Australia (7)
Scotland Final
China (7)
United States 10  Final
Netherlands (6)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-31-17 01:04PM
tmuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tmuller Click here to Send tmuller a Private Message Find more posts by tmuller Add tmuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tmuller
Knee-Slider

FGZ Question

A free guard zone situation came up in league play (USA). The yellow team threw a high center guard. Red team tried to draw around but came up short of the rings (still FGZ). Yellow attempted to come around the other side. The delivered yellow stone hit the yellow guard, pushed it into the red guard and removed the red stone from play (hit the board). The red team claimed this was a FGZ violation and the displaced stones be returned to play. The yellow team contended that the delivered stone did not make contact with the red stone, so it was a valid play.

USA FGZ Rule R6. b) If, prior to the delivery of the fifth stone of an end, a delivered stone causes, either directly or indirectly, an opposition stone to be moved from the FGZ to an out-of-play position, then the delivered stone is removed from play, and any displaced stones are replaced, by the non-offending team, to their positions prior to the violation taking place.

My thought is that no matter how you define 'direct' or 'indirect', there is no situation where you can remove an opponents' FGZ guard out of play before the fifth stone.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-31-17 01:09PM
BobbyS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BobbyS Click here to Send BobbyS a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyS Add BobbyS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BobbyS
Harvey Hacksmasher

All of the stones would go back, and the shooter would be removed. The red guard cannot be removed from play!

01-31-17 01:12PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Put it back, by definition the FGZ rock cannot be removed by the opposition no matter which teams stone is raised to remove it.

01-31-17 01:53PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

The others are 100% correct on this. But since you asked this question, I am guessing that you or the people playing are new-ish to curling to FGZ stuff has not come up that much. So a couple of other random FGZ stuff rarities that might come up, just to make sure you know the rule application.

In your scenario, the Red team skip could have swept their red rock after it was bumped to help it get out of play. This is a completely legal and logical strategy that your teams skip should no about.

And one other random one. Let say Yellow's first rock is a very long guard, maybe 1mm over the hogline so it stays and has FGZ protection. Red's first rock tries to draw around the long yellow center guard, but is thrown way too light, and actually freezes to that yellow stone, making the red rock not cross the hog line. Well, the red rock is not removed from play, it stays in play because it touched a rock that was considered in play (the first yellow one). Also, that red rock short of the hog line gets FGZ protection. And to go even further and say Yellow ROck #2 tries to draw around both long guards but again is light and freezes to the red rock #1. well short of the hog line. Yellow #2 stays in play, and gets FGZ protection

01-31-17 02:04PM
jzwanzig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jzwanzig Click here to Send jzwanzig a Private Message Find more posts by jzwanzig Add jzwanzig to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jzwanzig
Harvey Hacksmasher

The other somewhat unusual situation (but still does occur from time to time) is that it is legal to remove your own stone during the free guard zone period. Thus for example, yellow lead tries to draw in, comes up light, skip wants no guards, so yellow peals their own stone out on the second shot.

Oh, also note that while opposition stones cannot be removed from play during FGZ but they can be moved (into the house, elsewhere in FGZ, anywhere where they're still in play).

01-31-17 05:00PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jzwanzig
Oh, also note that while opposition stones cannot be removed from play during FGZ but they can be moved (into the house, elsewhere in FGZ, anywhere where they're still in play).

Great point. So Yellow 1 is a center guard with FGZ protection. Red 1 bumps Yellow 1 into the house, and Yellow 1 loses its FGZ protection. Yellow 2 does, something, doesn't matter for this point. Red 2 can now take out Yellow 1 since it lost its FGZ protection once it got bumped into the house.

01-31-17 05:47PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

What if the first stone of the end is an accidental guard, the opposition removes it accidentally. Does it have to go back, or can the non offending team leave as is?

01-31-17 06:55PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
What if the first stone of the end is an accidental guard, the opposition removes it accidentally. Does it have to go back, or can the non offending team leave as is?

Intent doesn't matter, and you can always choose to let a shot stand as the non offending team.

01-31-17 07:04PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Intent doesn't matter, and you can always choose to let a shot stand as the non offending team.

Exactly. The question was more directed at the op. He stated there was no situation where you could remove the opposition stone until the 5th rock.

01-31-17 09:55PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:

This is not correct.

The delivered stone is removed from play and any other stone that was moved is put back to where it was. No discretion.

01-31-17 10:39PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

... And if Yellow throws a high guard, red follows with a guard 3 feet in front of the House, then yellow hits their own high guard (yellow), which then hits the red guard, taking them BOTH out of play - so that the only rock remaining is the yellow shooter (in the free guard zone).
In that scenario, we've established that the red guard goes back to where it was (a few feet in front of the House), and the shooter (yellow) is removed... but does the high yellow guard also go back? In this case, the high yellow guard was taken out by a yellow stone, which is legal... but it also removed a red stone...

