Japan (EE)
Denmark 10  Final
Spain (8)
Estonia Final
Italy (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-06-13 05:49PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

So, I have to ask. What do you think is better, qualifying at a really good spiel (Abbottsford) in Canada or winning in St. Paul against an inferior field. What makes a better team? What is the better experience? I won't even ask which one gains more points since that is obvious to anyone that cares.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-07-13 03:27PM
Third Nerd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Third Nerd Click here to Send Third Nerd a Private Message Find more posts by Third Nerd Add Third Nerd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Third Nerd
Harvey Hacksmasher

Although any weekend that you cash a check is a good weekend, there are some results that are better than others.

Given the fact that Brady has just won his quaterfinal game and that George lost the final of St. Paul, I think that you have to give the edge to Clark. Going into St. Paul, Tyler and Co. were the highest ranked OOM team in the field. Anything less than a win is kind of disappointing.

But back to your original question about whether winning St. Paul is better than qualifying in Vernon, I think I still have to go with qualifying in Vernon.

TN

10-07-13 03:38PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I would say any time you qualify and go deep in an event your happy. however you might find that the teams would get more satisfaction from from doing well in an event with alot of top teams rather than an event with a relatively weaker field.

10-07-13 05:26PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Third Nerd
Going into St. Paul, Tyler and Co. were the highest ranked OOM team in the field. Anything less than a win is kind of disappointing.
TN

They did turn out to be the best of the "local" teams. So, they have a better handle on where they stand against the US.

JH
I am now a "Coastal" instead of an "Eastie"

10-09-13 04:04PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

After 8 weeks, decided to do a little mining to come up with the current OOM standings for the US teams. Remember, top 2 OOM teams go to the Nationals and top OOM team that finishes top 3 at Nationals goes to Worlds. Only best 5 events count at least for the World selection, no idea if that also applies to who gets into Nats.

Men
George 20.425 (2 events)
Clark 18.36 (3 events)
Shuster 11.425 (2 events)
Brown 5.075
Fenson 5
Stolt 3.875

Women
Pottinger 22.56 (4 events)
Brown 15.975 (2 events)
George 11.144 (4 events)
Christensen 5.25
Potter 3.675
A Anderson 2.625

If this info is somewhere on the USCA website, I could not find it. Also, if anyone knows the answer to how many events count for getting to Nationals, please post it.

Teams at the Oly trials will get 1 point for each win if they don't make the finals.

On the tour action side, men in action at StuSells Toronto P. Fenson, George, Leichter. At the Autumn Gold is E. Brown. Both really strong fields so lots of points available.

JH
yes, I really need to spend less time on this

10-09-13 05:32PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Really exciting weekend thanks, mostly, to Team Brady Clark. Not only did they qualify in Vernon out of a very good field, they then won a couple of playoff games (including the semifinal against Johnny Morris/Jim Cotter) to make the finals against Koe. Tied up after six ends in the finals, they couldn't force Koe to a point in the seventh nor steal one in the eighth.

Pottinger and Potter did well in Vernon as well. Allison and her team dropped quickly to the C event, but then strung together some very high caliber wins to qualify for the playoffs and cash a check. Potter started out with some early wins against top competition, but then slid to three losses and was short of the money.

The downside of Vernon was that the Women's side ended up being dominated by non-Canadian teams as we made up half of the qualifiers. China won it and the Swiss took second. It just goes to further prove how even and competitive the Women's field is worldwide...except for J. Jones and Homan.

St. Paul was interesting. On the Women's side, Alex Carlson reminded us that she is still a contender. The Tiny Terrorists did very well. I here that Tyler George was a little bit good and a whole lot of lucky, but I haven't spoken to anybody just yet.

The downside of the weekend has to be the continuing struggles of Heater McCormick and Courtney George. Court is coming up a game or two short of the money lately against fields that should have her cashing in. Heater has just been bad. I think both rinks are simply focused in on The Trials in Fargo and not excited to play in these events. I think both teams will pick it up a notch in the coming weeks and another notch when they get to The Trials.

