Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-10-15 05:58PM
Not Happy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Not Happy Click here to Send Not Happy a Private Message Find more posts by Not Happy Add Not Happy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Not Happy
Harvey Hacksmasher

It's funny someone would talk about MA's ours for one when approached about why they voted for this we were told they were given two options relegation or 1 team out of the Atlantic canada and one out of the north so I would call that the CCA staff being bullies not sure if that is true or not but that is what we were told. More than 5000 signatures were receive did not even get considered the more that we dig into this we find more and more MA's did not even consult their membership it was bad enough that the teams were put in relegation but to decide if you go on or not go on with draws to the button was just so outrages just proves the people in charge cannot be trusted with the future of this great event. Even several sponsors are reaching out we are hearing.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-10-15 06:01PM
Not Happy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Not Happy Click here to Send Not Happy a Private Message Find more posts by Not Happy Add Not Happy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Not Happy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Mr Guido how old are you 10 I can see that you know nothing about the history of the brier with comments like that.

Last edited by Not Happy on 03-10-15 at 06:20PM

03-10-15 06:45PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Not Happy
Mr Guido how old are you 10 I can see that you know nothing about the history of the brier with comments like that.

Tell me a year that all provinces and territories were represented?
Oh, and by the way, Ontario has ALWAYS had 2 reps from their province.
Just a little history lesson for you.

Last edited by guido on 03-10-15 at 06:51PM

03-10-15 07:35PM
Not Happy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Wrong again did not play in the event I am just a concerned fan that has put more than 40 years into this at board level coaching playing volunteering you name it I did. I also was on host committees for two briers and too many cash spells to count. I am not the only one that has these same concerns the silent majority they have awoke so stay tuned. We may not get this changed but we sure have the right to try. I have yet hear one of any of the high profile media people support this. There is also quite a few high profile players that if it were not for the gag order from the master himself would be speaking out

Last edited by Not Happy on 03-10-15 at 07:39PM

03-10-15 07:50PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:
Wrong again did not play in the event I am just a concerned fan that has put more than 40 years into this at board level coaching playing volunteering you name it I did. I also was on host committees for two briers and too many cash spells to count. I am not the only one that has these same concerns the silent majority they have awoke so stay tuned. We may not get this changed but we sure have the right to try. I have yet hear one of any of the high profile media people support this. There is also quite a few high profile players that if it were not for the gag order from the master himself would be speaking out

Personally, I think you're dead wrong on this one. The relegation system worked very well this year as N. Ontario (women's) and PEI (men's) both got through the relegation process and acquitted themselves well.

I'm from B.C. and the B.C. women will have to qualify next year...so what. I'm far more interested in seeing a competitive Scotties or Brier with ample representation from the provinces/territories than I am in seeing a bunch of teams in the event that don't deserve to be there quality-wise. As long as every province or territory has entry, if needed, into the relegation round that's ample fairness to me. Give me a quality event over a watered down event any day of the week.

03-10-15 08:18PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

Curling Canada has a mandate to make the brier and Scotties open for all areas of Canada so it's either relegation or leave out parts of Canada. Nova Scotia voted for relegation but only now has a problem when it hurts them, what goes around comes around.

03-10-15 08:24PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

I am absolutely positive that this thread wouldn't have been started if N.S. would have won their last game.

03-10-15 08:43PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end

Personally, I think you're dead wrong on this one. The relegation system worked very well this year as N. Ontario (women's) and PEI (men's) both got through the relegation process and acquitted themselves well.

I'm from B.C. and the B.C. women will have to qualify next year...so what. I'm far more interested in seeing a competitive Scotties or Brier with ample representation from the provinces/territories than I am in seeing a bunch of teams in the event that don't deserve to be there quality-wise. As long as every province or territory has entry, if needed, into the relegation round that's ample fairness to me. Give me a quality event over a watered down event any day of the week.

that argument just annoys me. any team that gets there has the right to be there and no one on here should be saying they dont. you win your province and you earn the right to be at the national championship whether it be the scotties or the brier

03-10-15 09:19PM
Not Happy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Wrong I promised myself no matter who got relegated I was going to fight this thing till the end I see you are from Ontario I suppose you are also ok with Ontario being exempt from relegation in 2016 is that fare your team was one or two losses away from relegation wait you were exempt

03-10-15 09:42PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Misty1 and not happy. I understand your side of the debate. That being said, have you ever posted that it is unfair that Ont. has had 2 representatives in every Brier?

03-10-15 10:01PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Wrong I promised myself no matter who got relegated I was going to fight this thing till the end I see you are from Ontario I suppose you are also ok with Ontario being exempt from relegation in 2016 is that fare your team was one or two losses away from relegation wait you were exempt

I've said it in another tread but honestly I couldn't care less if ontario is relegated or not. There is always next year for any team relegated.

