Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
08-17-17 10:56PM
SmokeyJoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeyJoe Find more posts by SmokeyJoe Add SmokeyJoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by AK267
Now to the $64 question....what about the Trials themselves?

This is a good improvement.

We should call this the "Birr Rule"

It would be more appropriate to call this the Clark Rule

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

08-21-17 11:29AM
jimivey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jimivey Click here to Send jimivey a Private Message Find more posts by jimivey Add jimivey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimivey
Harvey Hacksmasher

Another update on Team Birr, from their Facebook page (www.facebook.com/Team-T-Birr-847772695318741):
-----
"Team Birr is happy to announce the addition of Hunter Clawson to our team for the 2017-18 season! We're very excited to have such a great young player to the team. First event is Oakville, ON over Labor Day Weekend! Welcome Hunter!"
-----
Looks like they're doing everything possible to put themselves in position for a serious run at the trials, adding a strong, young player to the team and lining up a competitive schedule.

08-21-17 11:33AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Nice pickup both ways.

Team Birr gets the kid squeezed out of HPP by the numbers game, Hunter gets a solid team to transition to his first year post juniors.

I like it. I gotta wonder how that works for Hunter though, being based in Maryland and team Birr being based out of....very much not Maryland...I suspect either a lot of frequent flyer miles for him, or a move out of the Clawson Nest (which makes me as a Potomac Member a little sad, but in that "Yep, gotta do it" kinda way...I hate how our best players have to leave to get anywhere beyond the Clubs level).

08-21-17 11:42AM
jimivey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jimivey Click here to Send jimivey a Private Message Find more posts by jimivey Add jimivey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimivey
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
I gotta wonder how that works for Hunter though, being based in Maryland and team Birr being based out of....very much not Maryland.

At least according to the team info on CurlingZone, there isn't a single co-located team in the Trials, so they all deal with the same issue (except the HPP teams presumably have the advantage of funding for training/practice travel).

Team Clark: Seattle, Fairbanks, Minneapolis, Seattle

Team Brown: Madison, Madison, Minneapolis, Seattle

Team Shuster: Duluth, Duluth, McFarland, Duluth

Team McCormick: Sarnia, Duluth, Duluth, Milwaukee

08-27-17 07:44PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Just an FYI,

Curling Night in America went well...had a new record attendance of just over 7300 (all three days).

As for the trials, heard that they've sold nearly 2000 week-long packages!!!!

Had fun being an off-ice official.

09-17-17 12:56AM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Read on the Team Birr Face Book page that their USOC appeal will be heard Sept 21.

09-21-17 11:42PM
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Read on the Team Birr Face Book page that the arbitration session is over.

Looks like it was a long session. Started at 9am and didn't conclude until 7pm (with breaks no doubt). Not sure if this is the norm or if it's due to the complexities of the case. Probably lots of data, documents and scrolling through the USCA's selection process.

The team hopes for a quick decision.

Hope they win their appeal.

09-27-17 01:38PM
jimivey
Harvey Hacksmasher

Another update from Team Birr, from their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/TeamTBirr/...468427663253238):

-----

Well the decision is in.....

TEAM BIRR IS HEADED TO THE OLYMPIC TRIALS IN OMAHA IN NOVEMBER!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

A huge thanks to everyone who sent us well wishes and notes both public and private. And a huge thanks to our counsel Marc Beyer for fighting the good fight with us and putting so much time and energy into this! Words cannot express our gratitude to you sir! Also a thank you to everyone involved in the process. These are not always pretty things to deal with, but the process is there for a reason.

So now it's time to get ready....really ready! Lots of work to do and lots of practice to get in before November!

AGAIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING YOU ALL DID TO HELP US THROUGH THIS PROCESS!

-----

09-27-17 02:03PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

I think this is great not only for Team Birr but also good for fair play and strong competition in US Curling. If Derek's boys and girls are as good as he thinks they are, they should emerge victorious at the trials. There won't be any nanny organization protecting our teams from elimination or upset results at the Olympics (or the worlds for that matter). If you want to be the best, play the best. I'll bet the teams would prefer it that way, too, even at the risk of an upset.

One could view this appeal result as a repudiation of a highly arbitrary process to select our Olympic trialsrepresentatives, and one that did not live up to ethical standards and fair play. Maybe USA Curling needs to contemplate some changes after this Olympic cycle is complete.

09-27-17 02:16PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Hmmmm... No mention of this on the USCA site... Unless I'm missing it somewhere... Why would they not post that???

09-27-17 03:08PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

So who is going to make up Birrs team at trials then? I assume it will be Hunter rather than Rich

09-27-17 10:16PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Posted on the USCA homepage:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...ic-Trials-field

"A majority of the Panel having decided that Team Birr met its burden of proof, that the Selection Committee did not properly follow the Selection Criteria and abused its discretion, Team Birr should be given a berth in the 2018 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for curling.”

Note the wording used... "abused its discretion"

09-27-17 10:59PM
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Sorry for deleting my previous posts....realized it wasn't the USOC but a three-panel USCA board. My bad.

But still, this has gotta sting for the USCA and I wonder (post Olympics) if they'll do a post mortum on the process. I think they should lest they find themselves in a similar situation.

09-28-17 08:51AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

A just decision.
I thought this hearing was outside the USCA and was surprised to see a 3 person curling panel heard the appeal. A 2-1 vote with Dave Russell and Jessica Schultz voting with Birr and Mark Swandby against. Although I believe another appeal can be made I think it is in the best interest of all to move on and let them play. Unfortunately the team dynamic was altered with the loss of Rich R who I believe shot the highest percentage at last years championship form the vice position.

Good luck Team Birr.

09-28-17 09:14AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Having spoken with Hunter at the club last night, you are correct, CurlKY (quick...mark this in the calendar....) Hunter Clawson is on Team Birr for the Trials. Rich is in the trials with his new team.

09-29-17 12:33AM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Good on Team Birr for fighting on ice and off ice, too! Huzzah to Mr. Russell and Ms. Schultz for honoring the Spirit of Curling and going against the Powers That Be. I'd given up all hope with USCA, Inc. and those two restored a bit of it for me.

Wishing we had at least one more women's team for the Trials and amused to see the all-male list of Trials Selectors committee on the latest USCA press release. Any bets if that committee will open a last minute earn-it-on-ice (TV Drama!) women's Trials slot? Or does that committee not have such discretion?

09-29-17 07:56AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

They do not have any authority to do that, as the rules and procedures for the trials had to be submitted to and approved by the USOC over a year ago, and no such contingency was put in place.

It would also go against their "We can't risk a team getting hot and going despite being unprepared" mantra....so they wouldn't do it anyhow.

09-29-17 02:12PM
IMWright
Swing Artist

Anyone know if the full decision is/will be public record, and if so, where that would be published?