Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-08-16 11:19AM
Brushing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brushing Find more posts by Brushing Add Brushing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brushing
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

You should not add minerals to the ice. An Ice Maker will slap you for suggesting it. The minerals float to teh top in the frozen matrix, and make the ice slow. Ice must be pure

Also, if you harden the ice then you will break "curling" and we will be left with "straighting". The brooms aren't the only thing scratching the ice! The whole reason the rocks curl is because their spin causes the same scratches that the brushes create.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-08-16 01:10PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
lol smear lol bullies. lol

i apologize to the republicans - cant hold a candle to u 3

Make up your mind fresca. One post they're all cheaters but on another they're not bullies for brow beating teams using the same techniques they are.

You claim to be an old experienced competitive player. Then surely you remember how it was with snowplowing and cornering 35 years ago and why rules - easily enforceable ones- were put in place.

And now we all know that it is primarily (I'd go 85-15%) techniques and not the equipment causing the broomhaha. So the question becomes: what's the right thing to do?

Simple, change the rule back. And everyone stop whining about officials. We can not continue on this insane notion of self-policing the game at a high level. It will not work. If it did, we'd have catchers calling strikes and balls, goalies calling penalties, etc. Grow up, accept the fact we need officials and move forward.

Meanwhile, now that we've outlawed plowing (again), let's hire an independent lab to conduct proper, scientific testing to determine how much affect techniques and equipment affect things and make sane,logical rules based on the results.

That's correct, an independent lab with no ties or relationships with any suppliers. And all the results are released publicly so anyone can have access to them.

And, once again, it won't happen because it makes too much sense, takes power away from governing bodies and might cut into revenues. It's also time that associations started to take the 'considerations' of partner sponsors out of the decision making process.

Do sponsors worry about what the WCT thinks about their business decisions? They'd LTFAO at that notion. So why are we so concerned about taking them into consideration everytime we change a rule?

We're a huge Olympic sport now. If one sponsor wants to pull the plug because we, say, keep the game at 10 ends then there's others waiting to take their place for the exposure and audience we have. And that also goes for TV networks trying to constantly change the game.

Time we took back the sport.

Last edited by jamcan on 02-08-16 at 01:28PM

02-08-16 02:53PM
Curlrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlrock Click here to Send Curlrock a Private Message Find more posts by Curlrock Add Curlrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

My favorite post regarding brushing was essentially:

"We officiate a rock released a half and inch over the hogline which has essentially has no effect on the end result, but can't seem to or don't want to officiate brushing which can have a dramatic effect on the end result".

Not sure if it was on this blog or another, but put's things in perspective for me.

02-08-16 03:27PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Nobody can say that the semi or the finals of the Tankard were boring.

Instead what were were seeing was an even higher premium being placed on strategy.

I have so far been 100% against directional brushing and 'joy sticking' the rock. And I am not saying that I've changed my mind. But I am saying that the one ice product was truly fabulous this weekend.

I know what you are saying but I can't see any good coming of this long term. If teams are now using two hair brooms and really are joy sticking the rock (which they appear to do very well, first sweeper keeps it straight to get around guard, other sweeper pushes it behind the guard after it gets by the guard) I don't want even MORE strategy in the game and less technical skill. Over the past decade we have seen tons of high level strategy and great curling. Chess isn't televised because it is all 100% strategy and no skill. I want to see shots made and missed, I want to see some rocks crash on the guard sometimes. The number of 100% curled games seems crazy this year.

Curling and golf have a similar problem. The "pros" and amateurs play by the same set of rules. Well I don't play beer league hockey with the same rules that the NHL uses and for good reason.

I think the solution might be let club curlers use heads that are manufactured differently by different suppliers but that GrandSlam/Provincial Playdowns Zones/etc there is just a simple synthetic brush cover prepared by the organizing committee that fits whatever broom head type you want. (If it's even possible to make a brush head surface that doesn't scratch the ice in such a way as to provide rock direction?) There's been talk in golf of having a "standard" ball that all pros must use and its only been talk but it might come to that "one day" as they drive the ball further and further each year. Perhaps in the curling world we have already arrived at that "day".

Just idle thoughts....has anybody seen hair brushes and single brushers only in a Tuesday night club league yet? I suppose if there is a larger margin to miss the broom and have your sweepers make up for it we might see more teams enter playdowns instead of fewer teams (lol.)

