Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
06-16-14 09:44PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

HPP and Fundraising Webinar

just finished listening to the USA Curling "HPP and Fundraising" webinar.

any comments?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-16-14 09:50PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

the discussion at the end of the webinar about corporate sponsorship was interesting. USA Curling does not plan to try to find new corporate sponsorships until/unless USA teams win medals. but they also seem to say that USA Curling teams won't win many medals until significantly more money is found. somewhere.

wrongheaded? somehow, somewhere there must be an American corporation that is willing and happy to provide large amounts of money ($100K or more) to sponsor Team USA curling.

06-16-14 10:10PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Crap. I forgot all about it. Just sat around tonight and did nothing. Crap.

Ben Tucker

06-16-14 10:19PM
rbi
Hitting Paint

I think they recorded it. No idea how to access the recording, but probably there is a way.

06-16-14 11:01PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by rbi
USA Curling does not plan to try to find new corporate sponsorships until/unless USA teams win medals.

Seriously, this was said? I would like some more details about this. I find this idea to be completely unacceptible

06-16-14 11:43PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

Was this a Jürgen Klinsmann moment?

06-17-14 07:55AM
My three sons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for My three sons Find more posts by My three sons Add My three sons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My three sons
Harvey Hacksmasher

I was surprised that no one asked what format was going to be utilized for the next USA Olympic Trials or are the teams going to be selected by the HPP Director.
I would hope that a democratic playoff system would still be used but Mr. Brown seems to have them hooked on his methodology. Which I still believe is lacking in qualified personnel/coaching.

06-17-14 08:15AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

The recorded webinar should be posted here at some point.

http://www.w.usra.org/USA-Curling/A...urling/Webinars

07-19-14 12:57PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Didn't the USCA just hire a dedicated fund-raiser? It may be more challenging to raise funds for sponsoring recently under-performing US teams, but that's why we hire professionals.

07-21-14 02:30AM
rbi
Hitting Paint

details about hiring of USA Curling fundraising manager here: link to press release

07-21-14 03:21AM
rbi
Hitting Paint

during the June webinar it was said that the new fundraising manager was not tasked with going after corporate sponsorships, that corporations might not sponsor USA Curling until/unless Team USA wins medals, and that the USA Curling leadership is content with the current set of corporate sponsors (Ram Brewery, AtomAmpd, Sitrin, Brooms Up and Nike).

Personally, I don't get it. It seems that corporate sponsorship is the way to the podium for any Team USA sport that wants to win medals. It is the only source of funds large enough for the job, the only way to support a team of curlers such that they can concentrate on curling full-time the way the Chinese, Russians, Scots, Norwegians and others do.

I also question the "we won't get corporate sponsorship w/o medals" message. As a counter example, USA Luge has a long list of sponsors (27 of them) while winning the same number of Olympic medals as curling over the past 3 Olympiads (1 bronze).

Even USA Team Handball, a team that regularly doesn't even qualify for the Olympics or World Championships, somehow manages to win at least one significant corporate sponsor.

07-21-14 05:03PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Just listened to the webinar part on fundraising. Wheelchairs and "outreach to veterans" were mentioned there, but silent on either in the HP part.

The face of the multiple Canadian wheelchair Olympic medalist skip popped into my mind. A fabulous "senior" and wheelchair consistently winning competitive curler our current HP and national fundraising plan would completely ignore?

Then I started thinking of all the wonderful Canadian and USA curlers at "elite" level who have parents or grandparents who curled and coached competitively. How I would love to see some data on them like the Miss Sinclair whom Tuck mentioned in the Combine thread. Our HP plan says its coaches are spread "too thin" and so must be "full-time" and work only with the selected "right athletes". No plans to take advantage or provide any help to non-HP staff coaches like Mr. Sinclair or any of the other great junior coaches having success out in the field? Or helping or involving competitive senior curlers in any way?

Last edited by Alice on 07-21-14 at 05:11PM

07-21-14 07:02PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

More info from the Q&A at the end. There is HP support for unselected curlers and their coaches.

(1) Open invite for one weekend camp with HP staff this summer in one location
(2) HP funds for a Curling Zone statistics package for at least one national event
(3) Tips and pointers from national staff in "Curling News"

Did I miss anything else?

07-21-14 08:24PM
Mike54321 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike54321 Click here to Send Mike54321 a Private Message Find more posts by Mike54321 Add Mike54321 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike54321
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Alice
More info from the Q&A at the end. There is HP support for unselected curlers and their coaches.

(1) Open invite for one weekend camp with HP staff this summer in one location
(2) HP funds for a Curling Zone statistics package for at least one national event
(3) Tips and pointers from national staff in "Curling News"

Did I miss anything else?

I'm under the impression that the HP Open Camp is really just a fantasy camp open to the ones with the deepest pockets. The criteria and the form does not make sense. Why do they claim to look for potential when fitness level and athletic background is not asked for on the form when it was on the combine form? Why would anyone pay $350-1400 when they could go get private lessons from a level 3 instructor at a curling club for free? What is the difference between a regional playdown and a non-ladder bonspiel esp when playdowns are no longer used as a way to get to the Olympic Trials? Where on the form can you apply as an individual?

07-23-14 04:47PM
rbi
Hitting Paint

the open hpp camp in Blaine, MN August 15-17 appears to be more than just a fantasy camp. they appear to be looking for established teams dedicated to competitive curling. they appear to be choosing entries to the camp based on past successes. this seems like a good way to use the Blaine facility and the coaching talent available in the area (Benton, Fenson, Drobnick, Swisshelm) to improve the competitive level of more US teams.

if it were a fantasy camp, then that seems like a good fundraiser for the HPP program. $350 per curler for three days also seems comparable to the cost of other camps available to club curlers, like these two:

http://www.fourfootcurling.com/
http://www.hotshotscurling.com/

Still, I think their intent is an HPP camp primarily aimed at competitive teams with some individuals accepted/invited as well. It's "open" in the sense that participants do not need to be among the small group of athletes who receive HPP funding.