Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > The Olympic Qualifying Event (OQE)

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-10-13 07:40PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc
I don't know how the top U.S. teams are preparing for competition, or how the USCA is helping them in terms of high-performance training (???) but even club teams and many competitive recreational curlers have a full-season fitness plan that involves strength training and cardio. From personal experience, I can say it makes a HUGE difference in performance even in the local club and regional bonspiel grind. At the top levels it is essential.

I think most of the rest of the world has not only caught up to the U.S. in curling, but has bought into physical training and professional coaching (mental training.) I personally don't think it is just raw talent--the U.S. has as large a pool of experienced curlers as many small countries that are outperforming us at worlds. I don't think we can take our national curling prowess for granted anymore.

Cheers.

Best example of hitting the gym: TEAM JACOBS....ripped and with guns on those arms.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-10-13 09:56PM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Oh, please.
Newbie league? Come on. A little harsh, don't you think?
Percentages? The same percentages that had Jacobs in the middle of pack at the Canadian Trials?
Shoostie and Da Boyz have one terrible end...yet still come home in the 10th one-down-with-hammer. Now I have to read about fitness training and a sports' shrink? (by the way, they have both already)...
Let's do it this way: Face, you and Da Boyz run the table to finish 6 and 1 so I don't have to read all this gloom.
Ben Tucker
USA!

Tuck's reflecting that rah-rah-USA spirit I mentioned earlier, but one terrible end doesn't reduce the team's shooting percentage to only 69%! Unfortunately, I don't see any US men's competitive teams matching the dedication of the top Canadian and world teams. They seem to work hard enough to give them a shot at the U.S. title, but I don't see any matching the dedication required for Olympic medals.

12-10-13 10:45PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Oh, please.

Percentages? The same percentages that had Jacobs in the middle of pack at the Canadian Trials?

Ben Tucker
USA!

Not sure what Trials you were watching. Every team at Canadian Trials had percentage for the entire event of at least 85% and lowest percentage for any one game was 76%. Shoostie and the boys can only dream of those numbers. You may say that do not matter but they are certainly an indication of relative shot making -- and today's numbers were awful

12-10-13 11:31PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

What Trials did I watch? The Canadian Trials in Winnipeg...some of it in person.

Jacobs was (along with Kevin Martin) one of the best skips there. Yet according to the statistics after the round robin, he was rated middle of the pack.

Stats are only as useful as the person interpreting the numbers. Rocks, ice quality and the style of the game avoid a reasonable person extrapolating statistics from one event to another.

Yet I am but a lone voice yelling into a fierce wind. We are American sport fans. The latest loss is always the end of the world and the latest victory is a sign invincibility. Fire the coach and trade the star players...time to rebuild except we lack the patience for any rebuilding. Win today and every day.

Before I shut up, hear one thing: Of the eight teams in Fussen on the Men's side, only one will be a threat to make the playoffs in Sochi. That team is the USA. (same can be said China on the Women's side)

Ben Tucker

12-11-13 01:21AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
What Trials did I watch? The Canadian Trials in Winnipeg...some of it in person.

Jacobs was (along with Kevin Martin) one of the best skips there. Yet according to the statistics after the round robin, he was rated middle of the pack.

Stats are only as useful as the person interpreting the numbers. Rocks, ice quality and the style of the game avoid a reasonable person extrapolating statistics from one event to another.

Yet I am but a lone voice yelling into a fierce wind. We are American sport fans. The latest loss is always the end of the world and the latest victory is a sign invincibility. Fire the coach and trade the star players...time to rebuild except we lack the patience for any rebuilding. Win today and every day.

Before I shut up, hear one thing: Of the eight teams in Fussen on the Men's side, only one will be a threat to make the playoffs in Sochi. That team is the USA. (same can be said China on the Women's side)

Ben Tucker

According to CCA, skip percentages at the Trials were

1 Kevin Martin 96 96 86 83 97 96 89 92
2 Brad Jacobs 95 93 96 83 85 83 90 89
3 Mike McEwen 90 89 88 94 84 81 79 86
4 Jim Cotter 91 93 87 86 74 84 81 85
5 Glenn Howard 79 83 88 81 93 88 63 83
6 John Epping 90 76 94 86 69 86 72 82
6 Jeff Stoughton 86 81 88 67 89 78 88 82
8 Kevin Koe 86 78 87 64 83 84 85 81

