Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
06-12-14 08:10AM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

I don't think it was Richard. I don't think he would want to jeopardize his spot on the most successful US senior team over the course of the last two years. :-)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-18-14 10:44AM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Looks like the combine invites are out. It would be nice if the USCA publishes a list of all confirmed participants.

According to the tele-con on Monday it sounds like only 50 total people would be invited to the combine. If the WUGS teams are included in this selection that would mean 50 people were chosen to fill 40 spots (10 Men, 10 Women, 5 Jr Men, 5 Jr Women, 5 WUG Men, 5 WUG Women).

Makes the camp seem like a waste of time and money for most. How much is really left to be decided?

06-18-14 02:07PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

First, the above was not me (for the lurkers)

I thought I read somewhere or maybe it during the first webinar that the WUG teams would be a combination of the junior and adult HP players. That would mean a total of 30 chosen from the 50.

We will eventually know who made it based on the teams that are entered in various events.

JH

06-18-14 02:58PM
Stolt42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stolt42 Find more posts by Stolt42 Add Stolt42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stolt42
Knee-Slider

If the program plans to use the same athletes for WUGS it will be a tight turn around time for the players since WUGS is Feb 4-14th and Nationals start on the 14th.

06-18-14 05:09PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

i wonder what their thinking is for choosing junior curlers. in the webinar Derek Brown said that athletes would be chosen primarily based on proven, recent success plus various, secondary criteria such as coachability, attitude, team fit, etc.

However, for juniors Team USA probably also prefers to invest in curlers who will stay with the program long term and become elite adult curlers. Not sure whether long-term commitment enters into their choices, however. Seems tricky.

06-21-14 10:27AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Risky? Yes, RBI. Still, if Juniors were to remain with sending the winner of Nationals to Worlds, it should be fine. The risk is in concentrating our limited funding into a very few players. I'd prefer a broader approach, particularly with Juniors.

As a side note: I advise all Juniors offered the role as Fifth for the HPP Junior team to politely decline the offer. You are too young to spend a year just watching.

Selecting only curlers with World experience for Men's and Women's will eventually become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It feels like the Applications process merely gave the impressions of Open Tryouts. There doesn't seem to be much Open about it because limited funding and time limits the number of curlers they can handle. Too bad. Splitting the genders would have doubled the work time for coaching staff, but also could have doubled the number of curlers invited.

Ben Tucker
Struggling to pull away from curling totally

06-21-14 02:19PM
runinrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for runinrock Click here to Send runinrock a Private Message Find more posts by runinrock Add runinrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runinrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

The application process was simply a smoke screen for the appearance of an open tryout....I would assume the teams are already chosen for at least the men's and women's, I would presume only the 5th spots are up for grabs on those teams. Another example of the USCA half assing this process. You want I select a team to receive funding or select a world/Olympic rep, fine just don't insult our intelligence with this BS "combine" and a terrible BS webinar that gave no additional information than what was already common knowledge. Derek's presentation was nothing short of self preservation.

Just my opinions

06-25-14 04:18PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

The list is out. 47 people invited to the camp. 14 Women trying out for 10 spots on the Womens A and B teams. 13 Men trying out for the Mens A and B teams.

Average age of the 14 Women is 26. Average age of the 13 Men is 28.5. (according to USCA bio info)

On the Jr. side 10 invites for both the Jr. Women and Jr. Men.

06-25-14 05:01PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Exactly what objective tests will those lucky folks be doing? Anything close to what the bobsledders must do?

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Bobsled-...e-Test-Protocol

And then what about the subjective parts like interview and such?

Will the coaches and team managers themselves be subject to any similar tests during the combine or at anytime before the South Korean Olympics? Or have they a contract/tenure deal through 2018?

Back to World Cup soccer....

06-25-14 05:39PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Missing a few names that I might have expected to be there [had I given it any thought]. Would be interesting to see who applied but did not make the cut.

06-25-14 07:53PM
chubb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chubb Find more posts by chubb Add chubb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chubb
Harvey Hacksmasher

Remember some of last years participants used up holidays all the way to next year.Let alone take a few days for the combine and then another 6 days for the Colorado Springs portion.

Gonna be interesting to see this shake down.

06-25-14 08:54PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

I don’t think it’s very hard to figure out who the overall pics will be. Maybe a little more interesting who will be on the A team and who on the B, but the junior women will be fascinating. With Cory skipping, will they take both Anderson sisters based on talent or choose to leave one or both off for a sweeping front end player and Lank at third. Can you break up the sisters? Can you pass on a front end player like Gabower? Maybe the four skip Scottish model, Christensen, Anderson, Lank, and Haag. Wow, can’t wait for this decision.

06-25-14 09:06PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Since I can't really comment, I will just say the names that are missing are the most interesting to me.

JH
no opinions were harmed in this post

06-25-14 10:49PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

And then there's the very few who simultaneously are and aren't "missing", but exist in a sort of limbo.....it's rather odd.

06-26-14 09:25AM
MiniMark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MiniMark Click here to Send MiniMark a Private Message Find more posts by MiniMark Add MiniMark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiniMark
Hitting Paint

It's about the Juniors

While I'd like to say with certainty that we will get a top-notch Men's team that will be right in the mix at the World level out of this pool of guys...meh. Nothing new to see here. I would've liked to have seen some fresh names. These are all top American players, but...meh. I would love to be proven very, very wrong! GO USA!

For me, the Juniors should be the focus. These are the players that *should* be the future of HP. Make sure whomever you pick is in it to win it, will take instruction and criticism, learn from mistakes, and be willing to put in the work.

