Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Create Your Design
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (18): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fresca
Super Rockchucker

The Brier 2017 -

the best curling event in the world starts Saturday

the Heavy Hitters on TSN at 1:30 eastern

Cotter 4 v Jacobs 7
Mcewan 6 v Casey 7
Gushue 5 v Botcher 6

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-01-17 09:32PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

What do the numbers after their name mean?

Old Post 03-01-17 09:58PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

90% chance not the final score

Old Post 03-01-17 10:11PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
90% chance not the final score

LOL, right on.

Old Post 03-01-17 10:56PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

We've got a volunteer who will be providing coverage of the pre-qualifiers:

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/1876

Target is to show NS v YK for the first draw at 6:30NL, 5pm ET, 2pm PT, but that may change depending on seating arrangements inside the arena.

Old Post 03-02-17 09:33AM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

Screech In

If your coming from away there are two screech ins taking place

Last edited by darkwing01 on 03-02-17 at 12:14PM

Old Post 03-02-17 10:27AM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLogic
Harvey Hacksmasher

In the US, I thought espn3 was to have coverage, but I don't see any games in the Upcoming listings for curling. I watch the Scotties last week and thought the Brier was to be broadcasted. Can anyone confirm, with a page link please, that espn3 has Brier games this year? Thanks!

Old Post 03-02-17 02:48PM
CURLogic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLogic Click here to Send CURLogic a Private Message Find more posts by CURLogic Add CURLogic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
squireoh
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by CURLogic
In the US, I thought espn3 was to have coverage, but I don't see any games in the Upcoming listings for curling. I watch the Scotties last week and thought the Brier was to be broadcasted. Can anyone confirm, with a page link please, that espn3 has Brier games this year? Thanks!

ESPN3 usually doesn't post their curling broadcasts until just before they happen. I wouldn't worry about it unless they still aren't listing them on Saturday afternoon.

Old Post 03-02-17 05:27PM
squireoh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for squireoh Click here to Send squireoh a Private Message Find more posts by squireoh Add squireoh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...eturns-to-ESPN3

ESPN3 will eventually post a schedule.

Old Post 03-03-17 04:09AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Hmmm 16-4 for NS over NU. While I understand the desire to include all for our National Curling Championships, I am not sure the sign up and go areas should be allowed. I keep hearing from various people "I'll move to Nunuvut, so I can go to the Brier".

Is Curling Canada not up there helping to develop these teams? For four years now, the teams have not done very well. At any competition...now CC wants to go to a pool system. I have heard of having Regional Playdowns and the top teams from each Region go to the National Championships...similar to what figure skating does.

Anyway good luck to NU, maybe they will win a game but I guess they will enjoy their free weekend to the Brier. Not sure how this is helping to grow the game.

Old Post 03-03-17 08:33AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I keep hearing from various people "I'll move to Nunuvut, so I can go to the Brier".

That seems like more of an idle threat than all of the celebrities that threatened to leave the US if Trump won the election. Go ahead and live in Nunavut...unless you can just buy a piece of land there and curl for the providence while living in Ontario.

So starting next year, there will be two pools of 8 teams. Does anyone know how the they're going to decided which teams are in each pool? Wouldn't seem fair to do it regionally and have Nunavut, Northwest Territories, and Yukon all in the same pool.

Old Post 03-03-17 09:03AM
Clappy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clappy Click here to Send Clappy a Private Message Find more posts by Clappy Add Clappy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

its probably harder to win Nunavet than

Nfld Labrador - Gushue 28 x
Ontario - Howard 23 times
Alberta. .... Martin 10 x , Koe 6x, Nedohin 12* times
BC - Cotter 15 times
Sask. ... Simmons , Laycock 25 x
Man . Stoughton 13x,
N Ont. Jacobs 12x

Sweden Edin15x
Norway - Ulsrud 37x
Germany - Kapp. 37x. Schopp 168x
Team. canada - every time
Adam.Casey 13 provinces so far - and my choice to win ( he has hair to die for - similar to mine in the 50s ) - plus a nice guy to watch and cheer for .

Old Post 03-03-17 09:29AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Clappy

That seems like more of an idle threat than all of the celebrities that threatened to leave the US if Trump won the election. Go ahead and live in Nunavut...unless you can just buy a piece of land there and curl for the providence while living in Ontario.

So starting next year, there will be two pools of 8 teams. Does anyone know how the they're going to decided which teams are in each pool? Wouldn't seem fair to do it regionally and have Nunavut, Northwest Territories, and Yukon all in the same pool.

No - I meant they should have regional playdowns before the brier

West, Central, East. YK & NWT in the West, NU in Central. Top 3 in each region, Team Canada and top 2 on CTRS. I know it will never happen but make the Brier something to work for not sign up and go.

Last edited by curlerbroad on 03-03-17 at 10:16AM

Old Post 03-03-17 10:14AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Harvey Hacksmasher

If the Brier were to be played anywhere outside Newfoundland,

I'd pick McEwen & Co. to win it.

But since it is going to be played in St. John's, I'm betting

this hometown advantage will enable Gushue to defeat him in

the finals.

This is not to say that either Jacobs or Koe are incapable

of winning the whole enchilada. They are. All four teams

are definitely able to achieve a 90% plus average for

multiple games.

But.... they haven't been waiting 14 years for this like

Gushue has.

Old Post 03-03-17 10:48AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Curling Canada has used the last three years worth of results to determine the divisions.

Old Post 03-03-17 10:55AM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Curlerbroad, sorry I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just saying that people who say that wouldn't really follow through with it. Who is moving to Nunavut just to play in the Brier?

