Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 5 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-19-14 01:52PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Curling Combine!

Here is the announcement

The United States Curling Association’s (USCA) High Performance Plan for the 2015-18 quadrennial was presented to the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) on April 30, and is currently under review by the USOC, along with a resource allocation request for 2014-15. As previously communicated by the USCA, one aspect of the plan calls for the selection of individual athletes for the 2014-15 USCA High Performance Program (HPP). HPP Director Derek Brown and an advisory group including Olympic Athletes and HPP coaches met in Colorado Springs last week following a USOC High Performance Program best practices seminar to further develop the details of the USCA’s program and HPP athlete selection process.

Applications for inclusion to the 2014-15 USCA HPP will be available by May 31. Details of the High Performance Program benefits, expectations and requirements will be provided as part of the application materials.

The first ever USCA HPP Combine will be held July 19-23 at the Four Seasons Curling Club in Blaine, Minn. The USCA HPP National Coaching Team will review all applicants and select participants. Athletes invited to the combine should expect to spend one to one-and-a-half days being assessed in technical, tactical, physical and mental skills both on and off the ice. The exact days of assessment for each athlete will be communicated once the application review process is completed.

Following the combine, the USCA HPP staff will select a maximum of 30 athletes in total (men, women and juniors) to the program for the 2014-15 season. Invitations will be extended as soon as possible after the combine, and no later than July 31. All athletes who become part of the program will be required to participate in a National Team Training Camp Aug. 23-29 at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 68.198.100.166

05-19-14 03:56PM
hit-n-roll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit-n-roll Click here to Send hit-n-roll a Private Message Visit hit-n-roll's homepage! Find more posts by hit-n-roll Add hit-n-roll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit-n-roll
Harvey Hacksmasher

Will there be a Wonderlic test?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-19-14 05:37PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I'm dying to see what Heater's time will be for the 40. I'm guessing 5.4.

Joe Cool vs Hammy in the Cone Drill should be interesting.

Ben Tucker

05-19-14 06:07PM
CaliCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaliCurler Click here to Send CaliCurler a Private Message Find more posts by CaliCurler Add CaliCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaliCurler
Knee-Slider

Please please please can this be webstreamed by TESN.

05-19-14 06:47PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

I expect that those who disagree with this will ridicule and make fun of those who sign up for it.

05-20-14 12:19AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

SPM, there will be no ridicule coming from me for any and all that apply to be on the Elite Eights.

Talented young curlers who's lives afford them the time and flexibility to meet the commitment demands of the HPP would be foolish not to volunteer. It is extremely expensive to work up the ladder. Funding is a huge advantage. To ignore it, whether one believes in this path or not, would be flat stupid.

My only words of warning would be for those (particularly Juniors) that are already on established teams. Signing up could fracture your existing team. I have no problem with the HPP staff trying to influence Juniors into forming great teams...but this could leave a dozen wounded teams in their wake. This could be bad for Juniors if not handled well.

Ben Tucker

05-20-14 08:17AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I wonder what would happen if they threw a combine and nobody came...

Pipe dream, I know...but there would be no more obvious statement that folks disagree with the path than if zero of our elite curlers followed this program.

Ahh well. Soon it will be time to root for laundry, rather than curlers.

05-20-14 10:39AM
hit-n-roll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit-n-roll Click here to Send hit-n-roll a Private Message Visit hit-n-roll's homepage! Find more posts by hit-n-roll Add hit-n-roll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit-n-roll
Harvey Hacksmasher

Early predictions on who will make the cut?

05-20-14 11:55AM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
So you can apply but you might not get picked.

Yes, it indeed appears that for some unknown reason, the USCA HPP is using the same selection process as colleges, employers, curling club boards of directors, and many other organizations that adults who are wearing their big-boy pants should have bloody well gotten used to by now.

