Foster Final
Lacoursiere (7) Watch Live Curling!
Doig Final
Shand (8) Watch Live Curling!
Anderson Final
Miskiman (7) Watch Live Curling!
Streifel Final
Quintin (8) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Red Deer Curling classic

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-19-18 09:08PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

Exactly, no one will take blame for their own actions anymore.

To even come up with such a scenario.

There would never be bars making a profit anywhere if that happened and I did not read anywhere, where they were forced to drink.

It is pretty evident that Fry was probably enjoying a spiel that was not so competitive, along with the rest of the team. A kind of break for Fry.

Totally agree...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-19-18 09:17PM
Clappy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clappy Click here to Send Clappy a Private Message Find more posts by Clappy Add Clappy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
would you agree that the only criminal act was the overservfing by the club ?

btw in Canada it is illegal to over serve

I wasn't there, but if they did overserve them, then that would be a criminal act. But, desctruction of property is a criminal act too. Also in the US it is against the law to swear in front of children...at least in some state...maybe all of them. It's also against the law to be drunk and disorderly. So, no that would not have been the only illegal activity. But that wasn't what was being argued. It was putting all of the blame on the club.

11-19-18 09:18PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Sponsors

As a former sponsor of curling teams over the years I would be VERY interested how the sponsors of all 4 players are feeling right now. If it was me, I'd be thinking, why am I giving my hard earned money to the likes of these guys only to have it wasted on swill. Then to have them pasted all over the media world acting like drunken idiots, with my company logo being represented every time they step into a club or on the ice. Yes I fully understand guys like to let loose now and again but that was neither the time nor the place. It's hard enough as it is finding sponsors, the rest of the curling world doesn't need these guys ruining it for everyone else.

11-19-18 09:55PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

4 guys go into a bar.......
Ok I’ll finish.
They have had 4 beer elsewhere. They are served a beer in the new bar. They get belligerent and wreck things. Whose fault is it?

11-19-18 09:56PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca congrats to hartung team !! qa new generation - fun to watch these youngsters moving up - [/B]
Agree! Have watched them travel and curl with dad Jeff and without, Slicing through big names,steadily qualifying regularly. Glad to see them overtake Bottcher who feels kind of "entitled" but maybe that's just me. Go Hartung Go. #OhYeah

11-19-18 11:16PM
Curling1965 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling1965 Find more posts by Curling1965 Add Curling1965 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling1965
Knee-Slider

Re: Sponsors

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
As a former sponsor of curling teams over the years I would be VERY interested how the sponsors of all 4 players are feeling right now. If it was me, I'd be thinking, why am I giving my hard earned money to the likes of these guys only to have it wasted on swill. Then to have them pasted all over the media world acting like drunken idiots, with my company logo being represented every time they step into a club or on the ice. Yes I fully understand guys like to let loose now and again but that was neither the time nor the place. It's hard enough as it is finding sponsors, the rest of the curling world doesn't need these guys ruining it for everyone else.

But they didn’t have any sponsors involved....

Fry I am sure was out there sparing for fun.

11-19-18 11:23PM
Clappy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clappy Click here to Send Clappy a Private Message Find more posts by Clappy Add Clappy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

But he's associated with Team Jacobs sponsors. If he did that on his own free time completely away from the sport of curling, the sponsors will still take exception to his actions.

11-20-18 04:36AM
Curling1965 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling1965 Find more posts by Curling1965 Add Curling1965 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling1965
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Clappy
But he's associated with Team Jacobs sponsors. If he did that on his own free time completely away from the sport of curling, the sponsors will still take exception to his actions.

This is getting too much to not speak up more ...

It's a shame how quick everyone is to judge, and how a few quotes in the media can twist a story and get blown up. Do you understand you're tarnishing other peoples lives with a mistake?

I was an onsite spectator at the event, and it was clear that the team was over-served at the rink. They sat at a table since the morning draw until right before the afternoon game. They had a collection of bottles at the table, and no one at the rink cut them off prior. Although they are grown men, it's important to point this out while the manager is saying the team showed up to the second game plastered.

I would like to point out the details of how the team acted, although not impressive, was also exaggerated. Fry was not aggressive, he was trying to be humorous. He jokingly popped a broom head off during the game, and the crowd even laughed in the beginning. They were loud, they were obnoxious, but they were never aggressive or "fighting".

There are also claims that they "destroyed" a change room when there were a couple small dents on a locker. This apparent hole in the wall was assuming - How many other athletes were in that change room that day?

Again, I don't think getting drunk was right here whatsoever. But some people are getting a taste of fame, and blowing this up more than what is is for a moment in the spotlight. The headlines are ruthless and the details twisted.

11-20-18 07:52AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Curling1965

This is getting too much to not speak up more ...

It's a shame how quick everyone is to judge, and how a few quotes in the media can twist a story and get blown up. Do you understand you're tarnishing other peoples lives with a mistake?

I was an onsite spectator at the event, and it was clear that the team was over-served at the rink. They sat at a table since the morning draw until right before the afternoon game. They had a collection of bottles at the table, and no one at the rink cut them off prior. Although they are grown men, it's important to point this out while the manager is saying the team showed up to the second game plastered.

I would like to point out the details of how the team acted, although not impressive, was also exaggerated. Fry was not aggressive, he was trying to be humorous. He jokingly popped a broom head off during the game, and the crowd even laughed in the beginning. They were loud, they were obnoxious, but they were never aggressive or "fighting".

There are also claims that they "destroyed" a change room when there were a couple small dents on a locker. This apparent hole in the wall was assuming - How many other athletes were in that change room that day?

Again, I don't think getting drunk was right here whatsoever. But some people are getting a taste of fame, and blowing this up more than what is is for a moment in the spotlight. The headlines are ruthless and the details twisted.

