Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 13 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-11-13 11:58AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
The saddest part of Jeff's demise was that even an impotent Glenn Howard, saddled with a mealy-mouthed and non-contributory third took the Soo Assault to last brick while a slightly befuddled Brad Gushue fought valiantly and managed to stretch his exit to a final rock in an extra end.

Jeff looked feeble and spent while Jacobs conducted his clinical demolition.

Well Jeff didn't have much help except from Nicols the lead. The team just came out flat. Were they expecting an easy win, got stunned in the first few ends and were never able to recover? Maybe Nicols should move up to Second...Mead looked annoyed the whole time but unlike other thirds, kept his mouth shut and tried to maintain a positive demeanour.

I don't think the extra long 5th end break helped anyone except the NO Power Sweepers (my what guns on those boys ).

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-11-13 12:01PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Im not trying to say team Jacobs doesnt deserve the win or that they wouldnt have won if Jeff curled well. All i am saying is that it was painful to watch last night in one way..and that it would have been nice if both teams turned up

03-11-13 12:45PM
Curling Dave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling Dave Click here to Send Curling Dave a Private Message Visit Curling Dave's homepage! Find more posts by Curling Dave Add Curling Dave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling Dave
Swing Artist

What did everyone think of TSN's 4 panel split screen where they showed the skip, the shooter in the hack and two views of the house? I loved it!

Dave

03-11-13 12:48PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Ditto. But I only saw it in the internet stream. Did they use it on TV?

03-11-13 12:59PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Curling Dave
What did everyone think of TSN's 4 panel split screen where they showed the skip, the shooter in the hack and two views of the house? I loved it!

Dave

Only if you have a 60+ inch screen.

03-11-13 01:42PM
Canada Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Canada Curler Click here to Send Canada Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Canada Curler Add Canada Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Canada Curler
Knee-Slider

I only have 42" and I thought it was great.

03-11-13 02:02PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

46". Thought it was fantastic.

03-11-13 03:53PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Northern Ontario did curl well, they deserve credit for that

but lets be honest the jeff that turned up last night was just plain awful. I think he'd agree its probably the worst matche he's played in a very long time...I was stunned how bad he was

I kept expecting him to gte better at least but he kept getting worse.

I think you vastly underestimate how well the NO team played and its effect on Jeff. Pressure the other team good things can happen. I think Canada will win both world events this year.

I agree Jeff was at times off his game this week ( he's normally the most consistant hitter in the field ) which I attribute to him and others ( like Martin, Howard ) getting older. You can't expect players around 50 years old to be at their best for a dozen games. Howard was good all week until playoffs when his team dominated the 1-2 game but he couldn't close the deal on several key shots.

Newfoundland also impressed me; if the team can stick together ( life might get in the way ) they'll contend for years. Middle two guys were steller at times; Gushue was the best player in the Brier and should have been first team all star skip.

03-11-13 04:00PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

I think you vastly underestimate how well the NO team played and its effect on Jeff. Pressure the other team good things can happen. I think Canada will win both world events this year.

I agree Jeff was at times off his game this week ( he's normally the most consistant hitter in the field ) which I attribute to him and others ( like Martin, Howard ) getting older. You can't expect players around 50 years old to be at their best for a dozen games. Howard was good all week until playoffs when his team dominated the 1-2 game but he couldn't close the deal on several key shots.

Newfoundland also impressed me; if the team can stick together ( life might get in the way ) they'll contend for years. Middle two guys were steller at times; Gushue was the best player in the Brier and should have been first team all star skip.

Like i said i know northern ontario curled well but jeff has faced better teams curling well in the same situation and still not crumbled, he responded.

I was fine with either winning i just hoping for a good match which this wasnt

03-11-13 05:35PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Agreed on the potential. Gallant looked really good. But what is the longest that Gushue has ever managed to keep a team together?

Wonder what he was thinking watching Fry and Nichols in the final. And Schille also playing for another team.

03-11-13 07:51PM
Lotus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lotus Click here to Send Lotus a Private Message Find more posts by Lotus Add Lotus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lotus
Harvey Hacksmasher

Even if Jeff and co. played their best I still think NO would've have given them a game. Congrats Team Jacobs -- you deserve a ton of credit. Great to see some fresh blood win the Brier. Bring home the gold!

03-11-13 08:26PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

CTV News Winnipeg had an interview with Jeff at the Airport, arriving home and he gave a wonderful interview and great words on Team Jacobs and how good they were.

03-11-13 08:36PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Lotus
Even if Jeff and co. played their best I still think NO would've have given them a game. Congrats Team Jacobs -- you deserve a ton of credit. Great to see some fresh blood win the Brier. Bring home the gold!

yeah it would have been a tight score and they still would have had a great chance to win. Its just not that fun a final when only one team really shows up and curls well and its basically over at the 5 end break

03-11-13 11:27PM
North60 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for North60 Click here to Send North60 a Private Message Find more posts by North60 Add North60 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
North60
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Curling Dave

Dave

I loved it. i've been bitching for years about the game we're missing due to the overhead, rolling ad, camera angle. Who needs to watch two people sweeping a rock for ? 1/2 the game.

