Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 9 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-09-13 08:22AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by peteski
Big time clutch shot by Stoughton in that atmosphere. Props to him.

I know the crowd was a little overboard there (props also to Glenn for enjoying the moment), but I have to say that was some of the most exciting curling I've seen in awhile, and the atmosphere of the crowd was a big part of it. It reminded me of the Vancouver Olympics. I know I've heard curlers say they loved that atmosphere (for the most part). Isn't curling better when the crowd is way into it?

I guess here's my question: where do people think the line should be for a curling crowd? I remember in the Gold Medal game in Vancouver someone blew an airhorn during Ulsrud's backswing. We can probably agree that the crowd shouldn't be doing that. Maybe as long as the crowd quiets before the opposing team shoots, that would be satisfactory. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Its kind of a tricky question because, yeah its better when a crowd gets into it however I think the noise needs to stop while the curlers are throwing their rocks or making their shots. you want to support your team, thats fine but you should not be making noise that might cause the opposition to miss or interfere with their communication. The Olympics was a big example of this. Not only the instance you mentioned but in the womens game against Denmark the noise the crowd made when madeliene dupont was delivering her final stone cost them the game because they couldnt hear to communicate with eachother.

I also think that chanting stugg like"stoughton sucks" is uncalled for. Like i said cheer on your team but show some respect for the other side too

Last edited by misty1 on 03-09-13 at 08:46AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-09-13 02:29PM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Nice to see the crowd fired up, but come on, when a player is in the hack take it down to a dull roar.

Curling is not golf, but common courtesy is let the players concentrate while they're in the hack.

Wonder if they will have volunteers hoisting signs urging fans to be quiet like they do in golf

03-09-13 02:39PM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by KittyHisses
Jeff has really been so bad the last couple days. He hasnt been great all event really, but the last couple days he has been about the worst I have seen him play. If he doesnt get his act together he is going to get slapped around in the playoffs, especialy by Howard.

Such a shame Martin did all he needed to and still didnt get in.

WHERE do you and MB get your 'facts' on Jeff Stoughton?? You report he hasn't been playing well, especially the last couple of days ... when his shooting percentage has hovered around 90%! Try 86%, 92%, 89% abd 91% for his last four games. And his 86% for the week was good enough for 3rd among skips, topped only by Howard and Gushue at 89%.

Jeff has always been one of the best pure shooters in the game. You might want to check out the 'Jeff Stoughton Highlight Reel 1' and '2' posted on YouTube if any doubt; it is very entertaining, and should be sufficient to enlighten even ML.

While the Howard rink is deservedly the favorite the way they have been playing, I wouldn't be so quick to write-off the Stoughton rink. With the 3rd best-ranked skip and all world 3rd Jon Mead, I expect a great 1-2 game.

03-09-13 02:42PM
Par89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par89 Find more posts by Par89 Add Par89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par89
Swing Artist

I guess the time has come to put ML on ignore. If he thinks his nicknames are funny, I don't. Did not appreciate loud mouthed frenchman and poutine something or other. Maybe the reason you get such little respect on this site is because you don't respect others.

03-09-13 03:12PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by chapnlie

WHERE do you and MB get your 'facts' on Jeff Stoughton?? You report he hasn't been playing well, especially the last couple of days ... when his shooting percentage has hovered around 90%! Try 86%, 92%, 89% abd 91% for his last four games. And his 86% for the week was good enough for 3rd among skips, topped only by Howard and Gushue at 89%.

Jeff has always been one of the best pure shooters in the game. You might want to check out the 'Jeff Stoughton Highlight Reel 1' and '2' posted on YouTube if any doubt; it is very entertaining, and should be sufficient to enlighten even ML.

While the Howard rink is deservedly the favorite the way they have been playing, I wouldn't be so quick to write-off the Stoughton rink. With the 3rd best-ranked skip and all world 3rd Jon Mead, I expect a great 1-2 game.

stats dont tell the whole story and when i look at the numbers this week i think they were being pretty darn generous. Even for a brier the numbers look inflated..its not often we see an 85% down tied for 6ht or 7th in the cumulative standings.

Jeff has been making alot of big shots and thats what matters but he's also missed alot of routine shots and some in shocking fashion..some which i havent seen him miss that way in a long time. For example: he's had more draws sail through the house then i can remember seeing him miss that way in my lifetime.

