Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Is TV Ruining Curling?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-12-16 06:44AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Is TV Ruining Curling?

I came across this article from about a year ago, and found its perspective interesting. I believe it has merit.

Seeing as we're at the tail end of the most concentrated 6 weeks or so of curling on TV of the season, I thought it fitting to throw this out for discussion now...

Do you agree or disagree with this...?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-home-1.3004302

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-12-16 07:08AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

NO it isnt

Seems the whole point of the article was the need for an overhead view..
This has been solved in many of the events now with a massive Screen strategically placed..

04-12-16 07:42AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

I think TV is affecting curling. But on the other hand, older people, broke people, would never get to travel to all these events and see the wonderful game!

04-12-16 11:24AM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Not everyone can plunk down a few hundred bucks to over a thousand (and more if you want to fly overseas or see the Olympics) to see these events. Curling has its fan base but asking them for that kind of a financial commitment is a big stretch.

If it wasn't for YouTube/NBC/ESPN3.com many fans outside Canada would be locked out with few options.

04-12-16 11:44AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

Betteridge's law of headlines.

Nothing is ruining curling. Curling's relative decline in Canada is explained mostly by demographics, with every other purported explanation accounting for pretty much nothing in the grand scheme of things.

04-12-16 11:51AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

what is "ruining" curling is having professional curlers play on perfect ice now with even better sweeping techniques, all of which makes for more and more of the same ends. First rock in house, corner guard, top of house, corner guard and then start clearing everything, often with all too easy [for them] runback shots -- resulting all too often in another blank end. It used to be exciting watching the elite curlers with lots of rocks in play, now that happens only in skins games. While these guys get better and better, the games get more and more boring to watch.

04-13-16 10:16AM
Lovemycurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lovemycurling Click here to Send Lovemycurling a Private Message Find more posts by Lovemycurling Add Lovemycurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lovemycurling
Hitting Paint

TV ruining curling???

I love it on TV. What really ticks me off is that they don't show the full event. Thanks to Steve tonight, I got to watch one of the first games. I wish if the TV programs didn't televise it - well how can they when they have up to 15 channels showing hockey - same game or soccer - or 16 showing the golf event. that they would at least stream it without paying our whole life's savings to have to get on the station. I already pay for getting the sports channels on my satelitte, so it should be included with the package I think we should book a channel for the year somehow so we can see all the curling events, not just the final players. I think it would stimulate the lesser players to play harder. This broom issue has to be resolved though because truly I can see where it is like have a 20 speed bike in lieu of a 3 speed and really does give an advantage to those who use it. Are these players using it going to be able to adjust back to the standard improved brooms.

Curling on TV and seeing the excitement like the World's was, just makes me want to go and see a game live if it would be possible. Would love to go to Vegas. It is a dream but it would have to be a lottery win or some windfall for me to be able to do it. It doesn't spoil it for someone who would never get that opportunity. It is a Canada sport, which I share the links of all over to my American friends and even watch some of the online livestreamed American curling on Espn I think it is and Bell because I can see something I truly enjoy without a bunch of swearing, fighting and pulling of pitchers (too early in baseball which is my other passion). There is something just quality about watching the curling and those who get eliminated at the beginning are just as important, pay the same money, try their best and they deserve to be on TV so they can be seen as well. Let's get full events on, not just the last part. The young Denmark team was thrilling to watch and gave the Koe team lots to keep alert for. I love watching the young teams evolve. It also opens them up to new teams should something happen like happened to Glenn Howard's team. I hope Wayne and Craig are improving in their health situations and miss them. IT also gives us something to tweet about to the teams to encourage them when needed if we have seen the games not just the scores. What do scores do? Just seeing the score doesn't show the plays although for some I know it definitely is nice to have someone make the effort to publish them.

Last edited by Lovemycurling on 04-13-16 at 10:20AM

04-14-16 01:46PM
watcher2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for watcher2 Click here to Send watcher2 a Private Message Find more posts by watcher2 Add watcher2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
watcher2
Harvey Hacksmasher

As far as televising international teams/games I don't watch it on tv and I certainly wouldn't watch it live if it were free.

If Edlin or whatever his name is wants to call himself Swedish champ then he should be playing in Sweden not Canada.

If CCA wants to sponsor international events then it should not be getting Canadian Sports Grants funded by Canadian tax payers. It can go to other countries for money and see how that works for them!

If CAC coaching programs are training coaches who go to other countries to coach, same with them. That 7 million dollars of Canadian tax payer money could go to support Canadian sport. After all, CAC has probably been the biggest cause of local sports programs failing and just shutting down because of lack of volunteer coaches.

Time as a country we smartened up and made sure our money when to support our programs, not elitist, kingdom building organizations who train other countries to beat us.

04-14-16 03:39PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Watcher, I take it that if you were the commissioner of the PGA than Rory McIlroy, Jason Day, Padraig Gerrington, Vijay Singh, Graham DeLait, David Hearn and Gary Player wouldn't be allowed to take part in the PGA (I'm referring to the Major) and folks like Jack, Arnie, Gary, Phil Mickelson & Tiger Woods wouldn't be allowed to play in "The Open" (or the "British Open" for the uneducated )?

This isn't The Scotties or the Brier.

04-14-16 03:53PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Back to the original question, we're living in a new society in which available media have taken over the lives of many-especially those who can no longer travel to attend curling events. There are several possible explanations-unemployment, retirement (you have to adjust your lifestyle!) that make it unfeasible to travel to events-and certainly, for want of a better word, "Cheryl/Russ/Vic" (or "Joan/Mike/Kevin/Rob"). If you're sitting 20 rows up at centre ice you just don't get the same value for your buck that you used to...for those who don't remember-and I'm sure that's most of you-there was a time when TV coverage of the Brier was limited to the last draw on Saturday (by which time the event was usually decided), with only one camera (NOT overhead!), with Don Chevrier and Don Duguid (there were others before him when Doogie was a player) doing an admirable play-by-play (for 10 points, who did the announcing before Chevvy?)

By the way, in those days telecasts were in black and white with no stereo or hi-def...I know it's hard to believe...

Anyway, I don't think that we'll ever see curling go back to the "Good Old Days" or as they say "Be careful what you wish for-your regional play downs are about to disappear too!"

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 04-14-16 at 04:04PM

04-14-16 10:52PM
Frozencanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frozencanuck Click here to Send Frozencanuck a Private Message Find more posts by Frozencanuck Add Frozencanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by ngm
Betteridge's law of headlines.

Nothing is ruining curling. Curling's relative decline in Canada is explained mostly by demographics, with every other purported explanation accounting for pretty much nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Totally agree. The other thing about demographics is that young people no longer watch TV, so for them what TV is or isn't doing is irrelevant

04-15-16 07:01AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

I will say this: I've been to live games with local cable TV coverage and games with a major broadcaster.
The sign that the game was being covered by community cable TV was only obvious by the camera people and equipment around an ice sheet.
The other game involving a major broadcaster was ridiculous. They insisted everyone sit on one side of the arena to make the crowd larger. Then we were treated to interminable ad-time waits between ends as the players rested chins forlornly on their broom handles. This 8 end game ran about 7 hours.
In that respect, yes TV can ruin the live experience.
Then again, we weren't subjected to the rictus grins of Russ, Mike H et al on the TV broadcast.