Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > Women's ROTR Qualifiying for Ottawa

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-11-17 03:13PM
gushuechamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gushuechamp Click here to Send gushuechamp a Private Message Find more posts by gushuechamp Add gushuechamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gushuechamp
Harvey Hacksmasher

Although there are always surprises, I mean who expected Michelle Englot in her 50s and slapped together with a new team as a replacement to almost win her first Scotties, the only teams I can really imagine winning the Roar are Homan and Jones. Right now I would put it at 65% Homan, 25% Jones, 10% everyone else combined

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-14-17 11:23AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

As the players winds down, I would like to see some contingencies about who is IN and who is OUT of the ROTR in Ottawa based on these results, and of course the Champions Cup at the end of the month. In particular. where does Scheidegger stand? She is coming on strong. I suspect she will be in Charlottetown, but does her positive performance affect any others in contention?

04-14-17 11:55AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by gushuechamp
Although there are always surprises, I mean who expected Michelle Englot in her 50s and slapped together with a new team as a replacement to almost win her first Scotties, the only teams I can really imagine winning the Roar are Homan and Jones. Right now I would put it at 65% Homan, 25% Jones, 10% everyone else combined

WOW, I wouldn't put any team above 50% to win.

04-15-17 01:53PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

If Sheidegger goes as far or further than Sweeting in the playoffs then Englot AND Fleury are in. If Sweeting goes further than Fleury needs to win the Player's to take Englot spot.

04-15-17 01:58PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Three
If Sheidegger goes as far or further than Sweeting in the playoffs then Englot AND Fleury are in. If Sweeting goes further than Fleury needs to win the Player's to take Englot spot.

Well that's a massive if, cause they are playing Silvana and are likely to lose.

04-17-17 10:27AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

According to Curling Canada's ranking, Fleury is through to the trials while Carey is in the pre-trials...

CTRS Rankings

04-17-17 10:48AM
nervous_times21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nervous_times21 Click here to Send nervous_times21 a Private Message Find more posts by nervous_times21 Add nervous_times21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nervous_times21
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think Carey got the 2-year CRTS spot over Fleury

04-17-17 01:46PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
According to Curling Canada's ranking, Fleury is through to the trials while Carey is in the pre-trials...

CTRS Rankings

Incorrect. Fleury is beating Carey in the current year points, but Carey has more in the two year spot. Remember, spots are filled in order. Homan, Jones, Flaxey, and Sweeting already qualified, so the 2 year spot goes to Carey. Fleury needed to win the Players in order to get enough points to pass Carey in the 2 year spot. If Scheidegger had passed Sweeting in the current year standings, then Casey would have gotten the 2017 Scotties spot, Val would have taken the 2 year spot, and Chelsea would have been in the pre-trials.

If there were no more events played:

2015 Canada Cup winner - Homan
2016 Scotties - Jones (replaced Carey)
2016 Canada Cup - Flaxey (replaced Jones)
2017 Scotties - Sweeting (replaced Homan)
CTRS 2015-17 - Carey
CTRS 2016-17 - Scheidegger
CTRS 2016-17 - Englot

04-17-17 02:06PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Fleury can still pass Carey in the 2 year spot next season though.

04-17-17 02:32PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

Do the two-year rankings mean the curling seasons of 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 or results from the 24 months prior to the ROTR pre-qualifying event in PEI?

04-17-17 05:34PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner
Fleury can still pass Carey in the 2 year spot next season though.

Nope. The cutoff is May 1st or 5th, 2017, depending on which Curl Canada release is correct. The first seven teams for the ROTR will be selected next month. The 12 teams for the RTTR will be shown right after. How a team starts the 2017-18 season has no bearing on the standings.

04-17-17 06:56PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

Why does it say Flaxey gets in cause she won the Canada Cup when she wasn't even there?

04-17-17 07:08PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy
If there were no more events played:
2015 Canada Cup winner - Homan
2016 Scotties - Jones (replaced Carey)
2016 Canada Cup - Flaxey (replaced Jones)
2017 Scotties - Sweeting (replaced Homan)
CTRS 2015-17 - Carey
CTRS 2016-17 - Scheidegger
CTRS 2016-17 - Englot

maybe I am thick - but if there was a birth to ROTR from the 2016 Scotties and Carey won that Grand Prairie event - uhm... how come Jones name is beside that berth. I am sure there is a reason.

Also, who is in contention for RTTR - since that will be announced in a few weeks, I am wondering who is on the cusp of making it.

04-18-17 10:24AM
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Why does it say Flaxey gets in cause she won the Canada Cup when she wasn't even there?

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

maybe I am thick - but if there was a birth to ROTR from the 2016 Scotties and Carey won that Grand Prairie event - uhm... how come Jones name is beside that berth. I am sure there is a reason.

Also, who is in contention for RTTR - since that will be announced in a few weeks, I am wondering who is on the cusp of making it.

