Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Jill Officer rant on babies...

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-05-15 07:10PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Jill Officer rant on babies...

interesting read.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2319324/j...g-another-baby/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-05-15 08:53PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i cant say i disagree with anything she says. she is 100% right

11-06-15 07:16AM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

She has every right to rant on this. It's nobody's business and a private matter for women in general.

11-06-15 10:43AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Much ado.. about..

All this ranting because of one comment about it being best for an only child to have a sibling ( it seems sharing is an issue with an only child )

Seems kinda strange to write a column about something so personal yet saying "its none of your business"..

Huh

11-06-15 12:32PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Re: Much ado.. about..

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
All this ranting because of one comment about it being best for an only child to have a sibling ( it seems sharing is an issue with an only child )

Seems kinda strange to write a column about something so personal yet saying "its none of your business"..

Huh

First of all, this isn't a "rant". This is a polite request to stop asking a very personal question and her explaining why it is offensive.

Unfortunately these comments are being made frequently enough for her to have to write a column. I see nothing strange about doing one request that will hopefully fend off most of these rude intrusive questions.

11-06-15 09:42PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Every newby celeb has to deal with fanatical fans. Jill is not a newby. She and het team have milked PR and their fan basefor all it is worth. But now she's calling foul??? Can't have it both ways.

11-06-15 11:56PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Why would people, especially random fans, even ask about this at all? Doesn't anyone have an iota of sense about which topics are appropriate and which ones aren't? Yikes.

11-08-15 09:56AM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

Rants.. Complaints..Opinions whatever you want to call them Jill seems to be venting more in the last 7 months.. Perhaps the yearly grind of putting the work in to be a top 2 team in Canadians womens curling is starting to wear her down a bit and she is more apt now to speak out about perceived criticism

11-08-15 12:35PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs up well said

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World
Rants.. Complaints..Opinions whatever you want to call them Jill seems to be venting more in the last 7 months.. Perhaps the yearly grind of putting the work in to be a top 2 team in Canadians womens curling is starting to wear her down a bit and she is more apt now to speak out about perceived criticism

What confused me was that I looked thru some of her twice weekly Winnipeg Global ? blogs and they were all about her personal life...
implying that it was for public consumption

Perhaps if Jill had asked the guy who first upset her.. why he said what he did.. the issue may have been resolved directly...rather than thru the media...
Nobody wants to cross personal boundaries

so maybe Jill's future blogs should get back on the ice..

11-08-15 02:03PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Re: well said

quote:

What confused me was that I looked thru some of her twice weekly Winnipeg Global ? blogs and they were all about her personal life...
implying that it was for public consumption

Perhaps if Jill had asked the guy who first upset her.. why he said what he did.. the issue may have been resolved directly...rather than thru the media...
Nobody wants to cross personal boundaries

so maybe Jill's future blogs should get back on the ice..

I agree with you Hotrocks. I've read most if not all of her blogs. Usually they are very interesting but the last few have been too personal. Don't put it out there if you don't want the feedback. Secondly, I find it very hard to believe that we are even talking about this in a curling forum. The issue is important to only two people. IMHO

11-10-15 03:54AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

We are unfortunately caught in an age of 'political correctness' where it is considered a terrible crime to offend anyone in any way. And so we are left with people being afraid to express their thoughts and feelings on anything, for fear that some overly sensitive insecure person will feel 'offended' and object.

It has reached a ridiculous level, and Jill's words are a prime example of how crazy this 'political correctness' has become:
She writes "Are you seriously asking me this very personal question? What business is it of yours? And how do you know I or anyone else you ask isnt having fertility problems? And how awkward and sad would it be for someone who is trying to have a baby or another baby, but cant?"

Are we honestly expected to go through every possible scenario before speaking to everyone - including scenarios which are rather uncommon - simply to ensure that we do not 'offend' anyone? This is completely ridiculous. If someone is having 'fertility problems', there is no reason to be upset or offended if someone asks if you are going to have a baby. To be offended is to betray your personal insecurity (which 'political correctness' certainly perpetuates).
Jeez... following Jill's 'logic', we should not ever ask anyone how their curling went last night, in case they had a terrible game that they wish to forget, and would be 'offended' that our question reminded them about their terrible game.
Seriously, if Jill is going to let everyone know - via the media - that she had a baby (which could easily be argued is none of our business), and wants all the attention that 'cute baby photos' bring, etc., then she should be prepared for any comments relating to that publicly expressed information. After choosing to make parts of her life thus public, it's ridiculous and arrogant of her to insist on receiving only comments she 'approves of' related to those portions of her life she voluntarily makes public. As another poster mentioned, she can't have her cake and eat it, too...

