Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Curling Club Chat > Is Bonspieling Alive and Well?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-27-16 11:41AM
NLcurlingguy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NLcurlingguy Click here to Send NLcurlingguy a Private Message Find more posts by NLcurlingguy Add NLcurlingguy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Is Bonspieling Alive and Well?

Through the years of my curling life, bonspieling has always been an important part of it. Competition at the club level, prizes (not money) and the dinner and dance.......always fun. Is it me or is there alot less of this now. And for the ones that remain, are they getting more and more ill-attended? I have heard this concern time and time again, especially from the smaller clubs in the smaller towns. And lets face it, bonspiels are a huge part of how clubs stay viable...at least it is in my town of Blind River (ON).

However, that said, the Blind River Mens Closing is still going strong for many, many years now. 48 teams and a waiting list. This is a 4 - day spiel starting on Thursday evening and going to Sunday. Excellent prizes, excellent Saturday steak supper, a Saturday afternoon jam session (lots of talented musicians in Blind River show up for this and the place is PACKED!) and a dance that rocks till closing. Without a doubt one of the premiere curling evenys on the north shore.

These days with increased hydro prices and clubs struggling to keep membership numbers up, alot of creativity is required to generate revenue. Filling up your Mens, ladies and mixed spiels is a big part of this.

Anyone else out there with success stories for keeping their spiels full, that might be helpful to other clubs that are struggling?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-27-16 01:09PM
propane_cooker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for propane_cooker Click here to Send propane_cooker a Private Message Find more posts by propane_cooker Add propane_cooker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

NLcurlingguy I think you laid out a pretty good example of how to be successful.

I'm from rural Manitoba and it is a mixed bag as to the success of bonspiels. Some of the small communities have gone to hosting mixed bonspiels instead of trying to have a poorly attended mens and womens bonspiel. These mixed bonspiels seem to have fairly good uptake and there is a couple of reasons for that. It's easier to find curlers when you can have both men and women, also it then becomes something you can do as a couple or a family.

One of the most successful rural bonspiels around here has their mens and womens bonspiel on at the same time. They make it a huge event with amazing prizes and draws. Their curling rink and hockey arena is all one facility so they put curling ice in on the hockey side in order to have one enormous bonspiel.

There are at least two other good examples of men's bonspiels in small community clubs around my area that have excellent turnouts every year. Success seems to be tied to making it an "event". Making sure that the off ice entertainment, activities, food etc. is all something that makes it a good experience. Live calcutta auctions are at both of these spiels and seem to be something that helps. Another tool especially in my area is offering transportation. In this day and age no one drinks and drives so they may not consider going to a bonspiel, or stay as long if they have no way to get home.

I come from a town that has a 6 sheet rink and we struggle to get 24 teams for our bonspiel. We need to do a revamp on our own bonspiel in order to make it an event that people who only curl one or two bonspiels a year make sure that ours is one of them.

01-27-16 01:12PM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

watching a rerun of Corner Gas (2005) on curling bonspiel

Randy Ferby and Dave Nedohin had cameos.

Last edited by kwojtalik on 01-27-16 at 01:27PM

01-27-16 01:14PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

A number of bonspiels in the GTA have been cancelled or gone to one draw. One successful Senior men's bonspiel gives a prize to every team and guess what it fills up every year. So yes, fun & incentives are the way to go. Even if you are a team of beginners, if you know you are going to have a lot of fun, then you are likely to return and tell all your fellow curlers about it.

01-27-16 01:37PM
NLcurlingguy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NLcurlingguy Click here to Send NLcurlingguy a Private Message Find more posts by NLcurlingguy Add NLcurlingguy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Propane Cooker makes an excellent point. Transportation back home / hotel from the club is key. We provide bus service every night and this works very well. We do not want anyone drinking and driving for sure, even though the majority of our profit comes from the bar sales.

We host a Boxing Day Spiel and that features 3 three end games and a spaghetti supper. Entry is only 60.00 per team and no prizes. Just a way for families to get together on Boxing Day and do something as a family. The event is always booked solid. And as an added bonus, there is a dance (with DJ) that night and it has become our good fortune that over time, attending the Boxing Day Spiel and dance has become tradition with the younger folks...including those home from school for the holidays. The dance is always jam-packed and bar sales are phenomenal. (Students might be poor all term long but they do not seem to be when this dance goes on). This has become one of the chief moneymakers for our cool little club. Needless to say, bus service is provided! On the lighter side,most of us old farts leave the dance early as it is over run with the younger ones.

