Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 15 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-28-13 11:00AM
bradn87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bradn87 Click here to Send bradn87 a Private Message Visit bradn87's homepage! Find more posts by bradn87 Add bradn87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bradn87
Hitting Paint

2013 Tim Hortons Brier

One day to go. Time to place your bets. Let's discuss the 2013 Brier!

For reference, here are the skips representing their provinces/territories this year:

Alberta: Kevin Martin
British Columbia: Andrew Bilesky
Manitoba: Jeff Stoughton
New Brunswick: James Grattan
Newfoundland & Labrador: Brad Gushue
Northern Ontario: Brad Jacobs
Northwest Territories: Jamies Koe
Nova Scotia: Paul Flemming
Ontario: Glenn Howard
Prince Edward Island: Eddie MacKenzie
Quebéc: Jean-Michel Ménard
Saskatchewan: Brock Virtue

Any thoughts? Predictions? Here are our musings on this year's tournament: http://www.curlingscoops.com/news/2013/brier-preview/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-28-13 12:21PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Jacobs makes final against Stoughton. Then it could go either way.

02-28-13 02:08PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
Jacobs makes final against Stoughton. Then it could go either way.

Groupie!

02-28-13 03:08PM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

I hope Stoughton wins. He deserves another World title. Whichever of Martin, Howard, or Stoughton wins will be the heavy favorite for Worlds though.

02-28-13 11:13PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

I gotta say that I'm feeling Kevin Martin this year. I still remember how they tore through the field 2008-2010 and I believe they'll find close to that form again now that Kevin is pain free.

Who will end up 4th though? NONT,NL,QUE?
My money is on team muscle(NONT)

03-01-13 08:49AM
bradn87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bradn87 Click here to Send bradn87 a Private Message Visit bradn87's homepage! Find more posts by bradn87 Add bradn87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bradn87
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Final Briers likely for several curlers (retirement)

Howard
Stoughton
Mead
Martin???

Really? With the exception of Mead, I don't think any of these will retire after this year. They'll all play one more season so they'll stay sharp for the Olympic trials next fall. I can't see any of these guys throw in the towel mid-way through the season.

If any of these guys win the trials, then yes, this could be their last Brier because they'll miss it next year to be in Sochi.

03-02-13 11:53AM
bradn87
Hitting Paint

Interesting notes... but Brock Virtue ain't going anywhere. Not this year at least. I'd pick Jamie Koe before I pick Virtue for wildcard. Those Koes are dangerous.

Here's a rundown for today's events:
-Hot Shots finals this morning (right now, actually)
-Draw one: NO vs NT, NB vs QC, NS vs NL, SK vs PE
-Draw two: NL vs PE, AB vs MB, NT vs NB, ON vs BC

Thoughts on today's events: http://www.curlingscoops.com/news/2...er-opening-day/

03-02-13 12:14PM
Smallsey42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smallsey42 Click here to Send Smallsey42 a Private Message Find more posts by Smallsey42 Add Smallsey42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smallsey42
Harvey Hacksmasher

Brier trivia

I was disappointed in the other trivia posted here this week, so here are some questions for you. If you like them, I'll post more during the week.

1. Who won the first Hot Shots in 1995?

2. When one player takes to the ice today, he will equal the all-time record of representing the most different provinces/jurisdictions in his Brier career. Who is the player, which provinces/jurisdictions has he represented and whose record will he equal? Hint: the man tying the record will have to play the son of the man who set the record.

3. There are three Canadian junior championship rinks (one won it twice) that each have members on two separate provincial teams at this year’s Brier, name the teams and the players.

4. There are two curlers on two separate teams who both won the Canadian junior championship for the same skip but in different years. Name them.

5. There are members (fifth included) of one World junior championship team spread across three teams at this Brier. Who are they and what teams do they play for.

6. This is Glenn Howard’s 15th Brier, how many times in the past has he not made the Brier playoffs?

7. How many Briers finals has Glenn Howard played in?

03-02-13 12:50PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: Brier trivia

quote:
Originally posted by Smallsey42
here are some questions for you. If you like them, I'll post more during the week.

Wild Guesses:
R.Howard
R.Fry. MB NL NO Folk
Martin Stoughton Virtue - Morris Carruthers Moskowy
ghh. eastern names..
dunno
4 times
4 finals

Okay lots wrong. wanna see the answers. fun. ty

03-02-13 01:25PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Re: Brier trivia

quote:
Originally posted by Smallsey42
I was disappointed in the other trivia posted here this week, so here are some questions for you. If you like them, I'll post more during the week.

