Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 10 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-06-17 07:28PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

okay, maybe not set in stone. but its a 99% likelihood. and its more than that. id like some sort of race to the end to decide the playoff teams. like the women.

it kind of bums me out knowing the final 4 teams with a full day of action to go. deciding playoff positions isnt as exciting as deciding who will be there

Set in stone now. Even is Sweden misses the house with both and loses to create a 3-way tie for 2nd place, the Swedes will still be in the 1v2 game. The three teams will be tied at 1-1 in head to head with Sweden having the best shootout.

Lots on the line for Scotland yet tonight though, with a realistic chance of them finishing outside the top 7 and having to play the Olympic Last Chance event:
http://www.curlingzone.com/showthre...7405#post167405

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-06-17 08:00PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Set in stone now. Even is Sweden misses the house with both and loses to create a 3-way tie for 2nd place, the Swedes will still be in the 1v2 game. The three teams will be tied at 1-1 in head to head with Sweden having the best shootout.

Lots on the line for Scotland yet tonight though, with a realistic chance of them finishing outside the top 7 and having to play the Olympic Last Chance event:
http://www.curlingzone.com/showthre...7405#post167405

wow.i had no idea scotland was in danger of missing the olympics directly

i knew canada, united states, japan and sweden were pretty much safe and korea was in as the host. leaves 3 spots. as of now norway and switzerland have basically gotten in right? by my calculation norway has 13 points at worst with a possible 8th place finish here as their lowest possible standing.

switzerland should also be in either way

that leaves just 1 spot for direct entry in. if scotland wins tonight that sees them surpass denmark in points right? but isnt it the case that even if they lost that might still be enough, depending on what happens with japan,china and norway in their last games? .

04-06-17 08:01PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Doubt they'll lose out but going into a "Last Chance" might be the best thing for the Scottish program. Hopefully they can find someone better than the chipper but stale Dave Murdoch. This was Tom Brewster's team - what happened was a travesty!

The 1-2 loser should have their work cut out for them as John Shuster seems to be picking up steam down the stretch. He's fully capable of putting a stink on Sweden or scaring the bejeebers out of Canada.

you are just putting the united states into the semi are you? not smart to write off the swiss

04-06-17 08:12PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by curlinglove
Wow, Team USA is playing like champs.
Ma

When they sweep before the T line? I think the World Curling organization should take a page from the Masters and allow email complaints, and assess the sweeper 4 points against for the infraction.

04-06-17 08:26PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

That LPGA call was worst decision ever made by any sports executive in history. No common sense or fair play considerations at all.

04-06-17 10:58PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie
Ma

When they sweep before the T line? I think the World Curling organization should take a page from the Masters and allow email complaints, and assess the sweeper 4 points against for the infraction.

Oh for God's sake, can't you just let it go?

The stones were out of the house, the shot made, they are two games ahead of the fifth place game.

These are nice guys who do great honor for the game. Did you see te hugs after the game again't Japan? Keyboard jockeys trying to cause problems, give it a rest.

04-06-17 11:17PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Re: USA/Netherlands

quote:
Originally posted by albetts
In the last end in the USA Ned game, I'm sure that Tyler George was sweeping the last Ned stone before it got to the T line. Has a rule changed that I'm not aware of???? I think The Netherlands should protest this game.

Yes, the U.S. team has a tendency toward very questionable behaviour at the World Championships lately.
Makes it very difficult to cheer for them.
Impossible, actually.

It's very, very difficult to believe it was an honest mistake to be sweeping the rock above the t-line, as, even at club level, you see players sweeping an opposition rock above the t-line maybe 2 times in an entire season - and they are usually first or second year players. At the elite level, mistakes like that just don't happen.

And to think that during last year's controversy, Tyler was seen as the honest one on the team.
The U.S. team is building a negative reputation for themselves - and it's very much deserved.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 04-06-17 at 11:19PM

04-06-17 11:19PM
yctomi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yctomi Click here to Send yctomi a Private Message Find more posts by yctomi Add yctomi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yctomi
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

i dont recall him playing on tour but he was on florian meister''s team at swiss nationals. was surprised myself when i went on the website and there he was in the lineup playing second.

