Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 21 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-24-13 02:50PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Mens world curling Championship

well the the completion of the womens world championship we come to the last major televised event of the year. It just seems like the whole season has gone by so fast doesnt it? its unreal really

anyway here's the field:

canada - brad jacobs
china - rui liu
czech republic - jiri snitil
denmark - rasmus stjerne
finland - aku kauste
japan - yusuke morozumi
norway - thomas ulsrud
scotland - tom brewster
switzerland - sven michel
russia - andrey drzdov
sweden - niklas edin
united states - brady clark

My pre-liminary thoughts:

1. Its a very familiar field with alot of returning teams. Seems strange not to see a german team here..or a french team. In their place we have russia and finland.

2.I dont expect finland to really be much of a factor. Russia could surprise alot of people. This team went 5-4 at the euros and have had a solid cash season. I think the russian team is the one i am most interested in. How will they do at russi's first ever mens worlds?

3. I dont think team jacobs has the ability to dominate a round robin like a stoughton, martin or howard can so i think we'll be seeing something more even this year. Will they win? im not really sure yet. They can win but the fact that this is not a team that is a level above everyone else like what the men usually send makes it harder to say.

4. switzerland, china and the US will need strong performances to get direct spots to the olympics. Sven michel has been underwhelming in his 2 european performances and he doesnt seem to do well on canadian soil when he travels over here so i can definately see him struggling and failing to get switzerland that spot. China has the inside track among the 3 ..i think they are actually in already but im not sure. They looked good on the cash tour recently but they always do and then they fall short at worlds. The US..i think they will struggle and i dont think they'll do enough to get the US the spot

my final 4 prediction:

canada
norway
sweden
denmark

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-24-13 06:46PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the thing with china is that every year since 2008 when they got to the bronze game they've been non factors. They have come in off a hot cash spiel season and still done nothing. I fail to see why this year it will be any different.

03-24-13 07:12PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Cool

In alphabetical order:

Canada

Norway

Scotland

Sweden

With handshakes all around

03-25-13 10:17AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Interesting that both Liu and Edin are going into the Worlds coming off wins in Canadian events that had solid fields.

03-25-13 10:34AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

what no German team?

okay so Andy Kapp never cut the mustard this year, strange because in the past men's worlds Germany was represented by somebody? I see many of you have posted their own predictions for the final '4' to be?

03-25-13 10:41AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

forgot to mention this earlier ...

yes cannot recall PAST years men's worlds WITH ALL SCANDINAVIAN TEAMS ARE PLAYING , Denmark, Sweden, Finland and ofcourse Norway....very interesting no team from countries like Australia, or NEW ZEALAND .

03-25-13 11:03AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Re: what no German team?

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
okay so Andy Kapp never cut the mustard this year, strange because in the past men's worlds Germany was represented by somebody? I see many of you have posted their own predictions for the final '4' to be?

andy kapp retired in 2011

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.163.53.10

03-25-13 11:08AM
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

dam say it aint so Kapp retired...

well the German curling scene must be quiet silent thesedays or what?.. does anyone know how good their junior curling program is? ..my guess is with the aging population over in Germany (here to ) perhaps interest has waned abit? DON'T REALLY KNOW WHY?

03-25-13 11:50AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: dam say it aint so Kapp retired...

quote:
well the German curling scene must be quiet silent thesedays or what?.. does anyone know how good their junior curling program is? ..my guess is with the aging population over in Germany (here to ) perhaps interest has waned abit? DON'T REALLY KNOW WHY?

Yep, Andy retired. His old team did stay intact so I was stunned when they went 1-8 at the euros. I knew andy was a huge key to the germans success over the years but i had no idea the vacuum it would create when he retired

To answer your question the programs in germany arent great. There's not alot of interest in the sport. Most of the funding and real attention goes to what i like to call the big 5 of the german sports which includes soccer and skiing.

The future for the women is a little brighter. They have daniela dreindl coming up who seems like she'll be a solid replacement for andrea once she steps down. They also have a girls team skipped by aylin lutz that i think will be quite good. There's also ofcourese the youngsters andrea has with her now. Assuming they stick with it they could be good

its bleak for the men though. Herberg/lang combination just doesnt seem to work well at all without andy and johnny jahr skips a team but they arent top level. Alexander baumann. a former strong junior has returned to the scene and he has a solid team but i doubt he is the replacement for andy the men are looking for. Daniel neuner had a team but he dropped off to curl with herberg and lang and i dont know what the rest of his old team is doing. In short the mens curling in germany looks like a dieing sport

Im with you on how confusing it is that interest in germany is so low. They have had amazing teams come and go for the men (roger gustaf schmidt, andy kapp and keith wendorf)and women(janet strayer, andrea schopp, almut hege). They have shown they can compete and win the big titles, having gold in every major discipline except mens world and olympics. I just dont get it

Last edited by misty1 on 03-25-13 at 11:57AM

03-25-13 12:00PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

Re: forgot to mention this earlier ...

quote:
yes cannot recall PAST years men's worlds WITH ALL SCANDINAVIAN TEAMS ARE PLAYING , Denmark, Sweden, Finland and ofcourse Norway....very interesting no team from countries like Australia, or NEW ZEALAND .

If curling is going to grow at all in the Asia-Pacific region I'd rather see it develop in places like China, Japan and Korea than elsewhere.

