Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-24-16 09:23PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Re Earle - I recall it was probably the last game that he coached her when she was doing well and called a time out which brings out the coach. As he made his way out, she said to her team, "I really don't need him, I just want to tell him what I'm going to do". Have not been a fan of hers ever since. I felt embarrassed for Earle who is such a gentleman who has given much to curling.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-24-16 09:33PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

It was with some trepidation that I visited curlingzone after a successful female team lost a game they were favoured to win.

I never imagined it would descend to this level of disgrace. Just horrible.

01-24-16 10:02PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by ngm
It was with some trepidation that I visited curlingzone after a successful female team lost a game they were favoured to win.

Why did you bold type the word female?

01-24-16 10:04PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by ngm

I have to agree. It's fine not to like a team, but I've always found gloating after a team's loss to be rather pathetic.

01-24-16 10:20PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

Why did you bold type the word female?

Successful women get far more criticism than successful men, especially for stuff like demeanor. It happened with Jennifer Jones, it even happened with Colleen Jones and yes it happens with Homan too.

01-24-16 10:20PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Arrow Re: A new era.

quote:
Originally posted by friendlycanuck
Let’s call a spade a spade... blah, blah, blah

I'm still waiting for the part about the "new era"

01-24-16 10:32PM
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by peteski
Successful women get far more criticism than successful men, especially for stuff like demeanor. It happened with Jennifer Jones, it even happened with Colleen Jones and yes it happens with Homan too.

You're stating opinion as fact.

01-24-16 10:36PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

You're stating opinion as fact.

Do I have to say "in my opinion" before I state an opinion?

I'm quite certain the facts bear out my opinion, but feel free to dispute it.

01-24-16 10:50PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

The venom spewed in the original post easily betrays that the original poster was simply waiting - perhaps for years - to write it, and so in his/her own mind claim a twisted sort of 'victory'.

It's ironic (and hopelessly transparent) that the original poster accuses others of pro-Homan bias when he/she displays a decided, pent-up (perhaps for years) very, very anti-Homan bias - and even an irrational anti-Homan rage.

As for the 'new era' claim... Yes, obviously this is the end of the Homan team as we knew it. Never again will they win anything beyond a tiny club championship. They have, alas, been revealed for the very weak team that they are, having been merely lucky to have won so much over the past 10 years or so, going back to their time in Juniors.
Indeed this is a 'new era' - one where the Hanna team will carry the Ontario torch for the next decade - at least -, and where the Homan rink will never again represent Ontario or Canada at any level of competition.
Such is how the original poster's dream script goes, in any case.

In reality, the Homan team lost today because they played poorly and their opposition played better and deserved to win. To see any more than that into it is to have a personal agenda.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 01-24-16 at 10:54PM

01-25-16 04:05AM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
The venom spewed in the original post easily betrays that the original poster was simply waiting - perhaps for years - to write it, and so in his/her own mind claim a twisted sort of 'victory'.

It's ironic (and hopelessly transparent) that the original poster accuses others of pro-Homan bias when he/she displays a decided, pent-up (perhaps for years) very, very anti-Homan bias - and even an irrational anti-Homan rage.

As for the 'new era' claim... Yes, obviously this is the end of the Homan team as we knew it. Never again will they win anything beyond a tiny club championship. They have, alas, been revealed for the very weak team that they are, having been merely lucky to have won so much over the past 10 years or so, going back to their time in Juniors.
Indeed this is a 'new era' - one where the Hanna team will carry the Ontario torch for the next decade - at least -, and where the Homan rink will never again represent Ontario or Canada at any level of competition.

In reality, the Homan team lost today because they played poorly and their opposition played better and deserved to win. To see any more than that into it is to have a personal agenda.

Well said!

01-25-16 05:17AM
gavinboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gavinboy Click here to Send gavinboy a Private Message Find more posts by gavinboy Add gavinboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gavinboy
Harvey Hacksmasher

I don't know how I feel about this post, let me start out by saying I am one of Team Homan's biggest fans, but I have to agree to the fact that they come off as really standoffish girls. I don't think they mean to come across the way they do but they just do. I feel like when they lost Alison, they really lost the heart and soul of their team, as Ali was the one people loved because of her sweetness and likability. They picked up Courtney who is pretty much a robot in my opinion and lost a bunch of fans and team chemistry. Their team used to seem like four good girls who genuinely loved each other and curled awesome, now it seems they are more business like and no one likes to see that. I felt really torn watching the final today because I always cheer for Homan but I can honestly say I was genuinely happy that Hanna won. I'm fully onboard with this team becoming a legit dynasty, I just wish they would give a little more back to their fans and show a little more appreciation for the legacy of Canadian Curling.
That being said....Best of luck Team Hanna at the Scott, and best of luck to Team Homan the rest of the season.

