Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-29-14 12:32PM
MiniMark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MiniMark Click here to Send MiniMark a Private Message Find more posts by MiniMark Add MiniMark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiniMark
Hitting Paint

2014 USA Curling Arena Championships

June 12-15, 16 Men's and 16 Women's teams from around the country will gather just outside of Lansing, Michigan to take part in this 2nd Annual USCA Championship event. Demand for this event has grown yet again this year. Very psyched to be hosting it, looking forward to some great curling, great ice, and great friends. If you're looking for a chance to work on or keep current with your Official Certification requirements, this is a great opportunity for you. On-ice officials, timing supervisors, and game timers are all needed. C'mon out!

Mark

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-02-14 01:48PM
USAnewbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for USAnewbie Click here to Send USAnewbie a Private Message Find more posts by USAnewbie Add USAnewbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
USAnewbie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Getting this back on the radar since its June 12-15th, here is the list of teams. Any predictions?

Women's field, 16 teams:

Broadmoor (Colo.): Rachel Sethi, Dena Rosenberry, Amilia Knight, Rochelle Sandstrom-Knight

Charlotte (N.C.): Sylvia Jennings, Stacie Pinnavaia, Carol White, Lara McLaren

Cincinnati (Ohio): Deborah Coviello, Janet Clifford Brown, Renee O'Connor, Stephanie Simpson

Circle City (Ind.): Tamera Hoffman, Sandra Jennings, Lisa Wieland, Susan Fleck, Caryn Thompson

Curling Club of Virginia: Mary-Colleen Millage, Kirsten Collins, Katie McCartney, Christine Alessa

Dallas/Fort Worth (Texas): Shana Healer, Lisa Henry, Allison Peterson , Carrie Scarlata

Kalamazoo (Mich.): Stephanie Senneker, Pamela Nelson, Nicole Brinkmann Reeves, Valerie Hart-Young, Barbara Little

La Crosse (Wis.): Toni Paisley, Laura Mitchell, Sydney Schieffer, Erin Hofland

Lansing (Mich.): Lisa Hamm, Corinne McElwee, Callie Hamm, Claire Blaske

Oklahoma: Jessie Hopper, Kristy Witzke, Angela Strange, Darcy Maelzer

Palmetto (S.C.): Ann Wiggins, Nicole Plant, Sherri Odlevak, Lisa Cobb

Pittsburgh (Pa.): Jacki Temple, Daphne Roberts, Beth Lehman, Amanda Marchitelli, Paul Schultz

San Francisco (Calif.): Cindy Beck, Keri Dikos, Melissa Aaron, Gabrielle Coleman

San Francisco (Calif.): Sarah Walsh, Kimberly Chapin, Emily Schermerhorn, Emily Kimmel

San Francisco Bay Area (Calif.): Erin Rhode, Jessica Tudor, Katie Mordarski, Adriana Camarena

San Francisco Bay Area (Calif.): Davinna Kong, Christina Altus, Loreen Makishima-Wolf, Jennifer Lin

Men's field, 16 teams:

Broadmoor (Colo.): Guy Scholz, Kevin Lyons, Gordon Harrison, Nathan Mascarenas

Charlotte (N.C.): Jeremy Hozjan, Brady Gould, Doug McLaren, Patrick McKee

Cincinnati (Ohio): Darrell Brown, David Forcum, Daniel Coviello, Shawn O'Connor

Circle City (Ind.): Doug Pearson, Robert Jennings, Wes Hoffman, Daniel Louks

Curling Club of Virginia: Brent Cooke, Richard Collins, Joshua Leggette, Sam Sparks

Dakota (Minn.): Shawn Slane, Ryan Claussen, Anthony Mayerhofer, Nicholas Hydukovich

Dallas-Fort Worth (Texas): Laith Sando, Stephen Kleppe, John Lambert, William Sadoo, Steve Walton

Kalamazoo (Mich.): Garnet Eckstrand, Kent Elliott, Marcus Gleaton, Chris Gleaton, Thomas Deater

Lansing (Mich.): Mark McElwee, Wyl McCully, Gerrit Smith, Allan Blaske

Long Island (N.Y.): Andrew Ness, Michael Greene, John Paccione, Frank Buquicchio

Oklahoma: Mark Ngo, Jeremy Witzke, Dylan Smith, Chris Strange, Bruce Maelzer

Palmetto (S.C.): Daniel Fort, Ryan Smith, Matthew Jones, Kurt Wagner

Pittsburgh (Pa.): Mark Robinson, Brian Stuart, Steve Buffington, Daniel Bliss

San Francisco Bay Area (Calif.): David Wiesen, Alex Baxter, Daniel Myers, Westin Kurlancheek

Vikingland (Minn.): Troy Dittberner, Jason Rauk, Scott Threinen, Andy Siira, Daniel Rooney

Windy City (Ill.): Matt Galas, Gregory Stewart, Jeff Sampson, David Jamros

Last edited by USAnewbie on 06-02-14 at 02:29PM

06-02-14 04:46PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

Gotta pick the Kalamazoo squad to repeat on the men's side. The Dallas team that they beat in the finals last year is changed a bit for this year.