03-25-13 12:30PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: forgot to mention this earlier ...

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad

If curling is going to grow at all in the Asia-Pacific region I'd rather see it develop in places like China, Japan and Korea than elsewhere.

why the preference?

03-25-13 03:21PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: forgot to mention this earlier ...

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

why the preference?

Economically the most important counties in the region and I think where the game is more likely to spread.

03-25-13 03:28PM
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

thanks Misty1 for that info.....

yep curling is fast becoming popular in mostly well developed established nations , hardly think for a moment that the Cubans will spear head a curling program in their country, if they do I shall volunteer my services....

03-25-13 04:23PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: forgot to mention this earlier ...

quote:

Aussie and NZ qualify out of Pacific Asia and Japan and China are the reps from that area this year.

03-25-13 04:28PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: thanks Misty1 for that info.....

quote:
yep curling is fast becoming popular in mostly well developed established nations , hardly think for a moment that the Cubans will spear head a curling program in their country, if they do I shall volunteer my services....

In 2008, Brazil challenged the US for one of the two Americas spot in the 2009 worlds. Don't thing that they have mounted a challenge since.

03-25-13 04:32PM
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

Re: Re: thanks Misty1 for that info.....

quote:
Originally posted by decade

In 2008, Brazil challenged the US for one of the two Americas spot in the 2009 worlds. Don't thing that they have mounted a challenge since.

excellent can you imagine those "Brazilian" beauties dressed in curling attire what have you, yep change the heart of every hot blooded male for sure to watch curling hhahaah

03-25-13 04:33PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

Re: Mens world curling Championship

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
here's the field:

canada - brad jacobs
china - rui liu
czech republic - jiri snitil
denmark - rasmus stjerne
finland - aku kauste
japan - yusuke morozumi
norway - thomas ulsrud
scotland - tom brewster
switzerland - sven michel
russia - andrey drzdov
sweden - niklas edin
united states - brady clark

my final 4 prediction:

canada
norway
sweden
denmark

I'm not familiar with all these European teams but I think Canada ( home ice ), Sweden ( just won an event ), and Scotland ( lots of experience ) will make top 4. Norway wasn't that great last year, so I'm not sure what happens to the other spot. Nobody jumps out at me either so maybe Norway plays well enough to make it. Wild card is China;, normally I'd write them off but they won an event recently.

Lot of tier two looking teams this year; shouldn't be too hard for top teams to make playoffs. I'm thinking Scotland vs Canada in the final. Eden of course dangerous opponent, so making 1-2 game is important.

03-25-13 05:04PM
greenroad
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Mens world curling Championship

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Lot of tier two looking teams this year; shouldn't be too hard for top teams to make playoffs. I'm thinking Scotland vs Canada in the final. Eden of course dangerous opponent, so making 1-2 game is important.

Which Brad are we going to see - the guy that played in the Brier RR or the one in the Brier playoffs?

03-25-13 05:12PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

I'm really curious to see how the blended team out of Scotland works. Brewster's team was really good in 2011 and even better in 2012 in two silver-medal performances. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" Will be interesting to see what impact Murdoch's addition has on the team, they certainly weren't very successful at the European Championships.

03-25-13 05:22PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Mens world curling Championship

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

I'm not familiar with all these European teams but I think Canada ( home ice ), Sweden ( just won an event ), and Scotland ( lots of experience ) will make top 4. Norway wasn't that great last year, so I'm not sure what happens to the other spot. Nobody jumps out at me either so maybe Norway plays well enough to make it. Wild card is China;, normally I'd write them off but they won an event recently.

Scotland is a big if for me. Ever since david joined the team their results have really fallen off. Maybe its a chemistry issue? i dont know but they looked really bad at the euros

Norway has really struggled in the last few worlds. They have had slow starts ..something pla trulsen was famous for. They are still one of the best though and i dont think there are enough teams here to beat them to cost them a playoff spot

Real wild card for me is Denmark. Best team to come out of that country really. They were decent last year and i think they'll be better with a year of experience under their belt

switzerland is another wild card. he beats enough of the teir 2 teams but they never beat the top teams and they'll have to figure out how to

03-25-13 10:41PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Scotland better hope that was a little blip in the system in Victoria last weekend. Otherwise, they will be a non factor.

Sweden and Norway might be the only real serious threats to Canada, more so Sweden.

While it won't be cruise control for Jacobs, he should be able to get to the playoffs without too much problems.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.159.24

03-26-13 01:36AM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

Edin is the only serious threat to Jacobs this year I am thinking. Hard to count Brewster out but I dont see him being a big threat to win like the last 2 years. His form just hasnt been that good lately. Ulsrud's best days are behind him IMO. Could see the Chinese surprising some people, they are a good up and coming team I think.

03-26-13 10:07AM
Flatfoot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flatfoot Click here to Send Flatfoot a Private Message Find more posts by Flatfoot Add Flatfoot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flatfoot
Harvey Hacksmasher

Does anyone know if they will be using the new CCA rocks that were rolled out at the juniors and the brier this year ?

03-26-13 10:28AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Yes, Hans says they will be fine.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports...ionship-1.98149

03-26-13 01:12PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Yes, Hans says they will be fine.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports...ionship-1.98149

Interesting that they rematched the rocks. Isn't that a tacit admission that the issues being raised at the Brier about inconsistencies within each set were correct?