Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Greg Stremlaw leaving Curling Canada - and now the rest of the story

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
06-10-15 12:04PM
ExPat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExPat Click here to Send ExPat a Private Message Find more posts by ExPat Add ExPat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExPat
Knee-Slider

Greg Stremlaw leaving Curling Canada - and now the rest of the story

so what is the real story here? I have some real conflicting stories coming from north of the border. Anyone?

Let's find out the truth so we don' have to read anymore diatribe press releases.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-10-15 12:12PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

All I hope is his replacement is a curler - preferably a competitive player like a Neil Houston. Stemlaw was not a curler and it showed in many of his decisions.

06-10-15 03:53PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

And who will replace Warren Hansen? Manitoba Legend? Someone with a good understanding of competitive curling and event management.

06-10-15 06:16PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Actually, IMO Neil Houston would be an excellent choice for either position. However, and I'm presuming that he's even interested in either one, I would prefer to see him take Stemlaw's job and another competitive player - with their head screwed on right-fill Mrs. Hansen's spot. I could see someone with a Rick Folk or Russ Howard demeanor fitting the bill here.

06-11-15 12:20PM
TeeMan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TeeMan Click here to Send TeeMan a Private Message Find more posts by TeeMan Add TeeMan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TeeMan
Knee-Slider

I hear a rumour that our esteemed CEO was found by his WCF counterparts passed out in the hotel lobby after a night of too man beers.

My source is pretty good but of course doesn't want to go on record - so just a rumour. From what is going around he got 'lower decked' and then proceeded to have a few beers with some female university students and some players.

Hard to hide that one when your face is all over the media and you pass out in a curling hotel during a world championship.

06-11-15 02:25PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by TeeMan
I hear a rumour that our esteemed CEO was found by his WCF counterparts passed out in the hotel lobby after a night of too man beers.

My source is pretty good but of course doesn't want to go on record - so just a rumour. From what is going around he got 'lower decked' and then proceeded to have a few beers with some female university students and some players.

Hard to hide that one when your face is all over the media and you pass out in a curling hotel during a world championship.

Well that may explain his "resignation", surprised about Warren too, he seemed to be embedded with curling canada for life!

06-11-15 03:19PM
ExPat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExPat Click here to Send ExPat a Private Message Find more posts by ExPat Add ExPat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExPat
Knee-Slider

glad to hear the truth is getting out. I have done some calling to some current prov board members and from the rumblings I have been privy to there are pictures of the Saviour of our Sport passed out in the lounge - what an embarrassment to the sport.

I have also heard rumours that his was not his first dust-up with alcohol, he has actually missed board meetings before as he was too under the weather from the previous nights broohaha to get out of bed. I believe I was told 2010 Halifax. Crazy. 2x Halifax.

I am simple bewildered the current board has let him 'resign' with a window to find another job while you curlers up there in Canada still pay his salary.

06-11-15 09:41PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by ExPat
glad to hear the truth is getting out. I have done some calling to some current prov board members and from the rumblings I have been privy to there are pictures of the Saviour of our Sport passed out in the lounge - what an embarrassment to the sport.

I have also heard rumours that his was not his first dust-up with alcohol, he has actually missed board meetings before as he was too under the weather from the previous nights broohaha to get out of bed. I believe I was told 2010 Halifax. Crazy. 2x Halifax.

I am simple bewildered the current board has let him 'resign' with a window to find another job while you curlers up there in Canada still pay his salary.

Seriously Mr Ex-Pat? So he had a few wobbly pops and got silly. Who the **** cares about that? I hardly doubt your own slate is ivory snow. I know mine isn't. So do us all a favor and keep your muck racking Innuendo to yourself. $5 bucks says your own life isn't any purer. No one's is. Men or women.

Let's keep this to what matters. I don't care about this other crap unless it broke laws. I only care about the betterment of the game. And IMHO Stemlaw made bad decisions and that's why he should resign.

Not because your tender sensibilities are offended because the man MAY have had some more drinks.

yessh. What a prima Donna.

Last edited by jamcan on 06-11-15 at 09:43PM

06-13-15 05:01PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Houston has worked for the CCA for at least 10 yrs as Event Manager at different S of C events, and the Vancouver Olympics. He was groomed by Warren though but maybe he has developed his own managerial style.

06-13-15 06:43PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by TeeMan

Many a good man has been "Lower Decked" and left a broken man on a Halifax pier, maybe he's the last of Curling Canada's Privateers. He wishes he was in Sherbrooke now!!

