Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2019 Women's Worlds- Silkeborg

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-22-19 03:51PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Bring on Jill !!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-22-19 04:17PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
I

Let me also be very clear I find it extremely unfair that should Japan lose to Sweden and Canada win there are no tiebreakers. All 3 would be 6-6 . I dont care if Japan beat both in round robin, playoffs is a different animal. Canada and the US would deserve a chance to get in

Unfair? LIfe is never fair and everyone knew the rules going into the event. Didn't want to end up 6-6 ? Should have one another game and controlled your own destiny.
Rewarding mediocrity with a playoff berth is a shame and the WCF needs to go back to the top 4 only.

03-22-19 04:40PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:

Agree.vive gone after a few people in defense of this team over things they've said.

I sound like a hypocrite because I have a Twitter but I honestly believe social media is a curse. Twitter and instagram 2 if the worst things to ever come into being. The world would be so much better off without them. Gives every ******* a place to rant and whine with no real consequences and you know the things people are saying would never be said to Chelsea or the team in person

Agreed, so much. I have seen some really disgusting body image related hate being thrown at them, just totally uncalled for.

There's an article that also brought up the fact that when Colleen Jones failed to get to the playoffs, she got anonymous hate mail send to her. These curlers do not go to these events to lose. People need to realize these curlers are humans first and foremost like us all, and need to learn some tact.

03-22-19 04:50PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Didn't want to end up 6-6 ? Should have one another game and controlled your own destiny.

Yeah, can’t argue with that. Everyone knew the format going in. Imagine getting KO’d by last shot draw. Head-to-head records seem fair, IMO...

03-22-19 06:04PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Unfair? LIfe is never fair and everyone knew the rules going into the event. Didn't want to end up 6-6 ? Should have one another game and controlled your own destiny.
Rewarding mediocrity with a playoff berth is a shame and the WCF needs to go back to the top 4 only.

let me start off by saying i agree. the 6 team playoff format is stupid and needs to be done away with

having said that can we not also agree that elimination based on H2H is cruel and unfair. i know japan beat both canada and the US in the round robin but who's to say they could or would again. if cashspiels can make room in their schedules for tiebreakers with a much more compact running time then surely an event as important as the world championship could too.

ther'es nothing to separate canada, US and japan therefor an actual tiebreak should be played

03-22-19 06:15PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

quote:
Can we not also agree that elimination based on H2H is cruel and unfair. i know japan beat both canada and the US in the round robin but who's to say they could or would again.

But this way makes round-robin games absolutely crucial, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with ramping up the pressure throughout the week. Sorry, misty1, but we’ll agree to disagree on this one! 😊

03-22-19 07:13PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by maybo

But this way makes round-robin games absolutely crucial, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with ramping up the pressure throughout the week. Sorry, misty1, but we’ll agree to disagree on this one! 😊

you know when each round robin game had more significance? when it was a top 4 playoff format. they never should have gone to this stupid system. i suppose if they hadnt we wouldnt be having this discussion. sweden, russia, switzerland and korea would be your final 4 and that would be it. and , we really shouldnt be.

03-22-19 07:37PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the one thing i find hilarious here is that tsn will not normally show games that dont involve canada and they are now forced to show 6 that dont involve canada. my bet is they punt them off to tsn 5 or something, one of the lesser channels but either way they'll be airing them.

would never happen but it'd be a real nightmare if the same thing happened with koe

03-23-19 06:15AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

Japan leads Russia 9-3. Switzerland leads China 5-4. And there is TSN showing the Japan/Russia game on its four channels. Switch to the more competitive game! If they are dependent on the World Curling feed then that feed should be switching themselves. Either way, someone needs to use their brain here.

As for the broadcast itself, I have really enjoyed some of the overhead tracking camera shots that reveal the curl of the rock and just plain look great. TSN should take a lesson from those and pull them into their own broadcasts. I do miss the scoreboards and rock counts on the screen throughout, though. The commentary has been serious, factual, and pretty good, though one of the commentators kept advocating for a freeze to be played in the 6th end. That was never going to work out well for Russia. They should have attempted a double takeout instead.

03-23-19 06:53AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

yeah, that china v.s switzerland game was much more competitive and that last end was so good. paetz made a brilliant shot on her first to set up that win. i was confused as to why china drew on the side that did with their last though. seems to me the logical thing would have been to draw on the out turn side. get one sunk in there and switzerland was likely going to be forced. yet they drew in turn side and left switzerland all the room on the out turn. a draw with backing which paetz made.

japan v.s russia was a huge surprise. did not expect kovaleva to go down that easily

as for the final...

think switzerland will edge out korea and sweden should get by japan. set up a rematch of the european final

03-23-19 06:57AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

china really just fell apart late didnt they. started 5-0 and end 7-6. that's a 2-6 record through the last 8 games.

you have to wonder how much of that start was down to everyone else still adjusting to the ice

03-23-19 07:33AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
china really just fell apart late didnt they. started 5-0 and end 7-6. that's a 2-6 record through the last 8 games.

you have to wonder how much of that start was down to everyone else still adjusting to the ice

The ice was the same for everyone. Good teams are trained how to adjust quickly. Cary was still whining about how the ice felt " under foot" after 10 games.

