Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2015 Tim Hortons Brier

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-08-15 09:06PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

2015 Tim Hortons Brier

With the field all but set here are my thoughts on the field and the teams there:

Alberta - Kevin koe has won this event 3 times and with the field as it is has to be considered the co favorite with northern ontario, and newfoundland .this team had trouble at first but they are rolling now and you know kevin would love to get back to worlds and improve on last years performance

Canada - they are hard to judge. at times they looked great and others down right average. they have hardly played this year but i dont think that'll hurt them to much.

British Columbia - returning finalists from last year jim has gotten more comfortable with skipping but at the same time his record at the brier as a skip is pretty bad. so can he finally have a good showing at a brier as skip ? i think he will do better than before but doubt they make final 4

Saskatchewan - heartbreaking steal to new brunswick last year caused them to miss the playoffs. they have had a great year and can make the playoffs .

Manitoba - the surprise winner for some but reid has had a great year. they had a scare early in manitoba but rolled from there. no lack of experience here either . they should be in the mix

Ontario - great to see team kean get out of ontario(even if i was hoping salightly more for epping). This is a great young team and they can beat pretty much anyone here. i would only really but jacobs and koe out of their reach

Northern ontario - brad returns to the brier and is most definately one of the 2 co favorites. if they play like they did late in 2013 at the brier they could win this again

Quebec - jean michel menard returns for quebec and will hope to improve on last year when they gave koe everything he could handle in the semi and were this close to making the final. They proved last year they can beat anyone and if they red line like that again this year they will be a factor

New brunswick - first time here and, really they will be here for the experience. with the field as deep as it is they will be happy to win more than one game

Newfoundland - absolutely no surprises here. they have been great this year and should be in the playoff mix. can brad finally win it all? well to do so he will probably have to go through alberta and northern ontario

Northwest territories - jamie koe has proven he can beat the top teams . problem is that he almost never gets to play on arena ice so how he does will depend on how fast he can adapt to the conditions

Playoffs:

alberta, northern ontario, newfoundland, ontario

it was really hard to choose here because i could see at least 8 teams having a shot at playoffs. i went with ontario but i could also see quebec , manitoba, canada or saskatchewan getting there

for this reason im not naming dark horses

WINNER:

newfoundland (it just seems like its their year to finally do it)

dark horse winner:

quebec

Last edited by misty1 on 02-09-15 at 06:42PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-08-15 10:07PM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Your missing some teams I think ?

02-08-15 10:35PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Island Roger
Your missing some teams I think ?

i didnt write anything about the teams that havent qualified yet. i will write something on the team that does

02-09-15 01:26AM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Re: 2015 Tim Hortons Brier

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
With the field all but set here are my thoughts on the field and the teams there:

Alberta - Kevin koe has won this event 3 times and with the field as it is has to be considered the co favorite with northern ontario, in fact it would be pretty shocking if thats not the final. this team had trouble at first but they are rolling now and you know kevin would love to get back to worlds and improve on last years performance

Canada - they are hard to judge. at times they looked great and others down right average. they have hardly played this year but i dont think that'll hurt them to much.

British Columbia - returning finalists from last year jim has gotten more comfortable with skipping but at the same time his record at the brier as a skip is pretty bad. so can he finally have a good showing at a brier as skip ? i think he will do better than before but doubt they make final 4

Saskatchewan - heartbreaking steal to new brunswick last year caused them to miss the playoffs. they have had a great year and can make the playoffs .

Manitoba - the surprise winner for some but reid has had a great year. they had a scare early in manitoba but rolled from there. no lack of experience here either . they should be in the mix

Ontario - great to see team kean get out of ontario(even if i was hoping salightly more for epping). This is a great young team and they can beat pretty much anyone here. i would only really but jacobs and koe out of their reach

Northern ontario - brad returns to the brier and is most definately one of the 2 co favorites. if they play like they did late in 2013 at the brier they could win this again

Quebec - jean michel menard returns for quebec and will hope to improve on last year when they gave koe everything he could handle in the semi and were this close to making the final. They proved last year they can beat anyone and if they red line like that again this year they will be a factor

New brunswick - first time here and, really they will be here for the experience. with the field as deep as it is they will be happy to win more than one game