"Stan Rogers"

06-14-15 02:02PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
quite surprising -- both Hansen and Stremislaw were around for a lot of major changes in curling -- certainly they must be partly responsible for the great and extensive coverage of the top players -- wont be easy to replace them in my opinion ..

Yes, there is more money, government and corporate, coming into the game and you can give some of the credit to both men. But there is a huge downside here. These new parties have a huge influence on decision making and it rarely comes from people with a background or even knowledge of the sport.

Competitive participation across the country continues to drop, more clubs are closing than new ones being built, a corporation now controls the WCT not the curlers, there are fewer cash spiels and less overall money than 20 years ago, curling remains a Caucasian sport and is not reaching out to attract the diverse multi cultures in our land, junior involvement keeps plummeting, an ugly sense of entitlement and elitism has crept into the competitive community and the list goes on and on.

And that's without even raising the ugly spectre of the relegation fiasco. An issue, I suspect, which may have had a great deal to do with both men deciding to get while the getting is good.

The next two years, IMO, will foretell how history will judge both men's reign. But a wonderful opportunity has now arisen with their departures. The CCA can give the game back to the curlers. Put more effort into rebuilding the grassroots to rebuild the talent pool, market the sport to new people and hopefully take a long, hard look at the coaching structure with a new emphasis on more instruction at the beginner and junior level and less on the competitive.

IMO the first positive step is to quickly discard the Curling Canada brand. We are not a corporation but an association stretching across this country to encompass and involve every association, club and member. Let's toss out this marketing maneuver and remind those in charge who we really are.

The challenge is there. Let's see if those we chose to represent us will now step in and do the right things.

Last edited by jamcan on 06-14-15 at 02:14PM

06-15-15 02:57PM
Skipman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skipman Click here to Send Skipman a Private Message Visit Skipman's homepage! Find more posts by Skipman Add Skipman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skipman
Harvey Hacksmasher

I wrote a column in the Ottawa Sun on Wednesday December 4, 2013 from Winnipeg wherein Warren Hansen said he would be retired before the next Trials happened. It wasn't a surprise that after 42 years he would retire.

06-16-15 02:05PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

I just wonder how well set up Curl Canada is to hire replacements. I think the directors including officers are basically volunteers and wonder how much time and expertise they have to hire the right people. I would normally have thought most work and decisions made by executive director and Warren although many would be ostensibly made by the board or the executive. It would have been better to find replacements at the end of last curling season.

06-18-15 11:58AM
cornerblitz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cornerblitz Find more posts by cornerblitz Add cornerblitz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cornerblitz
Knee-Slider

All I know is that Stremlaw was a class act and if anyone looks at where the CCA was in 2007 and looks at it today, it is an unbelievable accomplishment.
I don't know the man well at all, but I do follow the CCA a lot and his leadership will be next to impossible to replace.
The CCA is where it is today because of all the changes this guy made.
Need we forget the CBC debacle, the near bankrupt state CCA was in and the public outrage before he arrived!! Wow, what a difference now.
I we will take awesome TSN coverage, Olympic champions and from what I can see over the years on their website, some impressive financial success anyday.
Let's hope CCA can have half as much success in the future as they will need help.

My bet is on an outsider, likely not from curling? Not sure. I know a few people that will apply, but my money is on a marketing person that knows the ropes of business. They have to be careful not to stray too far from all the success they have had, but must get back to basics with kids in the sport.

06-19-15 10:15PM
OverAndOut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OverAndOut Click here to Send OverAndOut a Private Message Find more posts by OverAndOut Add OverAndOut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OverAndOut
Harvey Hacksmasher

While I think Greg Stremlaw has proven to have been a worthy replacement for Dave Parkes, a change in command at this time can be a good thing. What he was hired to do has been done ... spectacularly. He was a great mechanic. But now curling needs a visionary.

Looking back, he brought professionalism to the organization with his changes to its governance. Importantly, he also oversaw a return to financial stability. And he did not get torpedoed by Warren Hansen or the WCF (... undoubtedly no small feat).

Fresh eyes and a fresh mind going forward can perhaps best affect today's and tomorrow's issues, like ...

i. how can live attendance at major events be revitalized?
ii. how can curling get into everyday conversation and regrow/rekindle its media presence?
iii. how can the sport's participants today/tomorrow be convinced to compete?