So what's the call in this scenario? Does the original high yellow guard go back, as well, even though it was removed by a yellow rock?

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

01-31-17 10:44PM
BobbyS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BobbyS Click here to Send BobbyS a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyS Add BobbyS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BobbyS
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yes, all of those rocks return. If a FGZ stone is illegally removed, all stones are returned to their original position.

02-01-17 02:25AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by ngm

This is not correct.

The delivered stone is removed from play and any other stone that was moved is put back to where it was. No discretion.

Ok, nice to know, I suspect the wording of the rule was changed at some point concerning discretion, guess it's never come up in my games.

02-01-17 10:03AM
Oly M. Pics is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oly M. Pics Click here to Send Oly M. Pics a Private Message Find more posts by Oly M. Pics Add Oly M. Pics to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oly M. Pics
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by ngm

This is not correct.

I believe you are mistaken. Non-offending team has the option.

02-01-17 10:06AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Oly M. Pics

I believe you are mistaken. Non-offending team has the option.

Oly, you are correct.

"Violations of the Free Guard Zone Rule and Remedies

If a rock in the free guard zone is removed from play by the opposing team prior to the delivery of the fifth rock of the end, the non-offending team may either:
allow the play to stand, or
remove the rock just delivered from play and replace the displaced stationary rocks in their original positions.

If the delivered fourth rock of an end initially hits a rock not in the free guard zone and, as a result, a rock of the opposing team in the free guard zone is removed from play, the non-offending team may:
allow the play to stand, or
remove the rock just delivered from play and replace the rock removed from the free guard zone in its original position. The rock that was initially hit remains where it finally came to rest.

For an animated illustration of the Free Guard Zone rule, see the Curling Basics website.

02-01-17 10:22AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

It appears guido pulled his reference from http://glennpaulley.ca/curling/2011...ard-zone-rule/, which isn't current.

From Curling Canada, http://www.curling.ca/about-the-spo...-general-play/, Rule 12(2):

Any stationary stone(s) belonging to the opposition located in the FGZ shall not be removed from play by the delivering team prior to the delivery of the 5th stone of the end. When an oppositions stone(s) that is removed from play from the FGZ prior to the 5th stone of the end, directly or indirectly, without exception, the delivered stone must be removed from play and any other displaced stones replaced as close as possible to its original position. Any stone previously in the FGZ, but now located in the rings, biting the tee-_line, or behind the tee-line, may be removed at any time without penalty.

From World Curling Federation, http://www.worldcurling.org/rules-a...ions-downloads, R6(b):

If, prior to the delivery of the fifth stone of an end, a delivered stone causes, either directly or indirectly, an opposition stone to be moved from the FGZ to an out-of-play position, then the delivered stone is removed from play, and any displaced stones are replaced, by the non-offending team, to their positions prior to the violation taking place.

02-01-17 10:26AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

The curling Canada rules state that the rocks be replaced. No option. So I may have been mistaken. It happened once before I think.

02-01-17 12:09PM
Marc Bernard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marc Bernard Visit Marc Bernard's homepage! Find more posts by Marc Bernard Add Marc Bernard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marc Bernard
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by jzwanzig
The other somewhat unusual situation (but still does occur from time to time) is that it is legal to remove your own stone during the free guard zone period. Thus for example, yellow lead tries to draw in, comes up light, skip wants no guards, so yellow peals their own stone out on the second shot.

The "peel of shame". Good reason for leads to practice peels once in a while.

02-01-17 12:56PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
The curling Canada rules state that the rocks be replaced. No option. So I may have been mistaken. It happened once before I think.

I'm pretty certain the rules changed over time and it's apparent that rule changes aren't well communicated to members. I remember I learned about the new burnt rock rules at some point through word of mouth not from any official communication.

On another rules front, I hope 5 rock rule get's implemented across the board. Now comes my rant ( stop reading if you don't want to see a major complaint ) :

I hope that these silly yellow WCF brooms get a complete rethink again. They basically just found the worst performing fabric they could find and everyone's trying to sell this "solution". People seem afraid to voice a dissenting opinion; I hate to be negative on this but someone has to say something.

Surely there is a broom material that is less aggressive then before, but far more durable then the yellow WCF crap and doesn't kill sweeping effectiveness for club players. And could we not kill the anti-Hardline biases because the studies didn't find the inserts were the main culprit afaik. Basically every organizer in amateur events is creating their own adhoc rules on what's legal and fair, but some of it is just guessing. And most club curlers don't want to use the yellow heads at all, they only buy them and use them if they are required to. And sometimes that means not going in the events and avoiding this altogether.

$34 at Goldline to buy a WCF head, Balance Plus makes one that I hear seems cheap and spongy. Crazy expensive for really bad material. They should be $10 each in packs of 5 or 10.

I guess what I am saying is the CCA/WCF botched this whole process, and it may be negatively impacting the local events like TCA and OCA zones ( "regionals" ) that are suffering significantly declining numbers this season. It's a farce pulling out 3 or 4 different materials and asking organizers what they will allow. TCA changed the communicated rules the week of the event. 90% of the teams chose not to use the WCF heads.