Our Ladies for the past few years has become full at 24 teams. This spiel features entertainment in the form of skits (each year has a theme) and a Friday night shooter bar, dance on Saturday night.

As stated before, our Mens Closing is epic. Awesome 4 days! We hire a local band on Saturday afternoon and bring in locals to sing a few ditties with the band as back up. That goes on from 1 - 5 pm. I think this is one of the big draws for this spiel.

In all cases, it is the entertainment that seems to be a key player. And, a good meal is fundamental. PLUS, friendly hosts make people want to return.

In the interest of keeping curling strong, I am thinking bonspiels need to be rejuvenated in the clubs just to generate enough cash to keep the doors open and keep people coming back to curling (as well as growing the membership). If people are having fun, they often will stick with it.

01-27-16 02:03PM
shrike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shrike Click here to Send shrike a Private Message Find more posts by shrike Add shrike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shrike
Hitting Paint

Has anyone tried any variations on the games themselves at your spiels? Like skins? Or a Ford Hotshots? There are also some curling drills (eg crazy eights) that could be scored as well. Even movable button could be interesting. All require skill, but are different than the standard 2 or 3 8-end or 6-end games.

01-27-16 02:09PM
knit1curl2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for knit1curl2 Click here to Send knit1curl2 a Private Message Find more posts by knit1curl2 Add knit1curl2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knit1curl2
Harvey Hacksmasher

The US does a great job with keeping the bonspiel alive. Lots of good ones across the country almost every weekend of the year. The open format has really become the spiel of choice. Good food and ice is nice but it really is the people who make the good ones great.

Yes, it is a great to raise money but always remember you are running a spiel not a fundraiser. I went to one, that I used to clean the ice for as a junior to raise money for the junior program, and I left with a bad taste. Every time, I turned around somebody was asking for money and the club is one of the richest in all the lands. I ended up finding a different spiel at that club to go home to.

Entertainment is nice, to keep people around having fun and spending money on drinks, etc. See above, try to not take away from the band or DJ you hired to run a fundraiser. Little breaks are fine, but remember why you hired them.

Last edited by knit1curl2 on 01-27-16 at 02:13PM

01-27-16 02:13PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by shrike
Has anyone tried any variations on the games themselves at your spiels? Like skins? Or a Ford Hotshots? There are also some curling drills (eg crazy eights) that could be scored as well. Even movable button could be interesting. All require skill, but are different than the standard 2 or 3 8-end or 6-end games.

We're hosting our first spiel this April. Open.

If we have the sheet available I might try and have a draw to the button 50-50 contest. Something like $5 to enter, $1 to re-enter, unlimited re-entries. Person with best shot gets half the pot.

Just a side thing to add to the fun.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

01-27-16 02:26PM
knit1curl2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for knit1curl2 Click here to Send knit1curl2 a Private Message Find more posts by knit1curl2 Add knit1curl2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knit1curl2
Harvey Hacksmasher

Kalamazoo did a short house spiel and we copied it in Triangle. Our rule was you could not play with a teammate. Started with 16 teams, $10 a team, the winner got a bottle of local booze, 2nd place logo rocks glasses. Some curlers grabbed their non curling parent or partner to curl with them. It was great to get them involved in the fun. I did make sure the non curlers were matched up at the near houses, so they didn't have to walk down the sheet.

01-27-16 02:27PM
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Knit1Curl2: Good points. Some guys in our club go to a spiel in MI every year(I cannot for the life of me remember where) BUT, they absolutely LOVE it. They have an excellent time, every time and the one thing say first and foremost is that the people are awesome and this is the primary reason they return every year. I guess they have made some new friends at this place and that is surely a key factor growing this particular spiel.

01-27-16 02:37PM
shrike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shrike Click here to Send shrike a Private Message Find more posts by shrike Add shrike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shrike
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D

We're hosting our first spiel this April. Open.

If we have the sheet available I might try and have a draw to the button 50-50 contest. Something like $5 to enter, $1 to re-enter, unlimited re-entries. Person with best shot gets half the pot.

Just a side thing to add to the fun.

Once in a spiel I was at they had a draw to the four-foot contest, then held a reverse draw for all the winners. Last name left in the hat won. It was nice as all the people who hit the four foot got acknowledged.