03-10-15 10:02PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

5 losses away. NT did not win a game and ON was 5-6.
And the next time the brier is Halifax, NS will be exempt.

03-10-15 11:21PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
have you ever posted that it is unfair that Ont. has had 2 representatives in every Brier?

More people live in Ontario than in any other two provinces combined. (More people live in Ontario than in the western provinces and the Maritimes combined!) So perhaps a better question would be:

Is it fair that 38% of the people have been represented by only 17% of the teams in the Brier, and (until this year) only 8% of the teams in the Tournament of Hearts?

This is not the major issue, as I see it. But I mention it to illustrate an important point: the "logic" of "fairness" cuts both ways.

Last edited by Par on 03-10-15 at 11:24PM

03-10-15 11:34PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Par

More people live in Ontario than in any other two provinces combined. (More people live in Ontario than in the western provinces and the Maritimes combined!) So perhaps a better question would be:

Is it fair that 38% of the people have been represented by only 17% of the teams in the Brier, and (until this year) only 8% of the teams in the Tournament of Hearts?

This is not the major issue, as I see it. But I mention it to illustrate an important point: the "logic" of "fairness" cuts both ways.

Thank you.

03-11-15 12:57AM
gmay48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gmay48 Click here to Send gmay48 a Private Message Find more posts by gmay48 Add gmay48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gmay48
Hitting Paint

for sure more people live in ontario but do they have 38% of the curlers. i would guess that the prairie provinces are under represented because they have more curlers per captia. of course statistics can be interpreted manu different ways. let us not get into ontario being the centre of the universe discussion.

03-11-15 12:59AM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by gmay48
for sure more people live in ontario but do they have 38% of the curlers. i would guess that the prairie provinces are under represented because they have more curlers per captia. of course statistics can be interpreted manu different ways. let us not get into ontario being the centre of the universe discussion.

I am not saying Ontario is the centre of the universe, or anything close ... just trying to point out that there are a lot of different ways to look at these questions.

03-11-15 01:31AM
Par
Swing Artist

As far as I'm concerned, this is not about NS men, or BC women. It's not about anyone in particular. It's about everybody.

In my view, if you win a provincial championship and go to a national event to represent your province, you should start out on an equal footing with all the other provincial champions.

I don't think you should have to play 3 or 4 extra games to "qualify" just because the team that won your province the previous year got clobbered at the national event.

I don't think you should have to play your preliminary games in an empty arena. I don't think you should have to play a crucial game while the rest of the provincial champions are playing hot-shots.

I don't think your friends and family should have to wait until the opening draw is over before they know whether it's going to be worthwhile to take a week off work and fly across the country to support you.

I don't think curling fans from your province will be as likely to attend the national championship if they aren't assured they will have somebody to cheer for.

And in many other ways, I think the current setup shows a lack of respect to the game, to the players, and to some of the most honourable traditions of curling.

Some posters have said, "If you're good enough, you'll qualify. No big deal." But it is a big deal. Even if you win all your qualifying games, you are still at a disadvantage compared to the other teams, because they've been chilling out while you were fighting for your life. If your fitness levels are even with all the other teams, your front end will wear down before the others -- inevitably. It's always a grueling event. Why should it be more grueling for one team than for all the others?

Some posters have said, "So what? There's always next year." But there's a good chance that next year will belong to somebody else. A lot of players only get one shot at it. Should they start out behind the 8-ball just because a team from their province lost too many games the previous year?

I have a lot of other concerns, but these are high on my list. It doesn't have anything to do with BC women or NS men. I would feel the same way no matter who won, no matter who got relegated.

It doesn't have to be this way. It could have done in a way that honoured all the provincial champions. I wish it had been, and I'm appalled that it wasn't.

That's my opinion. You are not required to share it.

03-11-15 02:34AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

Over 1 million people watched the Brier final. The semifinal got more viewers than the Maple Leafs on a Saturday night. In case people don't realize this, curling is a big time sport. With big, big TV money (attendance revenue is miniscule in comparison). Curling Canada does not care (and they shouldn't) if there is a portion of the 'everyone gets a ribbon' crowd who are mad about relegation.

Make signs, boycott sponsors (I'm sure Tim Hortons and Ford will really feel the fiscal crunch) - it's your right as Canadians. But to think that Curling Canada is going to care that a few people are upset is absurd.

Oh, the World Championships (which have had relegation forever) seem like great place to protest relegation. I wonder why we never have protested when poor Denmark or Czech Republic get relegated??