Newfoundland - absolutely no surprises here. they have been great this year and should be in the playoff mix. can brad finally win it all? well to do so he will probably have to go through alberta and northern ontario

Northwest territories - jamie koe has proven he can beat the top teams . problem is that he almost never gets to play on arena ice so how he does will depend on how fast he can adapt to the conditions

Playoffs:

it was really hard to choose here because i could see at least 7 teams having a shot at playoffs. i went with ontario but i could also see quebec , canada or saskatchewan getting there

WINNER:

newfoundland (it just seems like its their year to finally do it)

dark horse winner:

quebec

Interesting discussion. Instead of Ontario in the quarters, I see Manitoba in there. Otherwise I fully agree! NS has a new rep with little experience compared to the field. PEI might have Adam Casey who will bring his experience with Gushue, and they have done fairly well on the circuit for a new team.

02-09-15 07:53AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: 2015 Tim Hortons Brier

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie

Interesting discussion. Instead of Ontario in the quarters, I see Manitoba in there. Otherwise I fully agree! NS has a new rep with little experience compared to the field. PEI might have Adam Casey who will bring his experience with Gushue, and they have done fairly well on the circuit for a new team.

thank, you!. yes, i can also see manitoba there. its just so hard to pick 4 teams in the playoffs this year because there are so many i can see getting there.

02-09-15 08:54AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2015 Tim Hortons Brier

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Barring something untoward the only locks I can see for playoff spots are

Northern Ontario and Koe Canada.....

after that its a pig scramble

Goo might have a leg up for 3rd but Manitoba, Sask'n, Ontario and even Sask'n will also lay claim to 4th or a tie-breaker.

yeah, alberta and northern ontario are locks. unless one of those 2 just has a completely off week.

gushue is more vulnerable to the upset losses for sure but i still think he's good enough that he should get there. he is also enjoying his best season ever on tour , he's super confident and the team in front of him is playing great so i dont see him missing playoffs.

and then you have that group of like 5 teams that are battling for the final spot:

ontario
manitoba
quebec
saskatchewan
canada

and really, its anyone's guess who's in there. If they play like they did in the playdowns i think it will be ontario . but if they redline like last year i'd favor quebec. but then if both of those teams struggle then i'd have to go with manitoba

its really hard to pick a 4th playoff team out of that group and i dont think any of them will pull away so i think we are certain to have tiebreakers and 5 losses might actually be okay this year.

Last edited by misty1 on 02-09-15 at 09:00AM

02-09-15 01:28PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

I agree with pretty much with everything that's been said so far. After the two heavyweights, you could make the case for a handful of teams. Likely Gushue or Canada will get the #3 spot, but after that...

I'm interested to see how this young Ontario team is forged after Brier week.

I expect Manitoba to play very well and be in playoff contention.

I'd guess that Quebec, Ontario, Sask and Manitoba will probably battle it out for #4.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

02-09-15 01:47PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Hasn't Koe just won it twice? Still a great accomplishment but premature to give him three, I think. Would like to see Cotter do well but can't see them making playoffs. I think Sask. team is going to contend.

02-09-15 06:19PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: 2015 Tim Hortons Brier

Alberta-Kevin Koe has won this event 3 times and with the field as it is has to be considered the co favorite with Northern Ontario, in fact it would be pretty shocking if thats not the final.
Playoffs:

it was really hard to choose here because i could see at least 8 teams having a shot at playoffs. i went with ontario but i could also see quebec , manitoba, canada or saskatchewan getting there

[/B][/QUOTE]

I have to disagree with alot of this. You said you would be shocked if Alberta and Northern Ontario weren't in the finals. And you said Koe is rolling now. He won a pretty thin Alberta. Previous to that the rest of his season was a disappointment. Gushue won 2 majors this year, in fields stronger than this Brier. Even tho this Brier is pretty loaded with elite teams, ithink you could argue he should be as much of a favorite (behind Team Jacobs obv) as Koe.

You also put Kean ahead of Carruthers and Laycock. Kean has had a tumultuous year. Beating John Epping twice is impressive, but that's diminutive compared to beating Mike Mcewen twice. And he did lose 3 games to a pretty weak field. Carruthers team has had much more success on tour, and Laycock has as well. There is absolutely no reason/logic to have Kean ahead of either of those teams.