Wow throwing 2nd stone? That's surprising. Anyway I think it's a safe bet to say that Sven michel will be stepped down and de cruz will represent Switzerland more often in the future.

04-07-17 04:15AM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: USA/Netherlands

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

Yes, the U.S. team has a tendency toward very questionable behaviour at the World Championships lately.
Impossible, actually.

It's very, very difficult to believe it was an honest mistake to be sweeping the rock above the t-line, as, even at club level, you see players sweeping an opposition rock above the t-line maybe 2 times in an entire season - and they are usually first or second year players. At the elite level, mistakes like that just don't happen.

And to think that during last year's controversy, Tyler was seen as the honest one on the team.
The U.S. team is building a negative reputation for themselves - and it's very much deserved.

I did not see the sweepgate incident, but this post does raise some very good points. Good Sportsmanship has been a hallmark of this game. Now for the second time the American team are under a cloud. yes everyone makes mistakes, and in curling they usually take ownership at the time, not in a tweet well after the game. Team Shuster has played well overall. They deserve recognition for doing so. Even if there were a rule that they would have to forfeit the game for unsportsmanship behaviour, they still are far enough ahead to be in the playoffs. Let's hope there are no further incidents and that the wins are well deserved. I suspect the linesmen and all officials will be watching them very carefully, as well as all the support people around the opposing team.

My money is on Gushue or Edin tho

04-07-17 08:03AM
gushuechamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gushuechamp Click here to Send gushuechamp a Private Message Find more posts by gushuechamp Add gushuechamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gushuechamp
Harvey Hacksmasher

Gushue is dominating the worlds just as I said he would do. Totally as expected. Too talented a team for the others and Brad is too determined to finally win his first worlds. Marck Nichols is too.

04-07-17 08:29AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Re this sweeping - firstly I would suggest that all of the offended players and their coaching/management group were there and saw everything and did not raise an issue and secondly, embodied in the self regulating of rules of infractions regarding the rocks is the consideration of "where would the rock have ended up if the infraction had not occurred?" And obviously everyone knew on the spot that the the outcome of the shot was not benefitting the offending team. All, except a few on this thread.

04-07-17 08:45AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

You can see the offending sweep at roughly 2h20 of the replay here: http://www.tsn.ca/curling/video/wor...s-italy~1090653 . It's pretty blatant, but while it's definitely poor form, I don't think it had any effect on the outcome.

As for why the dutch didn't say anything, it's possible that either they didn't notice or they didn't feel comfortable saying anything (this is a bigger stage than they've ever played on).

Last edited by nelsosi on 04-07-17 at 08:47AM

04-07-17 09:48AM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

too bad, Tyler is the only likeable guy on that team. You saw last year he knew Shuster was cheating and it bothered him and now he blatantly broke the rules. Oh well, just in their nature I guess.

04-07-17 10:26AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
too bad, Tyler is the only likeable guy on that team. You saw last year he knew Shuster was cheating and it bothered him and now he blatantly broke the rules. Oh well, just in their nature I guess.

remind me what happened last year?

04-07-17 10:38AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Re this sweeping - firstly I would suggest that all of the offended players and their coaching/management group were there and saw everything and did not raise an issue and secondly, embodied in the self regulating of rules of infractions regarding the rocks is the consideration of "where would the rock have ended up if the infraction had not occurred?" And obviously everyone knew on the spot that the the outcome of the shot was not benefitting the offending team. All, except a few on this thread.

It may have, if Shuster's double would have rolled further.
What was the purpose of sweeping??? Obviously to get the rock further from the button, therefore benefitting the American team.
Where would the rock have ended up? If it was an American rock, Shuster would have put it in the 4'. "I promise"

04-07-17 11:22AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Re: Re: USA/Netherlands

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

Impossible, actually.

I call BS on that. It can happen to more than just 2nd year curlers. One gets excited, and they start a bit early, people either catch it and stop and say "oh crap, sorry", and 99% of the time it would not have changed the outcome and stones aren't moved. You don't hear about it happening because it's not a big deal, people move on and forget about it.