One more bad weekend by Heater and The Duckling will have Willy The Wise moving his line over 10 to 1 for that team winning The Trials. That would be a mistake by Willy.

Ben Tucker
Swamped by harvest

10-10-13 10:53AM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
If this info is somewhere on the USCA website, I could not find it. Also, if anyone knows the answer to how many events count for getting to Nationals, please post it.

Shot Rock Curling Supplies keeps an updated US OOM listing (now Team USA Standings) on the home page. Top 5 events leading into Nationals count towards Team USA. So the total will be top 5 plus points from Nationals. The points for a direct berth to Nationals still cut off after Eveleth. I don't think their is a limit to events for earning pts to get the direct spot to Nationals. The USCA is waiting until after Trials to announce the 2 HP teams that will be given a direct berth to Nationals regardless of their points.

That means the team that just misses out on the direct berth by OOM points will be able to earn points at the Challenge Round. Last year I believe it was 7 pts to qualify A side.

10-10-13 04:59PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

I will most likely get in trouble for this but it would be nice if the USCA site kept track of the OOM points. It is an HP program and should be tracked on the USCA site.

Lots of curling left prior to the trials and Eveleth. Current top 3 on both sides have a pretty good lock on being the team selected to go to Worlds if they finish top 3 at Nats. All are Oly trial teams and will earn points there. Also Teams T. George and E. Brown are going to a slam with a bunch of points so that will help them as well.

A very early prediction for Philly, there will be only 3 or 4 teams that can be the World rep unless all the OOM points teams finish off the board.

JH
as always just my opinions and predictions for the future.
PPS hope I am wrong on the Philly concept but run the numbers and you will see

10-11-13 04:06PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

There is a story I want to hear. Team E. Brown tied up with hammer in the 8th (at Autumn Gold) and a blank. Then loses to a steal in 9.

Any insight?

JH
at least when I went 13 (true story) I didn't have the hammer

10-11-13 05:42PM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

My guess s that Horgan had a partially hidden shot near the button that Erika had to pick out and she didn't stick around after the hit.

10-11-13 08:20PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Just curious why is shawn rojeski no longer the one holding the broom for pete?

10-12-13 10:08PM
SmokeyJoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SmokeyJoe Find more posts by SmokeyJoe Add SmokeyJoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SmokeyJoe
Hitting Paint

Sweeping is a special skill, and my guess is that Rojeski is exceptional in that area. Skips will throw with more confidence when they know that their rock will be swept well.

It's not the first time that this team used this rotation. When they won the bronze medal in Turin. Shuster threw lead rocks, and held the broom when the skip threw.

10-12-13 11:51PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

I know it is still a bit early in the season but USA men curlers are not giving us much reason to be optimistic about Olympics, or maybe even making it to Olympics.

10-13-13 11:17AM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

The only bright spot I can think of on the men's side would be Brady Clark's 2nd place finish in last weeks Prestige Hotel event, worth $5,500, but the 1-3 result by Tyler George and 0-3 result by Pete Fenson in this week's Stu Sells Toronto event is not encouraging; the scores suggest the George rink was blown out in some of their losses.

Last edited by chapnlie on 10-13-13 at 11:22AM

10-13-13 04:18PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oh, I strongly disagree.

It is not like the rest of the World Men's is really lighting it up. Edin is doing well and Murdoch is doing OK, but the teams likely to be in Germany for the Qualifier (Germany, Swiss, France, Korea and others) are not winning anything important.

Brady's finish last weekend is a great sign. Tyler/Chris qualifying in The Shorty is pretty big and it came with a win over Epping. Fenson has lost more then they have won, but they did beat Murdoch from Scotland, the Japanese, one of the Appelmans and Kean. They have more quality wins this year then the French or the Finns or the Kiwis.