Last edited by Three on 02-08-16 at 03:30PM

02-08-16 03:55PM
RandyPark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RandyPark Click here to Send RandyPark a Private Message Visit RandyPark's homepage! Find more posts by RandyPark Add RandyPark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RandyPark
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Flat Hat

Really cool videos and technology! Do you use the red lights to indicate the broom to the device?

Do you have sweeping machines yet? I think that having both done by a consistent machine is the only way to truly determine the effectiveness of materials and sweeping techniques.

Thanks! The red light is actually from a laser on SweepTracker that is used to line up the shot and verify it is on track as it is launching the rock.

We're not working on a sweeping machine. Though I agree it could be useful in evaluations, say for manufacturers, our goal is to help players and teams measure and improve their performance.
quote:
Anyway, good work and cool implementation, something that any club could set up easily without all the rails and such that previous devices have used.

That's the idea, we're currently offering clinics as we make the unit more user friendly so that anyone can use it.

02-08-16 04:01PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

Pretty amazing video on directional curling....have not seen this one before (link works without facebook login)

https://www.facebook.com/Everything...365238836835039

02-08-16 04:38PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

First they repealed the rules that regulated sweeping, so techniques formerly regarded as cheating are now legal.

And it turned out that by using the newly legalized techniques, sweepers could make the rocks do funny things. Clearly the problem that arose when they changed the rules is a direct result of that change.

But nobody could see this, because that would entail admitting that repealing the old rules was a mistake ... so now they are having secret meetings and planning to ban equipment that has been legal -- and unproblematic -- for decades.

We're told to trust the people in the secret meetings, and to believe that the sport is in good hands.

Yeah! Sure it is!

And hair brushes should be banned because so many teams are using them. Bravo!!

Last edited by Par on 02-08-16 at 04:44PM

02-08-16 06:02PM
Posada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Posada Click here to Send Posada a Private Message Visit Posada's homepage! Find more posts by Posada Add Posada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Posada
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
both teams averaged 92%

last week in wpg Matt Dunstone team averaded 97%

" is this really a serious problem ? ". guess

And you're going to take shooting percentages seriously?

Have you not read endless thread discussions, for years now, on how horrendously imperfect the current curling scoring methods are?

02-08-16 06:04PM
Flat Hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flat Hat Click here to Send Flat Hat a Private Message Find more posts by Flat Hat Add Flat Hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Nobody can say that the semi or the finals of the Tankard were boring.

Instead what were were seeing was an even higher premium being placed on strategy.

I have so far been 100% against directional brushing and 'joy sticking' the rock. And I am not saying that I've changed my mind. But I am saying that the one ice product was truly fabulous this weekend.

I agree, I was being a bit facetious about it being boring, I never thought the hit game was boring... or that the game at the top levels is much different now with the FGZ. What were peels are now ticks.

People don't watch sports to see missed shots, incomplete passes, dropped fly balls, etc... outside of nascar, which seems to be mostly a chance to crash cars, excellent play making is what makes great spectator sports.

02-08-16 06:06PM
Flat Hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flat Hat Click here to Send Flat Hat a Private Message Find more posts by Flat Hat Add Flat Hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Brushing

Also, if you harden the ice then you will break "curling" and we will be left with "straighting". The brooms aren't the only thing scratching the ice! The whole reason the rocks curl is because their spin causes the same scratches that the brushes create.

When it comes to scratching, my money is on granite over 'hardened' ice. That said, you would still need to regulate broom heads to be sure that we didn't just make them out of diamond impregnated cloth.

02-08-16 06:59PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Par
First they repealed the rules that regulated sweeping, so techniques formerly regarded as cheating are now legal.

And it turned out that by using the newly legalized techniques, sweepers could make the rocks do funny things. Clearly the problem that arose when they changed the rules is a direct result of that change.

But nobody could see this, because that would entail admitting that repealing the old rules was a mistake ... so now they are having secret meetings and planning to ban equipment that has been legal -- and unproblematic -- for decades.

We're told to trust the people in the secret meetings, and to believe that the sport is in good hands.

Yeah! Sure it is!

And hair brushes should be banned because so many teams are using them. Bravo!!

