed National. He has not curled a competitive game for 10 years and when he did it was lead on a Senior Team,

The team was embarrassed against the weakest teams at the Brier losing Double Digits each game and only making it 8 ends because 8 ends were mandatory.

May as well as send the Nunavut Junior team next year and rebuild from the Ground up.

Enough with awarding Over the Hill Club curlers with Purple Hearts and Brier Appearances.
For those that have earned the right to play in the Brier the optics are far from ideal.

Well I agree, sending junior teams is a better idea, give them some experience.

03-05-17 11:02PM
Stumpy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stumpy Click here to Send Stumpy a Private Message Find more posts by Stumpy Add Stumpy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stumpy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by guido
2 from territories
2 from the maritimes/nfld
1 from all other provs.
Team Canada
Top ytd points.

I agree with this. I got ripped last time I said this, but if we're talking about not allowing all territories to be represented (which I agree with) it's time to stop all provinces from being represented. Something needs to be done in the Maritimes/NL to improve the quality of elite level curling as well. Outside of Gushue and the 1 miracle run of Kathy O'Rourke in 2010 there hasn't been any eastern province in contention since Dacey won in 2004. Some people will hate me for saying this, but PEI did not deserve a spot in this year's field, just like Yukon and Nunavut didn't either. In the Scotties none of the 3 territory teams even had a playdown. I fully support the pre-qualifier idea, although there are better ways to run it.

I would support:
1 territories
2 Maritimes/NL
7 QC-ON-NO-MB-SK-AB-BC
1 Team Canada

11 team tournament. Whether the territories/Maritimes play in a pre-qualifier or whatever is a minor debate in my mind. Give them the purple heart if they won their province, but until those provinces work on improving their curling programs they should be guaranteed nothing.

03-06-17 01:41AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Stumpy

I agree with this. I got ripped last time I said this, but if we're talking about not allowing all territories to be represented (which I agree with) it's time to stop all provinces from being represented. Something needs to be done in the Maritimes/NL to improve the quality of elite level curling as well. Outside of Gushue and the 1 miracle run of Kathy O'Rourke in 2010 there hasn't been any eastern province in contention since Dacey won in 2004. Some people will hate me for saying this, but PEI did not deserve a spot in this year's field, just like Yukon and Nunavut didn't either. In the Scotties none of the 3 territory teams even had a playdown. I fully support the pre-qualifier idea, although there are better ways to run it.

I would support:
1 territories
2 Maritimes/NL
7 QC-ON-NO-MB-SK-AB-BC
1 Team Canada

11 team tournament. Whether the territories/Maritimes play in a pre-qualifier or whatever is a minor debate in my mind. Give them the purple heart if they won their province, but until those provinces work on improving their curling programs they should be guaranteed nothing.

Colleen Jones did ok out of the Maritimes, too, as I recall...

You want to remove the automatic entry of some territories and provinces... but continue allowing two entries from the one province of Ontario.
This makes no sense to me.

You'll likely argue that Northern Ontario produces quality teams - which is true most of the time. But, following that very same approach, two teams from Manitoba, and two teams from Alberta should also be permitted.

How about we just save everyone a bunch of trouble and we'll just allow 4 teams from Ontario, 4 teams from Manitoba, and 4 teams from Alberta - and no-one else from any other province or territory.

But, hey - the Brier/Scotties are supposed to be national championships, traditionally pitting different provinces (and territories) against each other.
So why not simply even it out across the board - each province and each territory gets ONE entry. Plus the defending champion, 'Team Canada'.

Already, Curling Canada has yielded far too much to pressure from some who want to have their cake and eat it, too... so they've bent the rules to please certain people. Things are being manipulated too much by allowing 'imports' from other provinces. This compromises the integrity of a National Championship. Come on - it is plain silly to have a person who resides and has lived most of his/her life in one province suddenly able to represent another province (which he/she may never have even set foot in).

The Brier/Scotties should be a true national championship, meaning that each province and territory is represented, and each player from each team must live (truly live) in the province they represent.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-06-17 08:53AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Nunavut Team

quote:
Originally posted by Curl401

Well written.