It seems that there has become an ever narrowing focus on winning (gold) medals. The structure of funding and restructuring of events reflect this. But is this good for the overall health and underpinning passion of the sport, and its long term growth and development.

06-20-15 12:27PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by cornerblitz
All I know is that Stremlaw was a class act and if anyone looks at where the CCA was in 2007 and looks at it today, it is an unbelievable accomplishment.
I don't know the man well at all, but I do follow the CCA a lot and his leadership will be next to impossible to replace.
The CCA is where it is today because of all the changes this guy made.
Need we forget the CBC debacle, the near bankrupt state CCA was in and the public outrage before he arrived!! Wow, what a difference now.
I we will take awesome TSN coverage, Olympic champions and from what I can see over the years on their website, some impressive financial success anyday.
Let's hope CCA can have half as much success in the future as they will need help.

My bet is on an outsider, likely not from curling? Not sure. I know a few people that will apply, but my money is on a marketing person that knows the ropes of business. They have to be careful not to stray too far from all the success they have had, but must get back to basics with kids in the sport.

Did he dig the CCA out of a horrible television deal? Yes. He has my props for that. Did he increase the CCA bottom line? Yes, but at the cost of allowing greater influence from outside parties in what should be internal decision making.

We also have an entrenched bureaucracy that is alienating the clubs across this country. And let's not give him credit for Olympic champions. The man never threw a competitive stone in his life. The curlers earned the medals and would have done so regardless of who is in charge.

He did very little compared to the career of Hansen, who leaves big shoes to fill. And as I listed in a previous post there's far more work to be done that should have been addressed in Stemlaw's reign.

The man only did a few good things, not many. History will prove me right on this. I just hope we have a replacement who will right this ship before it capsizes.

06-20-15 02:08PM
prairiedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairiedog Find more posts by prairiedog Add prairiedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairiedog
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Good post. I would place the following allocation criteria on this job.

Marketing acumen - 35%
Business/Leadership - 45%
Curling knowledge - 20%

I'm not talking about silly curling knowledge like I have (ie. history, personalities, legends)
more about basic knowledge of how the curling community runs - from basic zones, regional qualifiers, cash spiels in certain curling heavy areas, various qualifying criteria, basic curling politics, important leaders in the game, etc.)

I think you have a nice breakdown here. Tough to say as it will be up to the Board of the day who detemriens what is most important, but I like this mix Legend.

I work in another sport. While I tried to secure a job with our Provincial Curling body, I remain in the industry, but still trying to find the fit for me in curling.

I find it way too easy to make assumptions of what a CEO role does well or not, but I can say that being in the industry, I know for a fact that Stremlaw is revered by many in other sports. The role he plays and what he has done in my personal view is amazing. It is very easy to criticize leaders, but I can say that in my role I know people that I work for that feel he is one of the sharpeest business minds in sport in Canada.
I wish him luck as he brought a lot of class and professionalized all the CCA stands for.

Respectfully, I agree that winning Olympic medals is not one person's role. But, to be so naiive as to think that because a person does not throw rocks means they had no role in Olympic success is way off base.
You have to hire the best; recruit coaches; apply for funding; build a plan; and orchestrate it.
Our athletes have been good for a long long time. But, only last year did we finally take over the first place ranking in the world for men's as well as women's curling at the same time. Plus Canada repeated it this year. This takes prudent management in my experience and is unheralded.

I also don't understand why some like to compare Hansen and Stremlaw? Makes no sense and not what the future is about. Two different people; two different roles; and one spent almost 50 years in the sport (Hansen), while the other made unprecented change and allowed the sport to survive and now thrive under his tenure (Stremlaw).
Stremlaw got the cash solidified so the next leader can now focus on clubs and youth programs.
I wish them both well.

06-20-15 04:36PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by prairiedog

I think you have a nice breakdown here. Tough to say as it will be up to the Board of the day who detemriens what is most important, but I like this mix Legend.

I work in another sport. While I tried to secure a job with our Provincial Curling body, I remain in the industry, but still trying to find the fit for me in curling.

I find it way too easy to make assumptions of what a CEO role does well or not, but I can say that being in the industry, I know for a fact that Stremlaw is revered by many in other sports. The role he plays and what he has done in my personal view is amazing. It is very easy to criticize leaders, but I can say that in my role I know people that I work for that feel he is one of the sharpeest business minds in sport in Canada.
I wish him luck as he brought a lot of class and professionalized all the CCA stands for.