03-09-13 03:28PM
coorsman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coorsman Click here to Send coorsman a Private Message Find more posts by coorsman Add coorsman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coorsman
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by chapnlie

You might want to check out the 'Jeff Stoughton Highlight Reel 1' and '2' posted on YouTube if any doubt; it is very entertaining, and should be sufficient to enlighten even ML.

Thanks for the props. The Jeff Stoughton Highlight Reel series was my creation. Just last Sat I upped part 3. Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7i2yi3YutU

am with you about Jeff this week. What no-one knows is Jeff's first miss vs the Territories was in the 9th end. Apparently it was a costly miss though. It happens. Last 3 games have been very well played, just they have had some great shots made against them too. There is no doubt in my mind that the BC MB game was better curled than the ON AB game last night, and the numbers support that as well. The 3rds for each team were 100% thru 8 ends.

03-09-13 04:04PM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Here is my unofficial Brier all-star field. http://hurryhardblog.blogspot.ca/20...-team-what.html

03-09-13 06:48PM
magicstew is offline Click Here to See the Profile for magicstew Click here to Send magicstew a Private Message Find more posts by magicstew Add magicstew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
magicstew
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Jeff put up a valiant struggle vs. a superior Ontario squad but suffered from the same thing that usually bugaboos them - inferior rock positioning.

Came to haunt them in 9 as Jeff had to draw the potski twice and could only do it once!

Nichols and Reid were the culprits but neither Mead nor Stoughton could come up with a stunner!

Good luck in the semi-final boys - you've given Howard a direct ticket into the golden game!

Its not over till its over.

03-09-13 06:49PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

A bit premature there...Howard just handed Stoughton his ticket to the final. Reminiscent of what happened to JJ in the Scotties - best team all week only to struggle in the playoffs.

I agree with Linda, Howard was talked into playing a shot he wasn't comfortable with and that pick of middaugh's second rock didn't help matters.

Oh well, tonight's winner of the 3/4 gets to meet Howard tomorrow Will there be a rematch?

03-09-13 06:49PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Jeff put up a valiant struggle vs. a superior Ontario squad but suffered from the same thing that usually bugaboos them - inferior rock positioning.

Came to haunt them in 9 as Jeff had to draw the potski twice and could only do it once!

Nichols and Reid were the culprits but neither Mead nor Stoughton could come up with a stunner!

Good luck in the semi-final boys - you've given Howard a direct ticket into the golden game!

Oh ye of little faith!!
Good luck in the semis Howard, Middaugh just geve Stoughton a direct ticket into the golden game.
Once again Middaugh lives or dies by the big weight and talks Glen into a shot that didn't need to be played!

03-09-13 06:50PM
icehog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for icehog Click here to Send icehog a Private Message Find more posts by icehog Add icehog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
icehog
Harvey Hacksmasher

got to say I'm pretty sure Stoughton out-smarted Howard today. Memories of a Dacey brier win . . .

03-09-13 06:53PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by icehog
got to say I'm pretty sure Stoughton out-smarted Howard today. Memories of a Dacey brier win . . .

Too true. Wonder if Ontario can regroup. Get to cheer for Gushue and his team of hotties tonight

03-09-13 06:56PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Ridiculous shot selection by Ontario. Hit the back one, concede the 2, and take hammer to the extra.

03-09-13 07:08PM
dewd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dewd Click here to Send dewd a Private Message Find more posts by dewd Add dewd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dewd
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Feel bad for Glenn. They curled wonderfully....

I didn't think either team was all that sharp today - no where near the game that lasts nights was, even though there was obviously much more on the line for Howard today.

03-09-13 07:25PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
glens last shot was a good call .. i have no problem with it ... would make it 9 outa 10 times and win the game
Totally disagree. Even if he doesn't tick the guard, he easily could have jammed either manitoba rock and still given up 2. The double was far from automatic. Just didn't seem worth it, especially when the alternative is to play an extra with hammer.

03-09-13 07:43PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Par89
I guess the time has come to put ML on ignore. If he thinks his nicknames are funny, I don't. Did not appreciate loud mouthed frenchman and poutine something or other. Maybe the reason you get such little respect on this site is because you don't respect others.