1-Brad Heidt?
2-Ryan Fry, represented MB,NL,NONT. He will equal Earle Morris' record who represented ON,MB,QC
3-NB(Roach brothers),AB(Morris),ON(Laing,Savill)
4-Morris(AB),Laing and Savill(ON)
5-Gushue(NL),Morris(AB),Laing and Savill(ON) of 1998?
6-He has always made the playoffs
7-86,87,92,93,94,06,07,08,10,11,12 = 11?

03-02-13 06:51PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

No surprises in this draw. But whoever was throwing last rock for NS needs to go and take curling 101 again.

03-02-13 06:56PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Wonderful draw by Brock to win the game. First Brier, in an extra end with the pressure on and he draws full four foot. Thats got to be a great feeling to walk off the ice with.

03-02-13 07:21PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

They're using a new set of CCA rocks this year at the Brier. Were the same rocks used in the Scotties? Could be interesting if some "inside" information on the new stones was being passed on to the competing teams - surely SK, ON and NT have primary sources for rock data!

03-02-13 09:41PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
They're using a new set of CCA rocks this year at the Brier. Were the same rocks used in the Scotties? Could be interesting if some "inside" information on the new stones was being passed on to the competing teams - surely SK, ON and NT have primary sources for rock data!

Got word from Kim at Canada Curling Stone that the rocks at the Scotties were the same stones used at the Slams, while the stones here at the Brier are new from Kays of Scotland, a new set.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-02-13 10:29PM
curller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curller Click here to Send curller a Private Message Find more posts by curller Add curller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curller
Harvey Hacksmasher

The stones they are using are the same ones that were used in fort Mac for the jr's they mentioned it during the women's final that they would be used at the brier.

03-02-13 10:41PM
Sean
Administrator

Wowza, there's been some super sweeping tonight from Kennedy and Heebz. They just made the draw to the pin for a single :worship:

03-02-13 11:33PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

"This is really bad!"

03-02-13 11:58PM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

Stoughton and his team looked way off today, missed several chances to score more points, and still won against one of the best teams. That is a good sign for them if they can start to play better. Martin also didnt look great today though. Very tenative opening game for both teams. Gushue looks on fire early, better than all 3 of the favorites in fact. Will be interesting how look he can continue that.

03-03-13 01:34AM
coorsman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coorsman Click here to Send coorsman a Private Message Find more posts by coorsman Add coorsman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coorsman
Swing Artist

Stoughton's team looked way better than Martin's today. Sweeping covered some of the spread for Martin, but not all of it. I know the 10th didn't go as they planned, but I don't think being 1 down with hammer scared them at all the way the 2 teams were playing.

03-03-13 09:15AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

as average as both teams looked manitoba still looked the better team throughout, it was kevin constantly having to save the end. If not for kevin manitoba would have been up by a couple in the 10th end anyway..it really would have been a crime if they lost

03-03-13 09:42AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I have never seen Kevin Martin pizz away a final end like he did tonite.

Team K-Mart missed their final 4 shots. ZERO FOR FOUR.

A sympathetic scorer like Gerry might have given Martin 1 out of 4 for his first rock, which also appeared to have caught some goo at the first hog-line. He still managed to move the guard a bit.

Stoughton was definitely off, albeit a tiny bit all game long. But thats mainly cuz he's playing Martin and he's over-thinking every one of his rock placements.

Kevin played pretty well, but the team was stuggling with the ice and rocks all night it seemed (Manitoba was too). If Kevin doesn't make a few fantastic draws, they probably would have lost pretty badly.

To be fair to Kevin in the Xtra End, John Morris had bad misses on both his rocks; John's first miss was what created the problems. Kevin 1st rock picked, and his 2nd was a hail mary. I don't think you can fault Kevin for that end. It was funny though, as I was watching that end unfold, it brought back memories of the 10th end of the World Champ gold medal game against David Murdoch a few years ago.

03-03-13 09:47AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Did Kevin's first rock really pick? I watched it a couple of times and the replay and didn't see it, all I saw was Kevin doing his usual, blame something else. Also while watching the reply, the commentators will usually say "there it was, right there, where it picked up something." They were all quite, nothing was said.

Just wondering, as I said, I sure didn't see it. Although he was in trouble by then anyway.

03-03-13 09:49AM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

If it didn't pick, then it was a horrible throw because it was nothing close to the shot he was playing. His reaction was pretty instantaneous, so I gotta believe it picked.

03-03-13 09:52AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I have watched the match back on tsn on i dont notice any drastic movement of the rock that would indicate a pick

03-03-13 11:24AM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

My Sunday morning Brier thoughts
http://hurryhardblog.blogspot.ca/20...r-thoughts.html