Respectfully, I agree that winning Olympic medals is not one person's role. But, to be so naiive as to think that because a person does not throw rocks means they had no role in Olympic success is way off base.
You have to hire the best; recruit coaches; apply for funding; build a plan; and orchestrate it.
Our athletes have been good for a long long time. But, only last year did we finally take over the first place ranking in the world for men's as well as women's curling at the same time. Plus Canada repeated it this year. This takes prudent management in my experience and is unheralded.

I also don't understand why some like to compare Hansen and Stremlaw? Makes no sense and not what the future is about. Two different people; two different roles; and one spent almost 50 years in the sport (Hansen), while the other made unprecented change and allowed the sport to survive and now thrive under his tenure (Stremlaw).
Stremlaw got the cash solidified so the next leader can now focus on clubs and youth programs.
I wish them both well.

I don't begrudge his financial accomplishments. However as someone who claims, as you did in this post, to work in sport then you know that money is not the only measurement of success in sports.

The true measure is participation. It doesn't matter how much the CCA is in the black or what our medal count and world ranking is if there are fewer people playing. And that is where the numbers are trending-downwards. And I really don't see much in Stemlaws time to try and halt this.

Had the man only been around for a couple of years and made his focus righting the financial ship I'd be singing high praises indeed. Except he's had the job for over 8 years and righting the ship financially should have only taken half that tenure.

But enough belaboring his time. I'll let history be the judge. Of greater importance is Stemlaw's replacement. A person with solid business acumen balanced with a well-rounded curling background is what is needed. Someone who understands the curling related challenges to stop the downward trend and get people back in clubs.

The competitive game can take care of itself for a while. Time to start rebuilding the grass roots.

06-20-15 04:37PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

I don't think people are comparing Hansen and Stremlaw. It is just that they were probably the two most dominant figures in Curl Canada and they would have had input in selection of the replacements if they were still going to be around.

06-20-15 08:26PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

One of your bolder statements ML..let's what happens,

06-20-15 10:40PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Seriously? Let's bring in another non curler? Legend, if that's the best you have go create another JJ thread...

06-23-15 08:36PM
OverAndOut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OverAndOut Click here to Send OverAndOut a Private Message Find more posts by OverAndOut Add OverAndOut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OverAndOut
Harvey Hacksmasher

Stremlaw was 36 in Oct 2007 when he took CCA job ... so he's 43.

06-23-15 09:25PM
OverAndOut
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
Seriously? Let's bring in another non curler? Legend, if that's the best you have go create another JJ thread...

Your ostrich perspective that the next CEO must be a curler is just as, no make that more ridiculous. As I recall, Stremlaw never purported to understand the curling culture -- so the 'curling' decisions you challenge ought not to be attributed solely, perhaps not even largely to him. With regard to the relegation issue, for example, I'd be much more inclined to think that WH was driving that bus. For sure, WH would have been unwavering on a 12-team field at major championships. That was his baby.

Rather than the focus being curler versus non-curler, the focus ought to be what is the next CEO's mandate. Then, and only then can we have a debate as to whether a 'curler' out there can fit the bill.

When Stremlaw was hired, Graham Prouse, selection committee chair indicated that the choice was based on need to get the CCA financially sound. He said, "Finances are our number one priority. There are so many things that our technical staff is ready to deliver, but we can't do that until we're financially very solid." That being the fact, I'd suggest that Stremlaw merits high praise -- and with his mission accomplished, the next chapter needs the next best-fit candidate.

06-23-15 09:48PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

Personally, I'd rather have someone with at least a bit of knowledge of the game, and ideally has participated in it regularly at some level in their life. But I wouldn't necessarily exclude someone who didn't meet that criteria, if they are an outstanding candidate.

I do have a few concerns when it comes to someone like Mark Cohon... the big one being that the learning curve is going to be steep. The CFL is not at all similar to that of Curling Canada, with very different issues and different goals.

It's great that he might be able to find ways to get bums into the seats at our national events, but that's only a small part of the what Curling Canada should do. They also need to get folks into the clubs and build a healthy sport... the CFL may be in partnership with Football Canada, but developing the amateur side of the sport was not their mandate per se.

A lot depends on what role do you see a CEO having within Curling Canada. Which only the Board (and the Member Associations) can really define.

06-23-15 10:31PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Adam Silver never played much basketball and I don't think the NBA is suffering under his leadership.