We are now told that it is a terrible thing to 'judge' others... but, hell, when I was a kid, we were encouraged to form GOOD JUDGMENTS. Today, kids and adults alike are told to have NO judgment - for fear of 'offending' someone! It's insane. It is human nature to judge and assess - it is how we distinguish between our friends and our foes; it is how we choose our favourite cereal... Every human being makes dozens of judgments each and every day. To not judge is to have no opinion; to be indifferent about everything... to think nothing and say nothing, for fear of 'offending' someone with your 'judgment'. To not judge is to not be human. We simply need to ensure that we judge on relevant facts, not on trivial or superficial things. Do not, for example, assess one's level of honesty based on a person's shoe size.
'Political correctness' has crossed way over the line of decency, and has resulted in a climate of very phony 'politeness', and a fear of expressing one's true thoughts and feelings. This, quite naturally, has cut down on meaningful interactive communication between people.

The problem is not in people's comments or judgments - the problem clearly lies in people's personal insecurity. And these insecure people are blaming others for making simple comments which they have every right to make. And which the receiver has every right to accept or to reject or to ignore. As Eleanor Roosevelt said "No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Stop blaming others for your being overly sensitive to simple comments which have no harmful intention. Tell me that you don't like or appreciate my comment - that's fine. But don't tell me that I don't have the right to make my comment.

It's very sad to be living in a time where the majority are afraid to speak. We need to be more real. Say what you think and feel - whether it reveals you to be a jackass or a genius.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

11-11-15 12:59PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
We are unfortunately caught in an age of 'political correctness' where it is considered a terrible crime to offend anyone in any way. And so we are left with people being afraid to express their thoughts and feelings on anything, for fear that some overly sensitive insecure person will feel 'offended' and object.

It has reached a ridiculous level, and Jill's words are a prime example of how crazy this 'political correctness' has become:
She writes "Are you seriously asking me this very personal question? What business is it of yours? And how do you know I or anyone else you ask isnt having fertility problems? And how awkward and sad would it be for someone who is trying to have a baby or another baby, but cant?"

Are we honestly expected to go through every possible scenario before speaking to everyone - including scenarios which are rather uncommon - simply to ensure that we do not 'offend' anyone? This is completely ridiculous. If someone is having 'fertility problems', there is no reason to be upset or offended if someone asks if you are going to have a baby. To be offended is to betray your personal insecurity (which 'political correctness' certainly perpetuates).
Jeez... following Jill's 'logic', we should not ever ask anyone how their curling went last night, in case they had a terrible game that they wish to forget, and would be 'offended' that our question reminded them about their terrible game.
Seriously, if Jill is going to let everyone know - via the media - that she had a baby (which could easily be argued is none of our business), and wants all the attention that 'cute baby photos' bring, etc., then she should be prepared for any comments relating to that publicly expressed information. After choosing to make parts of her life thus public, it's ridiculous and arrogant of her to insist on receiving only comments she 'approves of' related to those portions of her life she voluntarily makes public. As another poster mentioned, she can't have her cake and eat it, too...

We are now told that it is a terrible thing to 'judge' others... but, hell, when I was a kid, we were encouraged to form GOOD JUDGMENTS. Today, kids and adults alike are told to have NO judgment - for fear of 'offending' someone! It's insane. It is human nature to judge and assess - it is how we distinguish between our friends and our foes; it is how we choose our favourite cereal... Every human being makes dozens of judgments each and every day. To not judge is to have no opinion; to be indifferent about everything... to think nothing and say nothing, for fear of 'offending' someone with your 'judgment'. To not judge is to not be human. We simply need to ensure that we judge on relevant facts, not on trivial or superficial things. Do not, for example, assess one's level of honesty based on a person's shoe size.
'Political correctness' has crossed way over the line of decency, and has resulted in a climate of very phony 'politeness', and a fear of expressing one's true thoughts and feelings. This, quite naturally, has cut down on meaningful interactive communication between people.

The problem is not in people's comments or judgments - the problem clearly lies in people's personal insecurity. And these insecure people are blaming others for making simple comments which they have every right to make. And which the receiver has every right to accept or to reject or to ignore. As Eleanor Roosevelt said "No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Stop blaming others for your being overly sensitive to simple comments which have no harmful intention. Tell me that you don't like or appreciate my comment - that's fine. But don't tell me that I don't have the right to make my comment.

