Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2015 World Women's Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 25 of 25 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-23-15 06:24AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

People aren't banned because of a disagreement on some issue. They get banned because of bigotry, racism or personal attacks. ML might be frustrating at times but he does stick to the main issue which is curling.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-23-15 09:03AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I really don't like where world women's curling is going. Only countries capable of sending more than 1 potential playoff team to worlds are:

Switzerland (3 or 4)
Canada (4 to 6)

Russia and Scotland are on an island with only Sidorova and Muirhead seemingly able to withstand the competition and now Eve appears at a crossroads.

China, Korea and Japan are the up 'n comers. Hopefully they'll all have at least 2 world class teams prior to 2020.

USA has tons of curlers but their program seems counter-productive.

Denmark used to have the amazing Distracted Danish Blondes but they seemed to have crawled under a rock. Nielsen isn't top drawer.

Norway used to be so good. Classy gal in Puttinen, the gym teacher but they need help.

Sweden still has 2 or 3 teams waiting to replace Sigfridson's program.

Wonder whats happening in Italy, France, Latvia, Ukraine, etc?

The World Curling Organization rather than promoting that silly mixed doubles should refocus their efforts on growing the game in Europe. Curling looks to be on life support there. If Scotland is depending on Eve to save them, then the Royal Caledonian is truely out to lunch. They need to be ensuring that Eve has some competition. If indeed Eve does have serious health issues, then they should be bringing other teams along.

The USA is trying, not sure the HPP is working, but perhaps with some retooling, they might suceed. Bottom line every country including Canada needs to grow the game and I don't think anyone really is.

03-23-15 10:40AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

The World Curling Organization rather than promoting that silly mixed doubles should refocus their efforts on growing the game in Europe. Curling looks to be on life support there. If Scotland is depending on Eve to save them, then the Royal Caledonian is truely out to lunch. They need to be ensuring that Eve has some competition. If indeed Eve does have serious health issues, then they should be bringing other teams along.

The USA is trying, not sure the HPP is working, but perhaps with some retooling, they might suceed. Bottom line every country including Canada needs to grow the game and I don't think anyone really is.

I agree about the mixed doubles. I know for some countries it's perceived as an easier path to the winter olympics (assuming it's adopted), but I think the focus should be on growing/sustaining the traditional format and ensuring it's continued existence first.

Europe is a mixed bag with the women's game. Obviously there is a lot of depth in Switzerland, I would put Sweden second to the Swiss when it comes to depth. In both cases I assume they have a solid pipeline of junior teams, otherwise they wouldn't be where they are today. Scotland/Great Britain at the moment is obviously dominated by Muirhead's rink, and I don't really follow juniors so I'm not too sure what the future looks like there. From bits and pieces I do see and hear though they do seem to be making an effort to grow the game and develop younger curlers. Other than the top one or two teams in each country, I don't really know much about their depth or their feeder programs, so it's hard to say. Overall though, I agree that things do seem like they could use a "shot in the arm" in a lot of countries.

I think the HPP in the US is experiencing expected growing pains. Part of the problem is having established players/teams used to one system adopt/adapt to a new system. Team chemistry takes time to develop, so I think if things settle down with the lineup changes there will be better results. I think the HPP will really start to show results in a few years with developing the junior-level curlers into "adult" curlers playing in the big leagues. Again, assuming they allow teams to grow and develop as a cohesive unit.

I know in Canada that recreational curling is in trouble. Funny thing is that in the US it's growing like crazy. New clubs are forming all over and new facilities are being built all the time...both in established curling areas and places where there were none before. Minneapolis/St Paul already has three thriving clubs and a fourth is being built in the area. My club (in the Chicago suburbs) has only been around about a year and we're thriving. Mind you, we play on hockey ice at 10:00 PM on Thursdays, so the time and conditions aren't ideal. Nevertheless, our learn-to-curls are often full and we manage to have steady league play. The two other clubs in Chicagoland are basically full, and Waltham (about 90 minutes from Chicago) is incredibly busy. Also, there is now an Arena Nationals every year (for clubs like mine that play on non-dedicated ice) which is growing. It might not be at the same level as the US Nationals or even Club Nationals, but it's something. Overall though, I don't really know how (if at all) this will translate to the more serious competitive side of the game in the US, but at least there is interest and growth in some aspect of the sport.

But yeah, I think you're right that at the moment things seem to be stagnating worldwide at the top competitive levels. Maybe the growth of the Grand Slams and increased TV exposure will get more people interested in the game, which is ultimately how the sport will grow at every level. I mean, every Brier/Scotties/National/World/Olympic champion had to start somewhere.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

03-23-15 12:30PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Loony

Yes he is, but he's been doing it for quite some time and I guess the moderators think it's just fine since he's allowed to do it despite many many many complaints and all sorts of good posters leaving the forum because of him.

Put him on ignore and then you only see a comment when someone unfortunately quotes him. You'll get pages though where half or more of the comments are hidden!

I used to let Manitoba idiot's posts bother me. I now use them as entertainment. I like to see just how low he can go with ignorant and rude posts. And then every once in awhile his buddy chimes in. M.I. Must have caught him doing something....

03-23-15 03:43PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido

I used to let Manitoba idiot's posts bother me. I now use them as entertainment. I like to see just how low he can go with ignorant and rude posts. And then every once in awhile his buddy chimes in. M.I. Must have caught him doing something....

This site seems to love the guy for the drama he brings, and talking to the man himself is useless he's delusional and set in his ways. I accept that message, better things to do in life, like actually compete and play the game itself.

03-23-15 04:08PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Trying to tell an obsessive/compulsive sickopath to STFU is nigh on impossible. Not a good reflection of the human race immo.
240 posts in 6 years and 235 of them are the creepy obsessive/compulsive types!
Thank cripes for the IG feature!!

Says the man who complains about others posting hate filled messages. Your post sounds pretty hateful to me, Boney Moronie.

If you're using the IG (ignore) feature how do you know his posts the "creepy obsessive/compulsive type?"

Last edited by Guest on 03-23-15 at 04:23PM

03-23-15 05:10PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I'm not whoever you think I am (probably Pete Steski).

Regardless, I find you to be much more of a jerk than ML. But hey, just one man's opinion.

Well, apologies are due to Pete Steski then, as I said I expected more from him then what was posted and it turns out you're just another random guy on the internet. If I'm a jerk, that's your opinion, but that in itself would be better then being openly misogonystic on a public site.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-23-15 at 08:16PM

03-23-15 08:10PM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad
People aren't banned because of a disagreement on some issue. They get banned because of bigotry, racism or personal attacks. ML might be frustrating at times but he does stick to the main issue which is curling.

So bigotry and racism are verboten but sexism is just fine?

And vicious personal attacks are allowed too?

Admins don't have to look far if they're wondering why a potentially good curling forum in Canada isn't thriving.

03-23-15 09:17PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Admins don't have to look far if they're wondering why a potentially good curling forum in Canada isn't thriving.

You got that right.

03-24-15 01:31PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:

Why dont you and guido, and nine ender get together and have a little whine fest of your own and leave the curling site to people talking curling.

Legends comments are not even close to the level of annoying you 3 are at.

03-24-15 10:52PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan
Why dont you and guido, and nine ender get together and have a little whine fest of your own and leave the curling site to people talking curling.

Legends comments are not even close to the level of annoying you 3 are at.

Have you looked in a mirror recently?

03-24-15 10:59PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

LOL, it just keeps getting more entertaining.
See 8 posts above.

03-25-15 12:40AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Would someone please post about the topic?