Read this: http://www.tsn.ca/qualifying-for-th...trials-1.608939

Then, click the link on the page to read this: http://www.curling.ca/team-canada/2...cation-process/

If those still don't help, then read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_..._Curling_Trials

04-18-17 12:40PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

Then, click the link on the page to read this: http://www.curling.ca/team-canada/2...cation-process/

If those still don't help, then read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_..._Curling_Trials

But shouldn't it be the next highest placing team at the CC not already in, cause it looks really weird to say Flaxey when they weren't even there, plus don't they do this with the TOH.

04-18-17 12:59PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Thanks Squiggs.
And I assume this list: http://www.curling.ca/team-canada/c...tandings-women/ gives us the final 12 for Charlottetown - down to #19... unless something changes over the next couple of weeks.

I get that if an event-based berth is forfeited by an already-qualified team that it should go to the next in CTRS standings rather than a runner-up at the event. Points are hard-earned, event performance can be flash-in-the-pan. The only exception to this is the Scotties and Brier, I guess, should the champion go to the Olympics - the runner-up becomes Team Canada - No? But it is different than the other big curling.ca events, I guess, and does not impact on entry into OlyTrials.

04-18-17 12:59PM
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:

But shouldn't it be the next highest placing team at the CC not already in, cause it looks really weird to say Flaxey when they weren't even there, plus don't they do this with the TOH.

In the words of Michael Scott, "NO! God. No. God, please .... no. No! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

It's right on the links I sent you. "This trials berth will be replaced by the highest unqualified team on the 2016-17 CTRS at the conclusion of the season"

Homan is slot one. Jones is slot two. Jones won the Canada Cup. Because Jones is already slot two, you look at the 2016-17 CTRS standings. The standings are 1. Homan (slot one) 2. Jones (slot two) 3. Flaxey

Flaxey is the highest unqualified team on the 2016-17 CTRS at the conclusion of the season. It has absolutley nothing to do with whether they played in the Canada Cup or not. It doesn't matter what they do for Team Canada at the STOH. This isn't rocket science. It's not even a puzzle. It's just following directions and simple logic.

04-18-17 01:14PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

In the words of Michael Scott, "NO! God. No. God, please .... no. No! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

It's right on the links I sent you. "This trials berth will be replaced by the highest unqualified team on the 2016-17 CTRS at the conclusion of the season"

Homan is slot one. Jones is slot two. Jones won the Canada Cup. Because Jones is already slot two, you look at the 2016-17 CTRS standings. The standings are 1. Homan (slot one) 2. Jones (slot two) 3. Flaxey

Flaxey is the highest unqualified team on the 2016-17 CTRS at the conclusion of the season. It has absolutley nothing to do with whether they played in the Canada Cup or not. It doesn't matter what they do for Team Canada at the STOH. This isn't rocket science. It's not even a puzzle. It's just following directions and simple logic.

I know what it is, I'm saying it doesn't really make sense if you want someone from the CC, but don't actually have someone from the CC, instead you then go by the rankings, so then the CC becomes meaningless.

Last edited by Stoner on 04-18-17 at 01:17PM

04-18-17 01:36PM
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:

I know what it is, I'm saying it doesn't really make sense if you want someone from the CC, but don't actually have someone from the CC, you then go by the rankings, so then the CC becomes meaningless.

You need to lay off the drugs. It makes perfect sense. It's not meaningless, if the winner is different than the previous slots. It's how Carruthers got their spot. If you win it, you're in. If you've already got a spot, then it goes to the highest team on the tour. This gives the spot to someone that performed well over an entire year. If it went to the next highest person, then Kerri Einarson would have gotten the spot for having a 3-3 record. Do you really think that Kerri deserves a spot for having a 3-3 record? I sure don't.

The 2017 Scotties berth could have been awarded to the 4th place finisher, if the top three teams already had a spot. The ROTR is supposed to be the best teams. The 4th place finisher at the Scotties or Brier shouldn't get a spot, just for finishing 4th. This is what happened at the 2005 trials, and you had guys like Jay Peachey and Shawn Adams getting direct berths. Peachey won a tie breaker at the 2004 Brier to get his berth. I can't find how Adams or Cotter made it in. They made big changes to the qualification process after that year.

04-18-17 01:46PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

You need to lay off the drugs. It makes perfect sense. It's not meaningless, if the winner is different than the previous slots. It's how Carruthers got their spot. If you win it, you're in. If you've already got a spot, then it goes to the highest team on the tour. This gives the spot to someone that performed well over an entire year. If it went to the next highest person, then Kerri Einarson would have gotten the spot for having a 3-3 record. Do you really think that Kerri deserves a spot for having a 3-3 record? I sure don't.

The 2017 Scotties berth could have been awarded to the 4th place finisher, if the top three teams already had a spot. The ROTR is supposed to be the best teams. The 4th place finisher at the Scotties or Brier shouldn't get a spot, just for finishing 4th. This is what happened at the 2005 trials, and you had guys like Jay Peachey and Shawn Adams getting direct berths. Peachey won a tie breaker at the 2004 Brier to get his berth. I can't find how Adams or Cotter made it in. They made big changes to the qualification process after that year.