01-25-16 07:07AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

Yes, I remember all the posts that seemed to go on endlessly when Jones replaced Cathy O. She was attacked for the unfairness of this move. Her front end was attacked because they said they wouldn't play on the same team as Cathy O. I seem to remember someone posting that if Cathy O. wasn't replaced then they'd walk. Yes, I do remember reading all that. As far as Colleen Jones goes I just remember commenters posting that they hated the fact that she chewed gum so carelessly. So now Rachael, its your turn. Grin and bear it. This too shall pass.

01-25-16 07:12AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Thank you. Very well said.

01-25-16 08:06AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

A male team was subject to some vitriol last year - Team Kean from the behavior of some of the team members towards the skip to the time his team left him after the Brier...I think Homan's loss was a shock to most. I will agree with the poster who noted that when Ali K left the team, some spark went out. They'll rebound and learn from this...IMO I think the heavy schedule before the Provincials (skins, Continental Cup) may have played a factor.

01-25-16 08:13AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

well said, "on the nose" - Team Homan is indeed a paradox. The @friendly points add up harshly. The team seems well liked and respected among the other athletes. She got funding for many years and that always helps. Among the men, I find Simmons similarly standoffish in his demeanour and so have trouble cheering his team on as well. I think we expect a different charisma from champion curlers. Our expectations are, however, irrelevant. I hope team Hanna has a good event so those who dismiss their wins as two losses by stronger teams, are proved incorrect. I get a charge from the posters that remind us of teams like Thompson, Hanna, Fletschler and others who work full time, curl without funding, and still hit the provincial (or world) podium.

01-25-16 11:46AM
NLcurlingguy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NLcurlingguy Click here to Send NLcurlingguy a Private Message Find more posts by NLcurlingguy Add NLcurlingguy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

To the "Friendly Canuck" who started this thread. You are not a Homan fan and that's fine. It certainly would not be expected that everyone would be. However, the vitriol that you spewed out there was certainly not necessary. I hope those young girls don't read these forums because posts like that are ignorant and hurtful at best. (Certainly not very friendly). And the people who replied that it was a good post....really?! Shame on you.

Team Homan lost that game because they did not play well. Simple as that. But to jump on curling zone and say such negative things about them (mostly Homan) is unfair. She might have lost this game, but she won lots of others and over the time this team provided loads of entertaining shots and memorable curling moments. And strictly from a curling viewer perspective, that is what I look for....I don't know about the rest of you.

These forums should be fun and informative about all things curling. I do not think they should should be about people oozing negativity and posting things that do nothing more than denigrate others. Not cool!!

ALL these curlers that play competitive curling do so for the love of competition and to further themselves in the game. We, as viewers, are fortunate to be able to live in a country that has the most televised curling and some of the best curlers in the world. Yet, we criticize the players, the commentator and the network providers as well. I think we have alot to be thankful for....why spend time knocking it??? Instead, embrace it and bask in the pure entertainment value that it provides.

01-25-16 12:38PM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

I don't think anyone cheapens the accomplishments--and they're many--of Team Homan. And although the poster may have been a tad unfair in citing the few shots Rachel missed or facing a less than stacked field (i mean, you can only beat who they put in front of you)---I think his criticism of her on-ice demeanor and lack of sportsmanship is fair. I know I lost a lot of respect for them in how they handled the Fleury incident. Telling an opponent 'you can take two if you want' is beyond condescending. You think Fleury doesn't know the rules Emma? And the optics of stealing a player from Val doesn't exactly endear them to me as well. Could they not find another player in Ontario, an up and coming junior star? Lastly, if you can't show some contrition and respect for Earle Morris and Richard Hart---both there to help you realise your dreams of winning championships---then something didn't get instilled along the way.