With only 155 applications sent in (I was going to apply but who needs a 46 year old lousy sweeper who throws with the wrong hand?) that's a cool 1% of the curlers in the country who could (or would) commit to the HP cycle. I don't know if that is good or bad. Thoughts?

06-26-14 10:13AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Since I can't really comment, I will just say the names that are missing are the most interesting to me.

JH
no opinions were harmed in this post

Always like it when someone who apparently has some knowledge and wants to comment decides to tell others that he cannot comment. So why say anything, i.e. really do not comment?

06-27-14 03:50PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

Always like it when someone who apparently has some knowledge and wants to comment decides to tell others that he cannot comment. So why say anything, i.e. really do not comment?

I actually have no knowledge as a old-never-was. Perhaps I should have said, if I post about the process I will get scolded so my comment is limited to those curlers missing from the list. I find it surprising that the World team of Pottinger is not on the list. I have no idea why but find it interesting.

I hope this new process works out well for US curling.

JH

06-28-14 03:15PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

interesting article in the Full Granite Jacket blog on the CZ home page

06-30-14 06:01PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Full Granite Jacket blog is at http://fullgranitejacket.tumblr.com/

07-15-14 09:55PM
Mike54321 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike54321 Click here to Send Mike54321 a Private Message Find more posts by Mike54321 Add Mike54321 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike54321
Harvey Hacksmasher

Doesn't the HP team make the chances of competing in Olympic curling easier than the playdowns? With the playdowns if I a great player but my region is thin then I out of luck. I can be a 5th player for the Olympic team but it is only one slot. With the HP team they are automatically in the Olympic Trials putting them in contention for the Olympics. A player who is nationally ranked and in shape can apply as an individual for 10 spots and I can control my curling background but I have no control over what my regional playdowns team does no matter how well I play the game. So why is everyone complaining about it?

Granted the teams should be non-centralized the HP team should still fight to win the Olympic Trials as we need varying opinion on what makes a great curler or team. The team that wins the Olympic Trials has the prevailing philosophy.

Last edited by Mike54321 on 07-15-14 at 10:03PM

07-16-14 04:23PM
runinrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for runinrock Click here to Send runinrock a Private Message Find more posts by runinrock Add runinrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runinrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

There are no regional affiliations for the US men's and women's nationals and no regional affiliation for the Olympic trials either....

07-16-14 05:26PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Sorry, Mike, but I fear the exact opposite is true.

Coaches will bet on the sure thing with a player that has made it to Worlds, even if their Worlds was not spectacular. A great player in an area with limited team choices is less likely to get World experience.

I'd like to think that a stellar player from a team with some success could shine brightly enough to catch the eye of a brave coach, but I have my doubts. Would the Anderson Tiny Terrorists have made the cut without their Wisconsin teammates helping them to the Finals? My fear is that they would not.

Ben Tucker

07-16-14 06:35PM
Mike54321 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike54321 Click here to Send Mike54321 a Private Message Find more posts by Mike54321 Add Mike54321 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike54321
Harvey Hacksmasher

There might be a Olympic curler with their best days behind them and there might be a curler who competed in the USCA Nationals who's best years are ahead of them. Not all curlers picked for the HP program have competed in the Olympics and some from USCA Nationals. You can get a lot if regional experience and then approach a WCT coach and ask to be a fifth player and then work to be a starter. Then apply for the HP program. There go from there.

07-17-14 10:40PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Tuck, when you say

"Coaches will bet on the sure thing with a player that has made it to Worlds, even if their Worlds was not spectacular. A great player in an area with limited team choices is less likely to get World experience.
I'd like to think that a stellar player from a team with some success could shine brightly enough to catch the eye of a brave coach, but I have my doubts."

What I read is that you are calling the system rigged, or the coaches incompetent? Can't we just trust the the coaches will evaluate the talent correctly? Sure, going in to the camp, not everyone is equal, as your resume is what it is, but I would like to know what leads you to have this distrust that they wont evaluate and make an informed decision.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting what you are trying to say, so please help me understand if that is the case.

07-18-14 04:32AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

Without knowing what their options were, is it not encouraging that many of the people at the combine don't have that world experience, at least not beyond the junior level?

I hope you don't mind a Canadian, albeit a Canadian that would very much like to see the USA once again become a curling power, throwing in his two cents. I am fascinated by this process and my inclination is to say that I think it is the right idea. Right now, the only way to be at the top of the curling world if you're not Canada is to have what amounts to curling professionals (and Canada's top teams are more or less professionals anyway). To my mind, it makes sense to find the talented players that are willing and able to put in the time commitment necessary, put them together and support them as much as possible.

Now, my preference would be to have a national championship that still decides the world rep (although it looks like Nina Spatola's win wasn't completely meaningless as some feared), but I think this is a step in the right direction.

Some things I wonder about: are Courtney George and Jessica Schultz now out of the running for spots on these teams because those would seem like tough losses? How difficult would it be to put a west coast player with players from Minnesota? It's kind of interesting to think about the possibilities. I'm thinking the Spatola team will probably remain intact perhaps with Tabitha Peterson. Perhaps Deb McCormick would then captain the other team, but who would that include? Sormunen and Walker maybe? Schultz would make some sense if she's still in the running. On the men's side you would have to do some mixing and matching. Perhaps Shuster's team could add Sean Beighton if those pesky west coast issues can be sorted out. Or maybe Shuster could reunite with Craig Brown. Maybe you combine McCormick and Plys with Fenson's old front end. I don't know. You guys probably have a better idea of what makes sense, but I'll be very interested to see how this all shakes out.