Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
06-09-14 07:59PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Question

Didn't we go through the same Monty Pythonesque reasons last year when we discovered stick curlers are not welcome at the Arena Nationals?

Humming a tune with the lyrics "....owe my soul to the company store...." and reading Doug Maxwell's Tales of a Curling Hack" for some laughs and perspective. This gem from page 220:

"The first thing you should know about the Olympics is this: nothing is ever as it seems. The second thing you should know about the Olympics is this: it's 75 percent political, 25 percent athletic. And the third thing you should know about the Olympics is this: go back to number one."

Those who fought to create the Arenas and run them wanted to help new grassroots competitors ... who must increase their numbers in the "long game" of the spirit of curling or else the company store will be run only for the benefit of the company and its "selected" champions who must all adhere to whatever adhesion contract USOC demands must be signed.

Looking forward to some grassroots coverage of the Arenas for both on and off ice action.

Last edited by Alice on 06-09-14 at 08:07PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-10-14 09:09AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

As I have been thinking about it, I think that there has to be a different reason about why the are not web streaming. I feel like last year, before the first event, Fort Wayne became a TESN affiliate, and they streamed at least one sheet.

06-10-14 10:13AM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

Webstreaming is evolving

To the point about last year and TESN... webstreaming standards continue to evolve... What was good enough last year may not always be good enough this year.

VACurler is right about the basics. The USOC owns the rights because they paid for them. Doesn't mean this event will never get streamed. TESN helped get many events streamed last year with some of the same hurdles. But there are costs involved to putting on a stream that not everyone thinks about ahead of time. I'm talking about more than money, but time as well.

And unfortunately these costs sometimes discourage folks from getting a stream done. These costs need to be better communicated... and coming from someone who is asked this a lot... many times the question about doing a stream isn't asked until pretty late in the game, so the costs wind up being a surprise.

The USCA has every right to care to get a quality stream out there. It's their job to both put on a good product and put it in it's best light.

Just because we can strap an ipad to a tripod doesn't mean we should. Something isn't always better than nothing.

It's right that the USCA should have standards for championship events. These standards will need to be communicated with organizers so everyone's expectations can be met. I know the stardards are being worked on. It's just a matter of time.

06-11-14 01:26AM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

".... just a matter of time..."

Time... for the ink of May 2014 to dry on the IOC/Comcast US$7.75 billion deal locking up all Olympic broadcast rights through 2032.... and thus, too, even our newest "nationals" broadcast rights thanks to the hidden target of what "we" can do at "our" Arena Nationals since we willingly put it in Olympia-landia.

http://articles.philly.com/2014-05-...winter-olympics

I'm waiting to hear what the fees will be for coaches to be allowed to record videos of their teams at all these new profit centers for Comcast. Then, license fees to bring in IPads by the audience? Permission procedures and fees to post a video clip or digital photos on a club website? All Twitter feeds of USCA and its clubs moderated by a Comcast employee? Think that won't happen if we constantly "go along"?

Had lunch today with someone who had one grandfather beaten to a bloody pulp before finally getting out of Hamburg before WWII and the other grandfather from Cologne purchased out of Auschwitz before that exit route was closed. Her mother got out on a kindertransport to Britain at age 13. It took her families years to realize they had to get out to survive. Her horrifying story got me thinking...

Not-nice behavior usually starts with small steps like saying a stick curler, that amateur with an IPad and tripod, or this owner of "just one video camera" is not allowed. Bias and discrimination is insidious and the antithesis of what a field of fair play like curling is supposed to be.

Last edited by Alice on 06-11-14 at 02:09AM

06-11-14 08:34AM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

Holy crap!

Alice, you seriously are comparing webcasting of Arena Nats to the Holocaust!

Maybe we should tone down the rhetoric.

06-11-14 12:26PM
runinrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for runinrock Click here to Send runinrock a Private Message Find more posts by runinrock Add runinrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runinrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

yes, something tells me we will not see millions of people die for the right to use the stick at arena nationals...

alice you never cease to amaze..while i agree the inability to webcast, and the hurdles to do so are silly, i don't think we need to go there, especially not days after the 70th anniversary of D-day...have some respect Alice.

06-11-14 02:07PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Yeah, that went a bit far...

The USCA isn't actively trying to drive people away (I guess that'd be the closest parallel possible...), they just aren't making it easy to do things that will increase the grass roots interest.

06-11-14 04:14PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Slightly off topic but all the operational committees (arena championship, grass roots championships, etc) are now open to anyone. They are separated from the Board with the new bylaws. Contact the USCA office to get more information and who to contact if you want to volunteer on a committee. 99% of the meetings are done by tele-conference.

If you feel strongly and want to make a change, then make sure your voice is heard in the right place.

JH

06-11-14 04:44PM
Alice
Swing Artist

Cool

No, I didn't compare those managing the Area Nationals to those who ran Nazi death camps but to anyone who discriminates and is biased in a way which is "not nice" in "insidious" ways that can easily creep up on many very good people as the Nazis did in the early 1930's. Ways that seem OK, let's hope for the best. the give it time sort of rationales or worse, the covert we-like to keep "those" people out behaviors.

Liked the "driving people away" analogy.... that is what is happening by not allowing TESN or anyone but Comcast-approved reporters to do webstreaming at Areas.

06-11-14 05:08PM
Alice
Swing Artist

about D-Day

FWIW, I have uncles who fought through Europe in the US Army infantry in combat in WWII and also in the North Atlantic in the US Navy. And, my friend whom I lunched with, I have no idea if her family was persecuted thanks to religion or just disagreeing with the new Reich.

I also have an aunt still alive who was vacationing in Cuba when she saw on a pier the St Louis ship full of Reich refuguees which was shunted from country to country and her memories of their voices. Yep, in my family we respect D-Day, V-E and V-J Days plus November 11 every year.

