Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

Curling Scores

Click Event to Show Scoreboard
M: China Open
W: China Open
M: Curling Masters Champery
M: Challenge de Curling de Gatineau (Arena)
W: Paf Masters Tour
W: Canad Inns Women's Classic
W: Stirling Wheelchair Curling International
M: Medicine Hat Charity Classic
M: EJCT Oslo Junior Men
M: Rick Cotter Memorial Junior Mens Classic
M: Heather MJCT Bonspiel
M: Brampton U21 Junior Mens Cashspiel
M: OVCA Junior Superspiel Mens Qualifier
W: Medicine Hat Charity Classic
W: Rick Cotter Memorial Junior Womens Classic
W: Brampton U21 Junior Womens Cashspiel
W: OVCA Junior Superspiel Womens Qualifier
W: Heather MJCT Bonspiel
M: Challenge de Curling de Gatineau Open
W: Lady Monctonian Invitational Spiel
W: EJCT Oslo Junior Women
M: WCT Austrian Mixed Doubles Cup
Central European Time (CET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2018 World Womens, North Bay

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 7 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-13-18 09:13AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

2018 World Womens, North Bay

Should be a 2 horse race between Jennifer Jones & Anna Hasselborg.

Jones may be a bit lethargic with a huge gap between her amazing win at the STOH and North Bay while Hasselborg took on and defeated all comers at the Korean Olympics - including a very sour Rachel Homan and a foggy Eve Muirhead.

The biggest problem for Jones is the direct matchup between her and Hasselborg.

Team-wise - its very close - the swedes are younger and more athletic than Team JJ at lead to 3rd. Kaitlyn Lawes will have to be a difference-maker but I fear she won't be. Jones has to use Kaitlyn more like Coco Jones used Kim Kelly - ie. to sew up ends before she had to shoot. I fear she won't - very hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

Rest of field - playing for bronze - unless of course, either or both Hasselborg/Jones go into deep funks.

I think the worst Jones can do is 7-4 and nab 3rd in the page; realistically JJ should be 10-1 or 9-2 same as Anna

The Wild Cards is Jamie Sinclair of USA. Think she's the best USA has to offer and can make her way to the playoffs.

H Fleming - will stand 1 game over or 1 game under .500

If the Koreans are on their game they can challenge Sweden or Canada in any given match - but if Jones or Hasselborg are running on all 8 cylinders Korea cannot possibly stand up to that sort of shot-pelting.

The standard bearer for upsets is Binia Feltscher - the happy-go-lucky Swiss Miss. She has that amazing ability to defensively nullify almost any team she plays. She's a grinder of the highest degree - not particularly high percentage skip but her strategy is very effective - a higher level Krista McCarville if you will.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-17-18 11:13PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

JJ gets off to a quick start Saturday in front of impressive sell-out crowds over 3,000 rabid curling fans.

Kicks over a fawn in Kubnesova (Czech) in her first outing and then topples a relative giant in Switzerland's Bini Feltscher in her 2nd

Jones seemed suitably befuddled by the ice conditions - even threw a Kelly Scott-inspired takeout that ran out of steam before it rubbed off the target rock. Don't know what Jones was thinking but it was only 4th or 5th end and she hadn't had a real game in weeks.

Even got emboldened enough to insert Shannon Birchard (who proceeded to nearly wipe out on her first slide - STILL MADE THE SHOT BTW - at 3rd.

JJ obviously likes to build to a crescendo so she was a bit off in both her games - but with a super team behind her - she had a relatively easy Day 1.

Anna Hasselborg still lurks. I just don't know if Jennifer has enough shots in her quiver to subdue the athletic and well-trained swedes. Jones still slides well - but she's developed an awkward hitch in her backswing from the hack.

Her team can stand up to Hasselborg - might even be a bit superior but I don't think Jen can stand up to Anna - that's the only matchup that counts - cuz no matter how good or bad Jones plays - her assumption is that she's ALWAYS PLAYING GREAT - JJ is also a far more madcap risk-taker than Anna - and that alone could be Jones' undoing in any face-to-face confrontations these two fine teams may have.

03-18-18 04:54AM
skwerl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skwerl Find more posts by skwerl Add skwerl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

The World Curling TV YouTube channel is my only way to watch the Worlds. They usually stream one match per draw which is great, but I have no idea how they choose the games. They are streaming all 12 of Japan’s round robin games. Can’t have anything to do with Olympic success as it’s not the same Japanese team and they’re only streaming 3 of Sweden’s games and 2 of Korea’s.