Heater and The Ducklings also have lost more then they have won. They also have wins over some good teams (Higgs, Johnston, Jordison etc), but I think their focus has already moved on to Fargo...and that is probably a good thing.

True, this is a really bad weekend for USA curling...particularly the Men...but remember to also consider the other nations vying for the spots in the Qualifier. They don't appear to be working as hard, traveling as much nor playing tough schedules except for the Japanese.

Ben Tucker
Needing Erika Brown-Tetley to come through the C and save the weekend

10-13-13 05:39PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Fortunately, the Olympic qualifier field will not be as strong as what our teams have run into in spiels so far. Olympics is a different story. No reason to think that USA men will even get a sniff of an Olympic medal.

10-14-13 12:41AM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

So if Rojeski's not holding the broom for Pete anymore (again), who is? Brunt?

10-14-13 03:09PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Not a good tour weekend at all. I think only 2 wins for 4 teams, one each for E. Brown and T. George. Tuck can give us the full rundown if he ever finishes the harvest, hope he gets it done before the snow flies.

Time to go look at the schedule for next weekend and see what is happening.

JH
a very successful spiel at the club this weekend, everyone thought the ice was good including me.

10-14-13 09:14PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I am quick to type up the good news after good weekends...so I guess I should type something after a bad weekend. Let me preface it by saying that, no matter how mean the remark, I know that these are good curlers on good teams who have done great things.

Team Tyler George wins their opener at the Stu Sells and then goes thump-thump-thump and out. Really bad linescores to boot. Lechter and Fenson, meanwhile, are seeing who can be the first team eliminated...Fenson is tied up in the last end and gives up a steal while Lechter shakes after seven ends...Lechter gets the title of First One Out.

Erika Brown-Tetley goes straight down to the C event, but then wins a game. Before we can all recall Pottinger's run through the C in a previous weekend, they drop the next game.

The Women's side is a bit disconcerting as international teams have invaded Canada with win after win after win. Every playoff field has an international flavor. Scotland over China in the Autumn Gold finals. Has the Canadian Women's scene come back to the field or has the field caught up with Canada? Canada has come back to the field. Long gone are the days when the top Canadian women could compete with the men...like Colleen Jones...or even beat the men regularly...like Sandra Schmiller.

Less disconcerting is the Men's field. Our Trials teams have some high caliber wins this year. Most of the international field does not.

Ben Tucker

10-15-13 10:01AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Thats a good point tuck, about the international womens teams. They have really been cleaning up this year with ott, wang and muirhead all claiming wins on canadian soil.

10-16-13 09:59AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Three Swiss Ladies teams have been cashing some checks...since they're Canadian checks, I suppose they are cheques. Japan has been getting some wins. China looks great. The Ladies side of the Olympic Qualifier in Germany should be much more interesting than the Mens side...except we will have a team on the Mens side. All interesting, but it distracts us from the main question: Has the World caught up or is the Canadian Womens field less strong? I maintain that the Canadians have fallen back. Look at recent Junior Worlds for further evidence.

Interesting weekend coming up. Face takes the boys to Portage for one of the best spiels of the year in, perhaps, the coolest curling club in the world. Lots of our gals will be in Winnipeg. Brady and the bunch will be in Kamloops. Heater and The Duckling try to get back on track in Stroud.

I'm thinking that Cassie should have curled off most of the rust and might shine in Winnipeg. Maybe Stolt or Carlson can cash up there as well.

I look for The Ducklings to answer their St. Paul disaster (too strong of a word?) with very good showing in Stroud. The Stroud field is actually pretty good, but you have to be an avid curling fan to know it. Not the really big names...but some really good teams. I don't think there is anything really wrong with Heater and The Ducklings this year...despite their lack of wins. I think their minds are already in Fargo. Losing, however, has a way of refocusing your mind. Look for a big bump here. Higgs coaches them up a little bit and he'll also be playing in Stroud. That will help get this train back on the right track. If that happens, this team could really catch a roll going into The Trials.