A shot from the house looking down the sheet so we can actually see the rock curl in relation to rocks in play would be even better. the only way i can tell how the shot looks coming down the ice is by listening to calls for sweeping or not.

I know it's a fantastic billboard to peddle monsanto and tim's but i so wish i could watch from the ends and tell for myself if someone hit the broom or not or if a spot was straight or if in fact a rock did pick something up while traveling a bazillion miles-an-hour.

Sorry for the rant.

03-12-13 12:10AM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Just my thoughts on Team Homan and Team Jacobs. Both teams, other than a couple minor changes, have played together since they were 12 years-old. Seems to work a lot better than the mix-and-match philosophy.
http://hurryhardblog.blogspot.ca/20...g-exercise.html

03-12-13 07:45AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Wally Curler
Just my thoughts on Team Homan and Team Jacobs. Both teams, other than a couple minor changes, have played together since they were 12 years-old. Seems to work a lot better than the mix-and-match philosophy.
http://hurryhardblog.blogspot.ca/20...g-exercise.html

Fry cannot be considered a minor change!!!

03-12-13 09:35AM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

Good to see a new talent win for once. The mens game, especialy in Canada has been sorely lacking in up and coming talent for over a decade now, being dominated by 50 year old skips who could be playing Seniors. Hopefully it wont be long before McEwan and possibly Gushue win their first Briers as well.

03-12-13 01:44PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by KittyHisses
Good to see a new talent win for once. The mens game, especialy in Canada has been sorely lacking in up and coming talent for over a decade now, being dominated by 50 year old skips who could be playing Seniors. Hopefully it wont be long before McEwan and possibly Gushue win their first Briers as well.

WHAT!!! Canada’s mens has been lacking?

Just because the best teams were the experienced ones does not mean the game was “lacking”.

The women’s game, now that is lacking! When was the last world champion from Canada? Oh yeah….
2008 - JENNIFER JONES!

Ba-zing

03-12-13 03:30PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Gushue will be 33 or 34 when he auto-berths for his next Brier attempt.

McEwen is almost as old. Don Duguid retired at 36 in 1971 after winning 2 straight briers, 2 straight worlds.

I think Jacobs could very well dominate the game for the next four or five years.

Gushue's team is almost on par with Jacobs and always relied on Goo's superior curling IQ compared to B. Jacobs. Don't think that holds anymore as I saw some great changes to the positive for Jacobs (having Fry gives him a great alternative voice).

McEwen just doesn't have the key-shot consistency to handle either Jacobs or Gushue, assuming he can finally get out of Manitoba.

Just a semi-educated guess but the next great group of young skips to lead the game:

1. Brett Gallant - this kid has superstar written all over him.

2. Brock Virtue - can he assemble a monster front end?

3. Marc Kennedy - he'll try his hand at skipping if Martin turns in his card.

yeah, if i had to name the top 5 young male skips in the country right now and that i think will take over once martin, howard and stouhgton step down it would be:

Jacobs
Epping
Mcewen
Virtue
Gushue

I think Virtue's team should stay as it is. His front end is pretty good

I think that these 5 are going to have a very interesting rivalry..and while i dont see any of them being completely dominant over the other i think they will be head and shoulders above the rest. These 5 are the skips that will be winning briers for years to come

03-12-13 04:01PM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

You're correct, Virtue has a good team. THey just need a little more experience.

03-12-13 04:47PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

When the big 3 retire, let's not forget about Kevin Koe. He's only 38. He'll be a serious contender for the rest of the decade.

03-12-13 04:52PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

I saw on the interview with Jon Mead last night that from Sat. afternoon when they won, until Sunday evening when they played, they did not get to practice.

I found that a little strange. Sure they have been curling for a week on that ice, but a practice should have been offered.

03-12-13 04:56PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

With games Sat night, Sun morn and Sun aft, doesn't surprise me that there was no practice slot.

Yet another reason why the Bronze Medal game should go!

03-12-13 05:01PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
I saw on the interview with Jon Mead last night that from Sat. afternoon when they won, until Sunday evening when they played, they did not get to practice.

I found that a little strange. Sure they have been curling for a week on that ice, but a practice should have been offered.

Thats not fair at all.How do you justify something like that? sure they have been playing on the ice all week but the ice might change

Last edited by misty1 on 03-12-13 at 05:05PM

03-12-13 05:02PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
When the big 3 retire, let's not forget about Kevin Koe. He's only 38. He'll be a serious contender for the rest of the decade.

yeah, i guess thats true.