03-18-18 07:56AM
freezetothehack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freezetothehack Click here to Send freezetothehack a Private Message Find more posts by freezetothehack Add freezetothehack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freezetothehack
Hitting Paint

2 minutes for Tripping

Someone should send the video of the Swiss decision on the burnt rock to Canada's Olympic Team.

A show of class!

03-18-18 08:23AM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Harvey Hacksmasher

No page playoff

first and second go to semi-finals, 3 thru 6 play quarters. Straight knockout format. Certainly puts huge emphasis on finishing in the top two, but gives 2 more teams a chance at the playoffs.

According to commentators no tiebreaker games either. Head-to-head record counts and then draw to the button as last tie-breaker.

I you finish 3 to 6 you have to win there in a row to capture Gold.

Not sure I like the idea of a 6th place team being able to win the whole thing.

03-18-18 08:37AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Harvey Hacksmasher

It was a great move how the Swiss handled the burnt rock situation. True sportsmanship displayed. Reminds me of the quote in the movie “Men with Brooms” when the rival of the main characters allow the team to throw the rock again after the rock shatters. He states “ Do we want to win that way”?

The Swiss will still be a force in the tournament since they held it close with Canada despite having Binia having difficulty with draw weight.

03-18-18 08:38AM
skwerl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skwerl Find more posts by skwerl Add skwerl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: No page playoff

quote:
Originally posted by Curlwalker
first and second go to semi-finals, 3 thru 6 play quarters. Straight knockout format. Certainly puts huge emphasis on finishing in the top two, but gives 2 more teams a chance at the playoffs.

According to commentators no tiebreaker games either. Head-to-head record counts and then draw to the button as last tie-breaker.

I you finish 3 to 6 you have to win there in a row to capture Gold.

Not sure I like the idea of a 6th place team being able to win the whole thing.

That can happen with the old formats. Rhona Martin’s Olympic Gold-winning GB team were 6th by head to head.

03-18-18 08:59AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by dks
It was a great move how the Swiss handled the burnt rock situation. True sportsmanship displayed. Reminds me of the quote in the movie “Men with Brooms” when the rival of the main characters allow the team to throw the rock again after the rock shatters. He states “ Do we want to win that way”?

The Swiss will still be a force in the tournament since they held it close with Canada despite having Binia having difficulty with draw weight.

Binia needs to find her draw weight - AND FAST. . . .
She's a tremendous competitor, I'm sure most Canadian fans regard her as their favourite swiss team.
Don't think she's had much game competition after winning her country. Savannah Tirinzoni was repping Suisse at Olympics - she'll find her way back to form - watch out if she does - BUT SHE REALLY NEEDS TO FIND HER DRAW WEIGHT - that's her primary weapon in stifling stronger teams from scoring points....

NOTE: Anyone else think the Czech skip is a dead ringer for Krista McCarville?

03-18-18 12:31PM
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Disaster for Team Fleming, giving Diana Gaspari a steal in the 10th and the extra.

The extra was pretty routine, good guards and missed ticks meant a draw to the button, but the 10th end was a travesty. 3 stones to come there was nothing in the house and the only guards were very wide corners. Hannah tried to draw to top 4 and left it top 12 for Diana to draw around. Such a high risk low reward shot. The only thing to be gained was an open hit for the win vs. an open draw to be fully in the 12 foot. Think they were suckered in by the lure of not having to stick the shooter on a takeout.

03-18-18 03:33PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

early observations:

really surprised to see switzerland struggling this much. they just don't seem comfortable at all. looking to go 0-3 after this afternoon. they have tons of experience and they can still turn it around . the good news for them is 6th will get them something and they can turn it around and get there but they need to figure this ice out. im thinking 4-5 losses will get you in but with no tiebreakers they also have to watch who they lose to

scotland being 0-2 on their way to 0-3 is also a surprise. this is a very good team but they , like switzerland just don't seem to be accustomed to this ice . i'd give them less likelihood to turn it around

russia looking strong. moiseeva is just so up and down. she they are on they are really world class. tough to beat and have to what it takes to compete with and beat anyone. will be interesting to see if they can keep it up though

but the difference in quality is really showing for the most part. a lot of one sided wins, which is unfortunate and never fun to see. i hope things settle down soon

just based of early draws though canada, united states, russia, sweden and korea should be there at the end. who that 6th team is is anyone's guess at this point. if switzerland figures things out it should be them. china and czech republic could also sneak in.

03-19-18 05:04PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Jones advances to 4-0.

China held their own with JJ but JJ decided to throw a couple rocks away just to keep the game close - test her charges!

They responded!

Jones, Sweden, Korea all tied, all unbeaten. Probably the 3 medallists unless Jones decides to throw more than a couple rocks away per game.

Funny thing - 6 losses might still snatch a playoff spot. . . . . so even the weak Scottish entry (Fleming 0-4) is still in play!

Jones trying to keep her charges aggressive and inspired. Hard task - very slow week with some really poor opponents.

At this point - if Sweden stays strong - they're slightly superior to Jones (mostly due to overall team consistency and conservative strategy).

Jones & Korea about the same after Sweden. Slight edge to Jones based on experience - but the difference now is negligible.

03-19-18 05:08PM
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Nightmare stuff for Scotland. 0-4 with all the big guns still to come.

Also didn’t expect such a strong start from what the world rankings would have us believe is Japan’s D-team.

03-19-18 06:00PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by skwerl
Nightmare stuff for Scotland. 0-4 with all the big guns still to come.

Also didn’t expect such a strong start from what the world rankings would have us believe is Japan’s D-team.

All-Powerful Scottish Curling Federation trying to load Team Princess Eve on an air freighter to North Bay - getting special permission to replay first 4 losses!!!!@@@

03-19-18 09:40PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Almost 50% into the event and the teams are starting to reveal who they really are.

Jennifer Jones will be in serious contention for a silver medal but I'm afraid she's not quite at the level of the Swedes.

Front ends - Canada is finally having fun but Dawn has stepped back at tad (she's still great) and Jilly is in the tournament of her life (her final big one) and showing the joy she's repressed for nearly 20 years curling with the intense JJ. However, Agnes & Sofia are probably a stronger, far more athletic and almost as good weight-judgers as the Manitoba pair.

Kaitlyn looks to be suffering from some post-Olympic sunburn. Still solid but may not be able to pull even with Sara McManus.

Then there's Jones. No question this isn't 2014 Olympic gold medallist, undefeated and unbeatable Jennifer - a force, a freak of nature.

Just don't think there's enough shots in the arsenal to stand up to the gentle shot-pelter Hasselborg - who's forged her way thru heartbreak to being the heart-braker of other team's dreams.

Not as morose or disconnected as the famed Canadian shot-pelter Homan, she's quietly efficient. Anna can play it gentle and nuanced when required - and then pelt you with an in-off double when the occasion demands.

Jones is missing too many shots. That extra half-shot missed and full shot blown should make silver - although she'll still have to fend off Feltscher, Russian, Korea, maybe USA to get into the golden game.

03-20-18 08:03AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

looks like binia and team switzerland have figured out the ice and binia has her draw weight down. looking at the numbers over the last 2 games and they are much better, more accustomed to what we are used to seeing from them.

81 and 84 for binia in her last 2 games and 88 and 89 for irene.

you knew they'd figure it out eventually , to much experience not to. i still think they'll end up on 4 or 5 losses simply because of the slow start but they should definitely be there at the end of the week

03-20-18 09:02AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

It is also a huge game for Sinclair. If Team USA wants to show improvement, these are the games they must win. And this game against an upper echelon team is very winnable.

Before the event I had Team USA at 4-5, with 3-6 not being out of the question. Kind of the same as Roth might have done. They have to beat teams ahead of them to make the statement they want to make and to build upon.

Team SUI is their only game today so focus or energy will not be an issue. Good luck!

03-20-18 09:30AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

I would have thought that a 7-4 lead going into 10 would be a win. But, if you play Russia, you have a chance,

03-20-18 09:50AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
I would have thought that a 7-4 lead going into 10 would be a win. But, if you play Russia, you have a chance,

I was watching it online and it was the worst display of strategy since the Sunday morning little rocks of 09. They should win that game 999/1000 even with the missed shots. Putting that many rocks in play and leaving that many rocks in play they deserved to lose.

03-20-18 11:03AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
looks like binia and team switzerland have figured out the ice and binia has her draw weight down. looking at the numbers over the last 2 games and they are much better, more accustomed to what we are used to seeing from them.

81 and 84 for binia in her last 2 games and 88 and 89 for irene.

you knew they'd figure it out eventually , to much experience not to. i still think they'll end up on 4 or 5 losses
simply because of the slow start but they should definitely be there at the end of the week

One month ago, in my assessment of the teams, I wrote the following about Switzerland's chances: In conclusion, should Switzerland bring their "A" game, a bronze is possible, but not probable. Anything less than "A", ZILCH.

Based on the results to date, it seems fairly clear the Swiss no longer have an "A" game. My current assessment is they will definitely lose at least 5 games before the playoffs but could even lose as many as (gasp! ) 7 which will send them packing early.

03-20-18 05:07PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Great performance by Team USA against Switzerland. Solid from end to end in a must-win game. Good game!!

03-20-18 05:45PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

6 losses prolly gets a playoff spot

With new format - I suspect 5 losses (7-5) guarantees a playoff spot (5 or 6) while a 6-6 record gives you a 50/50 chance for 6th outright - or tie-breaker.

Jamie Sinclair starting to find her way after getting blasted early. . . . . . still riding on John Shuster's gold medallions from Korea (which elevated all USA curling)

Feltscher is a battler - she'll keep pluggin' away - tryin' to nab the final entry (6-6)

03-21-18 09:47AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

Re: 6 losses prolly gets a playoff spot

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
With new format - I suspect 5 losses (7-5) guarantees a playoff spot (5 or 6) while a 6-6 record gives you a 50/50 chance for 6th outright - or tie-breaker.

There are no tie-breakers in this new format. Any ties will be broken by head to head record or Draw Shot Challenge total(s).

Win as many as you can and be good in the draw to the button.

03-21-18 10:18AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

No surprise Jones got tangled up with a fawn

Last nite going down to last brick vs. Fleming the Fawn (winless team)
As Russ Howard is now pointing out repeatedly Jennifer's wounds are usually self-inflicted by strategy that allows opposition rocks to accumulate while she plays her own game of house stacking.

She plays her game regardless of opponent - so that's the reason they rarely chart opposition tendencies, weaknesses and strengths. It do't matter. Jen plays Jen's game - nothing more, nothing less.

That act will trap some but when you step up in class you'll get scorched.

The new Superstar of World Curling - Anna Hasselborg will scorch JJ - - - if not in the round-robin, certainly in the playoff round.

Just too strong, too consistent and Jones team won't be able to turbo-boost Jen cuz Mabergs & Knonckenbauer have now surpassed Jill & Dawn as a top front end. Agnes is stronger and more powerful than Jill - not quite in Courtney's class while Mabergs is athletic, powerful and makes almost as many shots as Dawn.
McManus is normally not as good as Kaitlyn but Kaitlyn is trying to burn turn the candle at both ends - she's not completing as many shots as Sara.
Finally, as of right now - Super Anna is clearly superior to Jones in almost all ways - perhaps Jones still hold a slight edge in strategy, perhaps psychology.

Jones vast experience will still enable to make a game of it - but those extra half-shots missed and those unexpected clear whiffs will haunt her and downgrade her gold medal chances.

03-21-18 10:26AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Now that Bini Feltscher has completed her swiss prat-fall its basically 3 teams still in running for GOLD

Sweden - the athletic girls
Canada - the experienced girls
Korea - the tiny powerfouses

Basically the same package as predicted by most - perhaps Feltscher was a minor threat to Korea, now clearly not.

4th spot - and there will be one - is still up for grabs - Sinclair of USA is one that could factor in, same with Japan and owing to the draw don't completely rule out Feltscher to cling onto faint playoff hopes.

For Jones hopefully she can avoid Japan in the semi-finals and get a decisive entry into the final vs. Sweden. Even a silver medal is quite the accomplishment for Jones. Jill is on her last legs, Kaitlyn is clearly exhausted and Jones is no longer Jones.

The fact she'll have a chance to catch Anna on an off-day still gives Canadian women's curling hope.
When Jones is off and declining she still wins the vast majority of her games.
Too bad we can't say the same for Rachel Homan - who clearly disgraced the country with ineffective and unpopular play in Korea.

03-21-18 01:19PM
sport.nut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sport.nut Click here to Send sport.nut a Private Message Find more posts by sport.nut Add sport.nut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sport.nut
Swing Artist

I'm curious to see how the two games today play out for team Canada.

Korea appears to have a tendency to muck it up with a lot of stones in play along the center, really a very similar style to Jones. If neither changes up their style it should come down to who reads the ice best and which 2nd/3rd pairing is the hottest. I expect to see a lot of 2-3 point ends.

The Sweedes have show they will change play based on their opponent. As previously mentioned Jones will play how Jones plays. So the question is can the Sweedes force Jones out of her comfort zone? Will Jill be able to convince Jones adapt?