It's very sad to be living in a time where the majority are afraid to speak. We need to be more real. Say what you think and feel - whether it reveals you to be a jackass or a genius.

I agree with most of what you say about political correctness, but this has nothing to do with political correctness. This is about people not asking personal questions of people they don't know personally. This is about minding one's own business. How is that some modern concept? People have been minding their business for a long time.

Sure, Jill may provide some information about her personal life on her own. Why does that mean she has to be open to any personal question? What sense does that make? You can't talk about anything or you have to be prepared to talk about everything?

11-12-15 04:33AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I agree with most of what you say about political correctness, but this has nothing to do with political correctness.

I believe it has everything to do with 'political correctness' - and the inherent hypocrisy of same.

quote:
This is about people not asking personal questions of people they don't know personally. This is about minding one's own business. How is that some modern concept? People have been minding their business for a long time.

If people truly want others to mind their own business, then people would not reveal personal anecdotes or circumstances of their personal lives in a public forum. It's quite simple, really.

quote:
Sure, Jill may provide some information about her personal life on her own. Why does that mean she has to be open to any personal question? What sense does that make?
It makes perfect sense. It means that she should be open to receiving any questioning, comments, praise, or criticism on any topic directly related to what she has proudly revealed in any public forum.

quote:
You can't talk about anything or you have to be prepared to talk about everything?
No, not EVERYTHING - but she should certainly be prepared to receive any sort of comment on any topic - personal or otherwise - which she herself has voluntarily introduced in a public forum.
She certainly accepts positive comments and compliments which directly relate to the things she reveals in her public forum - so she needs to accept the negative comments, as well. Taking advantage of public forums to attract attention to oneself and tell the public at large about your personal life, and then trying to control the comments of others which are directly related to the information one very voluntarily made very public is incredibly artificial and manipulative.
If you're going to make public comments about your life, you need to be able to accept all forthcoming comments, be they positive, negative, or neutral. You can't say things and then demand that you'll only accept positive commentary. That's not how life works.You would likely brand me a fool if I responded to your post by saying that what I wrote is none of your business, and that I will accept only positive, approving comments about my post. And you would be completely right in branding me a fool if I did that. I see no difference.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 11-12-15 at 04:36AM

11-12-15 08:17AM
knit1curl2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for knit1curl2 Click here to Send knit1curl2 a Private Message Find more posts by knit1curl2 Add knit1curl2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knit1curl2
Harvey Hacksmasher

We all know people who have gone thru issues getting pregnant.

Don't ask a woman IF she is pregnant, don't ask her if she and her partner are planning or trying to have a child. Yes, asking a woman if she is trying to get pregnant is up there with asking her if she is pregnant. Women get this enough from their mothers, aunts, grandmothers, etc. Unless you are close enough to ask if the person is pregnant don't ask if they are trying.

Continue on with your rant against political correctness, but please have some empathy to your fellow man and think before you ask personal questions.

11-12-15 08:20AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs up Agree

quote:
Taking advantage of public forums to attract attention to oneself and tell the public at large about your personal life, and then trying to control the comments of others which are directly related to the information one very voluntarily made very public is incredibly artificial and manipulative.
If you're going to make public comments about your life, you need to be able to accept all forthcoming comments, be they positive, negative, or neutral.

You can't say things and then demand that you'll only accept positive commentary. That's not how life works.

and I think asking a person who is constantly posting about thier child if they are having another..
is a prety "normal" question....

end of...

Last edited by HotRocks on 11-12-15 at 08:23AM

11-12-15 08:31AM
knit1curl2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for knit1curl2 Click here to Send knit1curl2 a Private Message Find more posts by knit1curl2 Add knit1curl2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knit1curl2
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Agree

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HotRocks

and I think asking a person who is constantly posting about thier child if they are having another..

end of...

[/QUOTE

Nope. Two completely different things. You can ask about the child they are posting about however you should not ask about the child they are or not trying to conceive.

11-12-15 08:42AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs down Why Not?

quote:
Originally posted by knit1curl2
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HotRocks
I think asking a person who is constantly posting about thier child if they are having another..
[/QUOTE

Nope. Two completely different things. You can ask about the child they are posting about however you should not ask about the child they are or not trying to conceive.

pretty Pathetic that Fans are now censored on what they can ask...
If a sports hero of mine said "none of your business.."..I'd be gone.. like I am now...
Back to Curling....

Last edited by HotRocks on 11-12-15 at 08:45AM

11-13-15 04:15AM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Agree

quote:

and I think asking a person who is constantly posting about thier child if they are having another.. is a prety "normal" question....

