Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2015 Ford World Men's Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 13 of 13 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-05-15 08:12PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

Re: Good Curling by Swedens Team

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
Seems like Canada doesn't have that "target on their backs" anymore
Women havent won a world title since 2008 and now the Men seem to be slipping off the throne
Sweden seems to be building a good system as are the Swiss and other Euro Countries
Hope next year is a better ending for both Canada's Top Teams..

The "Curse of LaBonte" is back I guess. From the LaBonte incident in 1973 until 1980, Canada didn't win a World Men's for all of those years, until Folk won in 1980.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-05-15 08:53PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

my final thoughts:

1. finland was a great surprise. vast improvement from their previous appearance. will they manage to keep it up? i dont know but i hope so because it would be great to see another strong european team at worlds. its getting boring knowing only sweden and norway can compete with canada on a consistant basis anymore

2. canada managed to avoid going 0-3 in playoffs like last year. i dont know how many members will stay with this team next year. would have been nice to see pat win it all but i guess it wasnt meant to be

3. United states should be proud. after years of mediocre to terrible results they had a good showing this year. john shuster getting better results than any hpp funded team this year was great. but in the big picture i think this was important for curling. i am not the biggest fan of americans( i have had a lot of negative experiences with them) but its important for the US to feel like they can compete here. thats a big market world curling needs to keep interested

4. that was a very lacklustre final. sweden deserves full credit for winning but in 2 games in a row they faced 2 teams who put no pressure at all on them. was hoping the final would be competitive and interesting but it really was for like only 1 end. probably the worst mens final in recent years

5. disapointment of the event is scotland. pretty shocking to see that they finished that low in the standings 2 years in a row. i think whats most alarming is that they dont seem to have any young teams coming up and breaking through

6. italy was a bit surprising. i didnt expect them to win or even make playoffs but based off what i saw at europeans i thought they'd do better than they did here

7. switzerland had a hot start but fizzled toward the end. this young team was just there for experience this year. will they consistantly challenge decruz and michel at the top in switzerland? remains to be seen

8. this is just the 2nd time in history that canada has gone more than 2 years without winning gold. i know a lot of people on here will be upset but i think its great that canadian men aren just walking into a final or to a gold medal now. sweden and norway have ruled the gold for these last couple of years. i doubt it will last much longer. there's really only 2 teams that can consistantly beat canada on the mens side right now o i doubt we'll see a 7 year drought like on the womens side

9. i think its time to let asia get 3 entries . asian teams didnt do so well this year but i still believe that europe has 1 to many entries. they have the largest federation though and i doubt its going to change any time soon..or ever

10. i was disapointed in world curling tv's coverage. i dont understand why i was geoblocked from watching the worlds in canada when i was in canada. they also didnt have a great variety of games. i wont even get into tsn because i dont want to do that again but i expect better here. their world junior coverage is better. the commentary for the juniors was better as well. not sure who they had doing the job for the few games i was able to see but i was not liking what i heard.

Last edited by misty1 on 04-05-15 at 08:55PM

04-05-15 09:19PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: Good Curling by Swedens Team

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
[B]

Probably only two international mens teams (we saw them today) who could handle our best (McEwen, Simmons, Koe, Cotter, Howard, Menard, Laycock, Epping, Carruthers, Gushue) but that's all these internationals need, especially if our Brier winner drops their guard.

and JACOBS

04-05-15 10:00PM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

And JACOBS...you got that right!!!!

04-05-15 10:16PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

No matter how "deep" the Canadian program is-and everybody know how "Deep" it is, the fact of the matter is that the World Championships are based on "One Country-One Team" and despite the fact that Norway and Canada ran away during the round robin, we saw some extremely promising (and most importantly YOUNG) new men's teams.

As a Canuck it hurts to say it, but for the game to continue to grow, some of these new teams will eventually have to win a few championships.

Canada will always have the "Bullseye on it's back" or be the "Bad Guy"-we should enjoy the role-other countries seem to enjoy that role in other sports.

04-05-15 10:31PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

misty - do you think its entirely coincidental the Scottish program started to evaporate after their federation screwed Tom Brewster of his team?

no, i dont think there is any correlation

04-06-15 12:30AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by irishrose
Well seems I was right after all. When I posted that John Morris and way too much to say and was forgetting he is not the skip most responses were there was nothing wrong with him yapping and yelling at Pat from the hack and making him change his mind etc. Turns out it cost them the game. Pat bailed them out all week but can only do so much.
As Kevin Martin once told John when he tried to change the call he told him "you want that shot you better make it .He missed".He will never change.