While I agree with jhcurl's point that avoiding an appearance of favoritism would be nice (other things that would be nice: peace in the Middle East, a sane Congress, me winning the lottery) the organizations I listed above have the same issues with "transparency" and "objectivity" of selection processes as does Big Time Sports -- which, let's face it, the HPP is. Anyone who's a realistic big-boy pants wearing adult has learned to apply for what they want, put in the time to prepare well, give it their best shot and accept the uncertainty -- and yes, even possible bias -- of the final decision (SPM). Others do not put in the time, do not apply, and instead just bitch about "the process" ad infinitum on CZ (Insert Your Name Here).

nom de broom

05-21-14 12:16AM
bjacks217 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bjacks217 Click here to Send bjacks217 a Private Message Find more posts by bjacks217 Add bjacks217 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bjacks217
Harvey Hacksmasher

Will they have the combine every year now, or are they picking for the next four years?

05-21-14 10:53AM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

What happens to those that attend but aren't selected? Let's say that 40 curlers are selected and go to this camp. Are they leaving their current teams as soon as they get selected to go the camp (all in) or do they hope their current teammates don't mind and will take them back when its over (honey I love you, but I'm going to try dating this blonde for a while but if it doesn't work out with her I'll be back on Monday)?

Will there be an attempt by anyone to help these individuals form teams among themselves in a not quite super group? It would be unfortunate if the nearly top individuals find themselves without a team this year because they tried to make the Elite eight.

I like and support the idea of trying to build a super team (as long as they still have to win ON the ice) but I'm worried about the unintended consequences.

05-21-14 03:04PM
Mike54321 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike54321 Click here to Send Mike54321 a Private Message Find more posts by Mike54321 Add Mike54321 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike54321
Harvey Hacksmasher

People outside the sport of curling have been saying that curlers are not athletes and this combine dispels that myth. However, I don't think their should be a handpicked team because there needs to be varying opinion. The high performance team might focus solely on sweeping but another team might focus soley on throwing. Another team might focus on experience so they form a team with players who have been playing 40-50 years. The team that wins the Olympics Trials has the prevailing philosophy. So centralization is not a good thing because it is one way or no way but this combine proves to people outside of curling that curling is truly a sport.

05-21-14 06:48PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I'm not sure that people outside of curling will ever know that there was a combine. It does show a move to a more professional attitude and procedure. Whether or not that is a good thing remains open to debate.

Will there be a combine every year? I imagine so, as long as the current HPP Director and USCA CEO remain in their positions. Including Juniors in the program practically guarantees it as they have a tendency to age out.

Giggling about a Wonderlick Test, cone drills and Heater's time in the 40 was fun, but what will the combine really include?

I imagine that you'll see far less testing and trials than you might expect. I imagine that it will more of an interview process. Will you be able to spiel extensively? Will you be available for team practices? Will you move closer to Blaine if selected? Will you be open to coaching?

I do think that the process could blow up some Junior teams. I do not, however, see that happening in Men's and Women's. If BooBoo Birr wants to apply and the rest of his team does not, they won't hold Todd back. If he doesn't make the Elite Eight, they will welcome him back. He's Todd Birr, forgawdssake.

Ben Tucker

05-22-14 09:14AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I can hardly wait for the first time someone who applied but wasn't picked for the combine wins our nationals, and is therefore excluded from being our World's representative (because it will be impossible to compete in the "Race To Come in 5th in a lot of Canadian bonspiels" against the chosen 2 professional teams), and they won't receive any funding for subsequent years.

Oh, the fecal matter that will impact the rotary wind generating device...

Or, for that matter, when our Chosen Few end up coming in 8th again.