Great post. Makes far too much sense though. 😉

02-08-16 07:20PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Hair brushes will likely be banned next with Norway's #2 ranked Men's team doing some testing in practice. In talking to one of their players, Team Edin was also able to do the same with hair as well:
http://www.curlingzone.com/talk/?p=445

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

02-08-16 08:04PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

The video in question shows brushing techniques which have been and still should be illegal.

The fact that this effect can be achieved with hair brushes does not actually demonstrate that hair brushes ought to be banned. It only shows that the rules formerly in effect should never have been repealed.

Benny says he can do the same thing with a synthetic brush. So what does this mean? Does it mean synthetic brushes should also be banned? Or does his #GetRidOfThem only apply to hair brushes?

02-08-16 08:23PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

problem solved

NO BRUSHING. Throw the rock, no brushing ever until it stops. Solved, except for those pesky broom company sponsors of WCF and Curling Canada. Absurd? Yes, but what is it coming to? As many people before have stated and I agree, it's much more the technique. Go back to the old rules and 90-95% of this goes away. Either that or make it a free-for-all. Anything goes. Shut up and play.

Did anyone at WCF or Curling Canada ask the previous poster with the robotic testing his findings? If not, why? Why wouldn't you want as much INTELLIGENT information in order to make an informed decision, rather than just arbitrarily banning all these different brooms? First it was certain brands, then brands with inserts, then brands with so-called directional fabric. Now it seems to be all hair brooms are next. What's left?

02-08-16 08:54PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Par
The video in question shows brushing techniques which have been and still should be illegal.

The fact that this effect can be achieved with hair brushes does not actually demonstrate that hair brushes ought to be banned. It only shows that the rules formerly in effect should never have been repealed.

Benny says he can do the same thing with a synthetic brush. So what does this mean? Does it mean synthetic brushes should also be banned? Or does his #GetRidOfThem only apply to hair brushes?

Benny said with SOME fabric brushes. It's a very important word in the discussion. And yes, the synthetic brushes he can do it with have been banned.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

02-08-16 08:58PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Nothing will happen until the Brier is complete, I hope. There is no way that the WCF can allow hair brooms at Euros, Asia/Pacific, US Nats and not allow all National championships to have the same rules.

Either dump all sweeping or lets go back to using a besom. That would make all the ice guys happy.

Hey, is a hammer legal? That was a pretty stiff broom.

Anyone got some rinkrats? Throw some sandpaper on the outside of those and you can make lots of scratches.

02-08-16 09:41PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

There is an understandable level of frustration and confusion on the question of brushing.

There are also, however, very many good curling minds working towards a solution. And there is nothing that has taken place so far that leads me to believe that we will not in fairly short order achieve solutions that will leave this as a momentary blip in the history of curling.

Yes the curling officials and the elite curlers have been working with incomplete knowledge. Welcome to breakthroughs and the real world.

Yes the rules making bodies are hampered by structure and the requirement for consultation. But none of those things are bad things they are very much the opposite. Aka. What reduces the possibility of takeovers by single minded individuals acting with wrongheaded fervor.

Have patience my friends and dial down the pejorative rhetoric. At the end of the day what curling has over and above any other sport is sportsmanship and goodwill among rivals.

To lose that which makes us special among all games over something ultimately so small would be the essence of a crying shame.

02-09-16 02:29AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Brushing

The brooms aren't the only thing scratching the ice! The whole reason the rocks curl is because their spin causes the same scratches that the brushes create.

The pressure that sweepers put on the brooms is far, far greater than the 40 pounds of a rock.
Therefore, sweepers who scratch the ice scratch it far more than the mere rocks do.

It was very ironic - in a sad way - to see the Team Howard sweepers this past weekend habitually following rocks and sweeping them from DIRECTLY BEHIND as the rocks traveled down the ice. This, from the same hypocritical team who were so vocally critical of 'joysticking' and snow-plowing earlier this season.
Apparently, it's only wrong when other teams - or teams who don't use Balance Plus brooms - do it...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

02-09-16 08:05AM
Toronto_curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toronto_curler Click here to Send Toronto_curler a Private Message Find more posts by Toronto_curler Add Toronto_curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toronto_curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

On The Nose - you should read the Curling Canada interview of Jacobs - he talks about how he doesn't like the new sweeping techniques and would prefer that they were controlled, but they use them nonetheless. You can be against the technique, and still use it.

