Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-07-16 11:09AM
jaypek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jaypek Click here to Send jaypek a Private Message Find more posts by jaypek Add jaypek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jaypek
Harvey Hacksmasher

Memo to Russ!

Some thoughts on your colour commentary...

Please stop saying "Langer"! His name is Laing or Brent, not Langer!

Please stop saying "carve"! Curling stones curl, they don't carve!

Please stop calling the ice maker "Hans-y"! His name is Hans!

And, finally, stop saying "exaaactly"! Sheesh!

Thanks!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-07-16 11:22AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Re: Memo to Russ!

quote:
Originally posted by jaypek

Thanks!

"MUTE" It is on most remotes Glad we have curling to watch.

04-07-16 11:31AM
Frozencanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frozencanuck Click here to Send Frozencanuck a Private Message Find more posts by Frozencanuck Add Frozencanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

And while we are at it, please everyone stop saying "exact same". Same cannot get any samer so enough with the "exact" already!

04-07-16 11:44AM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

Maybe TSN needs to make an offer to Kevin Martin.

04-07-16 12:07PM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Justintwiss

I agree

04-07-16 12:10PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Do you prefer red or white whine?

04-07-16 04:33PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Re: Memo to Russ!

quote:
Originally posted by jaypek

Thanks!

Langer is just a nickname, the same way most people call Eldrick Woods "Tiger" or Jerry Watson "Bubba". Funny story about how Bubba got his nickname. Right after he was born and given his name Jerry Lester, his father said, "this kid is so ugly, we have to call him Bubba". AT least that is how Bubba explained it.

04-07-16 04:36PM
Marco2010 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marco2010 Click here to Send Marco2010 a Private Message Find more posts by Marco2010 Add Marco2010 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think both Russ and Kevin are very good commentators. I've learned a lot about changing ice conditions and how it can dictate strategy. Unlike hockey or baseball analysts, curling commentators don't have a ton of historical stats, videos and guests to fill up the broadcast. Imagine doing 2 games a day for a week or more. Hockey or baseball on air personalities don't have to do that.

04-07-16 08:54PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

in general russ and cheryl are fine. i dont mind them. there are times when russ kind of gets carried away with praise or criticism of a team and unlike linda before who would have her own view cheryl just kind of goes along with him. the other thing is that sometimes they do talk to much. there are times when you just want to hear the curlers talk and you cant because russ and or cheryl are discussing the situation themselves.

but most of the time i enjoy them its just those moments when i mute it.

i've already said how i feel about vic so wont waste my time repeating myself

04-08-16 04:39AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

I'd love to see/hear how 'The Wrench' would do as a curling commentator.
I get the feeling that the networks would have to use the censor 'beep' a little too often with Eddie, though, as certain 'colourful' words and phrases would just naturally slip out.
He would have some great comments, though... and would be quite naturally entertaining.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

04-08-16 09:02AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Russ Howard, the Dizzy Dean of curling announcers.

04-08-16 09:47AM
Skid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skid Click here to Send Skid a Private Message Find more posts by Skid Add Skid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skid
Harvey Hacksmasher

Fun drinking game for everyone.
Count how many times Russ mentions broom or brush during a game. You have to have drink every time he says it. Careful

04-08-16 12:17PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
if you want to worry and complain about something - watch lyin ted cruz the nutbar for an hour

So are you a Trump supporter?

04-08-16 02:50PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

Russ has a great curling mind, but unfortunately he's illiterate. His use of adverbs is atrocious.

Linda never ever made any grammatical mistakes, while Russ does all of the time.

That was swept perfect. (perfectly)
That happened quick (quickly)

I love Russ, but his grammar is terrible.

04-08-16 05:35PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
lol. the announcers are fine - far less creepy than most posters

Said the creepiest guy on the site...followed by creepy, Jones obsessed Legend giving him a thumbs up for this well thought out piece of Internet prose

04-09-16 01:39AM
joshbarry92 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joshbarry92 Click here to Send joshbarry92 a Private Message Find more posts by joshbarry92 Add joshbarry92 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joshbarry92
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

OK, I'll give you that - but lets not let Cheryl Bernard and her continuin' use of "Cowboy English" off the hook!