Old Post 03-03-17 11:14AM
Clappy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clappy Click here to Send Clappy a Private Message Find more posts by Clappy Add Clappy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

No - I meant they should have regional playdowns before the brier

West, Central, East. YK & NWT in the West, NU in Central. Top 3 in each region, Team Canada and top 2 on CTRS. I know it will never happen but make the Brier something to work for not sign up and go.

You're talking about one territory, that is just starting to build its base as a place people curl. No one is moving to Nunavut just so they can go to the Brier. They can bring in one import, but no one is even jumping on that yet. Nunavut will probably get stomped at the Brier for a few years, but getting more residents involved in curling is for the good of the game. As kids see they can reach the Brier or Scotties, they will get more involved. More kids curling means better competition, which will lead to a stronger rep. They'll never reach the levels of Manitoba or Ontario, but that's because of their population.

There are enough rules in place that not one person is going to move to Nunavut simply to curl in the Brier, never mind four people doing it. At one point I can see someone doing something to Sarah Koltun, where they are from the territory, but go to school in another province, and can still represent their territory. You can do that in any province though, and is completely in the spirit, and letter, of the rules.

Old Post 03-03-17 11:54AM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Curlerbroad, sorry I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just saying that people who say that wouldn't really follow through with it. Who is moving to Nunavut just to play in the Brier?

If I was independently wealthy I would surely do this and pay three friends to move up with me. Go up there and curl for a year to get better and then have fun at the Brier next year in the stupid pool system. Get rolled 30-2 by some top 10 CTRS teams and become a patch legend like J. Koe !

Old Post 03-03-17 05:40PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy

You're talking about one territory, that is just starting to build its base as a place people curl. No one is moving to Nunavut just so they can go to the Brier. They can bring in one import, but no one is even jumping on that yet. Nunavut will probably get stomped at the Brier for a few years, but getting more residents involved in curling is for the good of the game. As kids see they can reach the Brier or Scotties, they will get more involved. More kids curling means better competition, which will lead to a stronger rep. They'll never reach the levels of Manitoba or Ontario, but that's because of their population.

There are enough rules in place that not one person is going to move to Nunavut simply to curl in the Brier, never mind four people doing it. At one point I can see someone doing something to Sarah Koltun, where they are from the territory, but go to school in another province, and can still represent their territory. You can do that in any province though, and is completely in the spirit, and letter, of the rules.

They've got 35,000 people and 3 curling clubs. They are a long plane ride from any type of WCT event where they might get more experience. Critical mass just ain't happening. It's still mind boggling to me that we're completely reorganizing the Brier and Scotties (for the worse in my opinion) so we can give 3 separate territories their own team in the competition. All 3 don't even add up to PEI, which is 4 times smaller than the next province on the list. At a certain point if you live in a remote place you have to admit that you will need to move (or travel A LOT) if you want to compete in a competitive sport.

Old Post 03-03-17 05:43PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

I agree. Plus, I think the worst part about the new format is that every team in the Brier will not play every other team.

Old Post 03-03-17 06:04PM
Curlwalker
Harvey Hacksmasher

At one level (competitiveness) I agree that having these territories is awkward...but...

With 3 curling clubs..that is more than some countries who are in the world championships. Maybe if curling is the one sport that lets Nunavut, Yukon, NWT appear on a regular basis in a national championship it will encourage them to really work at it and maybe there will be another Koe family out there.

Old Post 03-03-17 06:51PM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Click here to Send Curlwalker a Private Message Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey

They've got 35,000 people and 3 curling clubs. They are a long plane ride from any type of WCT event where they might get more experience. Critical mass just ain't happening. It's still mind boggling to me that we're completely reorganizing the Brier and Scotties (for the worse in my opinion) so we can give 3 separate territories their own team in the competition. All 3 don't even add up to PEI, which is 4 times smaller than the next province on the list. At a certain point if you live in a remote place you have to admit that you will need to move (or travel A LOT) if you want to compete in a competitive sport.

If it were up to me I'd make the three territories one team, get rid of Northern Ontario and make them play in Ontario like a normal province, keep Team Canada, and go with 12 teams. I like a round robin, but with 15 or 16 teams, it's likely too many. 12 teams is a great number for the round robin. Tour participation already gets you direct entries to provincial playdowns and I don't think it should get you one to the Brier. The powers that be have already spoken, and the next format is already written. My point was more that no one is moving to Nunavut to curl, rather than trying to justify them getting a spot. I hope it raises their profile, but they'll never make a dent at the national level.

Old Post 03-03-17 06:54PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Nova Scotia goes 3-0 in round robin and still has to beat Yukon, again, to win the pre-qualifier????

Old Post 03-03-17 07:29PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

I don't mind pool play for the juniors/senoirs/etc but I truly think they are ruining our crown jewel events. Curling Canada only committed to one year of pools at the Brier/Scotties and then will re-evaluate. I think a private survey of the players will speak volumes. If you go back to the original announcement you can see online grumbling from some 'pros' (don't ask me for sources but I can clearly remember at least two well known curlers not in favour of the change). Obviously this pool thing is in response to the supposed unfairness of the play-in pre-tournament. Well, I like the play-in games and I wish TSN would make their Draw1 broadcast the play-in final.

The dumb part of pool play is the Seeding Pool for those that don't make the Playoff Pool. They should at least put up a toaster or a couple bottles of wine to the winner of that set of meaningless games.

Old Post 03-03-17 07:55PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

2 from territories
2 from the maritimes/nfld
1 from all other provs.
Team Canada
Top ytd points.

Old Post 03-04-17 02:35AM