We definitely need a like button on here. Save CZ some bandwidth.

03-09-13 07:52PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
[i]Originally posted by curlerbroad

I agree with Linda, Howard was talked into playing a shot he wasn't comfortable with and that pick of middaugh's second rock didn't help matters.

Oh well, tonight's winner of the 3/4 gets to meet Howard tomorrow Will there be a rematch? [/B]

Glenn was definitely talked into that shot. He didn't want to try it I'm sure. Too bad and hopefully there will be a rematch.

03-09-13 07:59PM
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
howard is the epitomy of a team ... the team made the decision .. he missed by 1/16 of an inch

Curling is definitely a game of centimeters. Notice also that the Howard rink is so cool when they lose a game. Proud of those boys. Good luck fellows on the upcoming rematch.

03-09-13 08:05PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Page game

What a crazy end to that game! Glenn ticks and gives a draw for 3 and then jeff only barely gets it there

03-09-13 08:07PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

one option i never heard discussed was just picking the rock. Why not just up the weight a bit and pick out that rock? give jeff the chance for 2. It wasnt going to be easy to hit that yellow one and not roll out or jam on his own

03-09-13 08:10PM
coorsman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coorsman Click here to Send coorsman a Private Message Find more posts by coorsman Add coorsman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coorsman
Swing Artist

Game of inches for sure. I thought for sure Jeff had crashed on his tap for 2, but the boys got it by. A few ends later Glenn gets burned by a tick.

To suggest a team of Jeff`s caliber had no chance of winning was ludicrous. I would have given them a 2 in 5 chance in that game. Especially since Howard wasn`t quite as sharp as they had been earlier in the week.

03-09-13 08:32PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
TIme for Frescas favourite portion of the Brier. Manitoba Legends casting call for actors to play our top curlers.

Brad Pitt - Jeff Stoughton
Charlie Sheen - Kevin Martin
Bud Bundy (David Faustino) - Brad Gushue
Red Green (Steve Smith) - Wayne Middaugh
Martin Short (with bald wig) - Jonathan Mead
Bradley Cooper - Johnny Mo
Harvey Keitel - Victor Rauter
Jennifer Lawrence - Kaitlyn Lawes
Paget Brewster - Rachel Homan
Peter Mansbridge - Glenn Howard
Mike Smith (Bubbles) - Mark Nichols
Sasha Baron Cohen - Brock Virtue
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Martin Crete (Sam Kinison if still alive)
Al Pacino - Manitoba Legend
Jessica Chastain - Curlerbroad

shia labeouf is a far better choice to play Brock virtue.

03-09-13 08:49PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

I rewound the PVR and watched the Ontario discussion before the shot. Couldn't tell for sure who actually brought up the double (i think it was Laing), but it didn't seem like Glen was 'talked into it' at all - it may not have been his first choice, but he was pretty receptive to it.

03-09-13 08:59PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

from the Winnipeg Free Press, Howard says:

"Howard insisted he had no regrets about the shot he called. "I have a shot to win the game which really isn’t that tough and the yellow (Ontario) rock shouldn’t have been in play," said Howard, adding his final shot curled way more than he thought it would. "The bottom line is I missed."

03-09-13 09:02PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
TIme for Frescas favourite portion of the Brier. Manitoba Legends casting call for actors to play our top curlers.

Brad Pitt - Jeff Stoughton
Charlie Sheen - Kevin Martin
Bud Bundy (David Faustino) - Brad Gushue
Red Green (Steve Smith) - Wayne Middaugh
Martin Short (with bald wig) - Jonathan Mead
Bradley Cooper - Johnny Mo
Harvey Keitel - Victor Rauter
Jennifer Lawrence - Kaitlyn Lawes
Paget Brewster - Rachel Homan
Peter Mansbridge - Glenn Howard
Mike Smith (Bubbles) - Mark Nichols
Sasha Baron Cohen - Brock Virtue
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Martin Crete (Sam Kinison if still alive)
Al Pacino - Manitoba Legend
Jessica Chastain - Curlerbroad

Late adds:
CM Punk - Ryan Fry
Jill Officer - Brett Gallant

Flattery will get you everywhere ML. Btw I was a the high park bonspiel and all the young girls were swooning over Brett Gallant. The old girls were enjoying their wine.