Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-06-12 09:29AM
gtiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gtiller Click here to Send gtiller a Private Message Find more posts by gtiller Add gtiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gtiller
Knee-Slider

EQ Broom Heads Cleaning

Wondering if anyone has any advice on the best way to clean the EQ broom heads.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-06-12 10:11AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

This goes for all performance brushes...

Take them to a wand car wash. Clip it into the mat holder. Blast it with water. Flip it. Blast it.

It'll look brand new.

Let it dry before you curl...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.70.34.230

03-06-12 12:35PM
youngen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for youngen Click here to Send youngen a Private Message Find more posts by youngen Add youngen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

I would email one of the manufacturers like Balance Plus and see if they recommend any special care since the EQ heads have that metallic foil layer inside.

Otherwise, to avoid the carwash, a little dishsoap or laundry detergent and warm water with a vegetable bristle brush will get most of the dirt off. Then, for an added measure I usually put all my broom heads in the top rack of my dishwasher and run the shortest cycle.

For drying, if you can survive without it for a while put it over a floor vent on your house. For quicker drying, I would put it in a ziplock bag with white rice. That will suck the moisture out of the fabric and foam. Either way will still take an hour or more.

Once they are dry, be sure to look for any tiny fibers sticking up from the fabric. Those will come off when sweeping and possibly cause a pick. To get rid of those, run a lighter flame over the head quickly to burn them off. That shouldn't be an issue though with the EQ heads as the material is different from the original ones.

03-06-12 12:37PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

What about carpet or fabric cleaner?

03-06-12 04:50PM
Unregistered

Ive been wondering this as well, and about the quality/consistency of the EQ Broom heads. I coach a curling team in Alberta and was convinced by the quality when these heads first game out. We ordered 10 heads through Kevin's Store in the Saville Centre last march with tapered BP brooms which were great.

This season, the team needed more broom heads which were fine I think but I have purchased several separately which broke down extremely fast. Since November, I have bought 4 new EQ heads for my self (2 black ones in November and 2 red ones last week), all which have deteriorated to a carpet like material in no more than two games being played. Balance Plus replaced my black ones (which were great) but Performance was who distributed the red ones last week which I bought in Calgary and broke down at Mixed Southerns in less than 2 games per head. I was forced to use my oldest EQ head in my bag which I bought prior to Men's Districts back in December.

Anybody have any issues with this as well?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 75.159.29.175

03-06-12 05:34PM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

I have been using a green EQ head for going on a month throwing mostly vice and can see little wear at all on the head. The Kevlar fabric seems like it will last considerably longer than a normal brush. I am very pleased.

03-06-12 11:06PM
Unregistered

We are finding that after an end to end sweep that the EQ heads are sticking to the ice. You have to be careful not to burn the rock when it is slowing down.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 72.39.158.49

03-07-12 09:02AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

When your brush heads start sticking is the surface material on the head wet?

03-07-12 11:25AM
Yankee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Yankee Click here to Send Yankee a Private Message Find more posts by Yankee Add Yankee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yankee
Harvey Hacksmasher

EQ Fabric

Does anyone know where you can buy this EQ fabric or what it is called?

03-07-12 11:32AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

Re: EQ Fabric

quote:
Originally posted by Yankee

The secret is not the material. It's the mylar behind the material. The mylar reflects the heat back towards the ice and makes the sweeper more efficient.

03-07-12 11:39AM
Yankee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Yankee Click here to Send Yankee a Private Message Find more posts by Yankee Add Yankee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yankee
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: EQ Fabric

quote:
Originally posted by CaptMorgan

The secret is not the material. It's the mylar behind the material. The mylar reflects the heat back towards the ice and makes the sweeper more efficient.

OK.. if it's not a secret what is it called and/or where can you buy it?

03-07-12 12:12PM
Super Rockchucker

A post above indicates it is a Kevlar fabric but even that comes in a wide variety.

03-07-12 01:11PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: EQ Fabric

quote:
OK.. if it's not a secret what is it called and/or where can you buy it?

I did not know that it is Kevlar but...here...
Kevlar Fabric on eBay

12-15-12 07:37PM
Unregistered

It's not kevlar, if you used kevlar then you are wasting money and do terrible things to the ice. I make them and the fabric is difficult to find.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.151.127.211

10-08-13 03:25PM
Unregistered

Re: EQ Fabric

quote:

Condura is the main type of fabric on the pads. SOME of the Condurs have that somewhat plastic type or vinyl on the backside, and thats what I use on my home made EQ type pads. The foil on the inside is the thicker metal type true-DUCT tape from Home Depot. I buy the Condura at Mitchells in Winnipeg.
These can only be washed with a scrubby-type brush and mild dish detergent. If you put a EQ type pad in any type of washing machine, the vinyl type finish will disintergrate.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 68.179.94.45

05-31-14 10:40AM
Flame6264 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flame6264 Click here to Send Flame6264 a Private Message Find more posts by Flame6264 Add Flame6264 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flame6264
Harvey Hacksmasher

NEVER use alot of soap on cleaning your broom heads, I used a lot of soap on my regular broom head and it ruined it.

05-31-14 01:49PM
Unregistered

Never try and wash your EQ brush. Anything you do to it will only ruin the performance of it. When it is wet, use a smooth cloth to wipe the head. Wipe it in one direction, one time, and that's it.

DO NOT use a scrub brush to clean your EQ, ever. If you do, the woven waterproof fibers will frey and lose their ability to repel moisture. To maximize the effectiveness of your brushing, inspect the heads regularly for this type of wear. If you see it, replace it and continue to max out your sweeping.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.254.214.41