06-12-14 09:49AM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Slightly off topic but all the operational committees (arena championship, grass roots championships, etc) are now open to anyone. They are separated from the Board with the new bylaws. Contact the USCA office to get more information and who to contact if you want to volunteer on a committee. 99% of the meetings are done by tele-conference.

If you feel strongly and want to make a change, then make sure your voice is heard in the right place.

JH

Thanks, Jeff. Since you always seem to have the inside track, please keep us informed as to whether Alice or Mr. MacNeill volunteer for said committees. Unlike you I avoid the horsies, but in this case I'm willing to bet the answer will be a resounding NO.

nom de broom

06-12-14 10:47AM
USAnewbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for USAnewbie Click here to Send USAnewbie a Private Message Find more posts by USAnewbie Add USAnewbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
USAnewbie
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl

JH

Do you know when these committees will begin operating? I ask because I expressed interested in joining such committees during a phone call with the USCA a month or so ago and haven't received any follow-up or notification since then.....

Anyways, getting the forum discussion back on topic - tournament/championship/bonspiel, whatever you want to call it, starts today!

First draw only had 1 game that was close! Time to start separating the pretenders vs the contenders.

Last edited by USAnewbie on 06-12-14 at 10:50AM

06-12-14 05:49PM
Alice
Swing Artist

Well, Non de Broom, be prepared to lose your bet. I have served on my club bonspiel committee since it started, spend a lot of time as a instructor and official for curling... and when any nationals are west of the Rockies in recent years I have been working at them from dawn to late night at my own expense.

Now, back to Facebook which has some of the best coverage of the Nationals in Lansing and finishing some decorations for a curling activity for a local upcoming Canada Day celebration.

06-12-14 07:27PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

I think that Nom was talking about working at the National level. That was the committees I was talking about, the operational committees of the USCA. Most on this board work at the local level.

JH
in order of when I started
Bonspiel chair (multiple), ice grunt, board member, building committee co-chair, board member (different club), head ice tech, league chair, building maintenance chair, ice tech emeritus. Bar tender when asked.

PPS - Oh, USCA director and club rep, secretary and treasurer.

PPPS - yes, still can't say no when asked to volunteer

06-12-14 07:48PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

When the USCA stops treating me like a second class Citizen, I will volunteer.

I made that abundantly clear in the e-mail I sent the USCA when I was asked to volunteer for Philadelphia's recent Sanctioned Bonspiel that made no difference in who went to World Championships at all.

06-16-14 09:42AM
USAnewbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for USAnewbie Click here to Send USAnewbie a Private Message Find more posts by USAnewbie Add USAnewbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
USAnewbie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Whoa!

quote:
Originally posted by MiniMark

A lot of lessons were learned last year in Fort Wayne, and a lot more will be, and actually already have been, learned after this year in Lansing.

No webcast- a discussion for a later time.

Congrats to the winning clubs!

Now that the event is over, I'd like to hear more about the lessons learned both last year and this year mentioned above... Also on the webcasting issue.

Happy Monday!

06-16-14 05:00PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Not bad, Pittsburgh men get the bronze. I see a new rule next year, no Canadians or former National curlers or cheaters or anyone that knows Tuck. Just kidding. I hope this event continues. The originator has moved to England and Gabrielle is leaving the committee. Anyone who wants to work on the committee or chair it, please contact the USCA.

JH

06-16-14 10:09PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

More importantly, Tuck picked the winner of the Men's.

Even more importantly: The winner once gave Tuck a free autographed copy of his book, while the OKCCC team has never given Tuck free appetizers. Every competitive curler should give Tuck free stuff so that the curling gods smile upon them.

Tuck

06-17-14 01:03PM
MiniMark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MiniMark Click here to Send MiniMark a Private Message Find more posts by MiniMark Add MiniMark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiniMark
Hitting Paint

The Curse

I impressed upon Guy how lucky he was to win after Tuck picked him, and I even gave you a shout out during the awards ceremony.

There were so many positives to this event that they make the negatives not even worth discussing. Kevin and Quentin were amazing. The teams were all fantastic. The officials went above and beyond. The event chair was a little goofy, but we all knew that going into it.

The whole webstreaming issue is one that I can put to bed right now- most everyone is half-right. We knew the arena's wi-fi wouldn't support anything-so, no budget was set for it. At the last minute we discovered a live network connection inside the arena. However, we did not have the software or hardware required to meet the USOC standards, and that would have required a significant monetary outlay from our very young club for a one-off event. Not happening-at least until we move to dedicated ice in the future. My recommendation will be that the USCA purchase all needed equipment and software to stream per the USOC standards. Even if they then rent it out,it will make it available for use at the championship events that TESN can't get to.

If anyone out there is considering hosting this event in the future, I'd be happy to correspond any time. I'd be glad to help out with this event in the future and will be contacting Kim once I get this year's event wrapped up. Thanks again to all of the volunteers, officials, arena staff, bar staff, and to Gerry as well for managing the crazy draw and live scoring.

Mark McElwee
one tired little camper

06-28-14 11:39PM
markwngo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markwngo Click here to Send markwngo a Private Message Find more posts by markwngo Add markwngo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markwngo
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
More importantly, Tuck picked the winner of the Men's.

Even more importantly: The winner once gave Tuck a free autographed copy of his book, while the OKCCC team has never given Tuck free appetizers. Every competitive curler should give Tuck free stuff so that the curling gods smile upon them.

Tuck

I've talked to Witzke and whenever you are down in OKC, we'll get you tons of free appetizers. Hopefully before next year's arena nationals.

Also thanks to the Lansing Curling Club and Mark for being gracious hosts. I definitely enjoyed my time there.