One weekend is too small of a sample size to decide if teams are playing well/rolling now/back in form/etc. And it shouldn't hold precedence over the previous few months.

Personally i think Team Kean is an underdog to finish above 500.

02-09-15 06:40PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: 2015 Tim Hortons Brier

quote:
Originally posted by MBTuck
Alberta-Kevin Koe has won this event 3 times and with the field as it is has to be considered the co favorite with Northern Ontario, in fact it would be pretty shocking if thats not the final.
Playoffs:

I have to disagree with alot of this. You said you would be shocked if Alberta and Northern Ontario weren't in the finals. And you said Koe is rolling now. He won a pretty thin Alberta. Previous to that the rest of his season was a disappointment. Gushue won 2 majors this year, in fields stronger than this Brier. Even tho this Brier is pretty loaded with elite teams, ithink you could argue he should be as much of a favorite (behind Team Jacobs obv) as Koe.

You also put Kean ahead of Carruthers and Laycock. Kean has had a tumultuous year. Beating John Epping twice is impressive, but that's diminutive compared to beating Mike Mcewen twice. And he did lose 3 games to a pretty weak field. Carruthers team has had much more success on tour, and Laycock has as well. There is absolutely no reason/logic to have Kean ahead of either of those teams.

One weekend is too small of a sample size to decide if teams are playing well/rolling now/back in form/etc. And it shouldn't hold precedence over the previous few months.

Personally i think Team Kean is an underdog to finish above 500. [/B][/QUOTE]

did you not also read the part at the bottom where i picked newfoundland to win it all. i know that doesnt make sense, i jeed to go back and fix that

as for ontario. yes they had a poor season but they played great in provoncials and , no it was not a weak field.if they play that well they will have a shot. but i also said that its really down to like 5 teams battling for that 4th spot. i had to pick one though and i picked them but that is not me sayinh that manitoba or saskatchewan for example wont be able to make it over them.

its really hard to pick a team out of that group. at the end of the day i could see any one of those 5 making it to playoffs.

in a way it do3snt matter what happened in the season building up to this. its all about peaking at the right time and so if kean is playing their best right now , and can build on what they did inw provincials to the brier they can do well and you can throw the rest of the seasom out the window, they can beat most of the teams here. the only ones i put out of their reach are alberta and northern ontario

Last edited by misty1 on 02-09-15 at 06:46PM

02-09-15 07:11PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Yeah, if you go by a team's season to date, then you'd have to put the likes of Carruthers, Laycock and Casey ahead of Kean. You could even throw in Menard for being a former champ and just having more National experience in general. But make no mistake, this Kean team can swing a big stick and look like some of that big potential may start to be realized after the Ontario Tankard.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

Last edited by Radio-Man on 02-09-15 at 07:14PM

02-09-15 07:22PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Two years ago were we predicting Jacobs to win?
Did we expect him to even qualify for the olympics yet win Gold?
His taking on Fry definitely changed their lives in a way they could only hope for. They have a huge target on their backs. But they are certainly capable of proving their wins were no fluke.

Gushue is still licking that wound, but now that nichols is back, and wants to play he is a force to be reckoned with. 2 Grand Slams so far. I think he wants this more than anyone else out there. Gushue has also settled down. He had a lot of anger a few years ago, and now he seems to be more of a team player. Goodness knows he has some great talent on his team.

So predictions are just that, based on play to date. Barring illness, bad ice etc the top team is going to be one of the 4 -5 solid teams. I don't think Ont is part of that mix. Reading Kean's comment about asking his 3rd to cover for him so he can recover from a tough loss to Howard. That does not sound like world champ material. Yet. He is only ?26 Lots of time to get that high level experience and become a machine.

I am finding it hard to like Koe this year. His is an interesting team. Laing living in Ont, Man and Alberta. (Oh no one has even considered Laing moving to Manitoba???) Oh I digress. A team of talent no doubt.

Reid has impressed on the circuit and yesterday. He too has some great talent that seems to have solidified under his direction. He brings 4 years of experience under Stoughton playing with the likes of Mark, Jon, and Steve Gould. He has a gold at the worlds under his belt too.