01-27-16 02:41PM
knit1curl2
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by NLcurlingguy
Knit1Curl2: Good points. Some guys in our club go to a spiel in MI every year(I cannot for the life of me remember where) BUT, they absolutely LOVE it. They have an excellent time, every time and the one thing say first and foremost is that the people are awesome and this is the primary reason they return every year. I guess they have made some new friends at this place and that is surely a key factor growing this particular spiel.

Probably, the Detroit Men's International at the beginning of Jan. They also do a good mixed in Feb, that gets Ontario teams. Traverse City will have their 2nd one in April and the first one was a huge hit, they brought in a Canadian ice crew to work on the hockey ice, and Kalamazoo did their first one in October (on dedicated ice). Look for it to return next year, it was a great one. It was in the same building as the Kalamazoo craft beer fest. Woo Hoo. That concludes my report from the High 5 state.

01-27-16 03:12PM
propane_cooker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for propane_cooker Click here to Send propane_cooker a Private Message Find more posts by propane_cooker Add propane_cooker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

Some Good Ideas

Some good ideas being mentioned here. Should try and keep them coming...

At our club windup we do barefoot curling. You throw a toonie in to draw to the button, but you have to do it barefoot. Not sure if the club takes a cut or not, don't think so. Kind of have to do that at the end of the year though because it messes up the ice a bit.

Stuff like that could be implemented a little more at other bonspiels that we host like the mens. $5 entry fee for a skills competition, draw to the button or something like that.

Another kind of event that seems to get some pretty good attendance is outdoor bonspiels. They have one in Winnipeg Manitoba that seems to get pretty good participation every year. I'm thinking about suggesting it to my club. There is an outdoor skating rink in town that would work well.

01-27-16 03:21PM
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

I know there is an Jug Curling spiel in the valley area just outside Sudbury that draws a huge crowd. Everyone speaks highly of it. They fill Javex bottles with sand and play in the arena. That sounds like a hoot!

01-27-16 04:21PM
Drew is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Drew Click here to Send Drew a Private Message Find more posts by Drew Add Drew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Drew
Knee-Slider

I was just at the Governor's Bowl in Albany, and they do a "Lead of the Spiel" contest after the big dinner. Each team throws some money in a pool, and the leads all compete to throw the best guards. Can't go in the house, measure the distance from the intersection of the rings and center line. Shortest distance wins. It's great to give the leads the focus and fun for everyone to watch.

And as many others have said, good people make the difference between a spiel I'll go back to and one I won't.

03-07-16 01:58PM
strawberry morn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for strawberry morn Click here to Send strawberry morn a Private Message Find more posts by strawberry morn Add strawberry morn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
strawberry morn
Knee-Slider

If a regular single membership at your club is $500 then raise it to $550 and the member can use that extra $50 towards entry fees into In-House bonspiels. Use it or lose it.

03-21-16 04:52PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Here in the NE US in the GNCC, there is no shortage of bonspiel opportunities, almost every weekend between October-March.

The biggest challenge is volunteer time to run spiels. Alternative formats, including short Schenkels, or skins should be tried more. The former can condense a bonspiel into a 1-2 day event, while the second is just plain fun and very different.

Utica CC ran a skins spiel for a couple of years, and it was a hoot. But it takes a lot of volunteer time to raise money for prizes and run the event.

04-06-16 04:47PM
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc
Here in the NE US in the GNCC, there is no shortage of bonspiel opportunities, almost every weekend between October-March.

The biggest challenge is volunteer time to run spiels. Alternative formats, including short Schenkels, or skins should be tried more. The former can condense a bonspiel into a 1-2 day event, while the second is just plain fun and very different.

Utica CC ran a skins spiel for a couple of years, and it was a hoot. But it takes a lot of volunteer time to raise money for prizes and run the event.

Your right Doc, time is such a limiting factor these days for some reason. For me to dedicate the entire weekend to a 3 day bonspiel is tough, I can only fit in about 2 per year right now. However some different formats that are out there allow for a fun and competitive bonspiel without the goofiness that comes from running a "points" system. Much easier to get people to commit to 1 day than 3.

04-06-16 04:49PM
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by strawberry morn
If a regular single membership at your club is $500 then raise it to $550 and the member can use that extra $50 towards entry fees into In-House bonspiels. Use it or lose it.

This is also a good idea. We struggle a bit with losing members to other bonspiels that are "more fun" than ours. This means we need to revamp ours, but this would also be a good way to help participation.