And people sweeping early happens at the elite level.

04-07-17 11:24AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido

It may have, if Shuster's double would have rolled further.
What was the purpose of sweeping??? Obviously to get the rock further from the button, therefore benefitting the American team.
Where would the rock have ended up? If it was an American rock, Shuster would have put it in the 4'. "I promise"

And it should have been The Netherlands prerogative to say something, and move the stones to where they would have thought they would go. Since they did not choose this course of action, there's nothing that can be done.

04-07-17 11:32AM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Still doesn't negate that it did happen and Tyler George did not call his own foul as he should have. They have much more experience at the world level than the Dutch.no excuse really.

04-07-17 12:55PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

I've talked to Tyler and he didn't realize he did it until after the game when it was pointed out to him. He feels bad about it, and did make a heartfelt apology on twitter.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

04-07-17 03:41PM
Curlrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlrock Click here to Send Curlrock a Private Message Find more posts by Curlrock Add Curlrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

Gerry, please don't post things like that. It makes it difficult to say negative things about people we don't know.

Interesting how the United States was hardly mentioned in this thread for the fist 9 pages as being a contender. Now that they've won some games and made the playoffs they're, poor sports, cheaters, and probably not liked very much by other teams.

Amazing how a few wins can upset the natives.

04-07-17 04:33PM
AteEnder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AteEnder Find more posts by AteEnder Add AteEnder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AteEnder
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Curlrock
Gerry, please don't post things like that. It makes it difficult to say negative things about people we don't know.

Interesting how the United States was hardly mentioned in this thread for the fist 9 pages as being a contender. Now that they've won some games and made the playoffs they're, poor sports, cheaters, and probably not liked very much by other teams.

Amazing how a few wins can upset the natives.

Love this post. Funny indeed how the brave occupants of the Northern high road so quickly judge people they don't know from behind their bowl of cheetos on the couch using nom de plume user names. They forget how K-Mart made a career of brushing stones that were not yet put in motion, or sweeping at the t-line waiting for opponent's rocks that had barely entered the house or Ben Hebert's famous dumping the load finishing sweep stroke on hot rocks. Selective memory makes one think such infractions only take place on US teams and constantly... which then becomes the primary reason for the USA's success. Such hogwash.

As a Canadian living stateside, I am just very happy to once again see the success of North American curling on the world's stage and wish both Gushue and Shuster and their teams the best of luck and good curling. Hoping for a very entertaining series of games this weekend. Predictions.. CDA Gold, USA Silver, SWE Bronze.

You may now resume the vitriol.

04-07-17 06:13PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Personally, I hope the USA wins the whole shooting match.

Not that I'm unpatriotic, but the absolute best thing for the future of the game is for it to take off in the States. There's real money down there and its the only place where there's a realistic chance of a true professional tour ever developing.

04-07-17 06:57PM
Ajay
Drawmaster

Yes there's lots of money down there but very little earmarked for curling. I'm guessing , but given that curling is a winter based sport and only the northern states enjoy our winters, the per centage of total US population would be very small. 2-5 % perhaps? Plus curling has been around for a very long time without notable growth in the US.

04-07-17 07:38PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Yes there's lots of money down there but very little earmarked for curling. I'm guessing , but given that curling is a winter based sport and only the northern states enjoy our winters, the per centage of total US population would be very small. 2-5 % perhaps? Plus curling has been around for a very long time without notable growth in the US.

I believe 47 states have ice. It's taking off in the south as well. New clubs are forming every year on arena ice and converting to dedicated ice. New facilities of 5 or more sheets in the Twin Cities, Wausau, Milwaukee.

I'll take 3% of the population, that would quadruple our current base. A World championship game televised Sunday would be a big help.

The Canadians I play againt have almost the same story, clubs are closing, curlers aging, youth not coming on board. We won't catch Canada in numbers, but we are making up some of the difference.

04-07-17 08:35PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

honestly i have to disagree about america being the most important market. it would be ideal of the asian countries could rise up and become an actual power. the asian market is the biggest possible one and would help curling the most