Ben Tucker

10-16-13 03:21PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Three Swiss Ladies teams have been cashing some checks...since they're Canadian checks, I suppose they are cheques. Japan has been getting some wins. China looks great. The Ladies side of the Olympic Qualifier in Germany should be much more interesting than the Mens side...except we will have a team on the Mens side. All interesting, but it distracts us from the main question: Has the World caught up or is the Canadian Womens field less strong? I maintain that the Canadians have fallen back. Look at recent Junior Worlds for further evidence.

Interesting weekend coming up. Face takes the boys to Portage for one of the best spiels of the year in, perhaps, the coolest curling club in the world. Lots of our gals will be in Winnipeg. Brady and the bunch will be in Kamloops. Heater and The Duckling try to get back on track in Stroud.

I'm thinking that Cassie should have curled off most of the rust and might shine in Winnipeg. Maybe Stolt or Carlson can cash up there as well.

I look for The Ducklings to answer their St. Paul disaster (too strong of a word?) with very good showing in Stroud. The Stroud field is actually pretty good, but you have to be an avid curling fan to know it. Not the really big names...but some really good teams. I don't think there is anything really wrong with Heater and The Ducklings this year...despite their lack of wins. I think their minds are already in Fargo. Losing, however, has a way of refocusing your mind. Look for a big bump here. Higgs coaches them up a little bit and he'll also be playing in Stroud. That will help get this train back on the right track. If that happens, this team could really catch a roll going into The Trials.

Ben Tucker

Its an interesting question you pose. When you look at the top teams of the past like schmirler, colleen jones, houston, lalibertie..i think most would agree these teams are stronger than the top teams we have now like jen jones, lawton and homan. Not only skill wise but mentally they were incredible.

look at the top international teams of modern times though and i think by and large with the exceptions of nordby, gustafsson and peak schopp the top intarnational teams are stronger than what canadians have faced in the past.

to answer your question in a simple way id say its a combination of both. canadian women have fallen back but at the same time internationals have gotten better.

its interesting because i actually think the reverse is happening with the men. The top international teams of the 90's like trulsen, kapp , lindholm, mcmillan, ransfjell..these teams are stronger than the top international teams coming up now. The canadian men i think have actually kept that same level they've always had.Thats not to say there arent great young international teams on the scene (decruz, eriksson, edin, stjerne, george) but i just dont think they are as good as what canadian men have faced before.

10-19-13 04:35PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Friday was looking like a great day for USA curling...BUT:

The gals were all winning in Winnipeg. Now on Saturday afternoon, Courtney George sits at 3-0 and has Willy The Wise looking for the "edit" button on the official Trials betting line.

Brady lost a close one to Mark Johnson...one of our favorites to cheer for...while young Birklid and younger Galey were also on the ice.

BEST OF ALL, Face and da boyz were winning in the very impressive Canad Inns Classic. As I type on Saturday afternoon, they lead Edin in an A Semi.

BUT:

Heater and The Ducklings dropped their first two games to teams that are not (yet) highly ranked. Gone from the A and bounced from the B...with very unimpressive linescores...that train was looking derailed and careening for the canyon. As I type, however, they have pulled it together for two wins and are getting out to the C Qualifier game. This team really needs a good showing.

Really great stuff this weekend. I wish harvest was done so I could drive up and watch some of it.

Ben Tucker

10-20-13 03:03AM
knit1curl2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for knit1curl2 Click here to Send knit1curl2 a Private Message Find more posts by knit1curl2 Add knit1curl2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knit1curl2
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yes, very impressive field at the Prairie Classic. Shuster will have to go thru either Howard or Stoughton to get to the playoffs.

Just found this touching tribute to Dave Elias. Well done Canad Inns Prairie Classic.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/10/...ne-web-headline[/URL]

10-20-13 08:59AM
Willy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Willy Click here to Send Willy a Private Message Find more posts by Willy Add Willy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Willy
Drawmaster

Prayers

Great post didn't know him but now I do.. Thank You!