03-23-19 11:20AM
NOLA_Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NOLA_Curler Find more posts by NOLA_Curler Add NOLA_Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NOLA_Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

let me start off by saying i agree. the 6 team playoff format is stupid and needs to be done away with

having said that can we not also agree that elimination based on H2H is cruel and unfair. i know japan beat both canada and the US in the round robin but who's to say they could or would again. if cashspiels can make room in their schedules for tiebreakers with a much more compact running time then surely an event as important as the world championship could too.

ther'es nothing to separate canada, US and japan therefor an actual tiebreak should be played

How about a flexible format where 4-6 teams make the playoffs, but you need a winning record to do so? So if the Top 6 all have a record of 7-5 or better, we proceed as we do now. Only five teams have a winning record - the 4 and 5 seeds play a QF and then we proceed. Only four winning teams - no QFs. This system would thwart the seemingly common occurrence of a 6-6 team making the playoffs under the current format.

As for breaking ties, I'm fine with head to head. It's been used in the NFL forever and has become an acceptable aspect of sport here in the U.S. For unresolvable ties, the LSD isn't ideal but still seems more efficient than playing two games to advance one team. At least there is skill involved.

03-23-19 11:24AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i questioned korea's decision to bkank there but it seems early on it might work. in loads of trouble here in the 10th without hammer

03-23-19 11:35AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

quote:
i questioned korea's decision to bkank there but it seems early on it might work. in loads of trouble here in the 10th without hammer

Tirinzoni just missed both of her 10th end shots. That's usually a death sentence in this position. Maybe Paetz can bail her out again.

Sweden is better than these teams. I'm hoping the best team wins, and all week that has been Sweden.

Korea just missed their 10th end shot to win, and I think they attempted the wrong shot. The Swiss rock in the 4-foot was almost uncovered and could have been tapped back to score two. That seemed a much easier shot than the shot they tried.

Last edited by EPMD on 03-23-19 at 11:42AM

03-23-19 11:44AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

yeah, thats what i meant. switzerland was in a world of trouble. i dont think the 3 in front of her made a shot complete all end but alina bailed them out with 2 brilliant draws

03-23-19 11:46AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD

Tirinzoni just missed both of her 10th end shots. That's usually a death sentence in this position. Maybe Paetz can bail her out again.

Sweden is better than these teams. I'm hoping the best team wins, and all week that has been Sweden.

Korea just missed their 10th end shot to win, and I think they attempted the wrong shot. The Swiss rock in the 4-foot was almost uncovered and could have been tapped back to score two. That seemed a much easier shot than the shot they tried.

yeah, i was confosed why they didnt follow her down and tap it back. it seemed there

but maybe it wouldnt curl enough to stick around for the 2?

03-23-19 12:03PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

switzerland into the final. for tirinzoni its been a long time coming. this is her 5th appearance at worlds and finally she will get a medal.

03-23-19 12:23PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

I only saw the tenth and extra end but Korea's strategy was a little bizarre. Especially the extra end with the third rocks. I guess they are very young but even a young team at that level should have a better feel. I will say the switch for Tirazoni to third was a great move on her part. I just don't think she could have saved the tenth end like Paetz did as she can get quite uptight near the end of a close game.

03-23-19 05:37PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Feel sorry for the Korean girls. They were cheated of a finals appearance by weak coaching!

no one was cheated out of anything. that call in 9 was weird to make but its not the only call they made that was odd that came of their own decision making.

03-23-19 09:40PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

yes, you're right and normally i try and ignore it but what he said just set me off.

03-23-19 10:19PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

deleted

Last edited by Observer on 03-23-19 at 10:33PM

03-23-19 11:00PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
deleted

I agreed with most of what you said before you deleted it. However, sometimes we (me) can get a bit worked up on here, like last night, but I fully understand your frustrations.

03-24-19 12:20AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

I agreed with most of what you said before you deleted it. However, sometimes we (me) can get a bit worked up on here, like last night, but I fully understand your frustrations.

None of you should feel any remorse or guilt for standing up to the sociopathic bully. He's earned every bit of vitriol he gets.

Although it's interesting that truthfully he's sadly pathetic in the passive aggressive way he insults the very athletes he claims to idolize.

But enough of that. Everyone head to the liquor store. Time to stock up for another round (no pun intended) of the MLGD!

03-24-19 01:19AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Given the direction of this thread, it would seem the women’s world championship has very little appeal to the so called curling enthusiasts. What a shame.