Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > (Lack of) Attendance at Mixed Doubles World Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-28-18 04:07AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

(Lack of) Attendance at Mixed Doubles World Championship

World Championships?
Seriously?

This gives new meaning to the term "The seats are empty".
Have you seen the attendance at this thing? It makes the sparsely populated Grand Slams appear overflowingly full by comparison.
You can very easily count the number of people in attendance at the Mixed Doubles World Championships. And it often appears to be about 10 people - give or take 3.

Mixed Doubles is said to be more popular overseas than it is in Canada. I guess that doesn't include Sweden - because the attendance - actually, the almost complete LACK of attendance - is outright embarrassing.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-28-18 11:05AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

While it may be fun to play ( as I've heard from others) it is incredibly boring to watch. I have trouble watching the three minute highlights without dozing off.

It doesn't surprise me at all that no one attended in Sweden or anywhere else in the world.

04-28-18 11:07AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Watching gold metal game and cannot believe that there has been zero reference or acknowledgement of the bronze metal game on the next sheet. Can see score on occasion. That is the worst commenting omission I’ve ever seen in curling tv.

04-28-18 11:38AM
NewCurlingDad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NewCurlingDad Find more posts by NewCurlingDad Add NewCurlingDad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NewCurlingDad
Knee-Slider

Attendance at Worlds Mixed Doubles

by the television coverage, it looks like the curlers might be playing in front of friends and family only. I wonder how much money was put into promotional ads in Sweden for this event.

04-28-18 11:40AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Yay Canada for winning bronze...even though none of that game was shown. And double yay for Canada winning both senior men’s & women’s world titles...not that those games were televised.

Last edited by curlerbroad on 04-28-18 at 11:45AM

04-28-18 03:56PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

first: conrats to sven and michele on the gold. switzerland's 7th in 11 years. incredible dominance from switzerland.

congrats to the young russian team on a very unexpected silver. i sincerely hope they are clean..we've already seen one russian team get their medal taken away from the olympics this year.

congrats to laura and kirk on bronze. getting canada's 3rd medal here is a job well done

on topic, yeah the attendance has been depressing. lots of talk about how much traction mixed doubles is gaining but it's not been reflected in audience numbers. Hopefully it will start to soon. i mean..i know curling doesn't usually attract huge crowds but, come on, this was just sad.

TSN or someone in canada could have made a better effort to get this on actual TV as well. very disappointing that tsn decided to only broadcast the final and semi final. and im not even sure canada's bronze game was broadcast. i know they had planned to air the gold medal final but it might have bit them when canada didn't get there. i guess thats what happens when you assume canada will be in the final

05-04-18 07:43AM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

Maybe they need to let Japan have a crack at hosting this event? This year's Japan Mixed Doubles Championships were sold out for all five days of the competition...albeit with only about 300 seats available, and three of the women's team Olympic bronze medalists also competing.

Alas, it looks like Norway gets the event next year, and the current curling fever in Japan will likely break by the time 2020 rolls around.

05-06-18 06:21AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Mixed doubles is still pretty much a circus act - and, as such, I don't see it drawing more than 'friends and relatives' in any country that has a tradition/history in curling - including Canada.

Mixed doubles is like fast food, whereas traditional 4 on 4 curling is like a 4 course meal. It's really style vs. substance.

I think those promoting mixed doubles are hoping that the current 4 second average attention span of people (owing to technology) helps to attract them toward the rapidity of mixed doubles, as opposed to the slower, more strategic, more contemplative regular 4 on 4 curling.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

05-07-18 02:33PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I'd be curious as to how many tickets were sold...since...frankly, that's the metric that the WCF cares about.

(As evidenced by the "Record Breaking" attendance claimed for the recent Men's Worlds in Las Vegas, which pretty obviously counted tickets sold over bodies in seats)