I understand something had to be done for the pros, and they had limited time, I just hope they realize another adjustment has to be considered and the current yellow brooms are not a good long term solution. And if they try to force all of us decent but clearly amateur players to use these brooms, there will be some backlash at the grassroots.

Sorry to get wordy but I'm tired of the broom nonsense. Maybe I'm the minority, but I suspect not. I'm no expert on sweeping and organizers are trying their best to accommodate club curlers. But ...

Last edited by Nine Ender on 02-01-17 at 01:34PM

02-01-17 05:51PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

quote:

I hope that these silly yellow WCF brooms get a complete rethink again. They basically just found the worst performing fabric they could find and everyone's trying to sell this "solution". People seem afraid to voice a dissenting opinion; I hate to be negative on this but someone has to say something.

Surely there is a broom material that is less aggressive then before, but far more durable then the yellow WCF crap and doesn't kill sweeping effectiveness for club players. And could we not kill the anti-Hardline biases because the studies didn't find the inserts were the main culprit afaik. Basically every organizer in amateur events is creating their own adhoc rules on what's legal and fair, but some of it is just guessing. And most club curlers don't want to use the yellow heads at all, they only buy them and use them if they are required to. And sometimes that means not going in the events and avoiding this altogether.

$34 at Goldline to buy a WCF head, Balance Plus makes one that I hear seems cheap and spongy. Crazy expensive for really bad material. They should be $10 each in packs of 5 or 10.

I guess what I am saying is the CCA/WCF botched this whole process, and it may be negatively impacting the local events like TCA and OCA zones ( "regionals" ) that are suffering significantly declining numbers this season. It's a farce pulling out 3 or 4 different materials and asking organizers what they will allow. TCA changed the communicated rules the week of the event. 90% of the teams chose not to use the WCF heads.

I understand something had to be done for the pros, and they had limited time, I just hope they realize another adjustment has to be considered and the current yellow brooms are not a good long term solution. And if they try to force all of us decent but clearly amateur players to use these brooms, there will be some backlash at the grassroots.

Sorry to get wordy but I'm tired of the broom nonsense. Maybe I'm the minority, but I suspect not. I'm no expert on sweeping and organizers are trying their best to accommodate club curlers. But ...

Probably not the right place for this discussion.

But... you're probably not going to get any changes on the broom head fabric issue for now. As much as I hate to admit it.

The reality is that most of the top flight of curlers are ok with the current state of affairs. And that's what drives decisions on equipment right now, whether we like it or not. And, it all fairness, it puts everyone on the same playing field when it comes to equipment and makes the physical ability to sweep and throw clean much more important.

Sweeping is still effective for weight with the new brooms (you can still drag a rock), it just isn't going to let you hold line like previous fabrics/broom designs.

The issue I do have is durability and cost of the new broom heads, but considering the cost of entering a playdown... well, it's not the main cost I would look at in my budget.

(Broom heads go for about $30 for both the Goldline and EQ ones in the west... and yeah, I'd probably take the Goldline one over the EQ one. It's a bit firmer under the fabric and I think that might actually be more effective. Or go with the Hardline version which is cheaper (about $20-$25) and feels about as firm on the Hardline broom as the Goldline one does.)

Numbers are declining in playdowns everywhere. The new broom heads may play a very small part, but I doubt it. Those numbers have been plummeting long before the switch to the new broom heads. The game is a semi-pro to professional sport now, and a lot of the "amateurs" couldn't be bothered to try to compete at a disadvantage. You can't pin the decrease of numbers on the equipment change... if anything, the inclusion in the Olympics is probably a much more likely culprit that lead to the current status of playdowns.

02-01-17 09:09PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
I'm pretty certain the rules changed over time and it's apparent that rule changes aren't well communicated to members.

Curling Canada has had the rules online for years. The current version are the 2014-2018 rules. Alterations from the previous version are in yellow highlights.

The rules are in plain language.

In addition, many of the clubs I visit have a huge poster with the entirety of the rules for anyone to look at. If your club doesn't, it might be a good idea to get one. Sometimes something strange comes up and it can help to have a place to go and look.

This particular aspect of the rule hasn't changed in at least 9 years. (A bit of Google-fu lets one find the 2008-2010 rules .)

04-12-23 05:32AM
drewbinsky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drewbinsky Find more posts by drewbinsky Add drewbinsky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drewbinsky
Knee-Slider

Despite the fact that Canada is still a dominant power in the world of curling eggy car, it must continue to improve its tactics and training regimens in order to keep up with rival nations.

08-30-23 09:45PM
herrylauu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for herrylauu Find more posts by herrylauu Add herrylauu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
herrylauu
Knee-Slider

very good and meaningful article, i have learned a few more things. Also, if you have time, please stop by stumble guys and stumble guys online for relaxing moments