You guys have to realize that's one of the greatest parts of this sport. Russ shouldn't have to have flawless grammar to be a commentator. The reason he is one is because he's one of the greatest players ever to play the game, and is clearly one of the most knowledgeable.

Also, the reason he calls Brent Laing by his nickname, Lainger, is because he's gotten to know him by that name.. From playing against him in friendly camaraderie and becoming friends with someone on and off the ice. If you prefer some structured b/s from someone who graduated with a journalists degree and masters in language arts that's fine, but that's not what the majority of people want. You'd be missing out on colour and experience from an actually Olympian and great guy.

Disagree with me if you want, but you don't have to complain about everything. Enjoy the above average broadcasting you're being provided with and don't be so cynical!

04-09-16 12:34PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by joshbarry92
Russ shouldn't have to have flawless grammar to be a commentator.

There's a big difference between "flawless" grammar and the basic use of an adverb. Not that Russ is the only one.

Drive careful (carefully) has almost become the standard despite it being grammatically incorrect.

When you are hired to talk on national television it might behoove you to take a refresher course in grammar to not sound like a complete ignoramus.

Don't get me wrong. Russ is a great commentator. But Linda NEVER made basic grammatical mistakes. It's a sign of intelligence.

04-09-16 05:30PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Whoopee sh_t!!!

04-09-16 05:35PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

did fresca edit "lol"?

06-21-16 03:12PM
Can_t_GetEnough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Can_t_GetEnough Click here to Send Can_t_GetEnough a Private Message Find more posts by Can_t_GetEnough Add Can_t_GetEnough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Can_t_GetEnough
Knee-Slider

Comentators on TSN, Rogers, and elsewhere

Sorry, I started a new thread not realizing that this topic was already being discussed...

Comentators on TSN, Rogers, and elsewhere

I have found the commentary very frustrating. In particular, in Draw 1 of The 2016 Brier, ON vs. AB, Bryan Mudryk is the commentator along with David Nedohin . I'm at the 5th end and rarely do either of these announcers talk about the game that's being played or strategies of a particular shot. They've got so many other things to talk about that are completely irrelevant to the shot or game being played. I've had to mute the commentary as it's so annoying and distracting.

I wish there was some way to turn off the terrible announcing and just hear what the players are saying - as at least they are discussing the shots. TSN's announcers are in general, terribly annoying and distracting. Bryan's questions are so pre-scripted and irrelevant to the shot, it's like going to a movie and having someone nearby having a conversation. So annoying. I find Kevin Martin and the Rogers crew vastly superior. I've also watched some European games, and the announcers are much more focused on the game at hand with little irrelevant commentary (or Vic forced to plug the sponsors in every other sentence). I always found Vic to be a terrible announcer with tons of irrelevant or stupid questions, but Bryan is worse. Wish TSN would let the players discussions be more a part of the broadcast.

06-22-16 12:27AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

It's June, dude... time to complain about how the baseball and golf announcers don't meet your standards, please.
Dumping on the curling announcers can wait until October, when it'll actually be a relevant subject.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

11-22-22 02:12AM
lorde is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lorde Find more posts by lorde Add lorde to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lorde
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Justintwiss

That's right, I love this idea.
shell shockers
melon playground

03-06-23 04:12AM
gemmalyly@gmail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gemmalyly@gmail Find more posts by gemmalyly@gmail Add gemmalyly@gmail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gemmalyly@gmail
Knee-Slider

I found this article to be thought-provoking and informative contexto. It's always refreshing to read something that challenges my thinking.

03-09-23 12:48PM
HerCurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HerCurl Click here to Send HerCurl a Private Message Find more posts by HerCurl Add HerCurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HerCurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

I really think it’s past time Russ learned how to pronounce Rachel Homan’s name. Homan. Not Holman.

05-23-23 10:45PM
spinabove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spinabove Find more posts by spinabove Add spinabove to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spinabove
Knee-Slider

It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing. free games