Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Jeff Stoughton to Retire

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-25-15 10:26PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Jeff Stoughton to Retire

Big news as Jeff Stoughton announces his retirement over Twitter today:
http://www.curlingzone.com/talk/?p=136

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-25-15 10:41PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

Greatest Manitoban male curler ever.. I felt that the beginning of the end for Jeff was the championship game of the 2013 Brier where he curled poorly especially in the 1st 4 ends.... Or maybe the curling trials last year when Jeff wasn't in the Top 5 for skip shooting percentages

02-26-15 02:30AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World
Greatest Manitoban male curler ever..

Hard to argue with that. I would have liked to have seen Koe's old team take him on instead of Morris this year and I honestly think they would have been better off as well, although I suppose we'll see how they do. Apparently, he was in the running for the job.

02-26-15 09:38AM
icehog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for icehog Click here to Send icehog a Private Message Find more posts by icehog Add icehog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
icehog
Harvey Hacksmasher

I would have loved to see Jeff head up Team Canada in his final year, but personally Jeff just isn't Jeff without Jon in my opinion. I will never forget that game they played against Martin in the Brier a couple years ago. The two of them were unreal - one of the most amazing performances I can recall. I will also never forget their loss in the Olympic trials final to Gushue. There was always something about Jeff's on ice demeanor that I found unique and appealing. It is sad to see some of the old timers (Howard, Martin, Stoughton) the last few years just a glimmer of their former selves, so while I'm sad to see Jeff go, it would be harder to watch him play mediocre curling with a subpar team.

02-26-15 10:45AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

He did not lose the trials to Gushoe, he lost to Russ Howard...

02-26-15 11:19AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Jeff knows when to fold his cards. He is retiring at the right time when people will remember him for his great curling. I do hope he qualifies for the Player's Championship and an appropriate tribute is paid to him.

I hope he comes back and plays at the Senior Level and Mixed!

02-26-15 12:16PM
icehog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for icehog Click here to Send icehog a Private Message Find more posts by icehog Add icehog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
icehog
Harvey Hacksmasher

No arguments here

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

True dat. While Goo was listed as the skip - Howard essentially functioned as Gushue's Brain..........

perhaps explaining why Brad hasn't had much success after that great Olympic run . . .

Other than the perennial Newfoundland auto-berth!

02-26-15 12:59PM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

I thought Jeff was the most pure shooter I ever witnessed when he first appeared on the national scene, so much so that I thought he had the potential to dominate Canadian curling for years to come. While that may not have come true, he was always in the top echelon and a joy to watch ... for his shotmaking, demeanor and sportsmanship. My admiration only grew at the Regina and Halifax Trials where I witrnessed him always finding the time to sign an autograph for fans ... even after the most heartbreaking losses.
I also wished he would have been picked up by Team Canada to replace Koe ... would have been a great farewell for a great curler!

02-26-15 03:14PM
Par89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par89 Find more posts by Par89 Add Par89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par89
Swing Artist

If you weren't in Halifax watching the Olympic Trials to see all of Gushues games, you are blowing smoke.

02-26-15 03:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

everyone knows gushue never would have won the trials if rus wasnt on the team, he wouldnt have even made the final.

02-26-15 04:21PM
Noeller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Noeller Click here to Send Noeller a Private Message Find more posts by Noeller Add Noeller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noeller
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
everyone knows gushue never would have won the trials if rus wasnt on the team, he wouldnt have even made the final.
The number of dumb calls Gushue was going to make (we know this because they're mic-ed up and we can hear all the convos) that Russ had to talk him out of, was staggering. There's a reason Brad's never had any real success aside from that one brief glimmer. That was Russ's team...and Brad was lucky to be along for the ride.

02-26-15 04:50PM
Noeller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Noeller Click here to Send Noeller a Private Message Find more posts by Noeller Add Noeller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noeller
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

And ever since Brad has never been able to shake the term "Passenger Goo"

...From you, anyhow, Nater...

02-26-15 07:16PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

Even though Gushue/Howard had a 8-1 record at the 2005 trials and a bye to the final and beat Stoughton in RR play I still think Gushue beating Stoughton in the final is the greatest upset in Canadian Olympic trials history.. And the Stoughton team was so devastated Jon Mead for awhile wanted to stop competitive curling after those trials.. And Gerry Vandenberge?(SP) in later years probably joking couldn't believe Stoughton and Mead would try again in later trials and risk putting themselves in that pain and agony all over again

02-26-15 08:00PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Gushue did NOT beat Stoughten, Howard did.

02-26-15 09:41PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

What is it that galls you so much about Gushue's success? Is it because you can't believe a team from Newfoundland beat the mighty Manitoban team,from the hotbed of curling? Can't give credit to a team that has a Canadian and World championship to their credit? That has most recently won 2 of the 3 Grand Slams played this year? Don't be bitter boys, Manitoba has some up-and-coming competent teams and may make a showing in future Briers and Olympic trials.

Last edited by johnnysmoke on 02-26-15 at 09:51PM

02-26-15 09:49PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

Why has a thread that honours Stoughton becoming a pissing match on Gushue?

Sad to see Jeff depart. I think he still has the talent to be top 10 in the world, but suspect he's not interested in dropping a notch from where he's been.