01-25-16 12:41PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

and today, after " The Loss" we all got out of bed and went about our normal lives, the earth didn't stop turning, the sun still rose and the only thing that happened was one team lost to another in a sporting event...

01-25-16 12:49PM
jcullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jcullen Click here to Send jcullen a Private Message Find more posts by jcullen Add jcullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcullen
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
well said, "on the nose" - Team Homan is indeed a paradox. The @friendly points add up harshly. The team seems well liked and respected among the other athletes. She got funding for many years and that always helps. Among the men, I find Simmons similarly standoffish in his demeanour and so have trouble cheering his team on as well. I think we expect a different charisma from champion curlers. Our expectations are, however, irrelevant. I hope team Hanna has a good event so those who dismiss their wins as two losses by stronger teams, are proved incorrect. I get a charge from the posters that remind us of teams like Thompson, Hanna, Fletschler and others who work full time, curl without funding, and still hit the provincial (or world) podium.

Simmons seems fairly standoffish? What?

Pat is well-known as being one of the classiest gentlemen there is, I've always enjoyed playing against him, as has everyone else.

01-25-16 12:56PM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

quote:

Thank you.

01-25-16 12:56PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by bennybeam
I don't think anyone cheapens the accomplishments--and they're many--of Team Homan. And although the poster may have been a tad unfair in citing the few shots Rachel missed or facing a less than stacked field (i mean, you can only beat who they put in front of you)---I think his criticism of her on-ice demeanor and lack of sportsmanship is fair. I know I lost a lot of respect for them in how they handled the Fleury incident. Telling an opponent 'you can take two if you want' is beyond condescending. You think Fleury doesn't know the rules Emma? And the optics of stealing a player from Val doesn't exactly endear them to me as well. Could they not find another player in Ontario, an up and coming junior star? Lastly, if you can't show some contrition and respect for Earle Morris and Richard Hart---both there to help you realise your dreams of winning championships---then something didn't get instilled along the way.

So how do we know that Rachel does not respect Richard Hart?The only way I would be believe that she does not would be if I asked Richard Hart in person if that was the case and if he said it was so. I'm certainly not going to go by any poster on curling zone or believe all of the "he said she said" stuff that gets posted by anyone ready to jump on any team they don't like. Oh and for whomever said on one of these threads that Simmons is too "stern looking" of something like that. Really?? I've curled against him years ago before he went on to bigger and better things and my opinion is that he is a solid guy. You just can't totally judge a person's character by on ice demeanor and performance.

01-25-16 01:02PM
NLcurlingguy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NLcurlingguy Click here to Send NLcurlingguy a Private Message Find more posts by NLcurlingguy Add NLcurlingguy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

RE: Pat Simmons

I have attended many Briers and on more than 1 occasion, I have sat down and shot the breeze with Pat. Pat Simmons is an excellent curler and an even better person. Very friendly and extremely sincere. Very stand up guy.

01-25-16 01:05PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by jcullen

That's the whole problem...everybody forms their own opinion as to who is "nice guy/gal" and who is "mean guy/gal". In reality if you don't personally know the person and spend at least some time with them any judgements made are through a collection of small snapshots over time(at best) which may or may not be representative of a person's overall character. Opinions are like ***holes, everybody's got one.

Thread's like this never end well...

Might as well start another thread about which religion is the "correct" one lol

01-25-16 01:22PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by jcullen

Pat is well-known as being one of the classiest gentlemen there is, I've always enjoyed playing against him, as has everyone else.

Pat is also the guy who left a game to tend to his opponent's injury. Glenn Howard threw his back out while playing Pat a few years ago, and Pat being a chiropractor, didn't think twice about letting the game go on, so that he could help Glenn.

01-25-16 02:14PM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by prairie guy

So how do we know that Rachel does not respect Richard Hart?The only way I would be believe that she does not would be if I asked Richard Hart in person if that was the case and if he said it was so. I'm certainly not going to go by any poster on curling zone or believe all of the "he said she said" stuff that gets posted by anyone ready to jump on any team they don't like. Oh and for whomever said on one of these threads that Simmons is too "stern looking" of something like that. Really?? I've curled against him years ago before he went on to bigger and better things and my opinion is that he is a solid guy. You just can't totally judge a person's character by on ice demeanor and performance.

If I call a timeout on a national televised game and my coach comes out, I may want to look at him and listen to what he has to say.