We can ask any question(s) we choose to ask - especially in a circumstance like this where SHE is the one who opened the door to her personal life, not us.
We can ask any question we choose to ask... and she can give any answer she chooses to give... or she can choose to not answer at all. I believe this is called freedom or some such thing.

For someone to be offended or feel threatened by simple, benign questions or comments such as the ones Jill referred to reveals more about her negative character traits than it does about those of the people asking the questions / making the comments.

Last edited by On The Nose on 11-13-15 at 04:24AM

11-13-15 05:58AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

The dark world of the Internet is a minefield. There are celebrities (D list to A list) who never post about their personal life, and others who make a living off it. The more you put out there, the more the public wants to know. There are lots of creeps out there, my personal opinion would be to never talk about your under age children except in a very broad context and stick to topics like curling.

11-13-15 08:19AM
knit1curl2
Harvey Hacksmasher

You can ask any question you like, it doesn't mean you should.

Asking a woman if she is trying to have a baby is up there with asking her if she is pregnant. Just, don't do it.

I speak for all my friends who have struggled and lost children during pregnancy.

11-13-15 08:40AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Of course there are people who put social conventions aside and will ask anybody any question.

We call them dickheads.

11-13-15 05:10PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

I believe it has everything to do with 'political correctness' - and the inherent hypocrisy of same.

Are you suggesting that minding one's own business is a politically correct notion?

quote:

If people truly want others to mind their own business, then people would not reveal personal anecdotes or circumstances of their personal lives in a public forum. It's quite simple, really.

It makes perfect sense. It means that she should be open to receiving any questioning, comments, praise, or criticism on any topic directly related to what she has proudly revealed in any public forum.

No, not EVERYTHING - but she should certainly be prepared to receive any sort of comment on any topic - personal or otherwise - which she herself has voluntarily introduced in a public forum.
She certainly accepts positive comments and compliments which directly relate to the things she reveals in her public forum - so she needs to accept the negative comments, as well. Taking advantage of public forums to attract attention to oneself and tell the public at large about your personal life, and then trying to control the comments of others which are directly related to the information one very voluntarily made very public is incredibly artificial and manipulative.
If you're going to make public comments about your life, you need to be able to accept all forthcoming comments, be they positive, negative, or neutral. You can't say things and then demand that you'll only accept positive commentary. That's not how life works.You would likely brand me a fool if I responded to your post by saying that what I wrote is none of your business, and that I will accept only positive, approving comments about my post. And you would be completely right in branding me a fool if I did that. I see no difference.

I assume then that you think it is perfectly appropriate for someone to ask her how much sex she is having? After all, she brought up the fact that she has reproduced. She needs to be open to any and all personal reproductive questions. I mean how far do you want to take this?

In my opinion, people shouldn't ask personal questions of people who are not their friends. It's not about being politically correct, it's about minding one's own business. But, if you absolutely must discuss the content of her blogs with her, I think it's more than fair that people discuss the actual content (her actual kid) rather than topics she does not cover (any potential future kid).

11-13-15 05:17PM
peteski
Drawmaster

Re: Why Not?

quote:

pretty Pathetic that Fans are now censored on what they can ask...
If a sports hero of mine said "none of your business.."..I'd be gone.. like I am now...
Back to Curling....

Censored? Relax. Would you ask her how much sex she's having? If not, are you being censored?

11-14-15 04:14AM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
You can ask any question you like, it doesn't mean you should.

Asking a woman if she is trying to have a baby is up there with asking her if she is pregnant. Just, don't do it.

I speak for all my friends who have struggled and lost children during pregnancy.

This ^ is exactly the 'politically correct' BS I'm referring to - wanting everyone to be afraid to speak, as what one says may possibly, under some circumstances, 'offend' some overly-sensitive person.
By your 'politically correct' standard, we musn't ask anyone 'How are you?' - because they may have cancer or some other type of terminal disease... or they may have lost a loved one to illness and are 'offended' by any question relating to health.
I think people like you who try to dictate what people can and can't say because of your fears should lock yourselves in your bathrooms and never come out, because you're simply too afraid of life to interact with others.
You are so afraid that you actually want to control what people say.
Wow.

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar
Of course there are people who put social conventions aside and will ask anybody any question.

We call them dickheads.

^ No... they are called people who simply refuse to obey the absurd rules of 'political correctness'. Such people don't tolerate BS well.

quote:
Are you suggesting that minding one's own business is a politically correct notion?