06-02-14 04:49PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

for the women... gonna go out on a limb and say that San Francisco has a 1-in-4 chance of winning. :-)

06-03-14 10:03AM
USAnewbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for USAnewbie Click here to Send USAnewbie a Private Message Find more posts by USAnewbie Add USAnewbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
USAnewbie
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by rbi
for the women... gonna go out on a limb and say that San Francisco has a 1-in-4 chance of winning. :-)

I know right...should just rename it the California championships.

Two issues I have with this:
1) Clubs Teams were placed 1st in line for guaranteed spots if both a men's and women's team entered. If the women's team had to drop out, the men's team should have lost their place (as there were 5 other men's teams that were on the wait list, clubs that have yet to be represented in the arena championships).

2) Also, the fact that they were begging for another women's team to make it an even 16 teams on each side instead of taking 14 women's teams and 18 men's team (2 off of the men's wait list)....I'm all about equal opportunity, but again there were men's teams on the wait list...just sayin'

06-03-14 11:38AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

USA Newbie, I understand your logic on both of your points, but tend to disagree, especially with point 2. Having an 18 person draw (remember it is double knockout not round robin) makes it a bit more asymetrical. The 16 team concept is much more balanced with all teams playing equal games and no byes.

Out of curiosity, are you a member of one of the clubs that did not get in to the event?

06-03-14 12:24PM
USAnewbie
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

Out of curiosity, are you a member of one of the clubs that did not get in to the event?

No, I am a member of one of the clubs that is sending representatives to the event.

06-03-14 03:36PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

Assuming this is a 5 sheet arena setup, why limit the teams at 16 of each gender?

Run it as a straight 3 event bonspiel with the 8 semi-finalists from the events going into a 6 team playoff with the first event qualifiers getting the bye (1st loss drops to the second event, second loss drops to the third event, 3rd loss and you're out).

If there's space (depending on the number of teams) have a 4th event for fun.

For a lot of these curlers, this will be the first time they've ever played on championship ice so turning away teams seems unnecessary.

Any chance of expanding the field next year?

Jason

06-03-14 04:16PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

VA Curler, I may not understand your suggestion on how to run this event, since I feel like it is being run how you suggest already, and fail to see how to make it better. This is the current format.

5 Sheets
16 Men's Teams
16 Women's Teams
Double Knockout in terms of winning the overall championship
3 game guarantee for all teams.

So 16 teams go into the A event. Once you lose a game in the A event you drop down to the B event. The top 2 from the A event and the top 2 from the B event play the overall semifinals.

Lose in the B event, and you drop down to the Consolation event. Losing there eliminates you from future games.

Looking at the ice time to make this format work, there are 5 draws per sheet per day for Thursday, Friday & Saturday, and then 2 draws on Sunday. (In full disclosure, on Saturday there are 3 open draws where the ice on a single sheet is not being used.) So for the most part, the ice is completely being used, so I don't know how you add more teams since that would need more ice time.

One thing that needs to be remembered for this event, is that you cannot have it in such a way that losing a single game will prevent you from winning the championship. Since there is no Order of Merit points, or anything similar it is practically impossible to seed this event. So there is too great of a chance of having the top 2 teams play in the first round of the draw.

And remember, this is not a bonspiel, this is a National Championship for Arena Curling. You may or may not have high feelings for the event, but it still needs to be constructed fairly.

06-03-14 04:24PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

It is a 5 sheet setup and being run almost like a TKO. Starts Thursday morning at 8am with finals on Sunday at 12:30. Expanding the field would require extra days or sheets. The initial idea for this year was to do 20 men's and 16 women's but that would have required an extra day or longer days as 4 extra draw times were needed. That was the original double KO with consolation.

Please, if anyone has a better draw than feel free to submit it to the USCA for next year. 8 end games with pre-game practice and draw to the button. Time for ice maintenance between games. Needs to fit into 4 days with a early afternoon end on Sunday. A qualifier type process with playoffs rather than an "event" type spiel. I have helped with the draw for two years. This one also had the benefit of mixing the men and women together for draws.

JH

06-03-14 11:57PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

I wasn't accounting for the pre-game practice (30 minutes) and a scrape between every draw when I suggested expanding the size of the field. That limits the number of draws per day to 5 instead of the six (plus one scrape after 3 draws) that we can use during a bonspiel.

Thanks for the clarification.

06-04-14 07:40AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I have to predict a Broadmoor sweep this year. Mostly because I think that the Potomac transplant, Sethi, can pull it off...but also because I got a signed copy of Guy Sholtz's book (not the good one about Sandra, the other book Between the Sheets which is also pretty good).

The Texas team is skipped by a North Dakota golfer. Sando is the son of Cathy Sando who has a couple of US Women's bronze medals from back in the day. Her son, however, never curled very much. Good athlete, but mostly played hockey and golf.

Ben Tucker

06-04-14 12:52PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

The Pittsburgh teams should be tough especially the guys. They spend a lot of time traveling to spiels so have lots of exposure to dedicated/better ice.