I have said it before, and I will again. I wish I was going to Calgary but line scores will have to do.

02-09-15 07:33PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

The Trials win already proved the Brier win wasn't a fluke. The gold medal cemented it. For my money, they are the heavy favorites at the Brier.

02-09-15 07:36PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: 2015 Tim Hortons Brier

[in a way it do3snt matter what happened in the season building up to this. its all about peaking at the right time and so if kean is playing their best right now , and can build on what they did inw provincials to the brier they can do well and you can throw the rest of the seasom out the window, they can beat most of the teams here. the only ones i put out of their reach are alberta and northern ontario [/B][/QUOTE]

I just don't think it makes sense to predict Kean would do better than Carruthers and Laycock. Both those teams made significant strides this year. Kean won an event in which a Wayne Middaugh led team put together 5 minutes before the event finished 3rd. Seemed to be a rather soft field.

And i agree. Peaking is very important. But what Carruthers did this weekend alone was more impressive than what Kean did. A team can get hot on any given weekend. Especially one in which they were the co-favorites.

Now Kean has to go to an environment in which he struggled on this year that yields strong competition, different ice/bigger arena, etc.

I agree that this Kean team has the tools to be a contender. But vs Northern Ontario, Newfoundland, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Canada, he will be a definite underdog. I wouldn't even consider him a fav vs Quebec, BC and PEI either.

02-09-15 08:06PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2015 Tim Hortons Brier

quote:
Originally posted by MBTuck
[in a way it do3snt matter what happened in the season building up to this. its all about peaking at the right time and so if kean is playing their best right now , and can build on what they did inw provincials to the brier they can do well and you can throw the rest of the seasom out the window, they can beat most of the teams here. the only ones i put out of their reach are alberta and northern ontario

I just don't think it makes sense to predict Kean would do better than Carruthers and Laycock. Both those teams made significant strides this year. Kean won an event in which a Wayne Middaugh led team put together 5 minutes before the event finished 3rd. Seemed to be a rather soft field.

And i agree. Peaking is very important. But what Carruthers did this weekend alone was more impressive than what Kean did. A team can get hot on any given weekend. Especially one in which they were the co-favorites.

Now Kean has to go to an environment in which he struggled on this year that yields strong competition, different ice/bigger arena, etc.

I agree that this Kean team has the tools to be a contender. But vs Northern Ontario, Newfoundland, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Canada, he will be a definite underdog. I wouldn't even consider him a fav vs Quebec, BC and PEI either. [/B][/QUOTE]

I simply picked ontario because, to me they can beat all those teams. The one thing they dont have is experience and that might be a factor. But if they dont get nervous and they play to their best then there is no reason to think they cant be around at the end of the week. I simply picked ontario because its really hard to pick one of those 5 to be final 4 with the big 3. It could be any of the 5.

In my book they are all pretty equal , none of those teams are significantly better than the others.I get that manitoba and saskatchewan have had better years but that doesnt always translate to doing well at the national championship. I dont think, talent wise there's much difference between those 2 and ontario. The only 3 teams they are true underdogs against for me are northern ontario, alberta and newfoundland.

any way the fun of predicting is what you get to see how close you are to being right.

Last edited by misty1 on 02-09-15 at 08:13PM

02-09-15 08:07PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Who are Top 3rds in Brier?

quote:
I think there's no question Ryan Fry comes into this event as the top 3rd in the pool. His reputation precedes him - at the end of the week just look at the stats - Fry will be #1 outright or tied or within 1% of whoever ends up there.

Here's the remainder of my 3rd ratings:

2. Bray Moskowy (aka The Big Show, Manitoba)
3. Dr. Simmons, the curling chiropractor won't end up on top of the 3rds parade but he's a key shot player.
4. Marc Kennedy (could be slightly vulnerable in his first brier as a 3rd)
5. Mark Nichols (gold medallist 3rd shooter, tons of experience, great team player, will help Goo immensely)

I know I'll get a ton of heat for putting Moskowy up at #2 but the guy impresses me more every time I see him play. He might be the most intense 3rd in the competition - and that's a good thing for the normally sonmanbulent Carruthers.

in that list i'd have it like this:

1. mark nichols
2. ryan fry
3. pat simmons
4. mark kennedy
5. braeden moskowy

02-09-15 08:38PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Who are Top 3rds in Brier?

quote:

You're really serious about putting Nichols ahead of Fry!

