Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-02-16 06:55PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by varnsey

What about Mark Bice??? It's basically the Tankard winning team 2 season ago without Balsdon....

Those were not my predictions. I responded then edited, but deleted all my comments in error.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-02-16 07:21PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

Ian Tetleys memory is a bit shaky... It wasn't 2009 that Brent Laing left the Howard team to be with his pregnant wife/girlfriend.. It was 2007 in Simcoe.. I guess Tetley doesn't remember he curled with Peter Corner at the 2009 tankard and not Wayne Middaugh

02-02-16 07:23PM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

Just a quick Q on the Ont playdowns. I find it quite puzzling to find 11 men's teams in the prov... and checking the women's there is only 10. Have the Ont men come up with some magical formula for playdowns where the odd number of 11 teams makes it better???

02-02-16 08:14PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

On fire

Epping on fire still. has stolen a total of 17 points in his first 3 games. he's barely even letting opponents on the board. If he can keep this up i like his chances even against glenn

of course the question is can they keep it up

02-02-16 08:39PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World
Ian Tetleys memory is a bit shaky... It wasn't 2009 that Brent Laing left the Howard team to be with his pregnant wife/girlfriend.. It was 2007 in Simcoe.. I guess Tetley doesn't remember he curled with Peter Corner at the 2009 tankard and not Wayne Middaugh

2007 Tankard was in Sarnia!

Anyway, Tetley is beginning to annoy with his "fantastic expertise and knowledge". He couldn't even pronounce Travis Fanset's name corretly.

Last edited by decade on 02-02-16 at 09:44PM

02-02-16 09:28PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingmad
Just a quick Q on the Ont playdowns. I find it quite puzzling to find 11 men's teams in the prov... and checking the women's there is only 10. Have the Ont men come up with some magical formula for playdowns where the odd number of 11 teams makes it better???

Playdown structure has and is changing, with the Scotties in Ontario more quickly than the Men.

With the Scotties, N.Ont. got its own entry just a few years ago, carving out some of the northern teams from the Ontario Scotties. The general collapse of playdown entries in general has hit the women sooner than the men.

So for 2016 the Ontario Scotties changed to two sets of double-knockout qualifiers for 8 teams and a returning champion and a CTRS leader for 10 teams. The proposal going forward is to have 8 teams.

The 2016 Tankard will be the last with 16 zones resulting in 4 regions giving 2 teams each to provincials plus 2 challenge round plus returning champion for 11 teams. The proposal going forward is for larger zones leading to larger regions with CTRS entries giving 3 teams each, a challenge round for 2 more teams, with these 8 going to provincials along with to CTRS entries for a total of 10 teams.

02-02-16 09:39PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Anyway, Tetley is beginning to annoy with his "fantastic exertise and knowledge". He couldn't even pronounce Travis Fanset's name corretly.

Time to ask me! I'll do a great job

02-02-16 10:14PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:

yep.. Not sure why I had simcoe on the brain...
Day 2 observations

1) Bices front end gave Squires quite a bit of unsolicited advice when Squires was in the hack... Guess they feel it's easier to do this to a young vice compared to the other Bice and Balsdon last year

2) Ive seen a skip or 2 pass on trying for a double..A double that Koe and Edin would attempt no problem and likely make

3) What will it say about the state of mens curling in Ontario if Mike Harris can make the playoffs

02-02-16 10:33PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by ngm

The 2016 Tankard will be the last with 16 zones resulting in 4 regions giving 2 teams each to provincials plus 2 challenge round plus returning champion for 11 teams. The proposal going forward is for larger zones leading to larger regions with CTRS entries giving 3 teams each, a challenge round for 2 more teams, with these 8 going to provincials along with to CTRS entries for a total of 10 teams.

Did you mean to say 4 Region winners (from 2 regions)?

Any insight on total numbers in playdowns this year? Any info on years past?

I'm working on an article and reached out to each provincial org to see what data they had. I managed to get in touch with all but 2 provinces, AB and Ontario.

02-02-16 10:40PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

3) What will it say about the state of mens curling in Ontario if Mike Harris can make the playoffs

It says in spite of almost 14 million people, Ontario like most provinces has just a few teams.

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 02-02-16 at 10:42PM

02-02-16 10:54PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

As to favourites for this Tankard. It's very much a no brainer. Epping is favoured with Howard second. Epping would no doubt not be entirely displeased if someone took care of Team Howard for him.

After that Team Bice has been having quite a good year on the secondary circuit. Balsdon's team has played a lot this year with mixed results but given how much work they've put in they have to be considered a contender for the playoffs.

Team Harris. For those of you with short memories, Mike Harris has long been one of the best skips in Ontario. Yes he had the misfortune in his prime of being in the shadow of Werenich, Howards/Middaugh, Middaugh, Howard, Howard/Middaugh. No shame there. He was nonetheless the kind of player who could beat anybody anytime. Just never had the team to beat everybody all the time is all. How many do?

02-03-16 10:20AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

back to ONtario ...

Love this

Glenn Howard .. 6-1 after 3 ends...against Frans

02-03-16 10:38AM
SooCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SooCurler Click here to Send SooCurler a Private Message Find more posts by SooCurler Add SooCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SooCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: back to ONtario ...