JH
what, you thought I would be rooting for someone who left the GNCC?

06-05-14 09:39AM
MiniMark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MiniMark Click here to Send MiniMark a Private Message Find more posts by MiniMark Add MiniMark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiniMark
Hitting Paint

Whoa!

Don't peek at CZ for 2 days and this thread blows up! Nice!

A lot of lessons were learned last year in Fort Wayne, and a lot more will be, and actually already have been, learned after this year in Lansing. I am hopeful that this event will continue to progress and improve over time with continued support from arena clubs across the nation. It has been a lot of work pulling this together but I think it is really shaping up. Worth it.

If a host steps up with 5+ sheets next year, the demand to increase the field seems to be there, at least on the men's side. The ladies side also had an increase in entries from last year. There were a couple of late withdrawals due to injuries and such, which is why the whole SFBACC is heading east. Kinda like a reverse "Beverly Hillbillies." What they don't know is that they all have to do a shot of "The Judge" before we'll let 'em in.

Brooms Up! will be here with their gianormous trailer, ready to sell! They are a great sponsor of USA Curling.

Follow the event- live scoring on CurlingZone!
Facebook- US Arena National Curling Championship
Twitter- #2014ArenaNats follow@CurlingZone and @terry_usacurl
No webcast- a discussion for a later time.

Now, for entertainment purposes only...I cannot pick a winner because I am playing in it too. But, 5 consecutive regional championships and no love from tuck? He clearly hates front end players.

2 sets of new rocks being delivered tomorrow, ice prep starts Monday morning (Kevin Madsen, Quentin Way, 2 other gents from MN), teams rolling in Wednesday...someone wake me when it is June 16th!

I hope everyone has a great time here in Lansing!

Mark McElwee
Co-Chair and Boss In General
2014 Arena National Championships

06-05-14 05:42PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Mark, write a good book...get it published...autograph a copy and send it to me for free. Until then, I'm picking Guy.

I would be picking Ngo, but I'm not certain how to pronounce it and Witzke hasn't promised any free appetizers.

Ben Tucker
Arena Curling Expert

06-06-14 12:26AM
curlky
Drawmaster

No webcast, why discuss at a later time. Why not just explain?

06-06-14 03:05PM
rbi
Hitting Paint

+1

would like to learn more about why there won't be a webcast. webcasts have been such a great development for USA curling over the past couple of years. would like to see one at every event. even w/o commentary is better than nothing.

06-06-14 03:52PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Webcast. Contact the USCA, most likely Terry Kolesar.

06-07-14 07:44AM
MiniMark
Hitting Paint

Patience, grasshopper

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
No webcast, why discuss at a later time. Why not just explain?

All in due time. I need to focus my energy in a positive direction to produce the best quality event for the participants.

Mark

06-08-14 08:34PM
curlky
Drawmaster

From your tone, the reason for no streaming is not yours. And I would assume that it is not something simple, like we don't have cameras.

I cant understand why USA curling would organize an event and not stream it, even without announcing. If someone at USA curling is responsible for no streaming, I think it is fair to go ahead and say what happened. If this is internal to the Lansing club, then an answer of something like we just couldn't get everything organized to make it happen.

06-09-14 08:01AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

It is probably due to it being a "Nationals", therefore property of the USCA and USOC (seriously, check the agreements), therefore you can't webstream it without going through a ton of legal crap, which no one had the desire to do for what they perceive as a third Tier event.

(please note, I am not saying it's a 3rd Tier event, I'm saying that in the minds of the USCA and USOC, it is...the curlers in this aren't on the HPP and Worlds track, so they get no resources).

I understand that "NBC and the USOC own the rights, we gotta work around them" makes sense for "real" Nationals...but when they write the contracts next time, there really should be a default "If you aren't going to televise it, the rights revert to us automatically" clause...preferably, IMO, draw by draw.

Of course, that'll never happen, because USOC is a multi-tentacted parasite that destroys the grassroots of sports it comes into contact with in the name of "MEDALS!!!!"

06-09-14 10:50AM
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

The USCA owns the rights to all digital and TV productions from all USCA championships (which includes the Internet and web streaming rights), and has licensed these to the U.S. Olympic Committee for an annual payment that helps support the growth and development of curling in many different ways. (direct quote from Rick Patzke before Mixed which also did not have a webstream)

Additionally there are minimum standards required to stream including multiple cameras and a minimum upload speed.

Not saying I like it, just relaying the facts. The kids were looking forward to watching our friends curl.

06-09-14 10:57AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

and by "many and different ways" they mean allowing them to continue focusing more and more on fewer and fewer curlers.

06-09-14 12:27PM
curlky
Drawmaster

So Mark, are you willing to confirm that the above speculation is correct?

06-09-14 04:18PM
rbi
Hitting Paint

yikes, i hope that's not it

if that speculation is accurate then we might never see arena nationals streamed in the future either. it's never going to be big enough for USOC to care about it, and yet a lot of USA curlers would enjoy seeing it. even if the quality is not the best.