I'd say Fry would get 92% or more of all brier competitors rating as top third!

you are not allowed to give me flack for putting nichols ahead of fry when you put moskowy ahead of nichols, kennedy and simmons.

02-09-15 08:40PM
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are Top 3rds in Brier?

quote:

you are not allowed to give me flack for putting nichols ahead of fry when you put moskowy ahead of nichols, kennedy and simmons.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, catch breath, ha ha ha ha

02-09-15 08:44PM
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Just revealed that Reid Carruthers has brought a blast from the past aboard as his 5th player.

Former Stoughton lead Steve Gould.

Better hope nobody on the front goes down. Stevie is one big boy.

Norm Gould named as coach! I woulda gone with Jon Mead....

Wow that was a bit unexpected. Gould was at the skins game last year and was dying sweeping. But he put his heart and soul into it. Good on Reid to do the unexpected and honour a friend and respected curler.

02-09-15 08:50PM
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Also, no one has suggested that Adam Casey and his new team could come out of PEI and contribute to the guessing game of winners? They have had a pretty decent year.

He is ranked 19th in his first year, 3 below Cotter. Cotter would carry pts from last year with John Morris' contribution, if I am correct.

If he gets out of PEI would anyone want to add him to that list of top 5 6 or 7? He is ranked higher than Kean.....

just want to stir the pot a bit more!

02-09-15 08:53PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are Top 3rds in Brier?

quote:

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, catch breath, ha ha ha ha

you think its ridiculous that i have mark over ryan but its okay that you have moskowy as second?. there is now way moskowy is a better third than any of those guys you listed. i would even rate martin crete and kirk muyres ahead of him

02-09-15 08:54PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Also, no one has suggested that Adam Casey and his new team could come out of PEI and contribute to the guessing game of winners? They have had a pretty decent year.

He is ranked 19th in his first year, 3 below Cotter. Cotter would carry pts from last year with John Morris' contribution, if I am correct.

If he gets out of PEI would anyone want to add him to that list of top 5 6 or 7? He is ranked higher than Kean.....

just want to stir the pot a bit more!

if they qualify they certainly would be a part of that group of teams contending for a playoff spot. the only reason i didnt mention them is because they havent yet qualified so arent officially in the mix yet.

02-09-15 09:06PM
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are Top 3rds in Brier?

quote:

you think its ridiculous that i have mark over ryan but its okay that you have moskowy as second?. there is now way moskowy is a better third than any of those guys you listed. i would even rate martin crete and kirk muyres ahead of him

Sorry but I was laughing at your discussion ("your not allowed!! brought back school memories of being chastised by a long forgotten teacher!!), not the actual comments about thirds. Please don't confuse me with Manitoba Legend. He made the critical comments that are verboten!! I just laughed at the comments. Still laughing.

I can't even begin to weigh in on the thirds argument I am biased.

02-09-15 09:24PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are Top 3rds in Brier?

quote:

Sorry but I was laughing at your discussion ("your not allowed!! brought back school memories of being chastised by a long forgotten teacher!!), not the actual comments about thirds. Please don't confuse me with Manitoba Legend. He made the critical comments that are verboten!! I just laughed at the comments. Still laughing.

I can't even begin to weigh in on the thirds argument I am biased.

sorry. sometimes i get a little snappy.

02-09-15 09:25PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Not much to add. Only thing is regarding Simmons' former 3rd, also former Jr. Champ out of SK. Watched the final and there were a LOT more misses than I saw in ANY of the MB games last week. Not sure Laycock will qualify. Just sayin'.

Agree Gushue seems to have momentum. Agree Menard has strength of character - such an important and undervalued component of the winner. Can not see Morris meshing. Koe has the material, and is no more established than Carruthers, in a team sense. Jacobs has to know it is tough at the top and rise above that, if possible.

The rest will be pushing these teams for all they're worth. They will also need luck to qualify.

If anyone would pay my way to Calg... I'd geek games all week. That'd be a gas. But alas - linescores also for me.