Middle of the pack here isn't too bad but in fact Martin and Jacobs were #1 and #2 and they just happened to finish among the top 3 qualifiers, along with the skip rated #4. Discount the stats if you wish, but a "reasonable person" would not deny that these guys are awfully good. And while there may not be a direct comparison between events, the rocks, quality of the ice and the style of play are not going to impact scores so much that Shusters 69% compares in any way with any of these teams. Yes, it was just one game but there are only a couple of outliers from the Trials that come close to team USA's numbers. Shuster has proven he can compete with anybody in USA but no USA team has shown it can compete with the top international teams. I still wonder if it will not take NBC to get USA into the Olympics on a regular basis by using its $$$$ to convince IOC that there should be 2 countries from western hemispere curling in every Olympics.

12-11-13 07:52AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I don't know what your watching the percentages at the trials for

12-11-13 07:56AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Shot by shot percentages are an art more than a science...they are affected very easily by personal bias...what one scorer sees as a 4 can be another's 3...and that's the difference between 100% and 75%...

And i'm not saying that they're gaming the system or anything, but Canadian scorers might just be subconsciously goosing the scores, because "Our Olympic Team shot 90% in Trials" makes them seem very imposing...

On the other hand, the scorers in Germany...are probably German...I'd bet the Canadian Olympic Team would be struggling to shoot 80% here.

Now, I would be concerned becasue the US Team was outcurled in the first game...but...that doesn't mean they are dead, it just means that they had a bad game...I see they won their 2nd game, and so far, just about everyone is 1-1...so...it's anyone's competition still.

12-11-13 09:02AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

I just went and watched the last three ends on curlit. First, I would not pay any attention to the stats if they are the same as the ones shown there. One of those ends, a perfect long guard is thrown and the "score" is 50%.

Second, seems they struggled a bit again but a win is a win. Korea and Czech Republic both at 2-0. Next up is France so another important game to start climbing the ladder to the playoffs.

Game at 10am EST. See you at WCF TV for chat and curlit for the shot tracker.

JH
USA USA USA (tm Willy)

12-11-13 09:18AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Good to see that Shuster ground out an important win. These guys are if nothing else resiliant. They were again in control/contact early before having a lapse and dropping 3 in a pretty innocuous-looking end. The middle ends were not pretty, but in the critical last end Shuster's team was perfect with execution and NZL imploded, leading to a USA steal. I think Shuster still needs to step it up for upcoming games. However you score shooting statistics, they look to be struggling a bit. They are still dead last as a team.

12-11-13 11:10AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Game 3 in progress against France...in the 4th, it's 3-2, US having given up a steal of 1 in the first and stealing a pair of it's own in the 3rd (after taking 1 in the 2nd).

Meanwhile, Korea putting a hurting on Finland and New Zealand spanking Japan...the Czechs and Germans are in a tight one.

Oops, US steals another to go up 4-2.

God I wish there was some sort of way to see things visually from far away places...like some sort of telecommuncated vision tool...they could call it...television....

12-11-13 11:20AM
livem1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for livem1 Click here to Send livem1 a Private Message Find more posts by livem1 Add livem1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
livem1
Harvey Hacksmasher

issacson and shuster still can't sniff 70%....this can't continue and will catch up to them in this tourney....if not the back 9 of this game. at least the front end has picked up the pace and gotten themselves over 80 for the first time.

if you're looking at the stone by stones.....jeff's to's are really really bad. either shuster can't fig out the ice or it's on jeff. i'm rooting as much as the rest (and i get it tuck, %'s don't tell the whole story)....but, while you can curl 90% and lose, it's really hard to maintain a pace of curling 68% and win. wouldn't you agree?

12-11-13 11:29AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Shuster is at 70% after 5, Isaacson 68%, which is within margin of error of 70% after 10 shots (the difference between a 3 and a 4 on a single shot at this point is 2.5% on your total score).

And when the opposition backend is averaging 50%...70% is a winning score.

Shuster steals 2 in the 5th to go up 6-2.