You weren't right. They lost for several reasons, little of which were due to Morris. For example :

1. Sweden peaked late in the event and played very well.
Edin has always been a steller curler, and it's his job.

2. The team was unable to shake the hangover of missing at
least two routine shots to close out Norway.

3. Pat had a really bad game. One could guess why, but blaming
Morris seems well down the list. Try law of averages, or
the fact Pat would dearly love to win a world title. Who
really knows, bad games happen.

I suppose you could try to blame Morris for Norway getting hammered worse then Canada by Edin's team too ( hmmmm ). Or you could observe the team dynamics against Finland and note that this team gets along very well considering the circumstances. But all that was needed was an objective look at how they have performed and with what team dynamic in earlier games with Pat skipping. It hasn't changed, they all contribute and John may talk a lot but it's focused and on point. Sure, some can't handle that, but these guys have known John on the tour for years and they recruited him. They knew exactly what they would get, which in my opinion is one of the best curlers in the world.

If Pat couldn't handle it, they wouldn't have made the playoffs at the Brier. These guys were 4th last year with Kevin Koe and improved to 3rd this year with Morris. Complaining about Morris, well what does that say about Kevin Koe ? Were you blaming Koe's tendancy to be indecisive and constantly look for input when they lost last year ? Because among elite curlers he's the polar opposite of Morris, but the result was similar. Not that there is anything wrong with top 4 in the world, especially after the relatively harder road of a Brier.

Morris is just a damn good curler. He helped Martin continue to be successful in his older years, he got Cotter winning far more then ever before, and Simmons finally won a Brier. That's quite a run. Makes me wonder what you and a few others don't like about him. Might be jealousy, ask yourself about your motives. Don't become a Manitoba Legend wannabee on here, appreciate top level curling and how inspiring it might be to be a better curler yourself.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 04-06-15 at 12:33AM

04-06-15 08:17AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

You weren't right. They lost for several reasons, little of which were due to Morris. For example :

1. Sweden peaked late in the event and played very well.
Edin has always been a steller curler, and it's his job.

2. The team was unable to shake the hangover of missing at
least two routine shots to close out Norway.

3. Pat had a really bad game. One could guess why, but blaming
Morris seems well down the list. Try law of averages, or
the fact Pat would dearly love to win a world title. Who
really knows, bad games happen.

I suppose you could try to blame Morris for Norway getting hammered worse then Canada by Edin's team too ( hmmmm ). Or you could observe the team dynamics against Finland and note that this team gets along very well considering the circumstances. But all that was needed was an objective look at how they have performed and with what team dynamic in earlier games with Pat skipping. It hasn't changed, they all contribute and John may talk a lot but it's focused and on point. Sure, some can't handle that, but these guys have known John on the tour for years and they recruited him. They knew exactly what they would get, which in my opinion is one of the best curlers in the world.

If Pat couldn't handle it, they wouldn't have made the playoffs at the Brier. These guys were 4th last year with Kevin Koe and improved to 3rd this year with Morris. Complaining about Morris, well what does that say about Kevin Koe ? Were you blaming Koe's tendancy to be indecisive and constantly look for input when they lost last year ? Because among elite curlers he's the polar opposite of Morris, but the result was similar. Not that there is anything wrong with top 4 in the world, especially after the relatively harder road of a Brier.

Morris is just a damn good curler. He helped Martin continue to be successful in his older years, he got Cotter winning far more then ever before, and Simmons finally won a Brier. That's quite a run. Makes me wonder what you and a few others don't like about him. Might be jealousy, ask yourself about your motives. Don't become a Manitoba Legend wannabee on here, appreciate top level curling and how inspiring it might be to be a better curler yourself.

I actually agree with you here. Morris gets a lot of crap on here but you cant argue with how good a curler he is. When he is on a team he gets results out of that team , he makes them better.

04-06-15 06:43PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

I actually agree with you here. Morris gets a lot of crap on here but you cant argue with how good a curler he is. When he is on a team he gets results out of that team , he makes them better.

I'm not disappointed at all with their performance. It was an entertaining week to watch and Edin himself is very likable and a deserving winner. Canadian men's teams often hope to win gold and the pressure that comes with that has to be high, Carter and Pat were great all RR but both were less accurate in the playoffs. Pat did continue to make clutch draws anyways and Carter adds so much to the team in an overall sense, one can hardly say they were bad, just not up to the high standard they displayed the previous 20 games.

Miking players and televising every Canadian game tends to exaggerate the vocals for the TV viewers. Announcers have to fill the time. I'm sure the team themselves were fine except for the aspect that Pat lost his feel for his throws in the semi, something all skips deal with eventually.

The one thing I found strange was the video on the boards at the arena. I wonder how distracting that might be for some players, especially on the end sheet. Maybe it's not as bad on the ice as it appears to TV viewers.

Well done Team Canada, hopefully Pat gets another chance down the road but winning multiple Briers out of different positions is still a great career accomplishment.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 04-06-15 at 07:00PM