Why put yourself at such a competitive disadvantage?

Interview: http://www.curling.ca/blog/2016/02/...th-brad-jacobs/

02-09-16 08:35AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Wasn't sure where to show this video so thought I'd put it here. Maybe Gerry will move it. Copied from f/b this a.m.

https://www.facebook.com/Everything...365238836835039

02-09-16 10:47AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

I was sitting on the fence regarding the effectiveness of the new brushing techniques, but, the video on Facebook has me convinced that it probably a good idea to ban the use of hair brooms. Since the governing organizations have banned brooms such as Hardline, it is only logical that hair brooms should follow.

02-09-16 11:28AM
SooCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SooCurler Click here to Send SooCurler a Private Message Find more posts by SooCurler Add SooCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SooCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by dks
I was sitting on the fence regarding the effectiveness of the new brushing techniques, but, the video on Facebook has me convinced that it probably a good idea to ban the use of hair brooms. Since the governing organizations have banned brooms such as Hardline, it is only logical that hair brooms should follow.

They aren't even hair brooms anymore. They are mostly synthetic. The new goldline broom for example is majority synthetic material and creates so much action for the rocks that some teams are now using TWO hair brooms to manipulate rocks. One such team may have just won the Ontario tankard. And by may, I of course mean did just win.

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

The pressure that sweepers put on the brooms is far, far greater than the 40 pounds of a rock.
Therefore, sweepers who scratch the ice scratch it far more than the mere rocks do.

It was very ironic - in a sad way - to see the Team Howard sweepers this past weekend habitually following rocks and sweeping them from DIRECTLY BEHIND as the rocks traveled down the ice. This, from the same hypocritical team who were so vocally critical of 'joysticking' and snow-plowing earlier this season.
Apparently, it's only wrong when other teams - or teams who don't use Balance Plus brooms - do it...

See comment above. There was a reason they used TWO hair brooms all week.

02-09-16 11:31AM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

I thought that team was against " joystick" curling and one sweeper curling?

02-09-16 12:24PM
SooCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SooCurler Click here to Send SooCurler a Private Message Find more posts by SooCurler Add SooCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SooCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
I thought that team was against " joystick" curling and one sweeper curling?

I think you can be against it but use it. If you don't you are probably gonna get beat by it. Is it hypocritical sure. If it gets you a trip to the brier... well more power to you.

That Ontario final had one team with two synthetic hair brooms vs a team with only one. One team was able to back up hits to avoid wrecking, one wasn't. Both teams are anti new sweeping techniques and both use them to good effect. But it is sad that EQUIPMENT was the deciding factor in Brier berth and not skill.

02-10-16 01:37AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Toronto_curler
On The Nose - you should read the Curling Canada interview of Jacobs - he talks about how he doesn't like the new sweeping techniques and would prefer that they were controlled, but they use them nonetheless. You can be against the technique, and still use it.

Why put yourself at such a competitive disadvantage?

Interview: http://www.curling.ca/blog/2016/02/...th-brad-jacobs/

Thanks for the link. I particularly liked Jacobs' final answer - which was his question to the next interviewee - about being a role model for young curlers. It's good that that is important to him.

While Jacobs openly admitted that his team uses the new sweeping techniques that he doesn't like, Glenn Howard made no such admission. Quite the opposite - he accused others of doing it, while claiming his own innocence. That's the difference between Jacobs and Howard, I guess...

Glenn Howard went on TV earlier in the season and very deliberately and specifically said that the new sweeping was ridiculous, and that he was very much against it in principle. Of course, that was during the period where he was (unfairly) targeting the Hardline brush pads, and said it in the context of This is what some (Hardline) teams are doing, and its wrong, claiming himself innocent of the practice. He basically called it cheating, only without using the actual word cheating.

To see his team now doing the exact same thing as he was so vocally critical of and against in principle is itself ridiculous, and not deserving of any respect.
He claimed to be a man of principle. Men of principle do not, under any circumstance, employ methods they denounce as being wrong. That his team is now doing the same thing with hair brooms and his manufacturers synthetic brush heads that he claimed to be so strongly against when it was being done with Hardline brush heads makes anything he says from now on to be not worthy of anything but ignoring.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson