Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-24-15 07:37PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Sweden's Paulina Stein (lead) injured her ankle yesterday and won't be playing for the rest of the tournament. Their alternate (Anna Huhta) has been playing in her place and doing fairly well so far.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone was interested.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-24-15 07:52PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D
Sweden's Paulina Stein (lead) injured her ankle yesterday and won't be playing for the rest of the tournament. Their alternate (Anna Huhta) has been playing in her place and doing fairly well so far.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone was interested.

Thanks for the news.

11-24-15 07:52PM
jzwanzig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jzwanzig Click here to Send jzwanzig a Private Message Find more posts by jzwanzig Add jzwanzig to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jzwanzig
Harvey Hacksmasher

I was surprised to see a) a different team from the Czech Republic, rather than Jiri Snitl, and b) no representative from France on the men's side (even in the B division). Does anyone know how the CZ playdowns work, and also what is up with France men's curling?

p.s. Misty and ML, thanks for making up and keeping it real.

11-24-15 07:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by jzwanzig
I was surprised to see a) a different team from the Czech Republic, rather than Jiri Snitl, and b) no representative from France on the men's side (even in the B division). Does anyone know how the CZ playdowns work, and also what is up with France men's curling?

p.s. Misty and ML, thanks for making up and keeping it real.

France did have a team. there is also a C division of teams in europe and they compete in a tournament before the european championship starts. The top 2 teams in this C division get promoted up to the B division. France sent a team sent skipped by wilfrid coulot, however they lost in the C division playoffs and so missed the championship

11-24-15 08:02PM
jzwanzig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jzwanzig Click here to Send jzwanzig a Private Message Find more posts by jzwanzig Add jzwanzig to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jzwanzig
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

France did have a team. there is also a C division of teams in europe and they compete in a tournament before the european championship starts. The top 2 teams in this C division get promoted up to the B division. France sent a team sent skipped by wilfrid coulot, however they lost in the C division playoffs and so missed the championship

Ah, too bad. I always liked watching Tony Angiboust play, along with Thomas Dufour--very French, totally calm and detached.

11-24-15 08:05PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by jzwanzig

Ah, too bad. I always liked watching Tony Angiboust play, along with Thomas Dufour--very French, totally calm and detached.

yeah, they were always a team you could never underestimate. Sadly it seems that with them gone french curling has no one to take their place. curling isnt very popular in france, probably right down there at the bottom. Its sad but things are not in a good place and i dont think there is any interest in getting better

11-24-15 09:06PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

The weird thing was that France had a men's team in the B division last year, but for some reason no team played so they just lost all their games by default. I don't know what the story was there.

11-24-15 09:39PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by peteski
The weird thing was that France had a men's team in the B division last year, but for some reason no team played so they just lost all their games by default. I don't know what the story was there.

I don't know either but it was totally last-minute if I recall correctly.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

11-25-15 08:01AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Huge win for scotland this morning on the mens side and suddenly they are right back in it. at this point really no mens teams have been eliminated so far which is ridiculous

norway is running away with this . at this point they are going 11-0

the reigning womens champions of the world are on the verge of being eliminated though.

unless they can come back and beat scotland they will need denmark to come back and beat finland. If finland holds on and beats denmark that effectively knocks them out of playoff contention. at 4 losses they would need estonia to beat finland tonight and that doesnt seem likely. they would also need to beat sweden.

either way it doesnt look like switzerland are medaling here

Last edited by misty1 on 11-25-15 at 08:24AM

11-25-15 08:36AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

surprise of the event is finland. can they win a medal?

11-25-15 08:41AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

sweden/russia going an extra..even though sweden was up by 3

and switzerland is almost eliminated from playoff contention. they need an estonian win tonight and to beat sweden. they still have playoff aspirations but they are dim.

i got to say though that its nice to see that finland seems to be back in a good place in curling in both ladies and mens.

big win for germany too. with hungary last they have a good shot at finishing 7th and getting to worlds clear and good while norway will play the world group playoff...unless they upset scotland

Last edited by misty1 on 11-25-15 at 09:12AM

11-25-15 08:55AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

oh boy is this looking bad for sweden. no draw on the in turn side and sidorova can block off the out turn. she might have a double down the middle .there might also be some kind of hack weight shot on the inturn. doesnt look like anna can block both

difficult to see how sweden scores here

maybe a triple on the reds. long yellow tap..hack weight double

she's going with the tap. this might eliminate tiebreakers and set the 4 teams clear unless estonia can manage the huge upset over finland tonight

Last edited by misty1 on 11-25-15 at 08:57AM

11-25-15 08:58AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

to much weight and wow. up 9-6 and gave up 6 points in the last 2 ends

thats just a monumental collapse.

so now, unless estonia pulls out some real magic tonight we have our 4 playoff teams:

russia, denmark, scotland, finland.

11-25-15 09:11AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

No-brainer at the beginning I picked Russia, Denmark, Scotland but there had to be a 4th so Finland slithers in.

Surprised to see CC show a glimmer of emotion as she crapped out on her final 4 shots of the game to hand Russia a win.

I could really feel for her as you could tell she was devastated - even though she usually shows about as much emotion as a pineapple.

Just wonder how much more of this she can take before calling it a day?

finland got demolished by russia and scotland but they do have a couple good wins over denmark and switzerland so..maybe there's a possibility of a medal for them?

i do fell a bit for cici. but only a bit because i cant feel to bad for someone who was up 9-6 with 1 end left to play and lost 12-9.

how will she recover mentally for the game against switzerland is the question. there is still technically a chance she could get a tiebreaker with a win. not a very good chance because it reuires finland to lose to estonia but a chance all the same.

i guess i shouldnt have said switzerland was out of it earlier, that was wrong and just saying finland will win. estonia does have a chance so technically switzerland is still alive but it would be a huge upset if finland lost tonight

11-25-15 11:54AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Will placements here have an impact on men's and women's world championships qualifiers ?

I was looking at who may get relegated to the B flight, and who may receive battlefield promotions to A but thought that doesn't matter with the Olympics a couple years away. Then I thought of the world's and wondered if the Scotland/England men are in danger of not qualifying for World's this year?

I can't figure all of that out, but someone here must know.

11-25-15 12:37PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

relegation

I just heard last night on the world curling stream that HUNgary and ESTonia will be relegated...

dont know about the others..

11-25-15 04:00PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: relegation

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
I just heard last night on the world curling stream that HUNgary and ESTonia will be relegated...

dont know about the others..

yep. hungary and estonia on the womens side are relegated no matter what. Its between norway and germany who finishes 8th and plays the world playoff against the B winner. if both win both finish 4-5 but germany the round robin match. im not sure if they would actually play a tiebreaker or not or use the H2H to determine 8th

we doi know that russia, denmark, scotland, switzerland, and sweden have qualified for the worlds

and yes switzerland do need estonia to win to get into a tiebreaker

its so much more complicated with the men

as of now czech republic and netherlands are relegated. czech republic play italy. now if czech republic win that and netherlands beat switzerland i have no idea how that would play out as all would be 3-6. it gets simple if italy win. czech republic and netherlands get relegated. as for who would play the world playoff i have no idea because there are a million scenarios there.

what we know for sure is that sweden and norway will be at the world championship

11-25-15 04:10PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by TNH
Will placements here have an impact on men's and women's world championships qualifiers ?

I was looking at who may get relegated to the B flight, and who may receive battlefield promotions to A but thought that doesn't matter with the Olympics a couple years away. Then I thought of the world's and wondered if the Scotland/England men are in danger of not qualifying for World's this year?

I can't figure all of that out, but someone here must know.

its hard to figure out. there are many games taking place tomorrow that determine what happens, it all comes down to the last day. the only teams for sure that will be qualified for worlds are sweden and norway

scotland is safe from relegation, they will stay in A. thats for sure. now , whether or not they get through to worlds are have to play the playoff and finish 8th remains to be seen

tomorrow:
scotland plays germany
russia plays norway
switzerland plays netherlands
finland plays sweden
italy plays czech republic

all 5 games have meaning

scotland will qualify for worlds and could finish as high as 3rd tomorrow if they win , and everything else goes their way. they could still qualify for worlds and the playoffs if they lose though, as we could see 5 teams end up 4-5.

sorry if i cant help much but the mens side is way to complicated right now to say for sure if scotland are in worlds or not.im not sure what tiebreaker scenario they use to determine who finishes where. last year germany and scotland finished tied 3-6 and had to play a tibreaker to see who finished 8th and would play the world group playoff. im not sure if thats what they are doing again this year

Last edited by misty1 on 11-25-15 at 04:14PM

11-25-15 04:14PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

That helps - I'm starting to picture it. Thanks guys!

11-25-15 04:31PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Womens world spots sealed

Norway loses to scotland and germany defeats hungary

that means that teams qualified for worlds are:

scotland
sweden
denmark
switzerland
germany
russia
finland

norway will finish 8th and play B group winner for the spot at worlds

also with finland defeating estonia the final 4 are indeed set. switzerland out.

russia v.s finland in the 1 v.s 4 game

scotland v.s denmark in the 2 v.s 3 game

denmark seriously spiraling now. lost 3 in a row

Last edited by misty1 on 11-25-15 at 04:33PM

11-25-15 05:10PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

sweden defeat switzerland in an extra and finish 5th and 5-4. switzerland have a severely disapointing european championship and finish 6th at 4-5. If they were low on confidence coming in this performance surely will not help at all.

they qualify switzerland for worlds but do not even come close to making the playoffs. its hard to say what is going on with this team right now or what can be done to fix it. but its been a really poor season for them overall. its hard to see them getting back to the worlds as it is right now.

as for sweden they finish a respectable 5-4. they will rue that loss against russia though as they could have and should have been in a tiebreaker.

11-25-15 05:21PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

after day 6 i'm at 52- 34

Men draw 9:

sweden def. finland - finland will go all out to try and win so this will be a good game, they probably should have beaten them at worlds if not for a costly late mistake. sweden will edge it out though

italy def. czech republic - italy are still alive, czechs are fighting to stay in a. should be a good one but i'll go with italy

switzerland def. netherlands - as with every game a lot rides on this game for both and it wont be easy but going with switzerland

scotland def. germany - scotland really on a rollw now. will win this

norway def. russia - russia desperate to avoid going 5-4 but norway is to much right now.

so with this germany will finish 8th and be stuck playing the world group playoff

Womens semifinals:

russia def. denmark - denmark is in a tailspin and i dont know if they can get out of it. inconsistencies plague this team again

scotland def. finland - scotland is looking really good right now, peaking at the right time as they always seem to do. just dont think finland can keep up with them in this form

Last edited by misty1 on 11-25-15 at 06:56PM

11-25-15 06:51PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I hesitate to label Ladyhawke Paetz a one-hit wonder (2014 Worlds) but her performances this year have been less than stellar. She might be just a Jones-Killer, a team that gets exceptionally juiced up to play the legendary Jones team and makes shots like there's no tomorrow.

Sorta like Val Sweeting has been a bit of a Homan-killer (except this year) or Jeff Stoughton was a notorious McEwen-hunter for many years.

Wonder if the Swiss have made up their minds about who to send to this year's worlds (or is there a playdown misty?)

Tirinzoni has been steady on the Canadian circuit. Bini Feltscher won another big spiel last week. Jaeggi has been competing on the Canadian circuit and possibly Miri Ott is contemplating a comeback??? Who knows?

Sidorova is auto for Russia.
Same with Neilsen in Denmark, Muirhead in Scotland. Switzerland and Sweden have some tough decisions to make.
They can send a fawn like CC Ostlund to slaughter at the worlds - or send the rapidly deteriorating Prytz/Sigfridson combo. Not much choice there. At least the Swiss have 4 or 5 good quality teams.

switzerland does have a national championship.

im not writing off paetz yet, not after 1 rough season. but it is shocking how badly they are struggling this year. some teams just struggle to deal with all the attention on them. they wouldnt be used to it. it might just be taking them a year to get used to all the extra expectation

11-25-15 07:10PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Team Paetz

I think this Team actually won the worlds out of sync with the natural progression of their careers..
They are just going thru all the natural lessons and huge changes in their lives etc..

Nobody really knows how good they are.. like so many of the other young elite..De Cruz, Smith,

11-25-15 08:50PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Team Ostland- Sweden

I was really quite surprised at how terrible Cissi finished off a sure win by poor shots...

What's the cure
because Per Lindholm has likely already made that Team their Female rep

-------------------
Legend- concerning last years worlds..I was just happy and very surprised that a literal "no name" Paetz won the title...beating the Olympic Champs three times..

change is very good for all sports..even curling..

Last edited by HotRocks on 11-25-15 at 08:52PM