Agreed. It's rather ridiculous how this is reported; the boys apologized, Fry has offered to pay damages. I have even seen some news outlets (*cough*CBC*cough*) use KEVIN Koe's image, I assume, for clickbait.

11-20-18 09:36AM
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
clapper - you should spend more time worrying about the lying buffoon criminal you elected president and less time posting about the losers that run the red deer curling club

if you get rid of him - ill get the club FINED OR shut down for over serving

You're a class act.

11-20-18 09:44AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards

Agreed. It's rather ridiculous how this is reported; the boys apologized, Fry has offered to pay damages. I have even seen some news outlets (*cough*CBC*cough*) use KEVIN Koe's image, I assume, for clickbait.

An apology might suffice if it were indeed BOYS who behaved this way. But it was grown men. 4 of them. Of course they're going to 'apologize' - they have no other viable option if they wish to lessen the damage to their reputations. But such 'apologies' will fool only the blind and/or biased.
Sorry, but any 'apology' rings very hollow, for there is no excusing such behaviour from grown adults.

As for who is responsible for the mess - the 4 players and the club/bar/bartender are equally responsible, of course. One cannot expect drunk people to act rationally and stop themselves. Therefore, the responsibility to stop them from drinking lies with the sober, clear thinking persons around them, and especially the person(s)/entity serving them the alcohol.
The club was right to kick them out, but was wrong to continue to serve them alcohol.

That said, of course the 4 players bear the responsibility of their actions, as they are grown adults.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

11-20-18 03:04PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

ML,

The sponsors - especially Curling Canada - will likely all update their player conduct contract clauses. It's not just about current sponsors but any who have their logo plastered in the past on a player who later pops up publically plastered.

There'll be another big set of meetings to change the conduct rules just like Broomgate.

Waiting for someone to come up with a snappy name for this boozy chapter in curling history.

11-20-18 04:15PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

How about Boozegate or Beergate?

11-20-18 05:28PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Theme song

Ma Ma Ma MY CORONAS

11-21-18 07:37AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Significant discipline from World Curling Tour unlikely.

https://canoe.com/curling/significa...c3-100ee4c83730

11-21-18 09:54AM
Curling1965
Knee-Slider

The damage of the media is done already with the club manager hitting the paper without a proper investigation. Shame.

“I’m not expecting any real significant discipline at this point based on what I’ve heard from other players and the club,” Geurts said.

“I’ve talked to the teams that were directly affected by these things and some of the stories out there are true and some of them are not.”

https://winnipegsun.com/curling/sig...obox=1542763629

11-21-18 01:43PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Fry taking a leave of absence from curling. In his statement he takes full responsibility in his actions and vows that something like this will never happen again. Oh, and not even a hint on laying the blame on anyone else.

11-21-18 01:49PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

This is the only recourse that makes sense. Best wishes Ryan.

Here is his statement, and Team Jacobs'

https://www.facebook.com/teambradja...?type=3&theater

11-21-18 02:14PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

I have to give Ryan Fry credit for realizing this is the proper thing to do. In today's world it seems so easy to not take responsibility for bad choices and his was very bad in Red Deer. This was not really a "boys being boys" problem or a server of alcohol issue. I hope to see him back with Team Jacobs as soon as possible.

11-21-18 02:51PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Fry taking a leave of absence from curling. In his statement he takes full responsibility in his actions and vows that something like this will never happen again. Oh, and not even a hint on laying the blame on anyone else.

I believe this episode has taught a lesson to Ryan. Best of luck kiddo. Hope to see you back soon.

11-21-18 03:24PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Right course of action, wishing him the best in the time off.

As for Jamie I'd like to either see him start anew with a new team or maybe join his bro's team as a Fifth player, I think Kevin would be a good influence on him. According to his sis, Jamie has a real passion for the sport.

11-21-18 03:36PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

from CBC

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...acobs-1.4914945

11-21-18 03:47PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Cue the rumours about who will take Ryan's place on the team!

11-21-18 04:06PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
Cue the rumours about who will take Ryan's place on the team!

Maybe we will have to watch the Grand Slam of curling site, with Teams playing at the National.

There is already at TBA for Team Jacobs third.

http://www.thegrandslamofcurling.co...nal-mens-teams/

11-21-18 04:24PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Dinging the club manager for talking to the press before a "full" investigation? Egads. That's up there with boys-will-be-boys excuses, blame the bartender (who did cut off the seriously inebriated!), and the WCT softpedaling the seriousness of what happened in Red Deer hiding behind an excuse of no prior written alcohol conduct rules.

We already have the "Spirit of Curling" lines about distracting an opponent and honourable conduct - written lines sitting on top of all curling rulebooks. Do they not appear on WCT rulebooks? Is not being so drunk one can't play or becomes a distraction de facto dishourable?

"A good curler never attempts to distract an opponent or otherwise prevent him from playing his best. No curler ever deliberately breaks a rule of the game or any of its traditions. But, if he should do so inadvertently and be aware of it, he is the first to divulge the breach.
While the main object of the game of curling is to determine the relative skill of the players, the spirit of the game demands good sportsmanship, kindly feeling and honourable conduct."

Today, I salute Team Jacobs - all of them - from the skip's eloquent Facebook post to its member who needs time to rethink his interactions with alcohol. Mr. Fry was among the very "first to divulge his breach." He has never blamed anyone but himself. Good for him!

I've been curling almost 30 years. When I started playing, many smoked on the ice and carried hip flasks. Now the ice and bars are smoke free, and when we see someone drinking enough not to be able to drive, there is a quiet race to take away their car keys. Times change. The days of sitting at a table with multiple drinks encouraging binge drinking are over for curlers unless they want to be a punchline to a joke.