^ For the umpteenth time - Jill has removed the element of it not being our business by very voluntarily opening the door to her personal life in a public forum. By doing this, SHE has inherently told us that her personal life IS our business.
But then she's trying to say that her personal life is only our business if we make comments or ask questions she approves of. This is the definition of manipulation and hypocrisy.

quote:
I assume then that you think it is perfectly appropriate for someone to ask her how much sex she is having? After all, she brought up the fact that she has reproduced. She needs to be open to any and all personal reproductive questions. I mean how far do you want to take this?

^ Now you're just being silly.
Indeed, anyone has the right to ask anyone else any question they want. As I said before - we all have the right to ask questions - whether those questions reveal the person asking to be a genius or a moron. And the other party has a right to respond to the question or not.
The questions/comments that Jill is whining and complaining about are extremely benign - it takes a pretty 'stuck up', self-important person to be offended by those questions.

quote:
In my opinion, people shouldn't ask personal questions of people who are not their friends. It's not about being politically correct, it's about minding one's own business. But, if you absolutely must discuss the content of her blogs with her, I think it's more than fair that people discuss the actual content (her actual kid) rather than topics she does not cover (any potential future kid).

^ Well, in my opinion - and I believe the opinion of basic common sense -, if you don't want people to ask you questions regarding certain aspects of your personal life and/or want people to 'mind their own business', then you quite obviously and most certainly do not post details of those aspects of your personal life in a public forum.
This is a 'no-brainer'.

11-14-15 05:07AM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

^ Now you're just being silly.
Indeed, anyone has the right to ask anyone else any question they want. As I said before - we all have the right to ask questions - whether those questions reveal the person asking to be a genius or a moron. And the other party has a right to respond to the question or not.
The questions/comments that Jill is whining and complaining about are extremely benign - it takes a pretty 'stuck up', self-important person to be offended by those questions.

So, we agree that anyone has the right to ask anyone else any question they want, and that there are some questions that if asked reveal the questioner to be a moron. We both agree that there is a line that can be crossed that puts the questioner into moron territory, we simply don't agree on where that line should be. In other words, yes you can ask any question you want. It doesn't mean you should.

quote:

This ^ is exactly the 'politically correct' BS I'm referring to - wanting everyone to be afraid to speak, as what one says may possibly, under some circumstances, 'offend' some overly-sensitive person.
By your 'politically correct' standard, we musn't ask anyone 'How are you?' - because they may have cancer or some other type of terminal disease... or they may have lost a loved one to illness and are 'offended' by any question relating to health.
I think people like you who try to dictate what people can and can't say because of your fears should lock yourselves in your bathrooms and never come out, because you're simply too afraid of life to interact with others.
You are so afraid that you actually want to control what people say.
Wow.

No one is trying to dictate what people can and cannot say, merely what one should and should not. And since we just agreed that there are questions that one shouldn't ask, then I don't see the problem.

Sure, people can be overly sensitive about a lot of things. That's way down on the list of why asking a woman you don't know about her reproductive plans is not cool (even if you read a blog by her where she discussed the fact that she had, in fact, reproduced before).

quote:

^ No... they are called people who simply refuse to obey the absurd rules of 'political correctness'. Such people don't tolerate BS well.

But, we just agreed that there are people who put social conventions aside and ask anything and that those people are morons. I'll go further and agree that they are also dickheads.

quote:

^ For the umpteenth time - Jill has removed the element of it not being our business by very voluntarily opening the door to her personal life in a public forum. By doing this, SHE has inherently told us that her personal life IS our business.
But then she's trying to say that her personal life is only our business if we make comments or ask questions she approves of. This is the definition of manipulation and hypocrisy.

Her personal life is not our business now or ever. If we are interested she has volunteered some information. Great.
Who made the rule that you must talk about all aspects of your personal life if you talk about any of it? Why wasn't I notified? Besides, we already agreed that there are some moronic questions that should not be asked. Presumably, this is because the answers are still none of our business.

quote:

^ Well, in my opinion - and I believe the opinion of basic common sense -, if you don't want people to ask you questions regarding certain aspects of your personal life and/or want people to 'mind their own business', then you quite obviously and most certainly do not post details of those aspects of your personal life in a public forum.
This is a 'no-brainer'.

But, she didn't post details about those aspects of her personal life. She posted details about her current family. Nothing about any future family members. If this was all the same category, than surely she should expect to have to field questions about her sex life too. But, we agreed that she shouldn't because that would be moronic.