Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-26-16 05:12PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

2016 NL Tankard & Scotties

Newfoundland & Labrador playdowns start Thursday, January 28th from the RE/MAX Center in St. John's Newfoundland. We'll have coverage of every draw on CurlingGeek.

https://games.curlinggeek.com

Women: Three teams entered, looks like they will play a double round robin. Team Heather Strong is the defending champion

Men: 6 teams, with Brad Gushue the heavy favourite. But: given the success of the underdogs this past Sunday, I'd be willing to put a wager on Traveller's national champs Team Symonds if the odds were right.

Full schedule:
http://www.stjohnscurlingclub.com/m...tart-next-week/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-26-16 06:23PM
NLcurlingguy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NLcurlingguy Click here to Send NLcurlingguy a Private Message Find more posts by NLcurlingguy Add NLcurlingguy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Indeed we can never rule out an upset as last wknd has shown us BUT, I do hope Gushue makes it through. Given the quality of this team, I remain hopeful that this might be the year he wins the Brier.

01-26-16 07:12PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik

Re: 2016 NL Tankard & Scotties

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingGeek
Newfoundland & Labrador playdowns start Thursday, January 28th from the RE/MAX Center in St. John's Newfoundland. We'll have coverage of every draw on CurlingGeek.

https://games.curlinggeek.com

Women: Three teams entered, looks like they will play a double round robin. Team Heather Strong is the defending champion

Men: 6 teams, with Brad Gushue the heavy favourite. But: given the success of the underdogs this past Sunday, I'd be willing to put a wager on Traveller's national champs Team Symonds if the odds were right.

Full schedule:
http://www.stjohnscurlingclub.com/m...tart-next-week/

I usually check your sight when games are not televised. I would like to thank you and all your geeks for doing this, its great.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.26.210.184

01-27-16 11:14AM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Thanks kwojtalik! It's really the volunteers who make it all happen.

Interesting rules:

1) Women: Double round robin. If a team goes undefeated, they win it it all without a playoff. Otherwise top two get a one game playoff.

2) Men: Single round robin, top two teams into a playoff. If one team was undefeated in the round robin, they must be beaten twice.

The men's rule seems to favour Gushue. One playoff game upset? Possible. Twice? Much, much harder.

01-28-16 01:05PM
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

And we're off! First up: Heather Strong vs Stacie Curtis

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/591

01-28-16 02:45PM
rick8end

Only three women's teams competing is downright sad in terms of development of women's curling in the province. I'm pretty sure they had more teams in previous years, but I could be wrong. Saskatchewan has just over twice the population and has 12 women's teams competing in their play downs.

Even in the Men's, with a top guy like Brad Gushue on the scene, they have only 6 teams competing. Whatever they're doing to stimulate curling participation Newfoundland clearly isn't working.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 96.48.161.103

01-28-16 02:54PM
NLcurlingguy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NLcurlingguy Click here to Send NLcurlingguy a Private Message Find more posts by NLcurlingguy Add NLcurlingguy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Unfortunately it is happening in more provinces than NL. Teams wanting to play competitive curling is certainly on the downswing.

Last year, with mens provincials in Lab City only produced 2 teams, which was understandable considering the cost but I expected more than 6 teams this year.

01-28-16 03:16PM
rick8end

For sure you are right about that, especially in the Maritimes (which I love) in general. But when you get down to 3 teams competing for your provincial championship, it can't get much worse. That's downright embarrassing. And I realize N.B. only has 5 teams competing.

It's a great sport, but the younger generation in most cases just doesn't seem willing to make the time commitment to it. Too long and not enough action. They don't know what they're missing.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 96.48.161.103

01-28-16 03:23PM
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Agreed. I remember my junior curling days (school boy...I dated myself there) there were LOTS of teams. First you had to get out of your club and there were 4 - 5 teams there and then out of your zone (another 5 - 6 teams there) and then to a provincial. Boy, things have changed, and not for the better in terms of participation.

Here in our small Northern Ontario town, our club is lucky to produce 2 bantam or junior teams. This year, there were NO boys teams.

01-28-16 03:37PM
BobbyS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BobbyS Click here to Send BobbyS a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyS Add BobbyS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BobbyS
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end
Only three women's teams competing is downright sad in terms of development of women's curling in the province. I'm pretty sure they had more teams in previous years, but I could be wrong. Saskatchewan has just over twice the population and has 12 women's teams competing in their play downs.

Saskatchewan had played down to this number. They had a few teams directly qualify, and then had two qualifiers to make provincials. So the number would have been closer to 18-20.

01-28-16 03:40PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end
For sure you are right about that, especially in the Maritimes (which I love) in general. But when you get down to 3 teams competing for your provincial championship, it can't get much worse. That's downright embarrassing. And I realize N.B. only has 5 teams competing.

It's a great sport, but the younger generation in most cases just doesn't seem willing to make the time commitment to it. Too long and not enough action. They don't know what they're missing.

Quebec had 8 spots in their Scotties but only 5 teams entered! Ontario has covered their system by getting rid of zones and have regions instead.

01-28-16 06:18PM
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Thursday evening triple header:

Gushue v Hunt
Symmonds v Thomas
Curtis v Hardy

All available here: https://games.curlinggeek.com