12-11-13 11:35AM
livem1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for livem1 Click here to Send livem1 a Private Message Find more posts by livem1 Add livem1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
livem1
Harvey Hacksmasher

their overall tournament average is listed as well....68% and 66%. i'm not sure what you're saying....but, these guys are going to HAVE to get up to the high 70's/low 80's in this thing over the next 5 games (including this one) to be in a good place for playoffs. agreed?

France is chasing in this game now and i imagine their #'s could go down here and the US will go up if they are looking at mostly guards and to's to maintain lead.

12-11-13 11:59AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Hmm...not sure I agree with the call in the last of the 7th....

Up 3, with hammer, facing a not quite frozen opposing shot rock apoparently mostly behind high guard, it appears Shuster went for a promote (???but so says the shot tracker) and it went poorly...

France steals 1 to get right back into this thing.

Seems to me the smart play would have been just take your draw for one and move on.

12-11-13 12:07PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

More likely he was trying to tap back the France rock with his own to score two. But a draw for one would have put them up 4.

12-11-13 12:27PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

So, a well played hit end against a freezechain and a couple of key misses by France gives Shuster the 10-4 win in 9.

In other games, New Zealand beats Japan, Korea crushes Finland, and the Germans are giving the Czech Republic fits...up 7-5 in the 9th.

Last edited by AlanMacNeill on 12-11-13 at 12:38PM

12-11-13 12:38PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

A solid two win day. Next up is Germany and Japan. Another two win day would be great. One bad end against France but at least it was the first, giving up a steal of two. Hopefully they are getting a handle on the ice.

Alan, Korea is the undefeated team not Japan. Czech Republic losing helps the US but they hold the tie-break of head to head. The 1-2 game is still in reach and in the US control. Win the rest, simple as that.

JH
Disappointed the Kiwis were not shown on WCF TV this morning

12-11-13 12:39PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Yep, I misread the JPN-KOR result from draw 1.

12-11-13 12:46PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Hmm...not sure I agree with the call in the last of the 7th....

Up 3, with hammer, facing a not quite frozen opposing shot rock apoparently mostly behind high guard, it appears Shuster went for a promote (???but so says the shot tracker) and it went poorly...

France steals 1 to get right back into this thing.

Seems to me the smart play would have been just take your draw for one and move on.

My thought, too, watching shot-tracker. Shuster must have thought this was an easy tap-back for 2, but the downside is with the weight and line you must throw puts you a risk of giving up 1. The straight draw to go up 4 with 3 to play is probably a 90% make. On the plus side, a miss and steal still leaves you up 2 with hammer in even ends. That may have been the deciding factor. I think you would have to think the tapback deuce in 7 is a better than 50% chance to make it the right call. Without being there and seeing the ice conditions, it's hard to say which call was optimal.

12-11-13 12:52PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

And the Germans hold on, blanking the 10th to win 7-6.

So, afetr 3 draws, it's Korea with the early surprise, 3-0...the Czechs, New Zealand, and USA in 2nd at 2-1, France, Germany, and Japan at 1-2, and Finland at 0-3.

Early analysis says that it looks good for the US.

Korea benefitted from starting against 3 of the minnows in the field (of course, they were the minnowiest of the minnows....), I wouldn't expect them to continue this torrid pace.

The US started out with the 3 highest ranked teams in the competition (Well, aside from themselves), and a 2-1 puts them in strong shape as they approach what *should* be the much easier back end of the draw.

IF all remaining games go by World rankings, it's USA in the #1 spot, New Zealand at #2, and the Czechs in #3.

If we assume that all of the teams are what they have shown in the first three games (in other words, the teams with the better record to this point win all remaining games), then Korea takes the #1 seed, US is either 2 or 3, depending on the winner of the CZE-NZL game in the 7th draw.

As said earlier...take care of business by winning out, and the 1-2 game is clinched...we could end up the #2 seed if the Czechs also win out, but that's as bad as it could be.

In short...take care of business and book flights to Sochi.

12-12-13 08:23AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Now they have all become must wins. Czech Republic, Germany, France, New Zealand all at 2-2 with Shuster.

Looking at the shot tracker for the 10th, one flash on a peel then Germany makes a lot of perfect shots. Give up 3 to lose.

Germany has the "easiest" schedule and could get 2nd.