I understand that some people think that a 'national championship' must have every province and territory represented. I, and Curling Canada, don't. Every province and territory has an opportunity to be there.. you just can't be one of the worst 3 teams. For sport at the highest level to crown a national champion, I hardly think the mandate needs to be "every province/territory, no matter how bad, must participate".

03-11-15 03:25AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

Anyone arguing for the removal of Northern Ontario either doesn't understand NOCA or is willfully ignorant to it.

The national championships are a contest not between provinces, but between member associations. Look at how the CCA is structured.

Member. Associations.

03-11-15 10:59AM
Mr.C is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.C Click here to Send Mr.C a Private Message Find more posts by Mr.C Add Mr.C to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr.C
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by decade

5 losses away. NT did not win a game and ON was 5-6.
And the next time the brier is Halifax, NS will be exempt.

If the Brier is in a province, then that province is guaranteed a spot in it. So no your wrong.

03-11-15 11:12AM
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
I wonder why we never have protested when poor Denmark or Czech Republic get relegated??

Thanks for mentioning the World Championships. We could learn a lot by watching how their playdowns are structured.

In particular, how many teams will come into Halifax a few days ahead of time, play 2 or 3 games, and then get sent home? ZERO.

Teams qualify for World Championships (or fail to do so) months in advance. The teams and their supporters know whether they are going to be in the event for a whole week (or not), well ahead of time.

Nobody is forced to try to qualify while the rest of the event has already started. Nobody has to play a game while the rest of the field plays hot-shots. And for the teams that do qualify, the event is a level playing field.

Canadians used to say (still say) "The Europeans don't know what they're doing." So it's kind of ironic that their qualifying system now makes a lot more sense than ours.

03-11-15 11:37AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Par

Thanks for mentioning the World Championships. We could learn a lot by watching how their playdowns are structured.

In particular, how many teams will come into Halifax a few days ahead of time, play 2 or 3 games, and then get sent home? ZERO.

Teams qualify for World Championships (or fail to do so) months in advance. The teams and their supporters know whether they are going to be in the event for a whole week (or not), well ahead of time.

Nobody is forced to try to qualify while the rest of the event has already started. Nobody has to play a game while the rest of the field plays hot-shots. And for the teams that do qualify, the event is a level playing field.

Canadians used to say (still say) "The Europeans don't know what they're doing." So it's kind of ironic that their qualifying system now makes a lot more sense than ours.

The world's actually have no relegation, it's the European championships that relegates between A,B,C groups, something the world's and maybe even the brier/ Scotties should have.

03-11-15 11:56AM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Personally, I think the relegation process may make the provincial/territorial curling organizations work harder to grow the game among young people. There's no longer that automatic spot, no matter how few people play the game in a respective region. The old system (guaranteed participation in the Scotties and Brier) certainly hasn't helped grow the game among young people in some provinces/territories. Maybe the new one will. Get creative - use 'we won't be defeated by relegation' as a marketing tool to attract young curlers...as opposed to a crying towel.

03-11-15 04:11PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end
Personally, I think the relegation process may make the provincial/territorial curling organizations work harder to grow the game among young people. There's no longer that automatic spot, no matter how few people play the game in a respective region. The old system (guaranteed participation in the Scotties and Brier) certainly hasn't helped grow the game among young people in some provinces/territories. Maybe the new one will. Get creative - use 'we won't be defeated by relegation' as a marketing tool to attract young curlers...as opposed to a crying towel.

I'm sorry, but your post shows a marked lack of historical knowledge. Junior participation in our province has steadily declined since the end of including High Schools as part of Jr. provincial championships and the start of elite junior camps. This is a fact borne out by data that Curl BC has but chooses to ignore.

The real answer is different and not related to this thread.

Back to the topic. I don't agree with relegation because its unnecessary. The Brier can easily be tweaked for more teams simply by adding a fifth sheet. Or, god help us we use common sense, the Yukon, NWT and Nunavut play off for one rep as done in the past.

As for boycotting the Worlds and its sponsors. Personally I'm against it. However, if the CCA continues to ignore the voice of the curlers then you leave those affected no choice.

And don't think a boycott aimed at sponsors doesn't work. Remember the CBC Country Canada debacle? Didn't take too much for that to change once the sponsors got peed off.

Last edited by jamcan on 03-11-15 at 04:18PM

03-11-15 04:39PM
golfbuddy43 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for golfbuddy43 Find more posts by golfbuddy43 Add golfbuddy43 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
golfbuddy43
Harvey Hacksmasher

I watched the Juniors games online and I noticed that they had 5 sheets of ice. We could do the same thing here in Canada as we don't need the sidewalks between the sheets like we now do. There can be a couple of sheets set up for tv, but with the games being played in hockey rinks, they already have the necessary TV setup in place. This would allow us to have more teams with 3 draws per day.