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
Love this

Glenn Howard .. 6-1 after 3 ends...against Frans

If you think the Frans (aka Bailey) rink is an actual threat to make the playoffs or even give Glenny an issue. Well, I got some great swamp land in Florida for you. Bailey bailed on them, didn't even think they would make the tankard and basically stood on his head to get them through regions. Frans doesn't want to skip and he lets their LEAD take over. Fanset is competent but not consistent. If Glenn gives up more than 4 to them this game I would be surprised. Hell, Harris made it look easy against them yesterday.

02-03-16 10:39AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

Good article on Harris on the TSN website. Love his quotes.

http://www.tsn.ca/harris-makes-retu...ydowns-1.429835

02-03-16 10:45AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Very Nice.. Thanks for the tip ... ^^^^

quote:
Harris, whose lone career Brier appearance came in 2004 at Saskatoon, has only played a handful of semi-competitive games in recent years but notes his team enters the Ontario playdowns on a 13-game winning streak.

"It'll be interesting at provincials for me to play two games a day for a full week to see how my body will hold up," Harris said in a recent interview.
"That's the challenge really. I think mentally, especially for me as a skip, mentally I've learned as much over the last 10 years commentating. I haven't really lost a beat there.

02-03-16 03:30PM
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

Al Galloway needs a day off.. He thinks Tim March is Patrick Janssen... He isn't sure which team has last rock half the time

Last edited by Rock Your World on 02-03-16 at 04:48PM

02-03-16 03:48PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Is there any way to watch this on Bell Fibe or stream it on the internet? It is not channel 369 with Bell Fibe TV

02-03-16 04:31PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Mike Harris

at... 5-1.. who saw that coming ?

02-03-16 04:47PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well..epping just got pasted 8-3. i suppose better to get your bad game out now instead of when it counts.i just hope it was only the bad game and not a coming down in their level. he's got the tougher teams coming up

02-03-16 05:00PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

The real Epping emerged in that game- whining about the ice. Ice conditions are the same for both teams- adjust or lose! give McLean/Higgs full credit.

02-03-16 05:02PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
The real Epping emerged in that game- whining about the ice. Ice conditions are the same for both teams- adjust or lose! give McLean/Higgs full credit.

i havent heard him get cranky like that to often before. like i said i hope didnt jinx them by saying how great they were doing. hopefully its one bad game out of their system

02-03-16 05:26PM
JB42
Drawmaster

The ice is the same for both teams without a doubt. That said I feel his pain.

After the New Year's ice maintenance our ice was perfect! 26 second speed hog to T. 3.90 split backline to hog for draws to the four foot. Curling both ways. It was fantastic.

My team had also finally gone to directional brushing with one fabric and one hair broom. As a team we curled 90%. To call that rare is Mark Twain like understatement. To call it a pleasure also understates the case. For me anyway, it's nights like that keep me curling.

Then the ice got away from our ice makers. In one game it was 21 seconds to start and the speed remained tracky throughout the game. Let's just say nobody curled 90% on either side in that game and leave it at that.

In our last game the ice was just flat out quirky. On the in-turn going away and the out-turn coming back there was five feet of curl. On the other side going away there was maybe a foot of curl and it fell going straight up the centre-line with the out-turn. We won 7-2 in four ends. Which is better than losing 7-2 in four but nothing like the pleasure we had when the ice was like WCT ice.

So, again, yes the ice is the same for both teams, but......the result in cases where the ice is highly unpredictable is often determined because one team is harshly punished for only finding out after the fact that the ice is on the kookie side. Which of course takes out a fair bit of the skill element and replaces it with luck. Bad luck if it's you finding out too late, and good luck if it's the other team it happens to.

This is a constant challenge in our game. Especially in rinks like ours that are over a hundred years old. In our case we don't have a perfect seal for the ice bed and so lose ice at different rates across the sheet creating hills and depressions. Quite the challenge for our ice maker.

When the ice is perfect Epping knows his guys can make extremely precise shots with a ton of weight that not every other team can, and that weapon is taken away when the ice conditions are less predictable.

It is well known in curling that if you are better than the other team you want good ice, and if they are better than you, well, maybe not so much:-)

02-03-16 05:27PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Johnny Epic sure shut me up, too! Can't refer to him as an unstoppable monster anymore!

john has always been up and down,thats his nature. you know he's going to come down eventually, i just hope this isnt that time .his schedule gets tough now and if he loses again to harris tonight i can see them spiraling down and struggling to hang on to a playoff spot.

02-03-16 08:52PM
JB42
Drawmaster

It's by no means a 'shocker' to see Team Howard at the top of the standings undefeated after 6 games of the Ontario provincials. They are after all the poster children for the 'Been There Done That' crowd.

Still it's got to be said that with Wayne Middaugh out, arguably the best shooter on the team. And with 'new guy' Adam Spencer in. Think how long it took Homan to adjust to Courtney. Or how Martin and Nedohin never meshed. What they are doing so far is impressive.

They, and everyone else really, won't take any notice unless they win the thing. It has nonetheless added an interesting sidebar to the event.

02-03-16 09:34PM
JB42
Drawmaster

I met Jon Meade at the Howard curling camp. What he said about one of the few times when they won MB and Howard didn't win ON was......."Woowoo!"

Yes Epping is up and coming. Yes they've had by far the better season. That said. If you gotta choose between the guy who has never been there and the guy who has made 11 finals in 15 tries I gotta think the choice is obvious.