This remains the wrong path....going all in preflop with a 2-7 offsuit doesn't work in poker, and that's what the USCA is doing (being forced by the USOC to do is probably more apt)

05-22-14 01:10PM
runinrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for runinrock Click here to Send runinrock a Private Message Find more posts by runinrock Add runinrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runinrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

It just seems like a waste of time and effort. Scouting combines make very little sense in any sport. Even the NFL combine (which is obviously the most famous) is almost useless, other than for teams to interview players 1 on 1, and for the doctors to get a look at them. If our HP directors don't know who the top players are already then they haven't been watching nationals or the circuit very closely. I don't think you will see an "unknown" player suprise anyone with a perfect outurn peel, or a super amazing draw to the button in a simulated end...The top players don't even perform or even attend the combine in most other sports..Getting top players together certainly isn't a negative, I'm just confused on what they are trying to accomplish. If you want to scout players, game tape is the best way. We have stats, and results from the last few years of nationals, bonspiels etc. Wouldn't performances under pressure in REAL games be more telling than your ability to throw a peel in practice? Many of the "decision makers" have played with and against these same athletes, wouldn't their anecdotal knowledge be more useful than measuring some arbitraty practice stats, or BMI numbers? Do you think Martin, or Howard has a scouting combine to look for a new front end?

The one thing that I do see useful is for Juniors, and some players with less experience have a chance to interact with coaches, and top players to get more experience and have a chance to learn from top players in our country. obviously it is important to get an idea of players' commitment levels and scheduling, but couldn't this be done over the phone? Asking players around the country to spend money to fly to MSP and throw some practice rocks with their friends is just silly...
Our teams stuggle at worlds, not becuase they are the "wrong" players or because we "shoulda sent someone else", they lose at worlds because the other teams are better than we are, period.
The only way to improve is to consistenly practice and play against the top competition on "world-level" ice conditions. This obviously costs money and time, and if we need to select a team or two to receive this money then so be it, but selecting a team based on a weekend of practice is silly, and in the words of Allen Iverson "we talking bout practice man...."

rant over

05-29-14 11:16AM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

The HPP application is now available. http://usacurl.us2.list-manage.com/...58&e=9e183248a5

Deadline is June 9th to apply (for now). First page of the application says that more details of the program are in Appendix 1 of the application. The only way to get to Appendix 1 is to start filling out the application. Fortunately you can just type whatever you want in the required fields to advance to the next pages until you get to the details.

05-29-14 11:39AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

There is now a PDF version of the application with appendix on the website.

Last edited by jhcurl on 05-29-14 at 02:03PM

05-29-14 10:36PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

The "details" are rather vague, and more or less what you'd expect. Access to coaching, training centers, programmatic support with fitness, nutrition, etc. Also a reference to "Athlete Stipends (as possible)".

I would expect that exact details are reserved at the very least for those chosen for the Combine, and quite possibly only for those who are accepted into the program.

06-02-14 04:55PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

looking forward to seeing them do all of the NFL/college combine drills in curling shoes with sliders.

Courtney George will be tough to beat in the 3-cone drill.

06-03-14 08:49AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Anyone think Shuster could break 7 seconds in the 40?

(of course, he'd beat me by about a minute...)

06-09-14 02:53PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

According to Terry Kolesar on Facebook and Twitter, there are 126 applications submitted so far.

From USA Curling Facebook page
"Today is the deadline to apply to be a part of the 2014-15 High Performance Program. More than 126 applications have been received thus far."

JH
just stating public facts

06-10-14 02:47PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Final numbers as posted by Terry

High Performance Program applications received: 22 jr men, 23 jr women, 63 men, 47 women, age range 12 to 55.

Would love to know who is the 55 year old.

JH
younger than me

06-10-14 04:02PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Final numbers as posted by Terry

Would love to know who is the 55 year old.

JH
younger than me

hahaha... Tuck is always fooling around

06-11-14 08:32PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Nope. Not me. I'm only 52 (53 at the end of this month). I might show up and watch some, but I did not apply.

Ben Tucker

06-11-14 09:26PM
Willy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Willy Click here to Send Willy a Private Message Find more posts by Willy Add Willy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Willy
Drawmaster

How Old?

Is Richard? God Bless his Soul....