JH

12-12-13 08:26AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I thought Germany might be dangerous. They went through undefeated in qualifying Germany for worlds next year and yes the competition wasn't the greatest but that's got to give you confidence. Throw in playing on home ice and maybe we shouldn't have overlooked them.

they do have the lightest schedule of anyone left and they are obviously curling well, they just took out the 2 favorites in this.

Japan and finland at 1-3 doesn't really surprise me. not sure why japan was rated so highly coming in.

12-12-13 08:37AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Korea?

KOREA????

For all intents and purposes, Korea books a slot in the playoffs by beating New Zealand 10-6 to move to 4-0, and assumes a 2 game lead over the field...one more win clinches at least a tiebreaker slot. Their remaining games are the Czechs, USA, and France, so not an easy road to hoe...but when you only need to go 1-2, they have to feel like they have a shot.

Almost everyone else is 2-2...the Czechs, France, Germany, New Zealand, and the US are all in a 5 way tie for 2nd-6th at 2-2. 3 of those 5 teams will end up dissapointed, it's just a matter of whom.

Finland and Japan three back at 1-3. Probably not their years.

Looking at who among that 2-2 set still have control of their own destiny

It's not the US...they have zero games remaining inside the 2-2 "mini-league"...with Japan, Korea, and Finland remaining, they cannot hang losses on their main competition...however, with 2 games that appear on their face winnable, and a match against Korea...4-3 is likely, and 5-2 possible. They basically have used their mulligans, winning out only guarantees them a Tiebreaker berth for the 3 slot, they need help to get more. The 1 slot is a possibility, they need to win out, get an additional loss by Korea, and losses by the Czechs and Germany.

New Zealand is in clear control of their own destiny, with all three remaining games inside the 2-2 pool (German, France, and Czech)...win out and they are assuredly into at least the 3 slot, and the 2 slot if the US loses one.

Germany only has one game remaining in the mini-pool (NZ), and 2 remaining against the minnows (FIN, JPN), They are in a slightly stronger spot than the US, win out and the 3 slot is secured, with 2 a possibility.

France has a New Zealand game in the mini-pool, Finland, and Korea. Winning out gets them into tiebreakers, but does not necessarily guarantee a playoff berth...however, winning out also gives them a shot at the 1 slot, if Korea were to lose one other game, and the US, Germans, and Czechs to each lose one. Lots of variables in play for the Tri-colors.

The Czechs have Korea, Japan, and New Zealand, copy and paste the French analysis, needing losses by Korea, France and Germany to take that #1 slot.

I'm putting an overly extensive analysis of every combination of outcomes up on Google Docs right now...will link when done.

12-12-13 09:00AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Ridiculously large "What If" spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dit?usp=sharing

I've worked through the US Odds...
4096 scenarios...if we assume all are equally likely...

68 get into the 1-2 game
220 go into a tiebreak scenario for the 1,2, or 3 slot
190 go into a tiebreak for 1,2,3, or out (playoffs)
138 go into a tiebreak for 2 or 3 slot
871 go into a tiebreak for 2,3, or out (playoffs)
701 go into a tiebreak for 3rd
1908 (46.6%) are eliminated

Oddly, there are no remaining scenarios where the US team goes into just 3rd place without a tiebreaker..

The other teams I leave as an exercise for the reader

Last edited by AlanMacNeill on 12-12-13 at 09:37AM

12-12-13 09:58AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
[B]Now they have all become must wins.

Actually...no....they aren't....well...with the right help...

Win all 3 remaining and they clinch at least a tiebreaker (512 scenarios, 68 straight to the 1-2 game, 220 a TB for 1-3, 96 TB 1-out, 96 TB 2-3, 32 TB 2-Out).

4-3 puts them in at best a tiebreaker scenario, but it does at least put them into a playoff tiebreaker in all but 40 scenarios (out of the 512 possibilities). Losing to Korea is worse than Japan or Finland (22 direct outs rather than 9 or 9). The most likely scenario with a 4-3 finish is a tiebreak for 2nd, 3rd, or out (835 scenarios), a tiebreak for 3rd (525). I did not compute the results *of* the tiebreakers (too complex to do easily), so I suspect we end up on the lower end of a lot of those, but you can't be eliminated without a tiebreaker game, so they would at least have a playoff game.

There are even *some* scenarios where they can climb into a tiebreak for 3rd place with a 3-4 record (180 out of 1536)