Oh yeah, really mature, if you knew anything you would know my name has nothing to do with drugs. It's totally meaningless if it's done by rankings and not by the event, if it was done by the event then Einarson should/would get that spot, but they don't, so it's therefore meaningless, pretty simple logic there. 2 Things, the CC is supposed to be a very difficult event with not many teams, so yes 3-3 is acceptable, but not only that, they won a TB to get into the SF.

Last edited by Stoner on 04-18-17 at 01:57PM

04-18-17 02:25PM
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:

Oh yeah, really mature, if you knew anything you would know my name has nothing to do with drugs. It's totally meaningless if it's done by rankings and not by the event, if it was done by the event then Einarson should/would get that spot, but they don't, so it's therefore meaningless, pretty simple logic there. 2 Things, the CC is supposed to be a very difficult event with not many teams, so yes 3-3 is acceptable, but not only that, they won a TB to get into the SF.

At this point I assume you are just trolling. No one can be that dense.

I don't see how hard it is to figure out. If you win the Canada Cup you get in. The event is not meaningless, as if you don't already have a spot, you can get one for winning. The reason they don't just give it to the next in line from the event, is if a few teams decline to go to the Canada Cup, and then some terrible team goes 3-3 and gets in. Look at the 2010 men's Canada Cup. Serge Reid, Matt Camm, Rob Fowler, Brent Bawel were all there. You're telling me one of those guys should have the possibility of getting in for going 3-3? That's horrific.

If they had worded the 3rd berth as, "Top 2016-17 CTRS team not already qualified, unless the winner of the 2016 Canada Cup has not already qualified, then then Canada Cup winner receives this spot", would it make you happier? You're basically arguing over semantics, or arguing for the sake of arguing. Curl Canada is giving a berth for the top team on tour, unless someone wins the spot before by winning the Canada Cup.

04-18-17 02:57PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

quote:

It makes perfect sense. It's not meaningless, if the winner is different than the previous slots. It's how Carruthers got their spot. If you win it, you're in. If you've already got a spot, then it goes to the highest team on the tour. This gives the spot to someone that performed well over an entire year. If it went to the next highest person, then Kerri Einarson would have gotten the spot for having a 3-3 record. Do you really think that Kerri deserves a spot for having a 3-3 record? I sure don't.

Good explanation and I totally agree with the changes CCA made after the last trials. Giving a berth to the highest ranked team makes sense and I do think when you have a good year on tour... a team deserves any rewards. So far the system seems good and that doesn't happen very often.

I agree that giving a berth to a second, third or fourth ranked team in an event can be harmful... not to say that it can't be good, just that it has a greater chance of being bad... but giving a berth to a team that has proven success over an entire year is a lot smarter.

05-01-17 05:24PM
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

The 7 women's teams for the ROTR have been finalized. The first number below is the Olympic seed, and the bracketed number is the 2016-17 standing.

1 (1) Homan
2 (2) Jones
3 (3) Flaxey
4 (4) Sweeting
5 (9) Carey
6 (5) Scheidegger
7 (6) Englot

05-01-17 05:30PM
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

Since the direct berths into the pre-trials were all won by teams that qualified directly to the ROTR, the first 10 teams are the top 10 teams on the 2016-17 CTRS, not already in the trials.

1. Fleury
2. Middaugh
3. Harrison
4. Tippin
5. Rocque
6. Einarson
7. McCarville
8. Kleibrink
9. Chyz
10 Thompson

Spots 11 & 12 go to two year CTRS points leaders, not already qualified. They are:
11. Robertson
12. Meilleur

I don't know if any of these teams are breaking up, reorganizing, and/or staying together. If there are no changes, those should be the 12 teams at the pre-trials.

05-01-17 06:31PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

Since Squiggsy is spreading misinformation here. I'm going to do it again

1. Winners 2014 Home Hardware Canada Cup : Fleury
2. Highest ranked team on the 2014–15 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Middaugh
3. Highest ranked team on the 2015–16 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Einarson
4. Highest ranked team on the 2015–16 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Rocque
5. Highest ranked team on the 2015–16 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: McCarville (Think Lawton has had a new team since so she shouldn't get a spot)
6. Highest ranked team on the 2015–16 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Harrison
7. Highest ranked team on the 2016–17 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Tippin
8. Highest ranked team on the 2016–17 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Kleibrink
9. Highest ranked team on the 2016–17 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Chyz
10. Highest ranked team on the 2016–17 CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Thompson
11. Highest ranked team on the 2015–17 (two years) CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Robertson
12. Highest ranked team on the 2015–17 (two years) CTRS not already qualified for the Trials or Pre-Trials: Meilleur

Here's something: Karla Thompson's performance at the European Masters got her a spot just over Shannon Birchard.